2 new players looking for answers!

bootlip
bootlip Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
Well while me and the wife are waiting on download.Thought id stop by and browse the forum to gain some knowledge.With this being said was hoping some kind heart person would answer my questions so once the download is complete im ready to jump in.

First of we are a great team and most games that seem similar to this we usually make characters to help one another.I like to be a beats tank while the wife likes to heal but don't like to be a chump either.

1)So what 2 charterers would go well together for these styles
2) Whats the best server with helpful folks
3) And any other useful tips :)
Post edited by bootlip on

Comments

• Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I guess you'd most likely be looking for a barb*-cleric combo.

And since your wife doesn't like being a chump, she might wanna put some points into vit to help boost survivability a bit. I don't play either class, so don't just take my word for it.

Some tips I guess would be:

PVP servers (Lost City, Harshlands)= anybody above lv 30 is free game for everyone. Yes, that means level 100's can PK you, any time, anywhere outside of safe zone. No complaining about this once you roll PVP ;)

Don't forget to pick up your drops.

Be nice and courteous, etc etc.

All the best, and hopefully your download goes by fast :)

edit* sorry i failed, i meant barb-cleric lmao.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    A barb and cleric would be a good combination.

You can also check the class discussion threads to look at potential builds and what is generally expected of the character you choose.

Also decide which preference you have as to PK.
    PK on a PvE is ultimately pointless as the majority of people stand outside west arc gate killing level 30s as there isn't much killing to go around. (You can turn pk mode on and off from level 30).
    PK on a PvP would be much more fun if your that way inclined as danger is everywhere. (You cannot turn of pk mode from level 30 onwards).
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Ingway - Sanctuary
    Ingway - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like a BM (Blademaster) and Cleric combo to me.

I play a BM usually while my sibling plays a cleric. The random clerics I come across are afraid of the way I play since I engage multiple melee mobs, but my sibling doesn't have a problem at all with it and does a good job keeping me alive (we keep each other alive). The only problem is tanking bosses that my BM doesn't have the capacity to tank yet. And clerics deal good damage if required.

Barb and cleric combo is all right, but mob control is a bit of a problem.

I'm assuming you like melee classes (if that's what beats tank means), so I'll leave wizards, archers and venos out of the equation. (Except for heavy venos, which I don't know much about.)

Server wise, I play on a PvE server (Sanctuary). So I can't speak for other servers. It's okay so far.

Other tips would be surfing the class specific forums for guides, and reading up argument threads especially. Lots of discussion on class pros and cons (including a late stage decision on going Sage/Demon) give you a better idea on what cliques with your interest most.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Barbarian + Cleric seems like the most basic 2-person combo, but unfortunately you would be doing different quests until level 20. Of course, you could just go back and forth between quests, helping each other, if you're not in a hurry.

And your wife need not worry, Clerics are far from chumps. They can do a lot of damage and can often tank things no other class can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • bootlip
    bootlip Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Wow that was fast thank you all for the advice.We are very geeked to get playing..More then likely will be doing PVE server.Again thank you all for tips
  • PsychoChickn - Dreamweaver
    PsychoChickn - Dreamweaver Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And really, have a male/female team. If you invest real money in a faster flier, the male can carry the female. That means you only have to buy one, not two. At level 30 you get a faster flier than the basic one, and after a week when you really like it, it goes away. You can also hug and kiss each other. Wether you like it or not, it does build chi a lot quicker than killing mobs.

I would go with blademaster/Cleric because while the barb is hard to kill, it does little damage. The blademaster can kill a lot faster, and will usually stay out of trouble with the cleric nearby. Those mobs that are magical enough to give the blademaster fits will fall to the cleric, and vica versa. A great pairing to just go out and clobber stuff, and to enjoy the game with just the two of you. A barb/cleric combo would need the cleric to do a lot of the damage. If your style is to play slow and carefull, that would be your choice. The barb/cleric would need friends to do real damage, but those freinds would value you two. The barb/cleirc pairing just might get boring if you want to almost always go out as just the two of you. Either pairing would work well, and after you find in game friends, you should be all set for months of enjoying the game.
  • Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Just play the chars i like most we all here for fun arent we???of course barb cleric is great to get into bhs pts, my advise is for u to chosse the class that fits u most.

One advise for u is get a fly mount since the lvl 10 or 20 cause the most boring part is walking around from one place to another,(faster fly mount the better u really recomende the 3.2 one)...

Keep in mind that Tideborn mounts are cheaper thant the others classes
  • Limeball - Heavens Tear
    Limeball - Heavens Tear Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'd say either blademaster and cleric or barbarian and cleric. Blademasters are more balanced, decent at holding aggro with stuns and a threat level skill. They can shift their magical and physical defenses also to suit their needs.

Barbarian would be a superior tanker to the blademaster, but he has lesser damage. A barb + cleric combo would allow you to better solo instances and farm gear for yourselves without having to worry about other people bothering you in your squads for material drops. (Twilight temple)

Even if the cleric is simply a pure build and arcane wearer, they have crazy damage and when played right, is not something you want to mess with in PvP. The first few levels till 30 are pretty hard for clerics, but after this playing one is very rewarding.
    Reikara - 94 HA/AA Veno - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Limeball -84 Assassin - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Reikarah - 99 Seeker - Sanctuary - Retired

Why do I stick around? I draw pwi fanart.
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    bootlip wrote: »
    Well while me and the wife are waiting on download.Thought id stop by and browse the forum to gain some knowledge.With this being said was hoping some kind heart person would answer my questions so once the download is complete im ready to jump in.

First of we are a great team and most games that seem similar to this we usually make characters to help one another.I like to be a beats tank while the wife likes to heal but don't like to be a chump either.

1)So what 2 charterers would go well together for these styles
    2) Whats the best server with helpful folks
    3) And any other useful tips :)

Accept comments on your playstyle gracefully if you have been told repeatedly on the same thing.