What Lucky Coral gifts did you get?

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Actually, I believe he was absolutely correct, right on the button, hit the nail on the head... etc... b:chuckle

No disrespect intended... just noting an observation. b:lipcurl

First wife was a psychotic dope addict. I married her when I was 22. I divorced her for her drug use and her cheating (still haven't figured out why I married her in the first place though).

Second wife is a lovely woman, and I still care about her to this day, but her religious views and my religious views were not compatible, so we went our separate ways as friends. If she ever needed a hand, she knows all she has to do is call me and I will do anything I can to help.

My present wife is my best friend. We get along fantastically. We are always laughing with one another and enjoy one anothers company. We have lived with each other for 2 years, known each other for 7-8 years, and been married since last year. They say third time is a charm, and in this case, I would have to say that She is most definitely that.

Sooo... you not knowing the particulars of my past married life, I can understand the assumption you made, but you would be wrong.

~Saitada
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    108 Coral Gifts.

104 x 15 Token of Luck
    1 x Platinum Guardian Charm
    3 x Token of Best Luck

edit:
    Opened another 130.

126 x 15 Token of Luck
    1 x Platinum Guardian Charm
    1 x Platinum Spirit Charm
    1 x Token of best Luck
    1 x Joy Ride Pass
  • SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You guys DO know that like 99% of the people that buy these make no profit and only lose coins.
  • Seanzo - Sanctuary
    Seanzo - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get any yet.... but, remember the Halloween event and how everyone had flame drills and etc. but never give up is all I have to say.
    Seanzo - lvl 65 Blade Master

AltiarII - lvl 25 Assassin
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    You guys DO know that like 99% of the people that buy these make no profit and only lose coins.

If you know what you're doing, you can get close to breakeven with most attempts. However, yes if you flat out rage open them and have no tactical mind then most people are bound to lose coins statistically speaking.

Losing 6million coins in my case for 108 attempts is really minimal considing coin value isn't worth as much as it use to. Also, if I took some time I could easily turn that 6million coin loss to breakeven by being strategic. No it does not involve sitting on my tokens for 2 weeks and reselling, though that is an option.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you know what you're doing, you can get close to breakeven with most attempts. However, yes if you flat out rage open them and have no tactical mind then most people are bound to lose coins statistically speaking.

Losing 6million coins in my case for 108 attempts is really minimal considing coin value isn't worth as much as it use to. Also, if I took some time I could easily turn that 6million coin loss to breakeven by being strategic. No it does not involve sitting on my tokens for 2 weeks and reselling, though that is an option.
    It's random. There is no strategy. All you can do is moderate the extremes (both good and bad) by opening a lot of packs at once. You can create a strategy to control your cash supply (basically open packs until you break even, then stop for the day). But to make that work consistently you have to start with like 100 million in funds. The first time anniv packs came out, I started with ~60 mil, and basically went broke from a streak of bad luck. The rarer the instance of big wins, the bigger cash pool you need to survive those inevitable bad luck streaks.

I've opened about 500 of the anniv packs in all and came out ahead by about 20 mil. That's a roughly 10% ROI, but missing out on just one rare item would have turned that into a loss. The best luck tokens (which are common enough to be statistically reliable) only return about 100k per pack on average, so you can't count on them to recoup the purchase price. You have to rely on the rare prizes, which unfortunately are so rare and so valuable that you need to open enormous numbers of packs to reduce the variability and get a reliable return on them. I'm talking thousands of packs statistically.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    It's random. There is no strategy. All you can do is moderate the extremes (both good and bad) by opening a lot of packs at once. You can create a strategy to control your cash supply (basically open packs until you break even, then stop for the day). But to make that work consistently you have to start with like 100 million in funds. The first time anniv packs came out, I started with ~60 mil, and basically went broke from a streak of bad luck. The rarer the instance of big wins, the bigger cash pool you need to survive those inevitable bad luck streaks.

I've opened about 500 of the anniv packs in all and came out ahead by about 20 mil. That's a roughly 10% ROI, but missing out on just one rare item would have turned that into a loss. The best luck tokens (which are common enough to be statistically reliable) only return about 100k per pack on average, so you can't count on them to recoup the purchase price. You have to rely on the rare prizes, which unfortunately are so rare and so valuable that you need to open enormous numbers of packs to reduce the variability and get a reliable return on them. I'm talking thousands of packs statistically.

By tactics, I meant what you do with the tokens you get. Regardless I can break even fairly easily.

In fact, I just opened another 130 and I am above breaking even because of what I did with the tokens.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    IYou can create a strategy to control your cash supply (basically open packs until you break even, then stop for the day). But to make that work consistently you have to start with like 100 million in funds.
    I often wonder how many people actually do have this kind of funding. There are plenty of people in West Archo who seem to have cat-shops filled with pack items, so it appears that there are indeed many people who are making money this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
    edited January 2010
    By tactics, I meant what you do with the tokens you get. Regardless I can break even fairly easily.

In fact, I just opened another 130 and I am above breaking even because of what I did with the tokens.
    The question then, though, is whether or not it's better to just buy the Tokens from others and skip opening the packs.

15 Tokens can be bought for about 240k or so, which means you're basically paying 160k for a 3% chance of getting something else. I guess if market saturation becomes a factor then it may be better to go for that 3% chance, but you probably would know more about that than I would, since I've been focusing on other markets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    The question then, though, is whether or not it's better to just buy the Tokens from others and skip opening the packs.

15 Tokens can be bought for about 240k or so, which means you're basically paying 160k for a 3% chance of getting something else. I guess if market saturation becomes a factor then it may be better to go for that 3% chance, but you probably would know more about that than I would, since I've been focusing on other markets.

That's very true.

But having a breakeven option to back up any "unlucky streaks" by opening packs is a nice mind settling thing even if it is indeed just an illusion you create to fool yourself (since you can buy tokens and make profits that way, whereas I am buying packs and attempting to get "lucky" or using the tokens to breakeven)

I guess I enjoy the thrill of winning with a breakeven point (akin to a stop loss) through packs whereas people target other markets.
  • PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear
    PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Opened 4 today got the Winged Elf Mount, 4 Tokens of Best Luck, The Untamed Mount. and the last one was a Diamond of Dragonb:victoryb:pleasedb:victoryb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm the only Harpy, Who's Psychic and knows all!b:chuckleb:pleased

Live Life How You wish To Live It.

I love PWI, Teh Forums, and Konari b:thanks

Is currently working on Wizzy (imo better than my Psy)b:surrender name: SaphiraGione
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Opened 4 today got the Winged Elf Mount, 4 Tokens of Best Luck, The Untamed Mount. and the last one was a Diamond of Dragon ...

I opened 1 pack and got a scroll of tome, 15 primeval stones and a dozen wing trophies.

Yes, with 1 pack. b:bye
  • PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear
    PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I opened 1 pack and got a scroll of tome, 15 primeval stones and a dozen wing trophies.

Yes, with 1 pack. b:bye

But I got the Wings and the Gryphon does that even matter anymore
    +1 to you thoughb:thanks
    b:shockedb:shocked\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm the only Harpy, Who's Psychic and knows all!b:chuckleb:pleased

Live Life How You wish To Live It.

I love PWI, Teh Forums, and Konari b:thanks

Is currently working on Wizzy (imo better than my Psy)b:surrender name: SaphiraGione
  • dunnskii
    dunnskii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The only difference in what you spent money on, and what they spent money on is the fact that what you have is actually tangible. While you seemingly are "making fun of" them, I got a 32" for around 400.00. I spent way less than you and have a bit more than half the tv :P. It goes both ways. It also goes back to our upbringings as to what our parents assured us was a waste of money and what was good to spend money on.

Personally, (just an imo) I'd rather spend my money on tangible things that will be there awhile. If PWI shut down shop and closed the doors the 1k anyone spent today would just be gone... all for naught.

I agree with this. If someone even wants to neglect their house payment, their electric bill and their car insurance for said cause its their perogative. However; there are always consequences that come with what you do.

This comment really bothers me. You are not here to please everyone else, this is true. But you should somewhat worry about what makes the people around you happy. Your wife for example. I do hope you weren't meaning here that you were so selfish to always think of just yourself. If so, and everyone had that same mentality this world would be a very very very much worse place to live.

On topic:: I opened 2. Got the lesser tokens from them. Thats all I plan to open :)

I think this is a fundamental issue that will always come up and never be settled.When it comes to real dollars used to buy in-game gold/coins, it is the players choice, I just happens to be that we all dont have the same economic standing, therefor cant spend like other players do. Im broke and cant spend alot of money, in game but i think i have more fun playing the game instead of some one who lvls to 70 in a week
  • thunde88
    thunde88 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Isnt it better to just sell the gold an get coins for it, then buy the mount/wings/weapon you want from a player or ah.

100$ = 50 million coins
    Ninetails mount go for about 12-18 million coins in DW.

And you can buy some nice high lvl things for 50 million also :)

I read that someone spent 1000$ on coral, thats 500 million coins. Why buy packs when you can sell the gold and buy the thing's you want ingame?
  • Hurleyyy - Lost City
    Hurleyyy - Lost City Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get any yet.... but, remember the Halloween event and how everyone had flame drills and etc. but never give up is all I have to say.

I wasted like 6M on this *** Event. I had nothing good... only Candy box

1 Box : 15 Tokens.

I cannot understand they put percentage so f***** low for good stuff and give only 15 tokens by box. They win money and we loosing. We are they client, if they wanna keep us spend money they must put like a better chance of percentage and put more tokens. What about to give the percentage of each thing, if we see better chance to win rare stuff we will spend more but now its look like 99% chance to get tokens 1% other stuff.

People selling tokens around 15kX15 tokens 225k ... 1 gold= 550k I think they need to fix this. We cannot loose money like that. If we spend money at least lets make that fair for both side. Dont say its the fault of people selling them too low. I will not buy a token 20k and im sure im not the only one.

Thats why I dont waste money for pack like this.

My 2 Cent
  • Sabre_ - Harshlands
    Sabre_ - Harshlands Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2010

I cannot understand they put percentage so f***** low for good stuff and give only 15 tokens by box. They win money and we loosing. We are they client, if they wanna keep us spend money they must put like a better chance of percentage and put more tokens. What about to give the percentage of each thing, if we see better chance to win rare stuff we will spend more but now its look like 99% chance to get tokens 1% other stuff.

People selling tokens around 15kX15 tokens 225k ... 1 gold= 550k I think they need to fix this. We cannot loose money like that. If we spend money at least lets make that fair for both side. Dont say its the fault of people selling them too low. I will not buy a token 20k and im sure im not the only one.

My 2 Cent

Actually the reason they make so much money on them is cause of the low chance to get the good items, they keep spending until they get what they want.

Like alot of other people said, it's a gamble, your not forced to buy them
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    dunnskii wrote: »
    I think this is a fundamental issue that will always come up and never be settled.When it comes to real dollars used to buy in-game gold/coins, it is the players choice, I just happens to be that we all dont have the same economic standing, therefor cant spend like other players do. Im broke and cant spend alot of money, in game but i think i have more fun playing the game instead of some one who lvls to 70 in a week
    The thing I don't get is that the "equal" cash-neutral game many free players seem to want already exists - they're subscription-based games. Everyone pays the same amount, nobody gets any advantage.

Why do some players come to this game because it lets them play while paying less than what the average player pays. Then act all surprised and offended when they find out that others pay more than what the average player pays? If you want fairness, a free pay-as-much-as-you-like game isn't where you're going to find it. Free and fair just doesn't work because if there's no advantage to paying, people aren't going to pay in the amounts needed to sustain the game. At which point the game ceases to exist except as a volunteer project run in someone's basement with frequent and long downtimes, absolutely no support, and the possibility of disappearing overnight because Joe the admin decided to turn the server into a media center for his new 50" (or 32") HDTV.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    thunde88 wrote: »
    Isnt it better to just sell the gold an get coins for it, then buy the mount/wings/weapon you want from a player or ah.

100$ = 50 million coins
    Ninetails mount go for about 12-18 million coins in DW.

And you can buy some nice high lvl things for 50 million also :)

I read that someone spent 1000$ on coral, thats 500 million coins. Why buy packs when you can sell the gold and buy the thing's you want ingame?

uh no...lol. 50m will get you jack ****. maybe some demon/sage skills, like 5 or less if they're good skills, maybe more if they're mediocre. it might get you a lunar wep if that's the only thing you spend on, not even an ornament. unrefined, unsocketed lunar wep congratulations. it makes sense if you have 100 gold, to try for a chance to win something (that would be worth much, much, more than 50m coins).

than again you could get screwed and win nothing lol...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ^ Nice ninja edit about coin being useless.

I would recommend not gambling on the packs; rather investing your coin into tokens.

Then again you could get lucky. I bought gold when it was cheap, got 300 in the end. Bought 300 coral packs and told myself I'll open 20 for fun, the other 280 would be sold at high prices.

10 packs in I got a Tome of Scroll - the item I was saving money for, making me open the rest of the 280. Didn't care anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    uh no...lol. 50m will get you jack ****. maybe some demon/sage skills, like 5 or less if they're good skills, maybe more if they're mediocre. it might get you a lunar wep if that's the only thing you spend on, not even an ornament. unrefined, unsocketed lunar wep congratulations. it makes sense if you have 100 gold, to try for a chance to win something (that would be worth much, much, more than 50m coins).

than again you could get screwed and win nothing lol...

Yup agreed, at this point now its worth it more to try to get something from the boxes then the sell the gold since gold is no longer 500k+ each and items have gone up in prices since lunar weapons were only 25 mill, rings 30 mill, heavenrage boots were 10 mill at the beginning.

Oh well though maybe nobody knew what to sell it for at that time but damn it was good back then for me to make coins b:dirty .

Im only talking about experience from Sanctuary server.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    axt57 wrote: »
    ^ Nice ninja edit about coin being useless.

I would recommend not gambling on the packs; rather investing your coin into tokens.

Then again you could get lucky. I bought gold when it was cheap, got 300 in the end. Bought 300 coral packs and told myself I'll open 20 for fun, the other 280 would be sold at high prices.

10 packs in I got a Tome of Scroll - the item I was saving money for, making me open the rest of the 280. Didn't care anymore.

coin is worthless lol...i just didn't think i needed to mention that. on a side note, the best you can do with 50m coins is probably to turn those 50m coins into more coins via merchanting, but 50m by itself won't buy you much.

there i said it, what were you going to say?
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    coin is worthless lol...i just didn't think i needed to mention that. on a side note, you can turn 50m coins into more coins easily, but 50m by itself won't buy you much.

there i said it, what were you going to say?

I wouldn't call coin useless due to the simple fact that it can be invested. With the current economy you could probably double that 50m in a space of a month or less (as I have done ever since Anni packs have been released).

Is 100m just as useless? Is 200m?

You say 50m won't buy you much. But I would disagree; the current token prices are about 14k on sanc. You could get over 3500 tokens with that amount of cash. After these corals disappear, you can easily resell them at 30k+, after disguising them as one of the items provided by the PWI Agent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010

My 2 Cent

LOL
    that be a great idea~ make it so you lose nothing and keep gaining everytime you open a pack!
    /sarcasm
    <---opened 0 lucky coral packs, only 1 annipack, and 3 Halloween packs.
    b:chuckle
    (got tokens for anni pack & candy for the halloween pack lol.)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    worthless relatively to coin back when gold wasn't so high. coin was worth something back then, when you can grind your way to a leg pet, a mount, and a +3 aero by 7x. can you do the same now? of course you use it to invest, there's not much else you can do with it.

believe me lol...oracles, shards, it's been done to death (by me no less). don't think i don't know about it. besides, you can resell that **** for 30k each in some other shape or form afterwards, but it better go fast cuz you KNOW packs are coming back in 2 weeks.
    edited January 2010
    worthless relatively to coin back when gold wasn't so high. coin was worth something back then, when you can grind your way to a leg pet, a mount, and a +3 aero by 7x. can you do the same now? of course you use it to invest, there's not much else you can do with it.

believe me lol...oracles, shards, it's been done to death (by me no less). don't think i don't know about it. besides, you can resell that **** for 30k each in some other shape or form afterwards, but it better go fast cuz you KNOW packs are coming back in 2 weeks.

me found Quilue! b:chuckle
    lolcat37.jpg
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    **** inflation lol
    edited January 2010
    this be me when me get some coins....
    179.jpg
    b:surrender
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Steroid - Sanctuary
    Steroid - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    **** inflation lol

Coins are worthless. That's why I only keep around 1 mil coins on me and the rest are in the form of gold and consumable boutique items/tokens. Remember, coins depreciate while gold, when bought at the right time, appreciate.
    edited January 2010
    Coins are worthless. That's why I only keep around 1 mil coins on me and the rest are in the form of gold and consumable boutique items/tokens. Remember, coins depreciate while gold, when bought at the right time, appreciate.
    Most of the time you're right, but there are some short-lived times when it's better to liquidate assets and hold on to coins for a while. For example, the day after Coral came out I sold everything and just held on to coins while waiting for the initial buying rush of Gold/Coral to pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]