Psychic Tank

SoulOrbz - Lost City
SoulOrbz - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Psychic
I've heard people say that psychics are just lame damage dealers, pretty much useless. But, I think they would actually make pretty nice tanks. For example, just at level 9 they have white voodo, to increase their defense, and they have soul of vengence, to keep their aggro. With a good cleric and maybe some HP or Phys Def shards, they would probably be the best magic tanks in game. By the way, about the terrible speed, there's always the archer buff that increases evasion/speed, plus lots of apoc. pots at their disposal to boost that aspect.

Your thoughts about Psy tanking?
Post edited by SoulOrbz - Lost City on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Mine has been there done that....(current level 87)

All fb's through 59 and Pyro....Accidentally tanked Brig 50% in fb79 (b:surrender)

They can tank....this is the same thing saying that a Cleric cannot tank....There are quite a few (the magic dealers) that do not need a cleric, although without cleric buffs = some charm ticks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • SoulOrbz - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of charm ticks, don't psys have a reduced tick/heal skill too?
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of charm ticks, don't psys have a reduced tick/heal skill too?

Yes...can increase/decrease the cool-down time of the charm and they also aid in how pots and heals work. For the good or the bad, obviously if using on yourself you would use Empowered Vigor. On barbs in PvP or TW use Diminished Vigor. Both Vigors have different purposes.

You can bypass the majority of potential ticks with event post b:victory

You can see all skills here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I know I'm not that high but I was pretty chuffed when I tanked yansheng the barbarian guy in broken bow bluff at lvl 33 or so, with a lvl 35 cleric healing me. Didn't half make me love my psychic :D
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deathflow - Dreamweaver
    Deathflow - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Mine has been there done that....(current level 87)

All fb's through 59 and Pyro....Accidentally tanked Brig 50% in fb79 (b:surrender)

They can tank....this is the same thing saying that a Cleric cannot tank....There are quite a few (the magic dealers) that do not need a cleric, although without cleric buffs = some charm ticks.

tanked also FC bosses
  • Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I know I'm not that high but I was pretty chuffed when I tanked yansheng the barbarian guy in broken bow bluff at lvl 33 or so, with a lvl 35 cleric healing me. Didn't half make me love my psychic :D

i soloed yangsheng at 3x with no cleric healing

no charm

with black voodoo on

ijs
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Okay, so they make decent magic tankers, but who said they were "lame damage dealers?"

They have insanely high damage.
    Belligero
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Hmm I was thinking about this too last night. My Psychic will have more HP than my Cleric because their skills are designed to hit harder and many of their soul and voodoo skills work well with high HP. I dont think that with Arcane armor he will have much success with tanking physical bosses though.

I'm sure they can tank magical bosses, maybe this was their original purpose? b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Well good for you, Magikrap. I didn't think I could solo it, but I was pleased nontheless.
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited February 2010

I'm sure they can tank magical bosses, maybe this was their original purpose? b:question
    Doubt it, wiz still beats them in that part, unless it was a metal/wood boss.
  • roarsauce
    roarsauce Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    So Mostly vit and Meet the Magic Requirment?
  • SoulOrbz - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Okay, so they make decent magic tankers, but who said they were "lame damage dealers?"

They have insanely high damage.

Some barb on my server XD
  • Grey_Soul - Sanctuary
    Grey_Soul - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    In higher levels, if you add enough vit or perhaps even try out light armor I can see psychics white voodoo being more than enough for most physical attacks. plus if i remember right (but its not exactly the best build idea b:shutup) torrent and sandstorm is not effected by the lowered attack level.
  • mkhanx2
    mkhanx2 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Well oki here's a potential build I thought up of (Expensive of course lol):

Also don't flame me cuz there might be something I could be missing or didn't understand so plz keep that in mind....Anyways...

There are 7 types of gears that can have 4 sockets embued, so why not embue them all with 28 Defense +1 shards?

Think about it. It'll work very well with both Voodoos.

Black Voodoo MAX reduces Defense Level By 11, and with the shards equipped it'll be compensated, hence giving you still +17 Defense and +22 ATK lvl.

White Voodoo MAX increases Defense Level by 66 (according to ecatomb), 66+28 = 94 (Maybe 96 if you're able to put defense shards in weapon). Now correct me if I'm wrong plz but I am thinking that w/e damage you take has been reduced by 96% (unless opponent has ATK level shards or something to make the difference). That imo right there is a super tank build. If what I'm thinking is correct, then that means you are the ultimate meat shield (that will fail miserably to get aggro lol) BUT you can be useful in TW by manipulating the opponents and whatnot with Diminished or Empowered Vigor...or you could prolly use the Catapault and tank everything/Soul of Vengeance/Stun/or w/e u think.

I dunno, I could be COMPLETELY wrong but this is just a hypothesis. Someone of better/higher knowledge of this game plz confirm that this can be a very good potential build b:thanks

Tried my best to help out a good Psychic build.
    Oh and I apologize beforehand if this has been mentioned but I thought of this idea up completely off the top of my head.
  • Grey_Soul - Sanctuary
    Grey_Soul - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    well that was kinda the idea i was leaning to as well, especially because your reflect damage from soul skills is not influenced by attack level in any way, neither is the skills already mentioned. I don't think psychic will replaces barbs in pulling catapults, but may be a nice substitute when one is not available. my only question of this build is, what would be more helpful, the vit or dex for light armor?
  • Pinball_Map - Heavens Tear
    Pinball_Map - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    well that was kinda the idea i was leaning to as well, especially because your reflect damage from soul skills is not influenced by attack level in any way, neither is the skills already mentioned. I don't think psychic will replaces barbs in pulling catapults, but may be a nice substitute when one is not available. my only question of this build is, what would be more helpful, the vit or dex for light armor?

Well if you're going to go for LA then you'd have to spend your points on Dex. HP you get too low anyway, but your low HP will be compensated by the 96% Defense Level.

Also refining your gears, especially end game will automatically give some decent amount of HP + Increased Soulforce.
  • LiXiuYi - Sanctuary
    LiXiuYi - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    volst wrote: »
    Doubt it, wiz still beats them in that part, unless it was a metal/wood boss.

How so? I don't understand how a wiz would be a better mag boss tanker.
  • Rintu - Harshlands
    Rintu - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    pschics may got the perfect skills fortanking but then u will be **** the maq if u only give it on vit.... tideborns got high damage already at low lvl so if u give the most to vit it would be a shame of his power... aint it like that?b:victory
  • CrystalPax - Raging Tide
    CrystalPax - Raging Tide Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I will tell you here and now that my psy with a vit (slowly switching to pur mag) build is a great magic tank with a cleric backing me up. You simply draw aggro with black vodoo for a bit, switch to white, and let the dps rip with a few soulburns in between.

Its really pretty easy with a smart cleric on your side. If you lose aggro just switch to black until you get it back then switch back to white. keep vigor on and there you go.

I love tanking, its just so much more fun than being a DD all the time. You actually have to pay attention to your hp and use bubble or a pot if you get into trouble.
  • Timmehh - Heavens Tear
    Timmehh - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Well, i dont know, I'd think some can handle a Psy as a Tank, but i have a Barb lvl 70 (KillaTim) and pretty much turned out to be a fail DD and fail Tank. . . i plan to fix that soon. . . i put to much in magic when shouldnt of put any b:surrender . . . but the point im getting at is I REALLY Like my Psy as a DD and think i do very good, i love being able to kill mobs my lvl in 3-6 hits. . . my personal opion is to use Psy For DD, But i think if you trust you can make a good magic tank from one, more power to ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ←X○Ria Director
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    a vit arcane psy would easily be the best maq tank in game

suprised its taken you so long to figure this outb:surrender
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    How so? I don't understand how a wiz would be a better mag boss tanker.

They have 3 elemental shields (1 for earth, water, and fire) that raise there magic defense by 100% of equip and can stack with clerics magic shell. So it doesn't help with wood or metal. but they are able to achieve insanely high resistance to those elements without nurfing there dmg. also to note they are able to get p.def from there earth shield making them able to achieve extremely high pdef for a mag class.