Just to be clear...Pet skill

SKaligo - Dreamweaver
SKaligo - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Venomancer
I see tons of topics on this forum about pet skills and where to learn/buy them but I can't seem to find nor have the time to read 10k threads so I will ask.

I have Herc, I took pounce off and Added bash cause I heard it was the best aggro holding skill.

I got herc to 60 today and Bash is level 3 atm, But it never seems to hold aggro one bit unless I let herc just solo a mob till half Hp is gone...

Is it worth leveling Bash to lv 4? Cause even at level 40 I had this problem.. And well spending almost 65m on this herc is starting to be a disappointment because my level 50 Glacial walker Holds aggro better with its stock skills b:surrender

Thanks in advance
Post edited by SKaligo - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• SKaligo - Dreamweaver
    SKaligo - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    orly? NO answer yet? I take it Herc is bugged then? 65 million coin waste?b:cry
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm not a veno but i'll post....herc actually has a rep of sometimes having aggro issues. I have on my cleric been able to steal aggro on bosses from 8x hercs since i was lvl 70. This is particularly the case for you, as you have probably found, for range mobs as herc's reflect only works against melee. The reason for the aggro holding problem over all you have noticed is that herc's skill bar is full of buffs which is what makes herc awesome. leveling bash will just make it easier to hold aggro.

Is herc a waste... not unless u farm all the rare skills and put them on a glacial or something but even then herc would probably be better. Is farming feasible to do? nope. remember ... now u can solo TT easily ... even squad mode for most TT. cant say that about any other pet or class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    At level 60, you can put bash level 4 on, which will help, but as far as holding aggro, pets with multiple bashes will always win out over a herc (except where the herc is getting hit hard enough for reflect to make up the difference, and then there really isn't an alternative to the herc as far as pets go, as nothing else will take the hits.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Herc really isn't an awesome grind pet, and Reflect is better for aggro on what the Herc is best for (Bosses / Elites).
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You should be able to keep aggro once the herc has landed one or two hits.

Admittedly, yes, on low mobs that's enough to knock of half their health.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Dont use a herc to grind and you are golden. Any other pet with 2-3 attack skills or debuffs will be better at holding aggro.

A couple of options that are non-CS.
    Glacial Walker/ CMag - Very good against physical mobs, great damage, great physical resists, nice HP. Walker has higher HP and Mdef, CMag has higher attack and pdef. When you look at the big picture, if you are going to get one of them, Walker may make the most sense, even though it will cost some money to get the skills in order.
    Ranger - Good DD against phsycal mobs, good pdef, average HP
    Antelup pup/carapest/Scorpion/seamonster - Very good against magic mobs, great damage (scorpion has the second best DD potential in game, after Phoenix), they all seem to have only average HP
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Kashmiir - Lost City
    Kashmiir - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    what tweakz said. hercs are not awesome DD's, so they tend to lose agro if you are grinding on regular mobs. however, with hard hitting mobs (bosses etc) reflect will hold the agro (as well as do nice dmg) a lot better... not to mention survive a lot longer.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Glacial Walker/ CMag - Very good against physical mobs, great damage, great physical resists, nice HP. Walker has higher HP and Mdef, CMag has higher attack and pdef.
    Actually, the CMag only has 20 more points of PDef than a Walker of the same level and a Walker will actually have 1 or 2 more points of Attack than a CMag of the same level, no matter what the level. Really, they're nearly identical in PDef and Attack. However, the Walker will continue to get ahead of the Magmite in HP and MDef as they level up. Compare at level 19:
    http://pw.solandri.com/pics/atkpet_compare.jpg
    and at level 42:
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/a558f362138105
    In short, the Walker is almost as good or better in every category than the Crystalline Magmite.
  • Jellytops - Heavens Tear
    Jellytops - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    As mentioned before here, the reflect damage from Herc is a good helper for holding agro. With ranged/magic mobs, it's harder for Herc to hold agro. Lvl bash as soon as you can, since that will help some. If you learn to use him "right" on "right" mobs, you'll be good.

I'm a vit arcane veno, and I still have to pause skills so that I don't steal agro from my Herc. Just treat him like a barb with few skills. You don't go full out with a low skilled barb tanking, and then complaining about the barb being useless. He still get's the work done, it just takes a little more time.
    *-*-*When I wears my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment. I will take vengeance upon mine enemies and I will repay those who hate me. Oh lord, raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy saints.*-*-*