HP in Armor or Phy. Def?

SacredPride - Heavens Tear
SacredPride - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Barbarian
Most of the time I view a barbs equips, they have shards that give HP. I rarely see a barb with Physical Defense shards.

So I was just wondering, which is better? Shards that give more HP? or shards that give more Phys. Atk? and why?

Also, why do barbs put in shards that give more HP? Does it only give the amount of HP it says? Or its a % that adds to your HP?
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.
Post edited by SacredPride - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    HP because moar P def = diminishing returns and since their gear already gives em a boatload of P def.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    p.def shards are quite silly if you already have like 75% physical resistance
    and you need way to much p.def shards for another % and this is because our gear gives loads p.def already and p.def shards dont protect you from magic atacks

one you tanked enough TTs you will understand why hp is way more important then p.def
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    barb gear already gives you more or less 70%+ def reduction to further it 1% more you will need like 4 lvl 8 phys def shards and its not worth it, thus HP shards are better.
  • SacredPride - Heavens Tear
    SacredPride - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I see. Well thanks for replies guys :) I guess I'm going HP shards.
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.
  • aeonidas
    aeonidas Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Is there somewhere a list where i can see how much pdef is equivalent to how much physical reduction?

So what i want to know is what is max pdef you need to reach and when it is better to use hp-shards?
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    since you already have a **** ton of hp and def, why not go for diamonds of tiger? sounded like an interesting idea on the archer forums, we lose a couple hundred hp but gain a huge jump in damage %... wouldnt that be lovely for PK and tanking?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm one of the rare barbs who use garnet shards in armor b:laugh. But I don't see any difference in tanking a boss with physical attacks, and having alacrity works well so I'm fine with garnets. But I heard my friend having trouble with pure magic mobs on his BM at 60+, so I would change to citrines.

As a barb
    Citrines work really well on barbs, HP bonus goes very high if HP is stacked with beastial inspiration, and tiger form's HP boost. Best way to tank with extra HP at endgame. Once you get invoke, its better HP shards all the way.

Garnet shards gets more access for P.DEF than citrines in HP in tiger form, especially at endgame which is the tiger form's, most of the bosses throughout the game I went through were physical or semi-physical bosses, so the barb with garnets result with tanking best until citrines do better for tanking.

VIT shards are best tanking shards at endgame, adds 10 VIT per stone.

Only 2 normal shards that a barb should be using for his armor. To work with his buff which is Citrines and Garnets. It won't really matter though. Garnets are better at tanking physical attacks than citrines and citrines are better at tanking magical attacks. But when you reach 99, special shards to armor tops them all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm one of the rare barbs who use garnet shards in armor b:laugh. But I don't see any difference in tanking a boss with physical attacks, and having alacrity works well so I'm fine with garnets. But I heard my friend having trouble with pure magic mobs on his BM at 60+, so I would change to citrines.

As a barb
    Citrines work really well on barbs, HP bonus goes very high if HP is stacked with beastial inspiration, and tiger form's HP boost. Best way to tank with extra HP at endgame. Once you get invoke, its better HP shards all the way.

Garnet shards gets more access for P.DEF than citrines in HP in tiger form, especially at endgame which is the tiger form's, most of the bosses throughout the game I went through were physical or semi-physical bosses, so the barb with garnets result with tanking best until citrines do better for tanking.

Only 2 normal shards that a barb should be using for his armor. To work with his buff which is Citrines and Garnets. It won't really matter though. Garnets are better at tanking physical attacks than citrines and citrines are better at tanking magical attacks. But when you reach 99, special shards to armor tops them all
    ignore this guy, hes a misinformed forum troll parading as if he knows everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Lunk_Warleg - Sanctuary
    Lunk_Warleg - Sanctuary Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    aeonidas wrote: »
    Is there somewhere a list where i can see how much pdef is equivalent to how much physical reduction?

So what i want to know is what is max pdef you need to reach and when it is better to use hp-shards?

Is not list but here is the formula after you can calculate yourself how much % can a Ph. Def. Shard will give you :

resistance% = Ph. Def. / (Ph.Def + 40*attacker level)

Let's say you have Ph. Def. of 3200 and you deal with a level 55 mob.
    The math would be like this :
    3200/(3200+40*55)=0.59
    So your ph. resistance would be 59%

Try to add 2 flawless garnet shards in this formula (meaning 41*2) :
    3282/(3282+40*55)=0.59
    Your Ph. resistance stays the same : 59%

There you go : the mathematical proof that garnet shards fail on barbs.

NOTE : Keep in mind that the 3200 Ph. Def. is the average number of a barb around level 50. So for a lev 50 barb to have a 2 flawless shards in his armor is pretty much overkill, but I wanted to point out that even with the best shards for your level, Phisical Defence is still not worth the ride.

~ Lunko
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    Brutu - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2010

As a barb

At about level 50-70 I had the same mindset as you, but when I reached 70 I figured out if I threw immacs or flawless into my armor I would be lucky to get 1% damage mitigation vs with the same shards getting almost 1k hp(which means hp gives more effective hp against even physical mobs)then I stopped thinking that way.

It is because at around 70% the armor asks for almost 1k physical defense to bring the mitigation up by 1 or 2%... And at 60% damage mitigation it's about 1k armor for about 4-5%(not even worth it at 60%).
  • JoKwon - Dreamweaver
    JoKwon - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Are magic defense shards useful at all for barbs? Or not at all?
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    Some barbs swear by them, I personally have not used them because hp is far too attractive to me.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    ignore this guy, hes a misinformed forum troll parading as if he knows everything.

IDK what to say to you, seriously b:laugh
    At about level 50-70 I had the same mindset as you, but when I reached 70 I figured out if I threw immacs or flawless into my armor I would be lucky to get 1% damage mitigation vs with the same shards getting almost 1k hp(which means hp gives more effective hp against even physical mobs)then I stopped thinking that way.

It is because at around 70% the armor asks for almost 1k physical defense to bring the mitigation up by 1 or 2%... And at 60% damage mitigation it's about 1k armor for about 4-5%(not even worth it at 60%).

Garnets definitely don't work for human form unless I am buff by a cleric and / or bm. Other than that, I basically don't really need shards period, for now for solo grinding. But in tanking, I make sure when I tank (almost all of the time) I will have to cancel those spells fast because garnets won't work this way.
    Is not list but here is the formula after you can calculate yourself how much % can a Ph. Def. Shard will give you :

Let's say you have Ph. Def. of 3200 and you deal with a level 55 mob.
    The math would be like this :
    3200/(3200+40*55)=0.59
    So your ph. resistance would be 59%

Try to add 2 flawless garnet shards in this formula (meaning 41*2) :
    3282/(3282+40*55)=0.59
    Your Ph. resistance stays the same : 59%

There you go : the mathematical proof that garnet shards fail on barbs.

NOTE : Keep in mind that the 3200 Ph. Def. is the average number of a barb around level 50. So for a lev 50 barb to have a 2 flawless shards in his armor is pretty much overkill, but I wanted to point out that even with the best shards for your level, Phisical Defence is still not worth the ride.

~ Lunko

Your forgetting about shape shifting intensity, which is only for tiger form. It won't boost too high in human form. Mine is LVL9, and it boosts higher P.DEF (55%) than both my tiger form (LVL2 20) and beast king's inspiration (LVL8, 26%) which have 9% difference. Garnets only have much higher boost in tiger form. Human form doesn't work.

No it isn't too much as useful unless you get cleric buff, either garnets (for tanking in tiger form only) and citrines (better HP boost). Best way to use shards that depends on your skills.

Beast kings inspiration (HP)
    True form (HP)
    Strength of the titans (Damage)
    Shapshifting intensity (P.DEF)
    Bloodbath (accuracy / HP )
    Armageddon (HP)

Citrines, garnets (only in tiger form for armor) and VIT shards (endgame).

Self buff wise, up to you b:pleased. But engame VIT shards are better than the rest ftw b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• VILKASS - Sanctuary
    VILKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    One friend is gona put it in +Def lvl shards, duno how those will work for him.

As said before... we already got a tons of pdef... tigerform increases % of hp. Our most powerful atk arma is based on our human form hp/mp & skill lvl (doesnt mater what weap u got or how much u refine it)

b:surrender
  • Lulznotwar - Lost City
    Lulznotwar - Lost City Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    IDK what to say to you, seriously b:laugh

Garnets definitely don't work for human form unless I am buff by a cleric and / or bm. Other than that, I basically don't really need shards period, for now for solo grinding. But in tanking, I make sure when I tank (almost all of the time) I will have to cancel those spells fast because garnets won't work this way.

Your forgetting about shape shifting intensity, which is only for tiger form. It won't boost too high in human form. Mine is LVL9, and it boosts higher P.DEF (55%) than both my tiger form (LVL2 20) and beast king's inspiration (LVL8, 26%) which have 9% difference. Garnets only have much higher boost in tiger form. Human form doesn't work.

No it isn't too much as useful unless you get cleric buff, either garnets (for tanking in tiger form only) and citrines (better HP boost). Best way to use shards that depends on your skills.

Nice work ignoring the maths of someone else.

Garnets do not bring bang for buck ever.

say you have 4 socket gear and you put 4 flawless garnets you get 41 pdef per shard right?

so 4*41 = 164 then 164*1.6 to get it in tiger form = 262.4 Pdef

for me as a 82 barb that doesnt even add 1% extra resist

Whereas hp shards 4*40=160 plus 30% for HP buff =208 then in tiger another 30% extra = 270.4 hp

Thus you get more hp than pdef point per point

Say you get hit for 1000 by a boss an extra % decrease is 990 dmg

whereas if you shard with hp its 1k you get hit for but you have 270 more hp

Thus garnets fail when used with barbs due to their naturally high-pdef through Heavy armour

So gtfo the barb forums if you're going to be noob

/flame
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    One friend is gona put it in +Def lvl shards, duno how those will work for him.

As said before... we already got a tons of pdef... tigerform increases % of hp. Our most powerful atk arma is based on our human form hp/mp & skill lvl (doesnt mater what weap u got or how much u refine it)

Using citrines for armageddon is awesome for final attack, then its really pointless for garnets, from the maths of course, its true garnets won't be much likely relied on for barbs past 59. We already know the maths, but reason why I chose garnets, taking less P.DMG and IDK, maybe the DMG decrease by % was a bonus. after all we can't go beyond 98% DMG reduction no matter how much P.DEF you had.

But VIT stones are better endgame. Fact, 170 HP with some boost of P.DEF and HP recovery. I think saving coins for VIT stones are better off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

edited February 2010
    OK, I have used flat numbers of a level 50s barb earlier, but I have not taken into consideration the increased physical buffs that can come into account.

So let's do this then!
    I will take actual numbers of a live example : ME ! ^-^
    So we have a level 68 barbarian with BASE Physical Defense : 3894

The buffs we will take into consideration are :
    Shapeshifting Intensity Lev. 10 --> 60%
    Greater Protective Aura --> 60%
    NOTE : We can also take into account Vanguard Spirit Lev.10, but is the same buff as Greater Protective Aura --> 60%, and they don't stack. So, no matter which one, numbers are the same.
    Aura of the Golden Bell Lev. 10 --> 60%

Having the same formula in mind we will have this :

=====================================
    Base resistance : 59%
    3894/(3894 + 40 * 68)= 0.588
    (0.588 will be rounded to 59%)

Base resistance with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 59%
    3894+2*41=3976
    3976/(3976 + 40 * 68) = 0.593
    No change. (you need a minimum of 0.596 to round it up to 60%

======================================

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on : 73%
    NOTE :My Physical Defense with those 2 buffs on is : 7283
    7283/(7283 + 40 * 68) = 0.728

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 73%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*(60%+60%) = 98
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+98= 180.
    7463/(7463 + 40 * 68) = 0.732
    No Change.

======================================

TIGER MODE
    (meaning it has the 60% benefit of Shapeshifting Intensity Lev. 10)

=======================================
    Base resistance : 67%
    5589/(5589 + 40 * 68) = 0.672

Base resistance with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 67%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*60%= 49
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+49=131
    5600/(5600 + 40 * 68) = 0.673
    No Change.

========================================

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on : 77%
    8979/(8979 + 40 * 68) = 0.767

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 77%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*(60%+60%+60%) = 148
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+148=230
    9209/(9209 + 40 * 68) = 0.771
    No change.

==========================================

Ok, so I have proved again mathematically that 2 flawless shards have absolutely no impact and no gain.

Let's see if you shard all your armor with them what happens
    We will take into consideration 5 armor pieces (not the robe) and 2 sockets each --> 10 Flawless Garnet Shards
    I will use Tiger Mode fully buffed directly so I can cut to the chase.

===========================================
    Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on : 77%

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 10 Flawless Garnet Shards : 79%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 10*41*(60%+60%+60%) = 738
    Total shard contribution : 10*41+738=1148
    10127/(10127 + 40 * 68) = 0.788
    Change : +2%

============================================

VICTORY : finally after a lot of sharding you will get around 1% more Physical Defense for each 5 Flawless Garnets Shards. Of course this is true for a barbarian in his late 60s - early 70s. But I presume if you keep upgrading to higher tier shards you will be able to keep this up for later levels.

All good then ... but what are you missing ?
    You will miss 10*40 HP, which in Tiger Mode + Beast King Inspiration Lev.10 means 640 HP.

So we have +2% Physical Defense VS 640 HP.

For start that +2% applies only to physical attacks, where HP will do in whatever situation.

From the PvP point of view I think is rather obvious that more HP is better since it has no penalty or anything that would change it's value.

From PvE we have 2 options :

Normal mobs.
    Let's say at this level they hit a round number of 200 dmg (discussion is only physical related). The 2% mean 4 damage. You will have to be hit 160 times CONTINUOUSLY by a single/more mob(s) to make up the 640 HP - THAT will never happen in reality. I said CONTINUOUSLY because if you have some downtime ( 3 seconds or 1 minute, doesn't matter) the HP regeneration will kick in and change the values of everything. So I think is pretty clear that 4 damage per hit is almost useless and you could never survive more than around 40 hits anyway (we are keeping things simple : no HP pots or Sunder and so on, because is impossible do the math).

Bosses
    How Physical Damage a boss can deal ( a boss that can be tanked for a level 68 barb - the whole post is based on his numbers)? Probably around 1000. But I will go as far as 2000 damage just for the sake of argument.
    So you avoid 40 damage each hit. This is fair enough, the 640 HP boost are covered in 16 hits - THAT will most likely happen in reality.
    In conclusion, if the boss is in your level range and you are packed with FULL armor on Garnet Shards, only then you get something out of it.

I have shown the pros and cons of Garnet Shards on barbs using myself as an example to crunch the numbers. Use this small guide if you want to calculate any further for higher level players. It won't be that different in my opinion.

My conclusion is that Garnet Shards have a very limited context they can yield any good results , thus the HP gain being far more important.

Garnet Shards......Silly Rabbits!
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    OK, I have used flat numbers of a level 50s barb earlier, but I have not taken into consideration the increased physical buffs that can come into account.

So let's do this then!
    I will take actual numbers of a live example : ME ! ^-^
    So we have a level 68 barbarian with BASE Physical Defense : 3894

The buffs we will take into consideration are :
    Shapeshifting Intensity Lev. 10 --> 60%
    Greater Protective Aura --> 60%
    NOTE : We can also take into account Vanguard Spirit Lev.10, but is the same buff as Greater Protective Aura --> 60%, and they don't stack. So matter wich one, numbers are the same.
    Aura of the Golden Bell Lev. 10 --> 60%

Having the same formula in mind we will have this :

Base resistance : 59%
    3894/(3894 + 40 * 68)= 0.588
    (0.588 will be rounded to 59%)

Base resistance with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 59%
    3894+2*41=3976
    3976/(3976 + 40 * 68) = 0.593
    No change. (you need a minimum of 0.596 to round it up to 60%)

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on : 73%
    NOTE :My Physical Defense with those 2 buffs on is : 7283
    7283/(7283 + 40 * 68) = 0.728

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 73%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*(60%+60%) = 98
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+98= 180.
    7463/(7463 + 40 * 68) = 0.732
    No Change.

TIGER MODE

(meaning it has the 60% benefit of Shapeshifting Intensity Lev. 10)

Base resistance : 67%
    5589/(5589 + 40 * 68) = 0.672

Base resistance with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 67%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*60%= 49
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+49=131
    5600/(5600 + 40 * 68) = 0.673
    No Change.

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 2 Flawless Garnet Shards : 77%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 2*41*(60%+60%+60%) = 148
    Total shard contribution : 2*41+148=230
    9209/(9209 + 40 * 68) = 0.771
    No change.

Ok, so I have proved again mathematically that 2 flawless shards have absolutely no impact and no gain.

Let's see if you shard all your armor with them what happends
    We will take into consideration 5 armor pieces (not the robe) and 2 sockets each --> 10 Flawless Garnet Shards
    I will use Tiger Mode fully buffed directly so I can cut to the chase.

Base resistance with Greater Protective Aura and Aura of the Golden Bell buffs on and with 10 Flawless Garnet Shards : 79%
    As far as buffs affect the shards, this would mean 10*41*(60%+60%+60%) = 738
    Total shard contribution : 10*41+738=1148
    10127/(10127 + 40 * 68) = 0.788
    Change : +2%

VICTORY : finally after a lot of sharding you will get around 1% more Physical Defense for each 5 Flawless Garnets Shards. Of course this is true for a barbarian in his late 60s - early 70s. But I presume if you keep upgrading to higher tier shards you will be able to keep this up for later levels.

All good then ... but what are you missing ?
    You will miss 10*40 HP, which in Tiger Mode + Beast King Inspiration Lev.10 means 640 HP.

So we have +2% Physical Defense VS 640 HP.

For start that +2% applies only to physical attacks, where HP will do in whatever situation.

From the PvP point of view I think is rather obvious that more HP is better since it has no penalty or anything that would change it's value.

From PvE we have 2 options :

Normal mobs.
    Let's say at this level they hit a round number of 200 dmg (discussion is only physical related). The 2% mean 4 damage. You will have to be hit 160 times CONTINUOUSLY by a single/more mob(s) to make up the 640 HP - THAT will never happen in reality. I said CONTINUOUSLY because if you have some downtime ( 3 seconds or 1 minute, doesn't matter) the HP regeneration will kick in and change the values of everything. So I think is pretty clear that 4 damage per hit is almost useless and you could never survive more than around 40 hits anyway (we are keeping things simple : no HP pots or Sunder and so on, because is impossible do the math).

Bosses
    How Physical Damage a boss can deal ( a boss that can be tanked for a level 68 barb - the whole post is based on his numbers)? Probably around 1000. But I will go as far as 2000 damage just for the sake of argument.
    So you avoid 40 damage each hit. This is fair enough, the 640 HP boost are covered in 16 hits - THAT will most likely happen in reality.
    In conclusion, if the boss is in your level range and you are packed with FULL armor on Garnet Shards, only then you get something out of it.

I have shown the pros and cons of Garnet Shards on barbs using myself as an example to crunch the numbers. Use this small guide if you want to calculate any further for higher level players. It won't be that different in my opinion.

My conclusion is that Garnet Shards have a very limited context they can yield any good results , thus the HP gain being far more important.

Garnet Shards......Silly Rabbits!
    b:chuckle

59 and above citrines are better hands down, of course because of the 59 skills. I stacked lots of garnet shards, and still using it atm b:chuckle. But that will change once I get invoke the spirit b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• GrEEwland - Lost City
    GrEEwland - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i think it is pretty silly to ask that kind of a question ... especially @ barbs... because, when you max your hp buff and go to tiger form you get +60% more hp... if you go sage that % gets even more up... so, that means you get not only 40 hp from 1 flawless, you get like 70hp... you shouldn't put anything other than hp buffs in barb's equipment.. bm's in the other hand can put garnets or sapphire if they like cus they have their alter marrows and genie balance... and -> they have their natural buff...
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    i think it is pretty silly to ask that kind of a question ... especially @ barbs... because, when you max your hp buff and go to tiger form you get +60% more hp... if you go sage that % gets even more up... so, that means you get not only 40 hp from 1 flawless, you get like 70hp... you shouldn't put anything other than hp buffs in barb's equipment.. bm's in the other hand can put garnets or sapphire if they like cus they have their alter marrows and genie balance... and -> they have their natural buff...

Dude, using flawless after grade 8+ armor = dumb... There is better citines you know. At LVL99 VIT stones > flawless critines by far xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• Lulznotwar - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Dude, using flawless after grade 8+ armor = dumb... There is better citines you know. At LVL99 VIT stones > flawless critines by far xD

Immacs are wasted in anything but hh80 gold or hh90 green/gold

and maybe cape of taurens and any event items you would ideally want vit stones but 25-30mil each? nty
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    59 and above citrines are better hands down, of course because of the 59 skills. I stacked lots of garnet shards, and still using it atm b:chuckle. But that will change once I get invoke the spirit b:dirty
    I would say don't shard things under level 50(or 60) and if you start sharding due to the numbers above you might as well go hp.

And you will find invoke to not be that useful unless your in a select situation as it destroys your chi and thus you wouldn't be able to hold aggro after you use it for very long.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    A good barb friend of mine sharded most of him armor with Sapphires...he can tank both magic and physical mobs...so pro.

b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Lulznotwar - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    A good barb friend of mine sharded most of him armor with Sapphires...he can tank both magic and physical mobs...so pro.

b:dirty

Konari stop trolling b:chuckle
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • Gimlett - Lost City
    Gimlett - Lost City Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    since you already have a **** ton of hp and def, why not go for diamonds of tiger? sounded like an interesting idea on the archer forums, we lose a couple hundred hp but gain a huge jump in damage %... wouldnt that be lovely for PK and tanking?

Relative to an archer, barb's p.attk damage is very low. So a percentage increase isn't really that great. Also, you need g12 gear to shard with diamonds. If you have g12 gear, do it properly and get vit stones like I did =P
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    By far HP shards are better by the time you really should be putting any useful (flawless+) shards into anything. I went with HP shards and have way more HP then a lot of barbs my level and they may have a % on me for p. def to my 2.5k HP over them. Clerics tend to say I'm the tank a lot more haha.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Jibreel - Harshlands
    Jibreel - Harshlands Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    why do we need phys def or phys attack? we got axes + SS intensity wen tanking. and if BM there, you get aura of campbell and at my lvl, im getting 1.1k p.def =D
    HP is coz we are crazy abt HP.. we are addicts.. plus we have two skills that give % to exp. i get 60% more HP right now in tiger form + Buff =D
    some say saphire shards are good too.. but i dont take them much. have only 2 sharded to the robe and thats it.
    oh and get ambers for your axes if you dont have accuracy or dex in your eq :)
  • dthrum
    dthrum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    what about Diamond of Dragon for the +1 def? or do barbs still go down the HP route??
    edited March 2010
    dthrum wrote: »
    what about Diamond of Dragon for the +1 def? or do barbs still go down the HP route??

Well THAT is something else. It is different with Diamond of the Tiger because it adds exponential defense (meaning in %) and not just flat numbers as the other shards do.
    I did not state that in my previous posts (for these obvious reasons), not I took into account for my calculations that I provided.

I will try to come up with some number crunching again if I have the time to do it, but as a side note, is really something else and the discussion is not the same as above when we talk about grade 12 shards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esque - Lost City
    Esque - Lost City Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    and if BM there, you get aura of campbell

b:laugh

/10char
    Allnighte - knn read pwdatabase laio, rank6 weap needs all of the badges la.
    rank8 laio just la needs laio rep la

Naevo - o wait dis be pw-my-en? ding dong la