Bm Tank Build

madchronz
madchronz Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Blademaster
b:laugh I want to make my blademaster a tank, how do i do that what do i have to set my stats to? i already messed up abit because i just started acouple days ago. Maybe someone could trade me a reset stat spell from the boutique. I'll check the auction house, But, is there a way to make a blademaster tank?b:victory
Post edited by madchronz on

Comments

• Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Easy, reroll a Barb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    bms have no good aggro moves

so they cant really tank
  • CJseven - Raging Tide
    CJseven - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    don't listen to the incompetent riff-raff, bm can be an awesome tank.

if you only have good players in your squads (amazingly impossible to get this) then go with a full vit build, min str and dex for axes and rest into vit. with this setup at 85 and full tt80 gold gear i was able to tank catas in tw with my 13k buffed hp. this isn't any good if you have dds in squad who don't know anything about dmg agro, but nothing is going to kill you easily.

to hold agro really well go with a fist bm build. with a fist build and some -int gear the only thing that will pull agro off of you is a barb using fleshream, or a dd with at least 4-5 levels more then you. survivability isn't as high this way but a decent cleric can fix that easily and you have nothing to worry about. lol except actually trying to find a decent cleric among all the cash shop noobs.
    edited February 2010
    Fact: A Barb of the same level played by a competent player will always be a better tank than a competent BM.

Fact: If you go VIT axes build then you can't hold aggro for sh*t then DDs have to slow down, making killing the boss taking long. In the end, you'll still have lesss HP and accuracy than a Barb of the same build due to no Blood Bath.

If you go with fists then you won't have nearly as much HP, making you not suitable on some strong bosses. Sure, you can make it work, but like I've said, a Barb will still be better at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2010

if you only have good players in your squads (amazingly impossible to get this) then go with a full vit build, min str and dex for axes and rest into vit. with this setup at 85 and full tt80 gold gear i was able to tank catas in tw with my 13k buffed hp. this isn't any good if you have dds in squad who don't know anything about dmg agro, but nothing is going to kill you easily.

to hold agro really well go with a fist bm build. with a fist build and some -int gear the only thing that will pull agro off of you is a barb using fleshream, or a dd with at least 4-5 levels more then you. survivability isn't as high this way but a decent cleric can fix that easily and you have nothing to worry about. lol except actually trying to find a decent cleric among all the cash shop noobs.

why not just let the barb tank
  • madchronz
    edited February 2010

I like really liked what you had to say, I'm not asking about being barb people so forget that lol. I'll try what you said and see how it goes, i like being unique and i think bm could really make it work, besides it'll be a challenge and skill is really determined when the odd's are against you. Regardless of level i do my best, i won't let the difference of 5 levels be my downfall. It's gonna matter how well i do with my squad. I'm good at dps and theres more dps than tanks, so it shouldn't be too hard. Thank you all for your opinion's and advice I didn't think i get a reply so fast let alone really good advice. thanx guys.b:victory
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    how to tank as a bm?

- get 100
    - stack -interval
    - get cv claw/hh100 fist
    - get some hp
    - demon spark

?????

profit
  • madchronz
    edited February 2010
    i liek what you had to say!!!!!!!! ill do that ty. :D
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    madchronz wrote: »
    i liek what you had to say!!!!!!!! ill do that ty. :D

Yeah but before that you're pretty much **** for tanking unless you are willing to spend a lot on equipment. It get better after TT90 equipment. But that's after lvl90.

Due to hp reasons some TT bosses that you can farm and get lots of money from you won't be able to do. Most fb bosses you can tank but they don't give you money to provide you those godly tanking equipment.

With low refine equipment and no aggro skill it's testing the skills of the DD and cleric not you.

And I don't think you realize how much some of those gear cost. If you can get those equipment I don't really see why you would go tank those usually bm impossible bosses, since the whole point of those dungeons is to farm for those equipments. Unless you're just doing those for fun.

What Devoted say is correct but it's simply impossible for most ppl to have those equipment.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but before that you're pretty much **** for tanking unless you are willing to spend a lot on equipment. It get better after TT90 equipment. But that's after lvl90.

Due to hp reasons some TT bosses that you can farm and get lots of money from you won't be able to do. Most fb bosses you can tank but they don't give you money to provide you those godly tanking equipment.

With low refine equipment and no aggro skill it's testing the skills of the DD and cleric not you.

And I don't think you realize how much some of those gear cost. If you can get those equipment I don't really see why you would go tank those usually bm impossible bosses, since the whole point of those dungeons is to farm for those equipments. Unless you're just doing those for fun.

What Devoted say is correct but it's simply impossible for most ppl to have those equipment.

B.S.

level 75

+4 3* -.05 interval fists and split armor refined +2 with flawless and decent +vit +hp gear (trying for DQ bracers atm for a natural 2 aps >.<)

0 base vit

4.2k hp unbuffed in fists now (looking at 4.3 once i refine my cape a little)

can tank anything up to tt 1-2 with no real risk of aggro loss on anything but veno pets (on ? only) and thats easily solved via alpha male and reflect looking forward to 5.5k at 80 and going to take a shot at tanking 2-1 and pole/nob once i get the affinity on my PVE geni for earthquake + above mentioned HP

now for math

200 vit = 3k hp thats...it you give up 3/4 of your good skills DPS debuffs accuracy evasion crit rate and range
    for 3k more hp at endgame that will be rendered nonfactor by +6 refines or higher
    i fail to see any reason to stat more than 30 vit ever (-25=5 for easy restat)

+2 refines and flawless/beautifull shards are all dirt cheap so unless you power leveled to 70 on BH/CS this is all easly atainable in game

vit build has no class cancles no damage redux debuff lowest DPS in game lower damage in aoe's due to ACC and lower crit the hell is that supposed to tank anything at all at higher levels?
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    B.S.

level 75

+4 3* -.05 interval fists and split armor refined +2 with flawless and decent +vit +hp gear (trying for DQ bracers atm for a natural 2 aps >.<)

0 base vit

4.2k hp unbuffed in fists now (looking at 4.3 once i refine my cape a little)

can tank anything up to tt 1-2 with no real risk of aggro loss on anything but veno pets (on ? only) and thats easily solved via alpha male and reflect looking forward to 5.5k at 80 and going to take a shot at tanking 2-1 and pole/nob once i get the affinity on my PVE geni for earthquake + above mentioned HP

now for math

200 vit = 3k hp thats...it you give up 3/4 of your good skills DPS debuffs accuracy evasion crit rate and range
    for 3k more hp at endgame that will be rendered nonfactor by +6 refines or higher
    i fail to see any reason to stat more than 30 vit ever (-25=5 for easy restat)

+2 refines and flawless/beautifull shards are all dirt cheap so unless you power leveled to 70 on BH/CS this is all easly atainable in game

vit build has no class cancles no damage redux debuff lowest DPS in game lower damage in aoe's due to ACC and lower crit the hell is that supposed to tank anything at all at higher levels?
    You should level to 9x+ ._.

It doesn't take long ;p
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    You should level to 9x+ ._.

It doesn't take long ;p

far to lazyb:surrender

also i still need to try a few gamma sets as a 7x bm got a few ideas i wanna test in there with the 2 bm setup/rainbow squad/psy and sin builds

think its possible to have the BM main tank the first 2 waves if so then the group could finish mining faster get auras up sooner etc will probly need 4.5k hp unbuffed a charm and hp food + geni to make it work though >.<
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    To anyone who says a BM can't tank....I call you all idiots.

But for those who are wondering, if you want to tank, as a BM, then you will either need to go Sword or Axe build. That being because these are the two heavy dealing classes, and will allow you to hold arggo for a good time.
    The best option build would be:
    Odd lvl: 3 str, 2 dex
    Even lvl: 3 vit, 1 str, 1 dex.

Though it's from personal experience, so you can believe it if you want, or just figure out something else.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Eh, 89+ if you're demon is easy to tank as fist. Been using 60 bracers mold since lvl 60, and that alone is enough with a decent fist from TT or FC to tank pretty easily. If sage, will be harder since the lack of speed boosts reduces damage output. Only thing that makes it hard to tank, is when you say wait until after I start hitting after spark before joining in, and then they attack as soon as I light up with spark....
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
    edited February 2010

think its possible to have the BM main tank the first 2 waves if so then the group could finish mining faster get auras up sooner etc will probly need 4.5k hp unbuffed a charm and hp food + geni to make it work though >.<

BM always tank the first 2 waves on Dreamweaver... Some ppl do it weird on HL but the way I did it, Veno/second BM/third DD go farm beans and Barb run quest from the beginning. Everything done before second boss is dead.

To anyone who says a BM can't tank....I call you all idiots.
    Not saying BM can't tank. I had to tank most of my own bosses. It's just that a same level Barb will always be better at tanking. (Not going pass 99 that is)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    But for those who are wondering, if you want to tank, as a BM, then you will either need to go Sword or Axe build. That being because these are the two heavy dealing classes, and will allow you to hold arggo for a good time.
    Umm I don't know where you got that from but from my personal experience, axes nor swords can keep aggro. At all.
    Fists are the way to go for tanking imo. You don't need much HP at lower levels and you will get lots of HP from refines alone in later levels to not need any vit.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    how to tank as a bm?

- get 100
    - stack -interval
    - get cv claw/hh100 fist
    - get some hp
    - demon spark

?????

profit

Isn't that the truth. I was so upset at 9x seeing how gimp axes were the higher I levelled. Then I went fists and have been absolutely thrilled with what I can accomplish now.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Isn't that the truth. I was so upset at 9x seeing how gimp axes were the higher I levelled. Then I went fists and have been absolutely thrilled with what I can accomplish now.

this has been the case with every bm i have ever seen go multipath

kinda a THE HELL WAS I DOING moment followed by a OMG THIS ARE HAX

then they Q.Q about the price

then they mat mine/merchant/grind/cash shop out good gear

and and suddelny all is well

yes its a pain in the **** build to pull off late game but oh so rewardingb:dirty
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010

Not really... you can do a good fist build for decently cheap. However if you can't afford endgame refines or shards, none of the classes you play will be all that great.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • BLADE_COOL - Heavens Tear
    BLADE_COOL - Heavens Tear Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    that psy asked not how to make barb tank but bm tank
    Im just staying cool.b:coolb:coolb:cool
    Main Char lvl 71 Barb (Axe__Man)
    Myself Blademaster lvl 63 (BLADE_COOL)
    Alt Archer lvl 30 (Archermanx)b:laugh
    all stay coolb:cool
    I HATE BEING KILLEDb:angry
  • Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver
    Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Use fists, and go 3 str 2 dex per level. It doesn't matter how much hp you have if you can't hold aggro, using this build you can. I've been tanking my own bosses and NOT losing aggro ever since level 72 when I got my DQ bracers, GET THEM, it's worth it. When I have barbs in my squad I usually have to beg them to let me tank, cuz I end up stealing aggro from them anyway. And when I'm doing TTs/FCs with a herc veno, they can't even hold aggro with my favorite PvE combo: Dragon Bane - Demon Spark - Cloud Eruption - Demon spark again after 15 seconds b:laugh.
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    why would u want to pay the repair cost of tanking lol. if u just watn to PvE i'd say dotn put anything in vit(maybe stop at 20 lol) seeing as how u dont really need it for PvE. Trust me let the barbs tank and pay 100k+ repairs while u just DD and pay 10-20k^^.
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
  • Arnne - Sanctuary
    Arnne - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You don't really HAVE to use fists to be a bm tank, but lots of people seem to think so. My main is a pure axe bm that tanks pretty much everything unless the squad can get a barb. You can't expect a bm to tank everything though, especially really tough bosses, (leave those to the barb meatshields). But generally, yes you won't be as tough as a barb equivalent to your level, but you can still kick **** and take names b:chuckle
  • BleuFrost - Heavens Tear
    BleuFrost - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The best BM I know is a sage multi-weapon user. It's doesn't seem to matter how much HP the boss has (or if he waits to DD until 25% of HP is gone), there's only one barb he does not steal aggro from. It's gotten so common that as soon as the aggro as changed the barb switches to human form and DDs....cleric(s) switch automatically as well.

The only thing he can't steal off of is a herc on ? bosses due to the damage reduction that the squad members receive.
    edited February 2010

The only thing he can't steal off of is a herc on ? bosses due to the damage reduction that the squad members receive.

That's actually probably from the damage reduction in TT which does not apply to pets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RRARRRRGGHHH - Sanctuary
    RRARRRRGGHHH - Sanctuary Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Get fists with about 2-2.5 attacks per second base and pets without bash on will not steal aggro if your constantly sparking and using your speed buffs on ? stuff (if you get 2.82 nixes with bash on should not steal aggro). I tank world bosses using 2 aps base + sage speed buff and sparking as often as possible with my tt99 fists (too poor for decides) and hold aggro off veno pets....and on normal bosses that arent ? level I steal aggro off barbs with a polearm ffs without sparking or whatever even...

But yeah bm can tank pretty much everything in the game given you have 12k base hp and 2.5 aps or above base...and given they dont die (since this will reset all built aggro they had) they tank more effectively than any barb considering dps > fleshream for holding aggro, and the rest is about being a good enough meatshield...bosses with aggro reset require higher attack speed so that you can have a huge amount of built up aggro fast when they reset (AE, 3-2/3-3 emperor etc).

Oh and with the recent update to bm chi gaining its possible to get just short of 4 attacks per second as sage....or more if u get nirvana pants (gives 4 base with those bad boys)...anywho, the spark erupt for sage is much better suited for tanking with the 25% damage reduction helping you stay alive easier...and since now it only requires 4 aps to endlessly spark as a bm, and the fact that there is practically nothing thats gonna steal aggro off you with that speed anyway...its much more effective for tanking purposes.