which weapon type do you prefer?

Options
Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Venomancer
Magic swords, wands, glaives, or patakas?

Personally i havent exactly picked a favorite, but I'm excluding patakas
>.<
Post edited by Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    For some reason, I've always prefers a nice magical sword. <3

*cuddles her TT80 magic sword*

I HATE patakas and glaives. >=(
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Well, im think in terms of "what wep should i use after requim blade" I'm looking for a wep with at least a balanced magic and physical attack , maybe -channeling, etc. I was thinking aquadash, buddha's leaf, or neon purgatory. (even though i hate wands) I like the spike damage of aquadash, the vitality on buddhas leaf (since im low on this anyways) and the overall stats of neon purgatory.

Anyways, thoughts on blade of the red dust?
    >.<
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I prefer swords, but will take whatever I can get (priority given to -channel)
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    well whatever wep i get after requim blade has to last me till lvl 100. Im just wondering if an aquadash would last till then. Im trying to think in terms of what might be best for a HA/AA veno too (excluding lunar pataka) I dont know too many HA venos on sanc, so i cant really look at their gear and judge it.
    >.<
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I run 3 weapons and change based on needs...I've got the 95 lunar, TT90 glaive, and TT90 sword. I like all of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I prefer swords, but will take whatever I can get (priority given to -channel)

Which lunar wep? .... oops wrong quote :/
    >.<
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I run 3 weapons and change based on needs...I've got the 95 lunar, TT90 glaive, and TT90 sword. I like all of them.

sorry for double post... which lunar wep?
    >.<
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    All 4 weapon types are availabe as TT99, TT100, and nirvana, so you can do a side-by-side comparison of their base stats. If you do that, you'll notice the following patterns:

Magic attack:
    All have the same average damage.
    wand: range +/- 1%
    m.sword: range +/- 10%
    glaive: range +/- 20%
    pataka: range +/- 30%

Physical attack:
    Average damage varies, comparisons use m.sword as 100%.
    m.sword: average damage 100%, range +/- 20%
    glaive: average damage: 94.5%, range +/- 15%
    pataka: average damage: 83.4%, range +/- 10% (adjusted for slower attack rate)
    wand: 77.8%, range +/- 10%

My veno is heavy so frequently melees. I prefer swords, but will use glaives as well. I tried using two weapons for a while, one with magic shards and one with melee shards. But for the cost of the second weapon, I could refine the magic weapon to where it did more melee damage than the melee weapon. So now I just use one weapon.

For melee, patakas are particularly bad with -interval gear, since less interval favors faster weapons. e.g. With no interval gear, the pataka's DPS scales as 25% less. But with -0.3 interval gear (the max), the pataka's DPS scales as 40% less. In the above list that would place it at 74.4%, below wands. Pathetic.
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I like my veno using magic swords best, same as my cleric. ^^

But I don't mind her using glaives if there's little else available for a reasonable price.
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I like swords best but i'm not sure if the stats will work for a caster build at higher levels. Do swords get -chan?
  • Sasha_Wolfen - Dreamweaver
    Sasha_Wolfen - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've always thought patakas are the coolest looking on a veno, but their stats are so terrible I wont ever use one again. I find that magic swords are the most effective, due to their tighter range of magic damage, and high physical damage (I play an LA fox/caster hybrid). If somehow patakas could get their damage range tightened up and their attack rate raised, then I might start using them again, but I'm sure that will never happen.
  • ElaqKat - Sanctuary
    ElaqKat - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I usually have two weapons handy, swords and bow, that way if i am low on mana, i can use a distance attack with my bow, and when the attacker gets closer, I switch to my swords for a slower, but more potent attack

http://catguides4u.blogspot.com/
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I like swords best but i'm not sure if the stats will work for a caster build at higher levels. Do swords get -chan?

TT 99 green swords have -6% chan and TT90 wraith conquerer has -3%. But neon purgatory refines better, and has -6% chan. However it's a wand >.>
    >.<
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TT 99 green swords have -6% chan and TT90 wraith conquerer has -3%. But neon purgatory refines better, and has -6% chan. However it's a wand >.>
    I think the fact that NP refines better is being blown a bit out of proportion. Yes it refines better, but it really doesn't pull fall ahead until you get it to about +8 or higher. If you can afford to do that, you're probably more interested in Nirvana gear for endgame.

If you can't afford that, then there isn't much difference in magic attack between NP and TT99. I'd concern myself more with the wand having a 1% variability in damage vs. the other weapons having 10%-30% variability.

Average magic attack of TT99 / NP
    +0: 923.5 / 923.5, diff=0 (0.0%)
    +1: 945.5 / 951.5, diff=6 (0.6%)
    +2: 967.5 / 979.5, diff=12 (1.2%)
    +3: 990.5 / 1008.5, diff=18 (1.8%)
    +4: 1017.5 / 1043.5, diff=26 (2.6%)
    +5: 1049.5 / 1083.5, diff=34 (3.2%)
    +6: 1089.5, 1134.5, diff=45 (4.1%)
    +7: 1141.5 / 1201.5, diff=60 (5.3%)
    +8: 1209.5 / 1287.5, diff=78 (6.5%)
    +9: 1298.5 / 1400.5, diff=102 (7.9%)
    +10: 1413.5 / 1547.5, diff=134 (9.5%)
    +11: 1561.5 / 1735.5, diff=174 (11.1%)
    +12: 1748.5 / 1973.5, diff=225 (12.9%)
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i prefer magic swords for all my casters
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think the fact that NP refines better is being blown a bit out of proportion. Yes it refines better, but it really doesn't pull fall ahead until you get it to about +8 or higher. If you can afford to do that, you're probably more interested in Nirvana gear for endgame.

If you can't afford that, then there isn't much difference in magic attack between NP and TT99. I'd concern myself more with the wand having a 1% variability in damage vs. the other weapons having 10%-30% variability.

Average magic attack of TT99 / NP
    +0: 923.5 / 923.5, diff=0 (0.0%)
    +1: 945.5 / 951.5, diff=6 (0.6%)
    +2: 967.5 / 979.5, diff=12 (1.2%)
    +3: 990.5 / 1008.5, diff=18 (1.8%)
    +4: 1017.5 / 1043.5, diff=26 (2.6%)
    +5: 1049.5 / 1083.5, diff=34 (3.2%)
    +6: 1089.5, 1134.5, diff=45 (4.1%)
    +7: 1141.5 / 1201.5, diff=60 (5.3%)
    +8: 1209.5 / 1287.5, diff=78 (6.5%)
    +9: 1298.5 / 1400.5, diff=102 (7.9%)
    +10: 1413.5 / 1547.5, diff=134 (9.5%)
    +11: 1561.5 / 1735.5, diff=174 (11.1%)
    +12: 1748.5 / 1973.5, diff=225 (12.9%)

If you can afford a NP, then you can afford +8. To be interested in nirvana gear you should be able to afford +10 without flinching. I'd also say that the difference is significant past +7.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My daughter likes using glaives, so do I for my veno melee. Its because they look like axes in a way xD. Most P.ATK??? dunno but seems so.

My veno is melee fox ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Naughty - Harshlands
    Naughty - Harshlands Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you are a heavy or vitality arcane build then you should consider weapons with high base magic attack for better pet heals as those builds have minimum magic . But those weapons have a low range. Examples are fc weapon sensiod and lunar weapon neon purgatory.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I wish Neon Purgatory was a magic sword. Planning on getting one when (or if) I get to level 94-95. Currently, Im using a Emerald Flame, gold frost weapon. Doesnt really matter for me though.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I wish Neon Purgatory was a magic sword. Planning on getting one when (or if) I get to level 94-95. Currently, Im using a Emerald Flame, gold frost weapon. Doesnt really matter for me though.

I completely agree with that statement. If neon purgatory was a magic sword, i would snatch that up right away. But, since it's not, I'm fighting between neon purgatory, aquadash, or fate denial:godspeed.
    >.<
  • JollyJaguar - Sanctuary
    JollyJaguar - Sanctuary Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Magic swords.. Glaives cut my legs and pataka's make my char stand strange...
    Wraith Conqueror<3

Although the OHT glaive looks really cool too and doesnt cut yer leg I believe :O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Magic swords.. Glaives cut my legs and pataka's make my char stand strange...
    Wraith Conqueror<3

Although the OHT glaive looks really cool too and doesnt cut yer leg I believe :O

I like the glaive's attack but yes i hate that my legs are cut off b:cry. It just hurts so much.

And patakas make the venos stand provacative b:avoid
    >.<
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I prefer glaives and swords. I hate wands and pataka's >.<
    I like spending some time in fox form every now and then. phys attack is good when have using glaives and swords. Helps me when taking out clerics or wizzie's >:]

I prefer glaives though... when my veno runs she swings with her swords >__> I mean.. girl.. that's dangerous XD she looks like a lil girl playing with a sword that's too heavy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Serinregis - Lost City
    Serinregis - Lost City Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    if you are talking about a specific weapon, then I would go for glaive, since the TT99 fate denial: godspeed is just godly (imo). Like NP, it has -channeling and +magic, but i prefer vit over +crit, since as a future HA veno, my crit is going to be low anyway, and i can always use demon (?) fox wallop for critting (20% chance of course).

Either that or Wraith's Conquerer at 90, with +mag +vit and -channeling like godspeed, except with lower -channeling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    if you are talking about a specific weapon, then I would go for glaive, since the TT99 fate denial: godspeed is just godly (imo). Like NP, it has -channeling and +magic, but i prefer vit over +crit, since as a future HA veno, my crit is going to be low anyway, and i can always use demon (?) fox wallop for critting (20% chance of course).

Either that or Wraith's Conquerer at 90, with +mag +vit and -channeling like godspeed, except with lower -channeling.

Yea, I'm thinking basically the same thing. Except aquadash is comparable to godspeed. Maybe get aquadash, use it, refine it +6 or more, sell it, make the TT99 pataka, and reforge it into the nirvana glaive (same stats as godspeed)....
    but i doubt ill be that lucky.

edit: Just did a idea of a build that i'd like at 99, more HP with godspeed ofc, but looking at numbers aquadash does more damage. both at +7 with a grade 11 sapphire buffed

Aquadash: 6596-8263
    Godspeed: 6379-8203

It appears that Aquadash does more damage, but the question is, would Godspeed do more damage, since it channels faster?
    >.<