Pet Growth, Stats.

Sekhmett - Harshlands
Sekhmett - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Venomancer
I am new to this class and am seeking some clarification. Someone mentioned to me that a pet you tamed at 20 will have superior stats to one you acquired at 60. Lets say for arguments sake I tamed a beetle at 20 and then one at 60 (Same class but lets say I liked the latters skin better). Once the 60's loyalty level was brought up to the same level, would the pet tamed at 20 have better stats ?

Secondly, it was suggested that pets whose growth charts come close to touching on either side have an edge on others. I found this argument to be rather subjective. The wolf for example is rather centered, but I believe to be an effective pet nevertheless. I suppose if dps is the only factor then that narrows the margins, but for tanking purposes shouldn't one consider hp, regen, pdef, mdef ?
Post edited by Sekhmett - Harshlands on

Comments

• MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The thing is PW uses a "Pokemon" type system. Pets in the same family should have better stats when caught at lower level. So yes, while lower pets come with more limited skill sets, they're worth leveling up as their base stats will become better than those of pets caught at higher levels. Do realize it remains a matter of debate how much better and wether it is worth it. There is one exception to this rule and is the Shaodu Cub/Armoured Bear. Despite an enormous level difference (60), the Bear overcomes the Cub in deffensive stats in just 10 levels. Others may exist but to my knowledge have never been reported. For the overwhelming majority of pets it remains true the version caught at a lower level will outperform it's higher level counterpart.

The further away a skill is shown from the center of the graph the better it's growth will be. The Phoenix is a good example with a perfect growth chart. The wolves are usually regarded as well balanced, while they generally don't have much in the way of strong stats, they have no flaws or weaknesses either. If you already are familiar with a wolf's performance you'll have a good benchmark on which to measure other pets. The graph is merely meant to provide you with an idea of where a pet's strong and weak points lie.

Yes, dps (both damage and attack speed) is not the only important factor in deciding what makes a good pet, you're right. However, along with hp and phys and mag res, it remains one of the most important. These are the ones that should help you determine what makes a good pet, with other scores (accuracy, evasion, etc.) being much less of a deciding factor. Speed is a special case because it's not only used for pulling, but generally determines how "responsive" a pet will feel.

I hope you find my answers sufficient and wish you good luck on your leveling.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I am new to this class and am seeking some clarification. Someone mentioned to me that a pet you tamed at 20 will have superior stats to one you acquired at 60. Lets say for arguments sake I tamed a beetle at 20 and then one at 60 (Same class but lets say I liked the latters skin better). Once the 60's loyalty level was brought up to the same level, would the pet tamed at 20 have better stats ?

There are about 5 different families of wolves with different growth charts. If the beetle is in the same family (growth chart), it's likely to have better HP, Mdef, Pdef, but worse m/s and range (if applicable).
    Secondly, it was suggested that pets whose growth charts come close to touching on either side have an edge on others. I found this argument to be rather subjective. The wolf for example is rather centered, but I believe to be an effective pet nevertheless. I suppose if dps is the only factor then that narrows the margins, but for tanking purposes shouldn't one consider hp, regen, pdef, mdef ?

Regen is negligible. Acc / Evasion aren't worth much either. The other stats are largely dependent on your use of the pet. A good grinding pet will have good def, good hp, and good atk BUT you can remedy some pets for grinding (mostly for leveling purposes) with skills like putting Howl on a light hitting pet (increases your own dps while generating pet aggro).
    TThere is one exception to this rule and is the Shaodu Cub/Armoured Bear. Despite an enormous level difference (60), the Bear overcomes the Cub in deffensive stats in just 10 levels. Others may exist but to my knowledge have never been reported. For the overwhelming majority of pets it remains true the version caught at a lower level will outperform it's higher level counterpart.

There are many exceptions, I gave 4 in the wolf class alone. The bears don't even look alike. (Like Glacial Walker vs Magmite which are both considered Golem).
    Speed is a special case because it's not only used for pulling, but generally determines how "responsive" a pet will feel.

Kowlin is one of the fastest pets in game, yet one of the most unresponsive I dealt with. Speed takes a back seat to ranged skill, and survivability when it comes to pulling.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    tweakz wrote: »

There are many exceptions, I gave 4 in the wolf class alone. The bears don't even look alike. (Like Glacial Walker vs Magmite which are both considered Golem).

Yes, i'm well aware there are wolf subtypes. If you look through my posting history you'll find me pointing that out myself when posting in other threads. Given that the OP herself described her wolf's stats as "centered" i simply worked on the assumption he/she used a type 1 or 2 wolf. Yes, type 1 is more oriented towards damage, and type 2 leans towards defense. Either remains perfect to illustrate the point i was making about growth charts, and it didn't occur to me some poster might take exception to a technicality unrelated to the thread's subject.

As for the Shaodu Cub/Armoured Bear thing, they're both usually considered to be the same family because their stat similarities do correspond to their likeness in appearance (How do two mobs based on the same irl species don't look alike? Did you expect them to wear matching bowties?). That once again they may be technically two different mobs is beside the point and i included such reference for the sake of completeness.

Kowlin is one of the fastest pets in game, yet one of the most unresponsive I dealt with. Speed takes a back seat to ranged skill, and survivability when it comes to pulling.

Your opinion doesn't correspond with reports i've had of venos owning Kowling. While i've never used it myself, i have tried a sufficient number of pets i'm convinced faster pets "handle" better than slow ones. Since this is a subjective parameter there is no discussion possible on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As for speed taking a back seat to ranged attacks, i'm well aware it remains a personal agenda of yours to push this perception. While i'm certainly aware (and actually agree) with your arguments on this point, this doesn't disqualify fast pets as better pullers than slower pets which was the point i was explaining to the OP. Furthermore i disagree with your overall assesment in regards to overall better performance of ranged pets as pullers. In situations such as clearing instances like fb69 the faster pet will keep a better luring pace since it needs not have it's main attack skill turned off after every unsummon and whatever advantage range would provide speed more than makes up for. Ranged pets are only better on exceptional circumstances in which skill will usually allow a fast pet to be used effectively anyway. I don't consider your argument for ranged pets to have any validity because of this, and for myself make the choice of a fast pet which, while i do recommend to others, don't incur the mistake of believing the "best" choice available, which i have always admitted to "technically" be the marksman. A faster pet will usually be more enjoyable and have a better overall performance than ranged pets which really are only useful only for unnecesarily specialized jobs.(response)

Thanks for your corrections Tweakz, they were absolutely useless.