Assaa...rcher?

Sheyde - Sanctuary
Sheyde - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Archer
Hi, i have question for you Archers, I'm cleric but got bored with being a slave to everyone else, and i want to make new character, just can't decide between Archer or Assasin, i prefer archer since they are ranged, but assasin has cool skills like Blood paint or shadowalk. What do you think about it? Even they are Light armor, i saw high levels in west gate arch and secret passage they are total killers unless like clerics.
Post edited by Sheyde - Sanctuary on

Comments

• XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Just look at my posts...

I have a lvl52 archer and I LOVE IT! Sure, it's not the same as walking up to a mob and letting him hit you while you kill him...it's BETTER!

I'm really enjoying the archer, and there's so much to learn. Anyways...that's my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Homaru - Harshlands
    Homaru - Harshlands Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It really comes down to if you want to be ranged or close-ranged.

In my opinion, Assassins are better at PvE than Archers
    and archers are better at PvP than Assassins.

I'm not saying Assassins aren't bad, becuse they aren't. But archers can shoot down people before they get close. Assassins just have to hope their stuns hit.
    b:bye
  • Cirdan - Lost City
    Cirdan - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if assasins are better at PvE than archers, but I do know that assasins are also very strong in PvP as well, since I have one. They can even use their spark eruptions while in stealth, so you might want to be looking over your shoulder more oftenb:chuckle. reguardless Archers have their strengths and weaknesses as well.

I agree with Homaru, it really comes down to if you want to be ranged or melee. Both classes are balanced for their styles. Archers have skills that allow them to keep mobs and PvPers at bay, and kite them if necesary (speed increase from 79 skill). Assasins have stuns and a freeze good for not letting your mob or PvPer get away from you, if they do you have 2 skills to teleport to them and 2 speed increase skills. Assasins also have skills to help them evade melee attacks and status effects besides the evasion they get from being a dex based class.

I suggest trying the both up to about lvl29 if you can, then make a choice.

Good Luck and have fun!^^
  • Homaru - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if assasins are better at PvE than archers, but I do know that assasins are also very strong in PvP as well, since I have one. They can even use their spark eruptions while in stealth, so you might want to be looking over your shoulder more oftenb:chuckle. reguardless Archers have their strengths and weaknesses as well.

I agree with Homaru, it really comes down to if you want to be ranged or melee. Both classes are balanced for their styles. Archers have skills that allow them to keep mobs and PvPers at bay, and kite them if necesary (speed increase from 79 skill). Assasins have stuns and a freeze good for not letting your mob or PvPer get away from you, if they do you have 2 skills to teleport to them and 2 speed increase skills. Assasins also have skills to help them evade melee attacks and status effects besides the evasion they get from being a dex based class.

I suggest trying the both up to about lvl29 if you can, then make a choice.

Good Luck and have fun!^^

The reason why I said archers were better in my opinion, is because the style of play for assassins is *hide* kill someone *hide again*
    and while it makes them survive longer, there's a lot more pvp downtime with sins. I like to always be in the fray. :3
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I take off almost 4 mil hp off a world boss on my first shot, lets see an assassin do that. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    archers = better at PvE paws down.
    *cough STA cough*
    assassins = better PvP since.....they has that annoying total uncounterable invisibility.
    b:surrender
    a bit broken lol
    (>.<)'

well if Aoes could actually AoE instead of targetting stuff....me would be able to reasonably counter invisibility
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Meeplk - Harshlands
    Meeplk - Harshlands Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I take off almost 4 mil hp off a world boss on my first shot, lets see an assassin do that. b:chuckle

screenie or liesb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

magic mmmb:dirty
  • Homaru - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    archers = better at PvE paws down.
    *cough STA cough*
    assassins = better PvP since.....they has that annoying total uncounterable invisibility.
    a bit broken lol
    (>.<)'

well if Aoes could actually AoE instead of targetting stuff....me would be able to reasonably counter invisibility

Well aside from sharptooth, sins seem to deal more DD in PvE

and the assassin invisibility wont be very useful in TW's. There are AoE's everywhere during TW's, they're bound to get hit by a couple while they're crawling by.

Sharptooth, it takes 16% of targets hp when maxed. WB's have a ton of hp.
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    rumor say new pots gonna be released in future, increase awareness pot >:}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sneakret - Heavens Tear
    Sneakret - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It really depends on the situation, I've hesitated countless times saying to myself why the frik didn't I just make an archer, they own, stay out of AOE's, and have a sexy bow. Other times, for drawn out fights like Public Quest, I've never lost once to an archer at or above my lvl from 70+ with standard daggers.

It's just in the play style that defines them, as mentioned above, roll both, play with each to an extent and see what best fits you're way of playing.
    I can see what you see not,
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be,
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Sharpened Tooth Arrow. 16% x 23m HP = 3.68m HP. Now account for Sage/Demon's increased max HP reduction and you've got the 4m number.
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I was rounding up from 3.68m, hense the word "almost". So I was cheating a little, but my point was made. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • Plicid - Heavens Tear
    Plicid - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    if you want PvE go Veno. I do 20% and at the end have a 10k repair bill. That being said, both Archer and Sins are great at PvP. I think sins will be better at open PvP, and Archers better at TW. Sin has more survivability from stealth, and can get the jump on someone. So should be able to kill any non Heavy user 1v1. In TW though Archers have Barrage, and can move on to new target faster. Also Archers dont have to group up to all attack the same person, so you wont end up chain stunned by a group of BMs. So real question is Open PvP or TW?
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Melee light armour + low hp?

Your gonna get seriously pwned by ordinary mobs. Light armour is very squishy. Yeah in PVP your gonna be invis and quickly jump out, but you dont use massive spark skills for grinding do you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    I will choose Archer, i just saw movies from TW, archer killed a barb with 2-3 shotsb:dirty
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The downside of Archer : if you wanna solo TT or any other instance Bosses melee are way superior even surpass Veno b:chuckle . Just look Archer's video of how he soloyed 3-2. So according to that Assassin is the best suited char for that b:bye

To 3-2 TT video maker:
    Hun, if you read this i have small request: Can you try to make video of Soloying WB (except passive long range debuffer bugged boss) ? b:cute
  • Reico_M - Dreamweaver
    Reico_M - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Archers and Assassins are both heavily Dex based. A lot of assassins I've met carry bows on them, and do more regular damage pew pewing with them than attacking normally with their daggers. Sure, you don't get archer skills, but you can always throw dagger, switch to bow, pew pew, switch to daggers when the mob gets close, do your thing.
  • Aquagirl - Raging Tide
    Aquagirl - Raging Tide Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    wnight wrote: »
    To 3-2 TT video maker:
    Hun, if you read this i have small request: Can you try to make video of Soloying WB (except passive long range debuffer bugged boss) ? b:cute

I know for a fact he and a guildmate soloed 2 or 3 WB in one day. I don't know exactly which ones since I wasn't on like at that time, but they were selling the drops after b:chuckle

I really hope you're just playing stupid right now
  • Desiderius - Raging Tide
    Desiderius - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Look.... I'm not that of an expert on the game but well, I've tried EVERY single class, and to tell you the truth ASSASIN is my favorite.

Yeah, some skills need to sacrifice HP but the attack rateis pretty fast and if you know how to contro it, it can do lots of damage. It gains EXP pretty fast but most of your stat points will have to be given to DEXTERY cuz it's needed for a lot od assasinweapons and skills.

If you like killing mobs quick and with style, the assasin is for you, plus, I'm liking the Tideborn quests more than any other
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    wnight wrote: »
    if you wanna solo TT or any other instance

Solo TT? Is it even possible? Anyway im choosing archer, thanks for posts b:thanks
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Yes, you can solo TT (some of them) as an archer. Average gear is sufficient.
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Well actually Why archer is good at Pvp They need to be away from target to have high hits and Barb or Bm needs to be close to attack
  • Homaru - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Melee light armour + low hp?

Your gonna get seriously pwned by ordinary mobs. Light armour is very squishy. Yeah in PVP your gonna be invis and quickly jump out, but you dont use massive spark skills for grinding do you?

Sins have bloodpaint, I know sins that don't even use pots while grinding because bloodpaint heals them so often. Add that to the 74 daggers with health proc, and you've got yourself a personal EP.

The melee and low hp really hurts in pvp, imo. Everything hits you hard and you don't have enough hp to survive. The moment you're out of invisible, expect to take heavy pvp damage.

Also, Sins don't have any magic damage, so HA's are next to impossible to kill. Given, you don't have to kill them, you can just stealth by.
    I will choose Archer, i just saw movies from TW, archer killed a barb with 2-3 shotsb:dirty

I'm glad you went with archer b:pleased
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    Athena - Raging Tide Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    but you dont use massive spark skills for grinding do you?

Considering we can have full chi just about anytime we want... yes, we do.
    Well not the spark skills as much, but just double/triple spark eruption. Because it's just so easy for us to keep sparking over and over. Sins generate chi the easiest out of any class.
    It's the same reason why assassins pretty much hold aggro the best. Think about it this way: we have almost the same base attack rate as a fist bm, the crit percent of an archer, and we can spam spark eruptions.
    Psychics are the aggro stealers early on in the game, but as the crit percent goes up and the chi skills and spark become available, sins become the aggro stealers.
    It's hard to take aggro from a sin who knows how to keep it. Even if you're a barb.
  • DrkLordZ - Sanctuary
    DrkLordZ - Sanctuary Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Hi, i have question for you Archers, I'm cleric but got bored with being a slave to everyone else, and i want to make new character, just can't decide between Archer or Assasin, i prefer archer since they are ranged, but assasin has cool skills like Blood paint or shadowalk. What do you think about it? Even they are Light armor, i saw high levels in west gate arch and secret passage they are total killers unless like clerics.

clerics are better pvp'ers then you think lol
    Please donate money into my mailbox :)

I'm poor as heck.
  • Mahdust - Harshlands
    Mahdust - Harshlands Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Who needs 2-3 shots? b:chuckle

This is true, I played a cleric up to 49 and pretty much rolled any other class my level. Can't say how they are past that though, they get their strong skills a bit earlier than other classes. (shell, debuff, self buffs, OP heals, patk, matk, roflsrs?)

Im sure sins > archer for PvE, bloodpaint so they don't have to use normal pots, bows to attack from a distance, (question, bloodpaint works with bow? I know it doesn't effect archers, but the description only says the buff doesn't work on archers) if they think they're in trouble they can just force stealth and of course they gain chi like nuts. Archers don't have any kind of self-heal, where the sin doesn't even have to use MP to gain HP back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010

FAIL, no they don't most of PKrs are archers bms and barbs, which makes Cleric already f*cked up, Arcane robe is weakest armor ever, even heavy plate gives more Magic defense that arcane physical resistance. And now im more convinced to Assasins, they have bloodpaint, which is cool, Archer can attack from distance, but Assasin i was Pking with, just dissapear, and attacked me from nonwhere, how is it, i sometimes they are transparent and another time they re totally invisible.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    yeah realistically wizards and venos should be up there in PvP performance. Sanct just don't have a lot of them
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    i think that assasin with be better choice. No offense archer is cool too but i think tideborn would be better character for me and if not, i can always start over again.
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Archer destroys everything. But when it comes to PvP, an assassin can shadowalk or do w/e it does and turn invisible and run over an noob archer, or any other character for that matter. Also the assassin Blood Paint skill is amazing.
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com