Does your shop get eaten too?

Options
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
I've been chuckling to myself the past couple of days over an increasingly common phenomenon.

It seems like every time I check my shop lately, I can rest assured that I'll find it completely gobbled up beneath some sort of mount. Lately it's been a Bad Panda, but Nien Beasts are also popular choices.

The reason, to me, seems obvious. Namely, it's that the culprits don't want others to see that I'm advertising the lowest price, so one character tries to swallow my shop while the other sets up nearby advertising a higher price (which is usually false, btw, like "Coral 436k" when the price is really 436,999).

Overall, I don't think the strategy works, since I still seem to be selling out fairly quick anyway, but I do think it's a rather hilarious tactic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
Post edited by WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear
    XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thats crule and selfish of people to do to youb:sad. To bad it back fires on themb:victory
    Thanks for the siggy Dorset
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Once upon a time I had a dirty little secret but then I took it to the dry cleanersb:laugh

-Currently residing in the real world-
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Competition in marketing is rather amusing lately. Seems everyone's taking a pot at making easy coin with marketing right now, and some are extremely competitive over it.

Earlier today, after scouting nearby catshops, I set up a token b/s at very decent rates. Someone then sets up a catshop next to me at a lower price, so I went a little below him, then he went a good bit below me, seemingly in an attempt to discourage me once and for all. .....He actually put his selling rates lower than 1 or 2 catshops in visible distance were buying at. I immediately closed, bought, sold and made a nice profit. b:chuckle
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thats crule and selfish of people to do to youb:sad. To bad it back fires on themb:victory
    My current counter-tactic is that if they gobble me up, I set up my shop right on top of their shop. That way they have to move both their characters. Too bad I'm going to be sold out soon and the fun will end. b:chuckle
    He actually put his selling rates lower than 1 or 2 catshops in visible distance were buying at. I immediately closed, bought, sold and made a nice profit. b:chuckle
    Nicely done!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    it never works because people have max performance set while in W arch. so as far as they're concerned, they don't even see the players on the mounts, just your shop. shift click over and they see what you're selling probably without even realizing someone was trying to cover your shop up.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I do this when a shop is trying to deceive someone. Like setting up a shop with common gems for 14k and then having 1 random one in there for 500k.

Or people selling tokens of luck for perfect tokens.

I cover them with my mount and sit there awhile, or set up a shop next to them with this: <----scammer. I wouldn't do this to someone who just had a shop up tho, no matter what they was selling as long as they was honest in it. So what if someone is selling a Christmas tome for 3 mil. If someone wants to pay that fine, but trying to deceive someone is a little different just IMO.
  • KillerMcD - Heavens Tear
    KillerMcD - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I do this when a shop is trying to deceive someone. Like setting up a shop with common gems for 14k and then having 1 random one in there for 500k.

Or people selling tokens of luck for perfect tokens.

I cover them with my mount and sit there awhile, or set up a shop next to them with this: <----scammer. I wouldn't do this to someone who just had a shop up tho, no matter what they was selling as long as they was honest in it. So what if someone is selling a Christmas tome for 3 mil. If someone wants to pay that fine, but trying to deceive someone is a little different just IMO.

I have done the exact same to the scammer that sets up near the CS selling the last stone for 699K. He/she keeps disappearing for a few days then showing up with a new name and the same old scam.
    I just get out the big butt bear and cover the shop while I go AFK to make lunch or whatever.
    Legit shops would never get this treatment.
    Out of all the things I have lost over the years, I miss my mind the most.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would think this pet would be the best one to cover up a cat shop. b:chuckle

2009-08-2616-04-49.jpg
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yesh....
    that'll do
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I really don't think covering a shop is effective since I think a lot of people (I do at least) walk through west Arch with players/names hidden...

All you see are the catshops, NPCs, and players that are like 1 ft. away from you.

I'd just say assume everyone is scamming, and check very carefully what your doing and buying.

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've never had this problem. Maybe I sell out too quickly. :D
    or maybe my prices are too high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Kimbley - Harshlands
    Kimbley - Harshlands Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    it never works because people have max performance set while in W arch. so as far as they're concerned, they don't even see the players on the mounts, just your shop. shift click over and they see what you're selling probably without even realizing someone was trying to cover your shop up.

Shift-clicking goes through cat-shops as well b:surrender

unless i'm mistaken.
  • Bromsen - Heavens Tear
    Bromsen - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'd just say assume everyone is scamming, and check very carefully what your doing and buying.

I saw a shop this morning advertise buying tokens at 16.5K. When I clicked on the shop, the actual price was 165 coin.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I saw a shop this morning advertise buying tokens at 16.5K. When I clicked on the shop, the actual price was 165 coin.
    Don't trust them. They're trying to lure you in. They'll sell you 1k tokens for 165k.....and then change the price on one token to 165k!!!!!ITS A SCAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Shift-clicking goes through cat-shops as well b:surrender

unless i'm mistaken.

oops yeah it does. i was thinking of npcs when people crowd over them...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My catshop keeps getting consumed by the "Disconnected from Server" mount.