Need Barb!!

Options
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
What's with the depressing reliance on barbs nowadays? I got denied to join a bh stygean squad recently because the squad "needed a barb", despite me being 7.2k unbuffed and having tanked countless times AND knowing the squad leader was a herced veno. I see it all the time too, fully competent squads easily able to handle an instance spending an hour+ endlessly hunting a barb.

Even more depressing is bh59. There is not a squad alive that will listen to you when you suggest letting the wizzy or cleric tank drake or qianji. Doesn't matter how much you ramble on about "magic mob" and "weak DoT, easy to purify"... it goes in one ear and out the other.

And worse again is wc shouts demanding a barb for simple bosses. Jewels, qianji, general feng, w/e. They'll shout for hours, the idea of asking for a "tank" and accepting that kind 9x veno or BM who would be willing to help never even occurs. I tried offering help recently to a few of these squads.... 3/5 were instant-kicks.

Oh and while I'm ranting, someone explain to me why all frost squads are 88+? -.-

Soooo... discuss while I do wq :P
Post edited by _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    this has already been discussed a lot.

people are dumb, you'll just have to live with it. a wizaed or a cleric can do a better job tanking Slitt or Mantavip yet they only ask for barbs =P
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I actually saw a wc shout about 3 days ago "Mantavip squad looking for 80+ barb" ....no joke =/
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    it's cuz people are ****ing ****...you should be glad that you got left out of that squad because with that level of retardation something bad was sure to happen during the run. get yourself a competent squad and good luck. Mantavip with Barb? i aint going to be in on that squad lol
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol@doing mantavip with a barb

Long story short, most players are fools who don't know what their classes are capable of. Last time I decided to help a squad with Fushma on my archer, the squad leader stayed behind in Archo complaining about how he couldn't find a barb while myself and the rest of the squad went and cleared out. When we got to Fush and told him to just come he refused and said having an archer tank would just get everyone killed. We decided to **** him if he didn't want to come and killed fush without any problems (including the aggro ping-pong that would have happened if I were to use an up-to-date weapon with a barb trying to tank in there).

There ARE still some people who know what a squad of competent people can do and are willing to work with them... but between BHs, oracles, laziness, and those in general who just suck at playing... it's getting harder to find those good players.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I agree, barbs can be way over rated. Some people like to just sit back, hit a macro and not really think about the dynamics of this game.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • DrunkWizard - Lost City
    DrunkWizard - Lost City Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol they look for barbs so much they dont get than most fails ar their job

For example a qianji run i had couple hours ago barb didnt hold agro at most mobs just run away n keep going.he even died lolol for rushing against 6mobs.

At the boss he didnt know how to keep chi n hold agro so went from the other wiz to bm n to me finnaly <.< i ended tanking i dun mind tanking qianji but what really pisses me off is the barb asking for repairs after complete n he lie said he did the run 10 times n was lv 70 lol >.< he thought earthflame zeal skill was aoe n will lure qianji n all the mobs at same time b:shocked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i might be a barb myself but i dont really get it either
    at my alts id rather have a tank then endless shouting for a barb
    the only good thing about a barb is agro skils but a bm with alpha male
    and that 1 agro building skill maxed and a holding back squad idc why not to let them tank(if fist bm idc why even having agro skils)
    at a boss like pole i see why youd prefer a barb easily but when a bm manages to have 7k+ hp unbuffed that again sorta disapears for me

the only real reason you can have a must be barb tank is being lazy since they have easily predictable agro skils which again doesnt matter if your barb fails
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i have a better time (as an archer) not stealing agro when a barb tanks than anyone else. and bms pass agro alot like if we have 2 or 3 bms in squad cleric has to bb
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Is it a server specific thing? I don't see issue a lot personally. I tank what I can and leave BM/herc/barb to do their thing b:laugh
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    There ARE still some people who know what a squad of competent people can do and are willing to work with them... but between BHs, oracles, laziness, and those in general who just suck at playing... it's getting harder to find those good players.

This.

Since BH came out, I've ran a few characters through the 4x/5x level ranges. It's sad. We 'need' the barb for Qingzi or Herc, we 'need' two clerics for Farren, we 'need' a phys tank for xxx, xxxx. I've had a cleric town tele on us on Farren because she found it hard healing 5 people at once (and everyone had HA on, so... pots could easily outheal Farren's AoE on all of us, so, she didn't even have to heal anyone much).

With my 6x squads, people are a little more accepting of 'alternates', imo. I've done a 5 wizzie one 8x (uncharmed) BM squad, I've done a squad where we had a HA veno tank everything... but, there are still people that are noobs that think that you 'need' this or that for 'everything'.
  • ShadowNX - Harshlands
    ShadowNX - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No real reason to go out there and volunteer your time. To many idiots QQ at the moment, stay with your core friends and faction members and play the game with people you know.

Do this and you'll stay sane much longer.
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Its sad what people dont know about their classes today..
    Barbs are needed for everything, two clerics are a must.. +sigh+

Im so happy when I get into a good bounty squad, not into one thats just fail to be honest. Ive had archers start off with barrage from the beginning of the a boss on, wizards pulling every agro they can... +sigh+ Its sad.
    But then I see why. Theres so many dailies now you can level from and theres soo many high levels you can ask/beg every time to help you instead of learning how to do it your level.

Ive been the leader of a lowbie faction before. We didnt have barbs, and only one clerics whos level was high enought to do things. We dealt with it as good as we colud. We learned to play our classes instead if having highs solo our quests for us.

Ive changed factions to a big fac with lots of people and also lots of high levels in. I see people beg for help with their bounties, even regular quess. And I hate it. I know theyll be the most fail players when they hit 80s cause they never learned how to control agro or anything. Damn lazy people.

So... where from should they know you dont need a barb?
    Only way to stop it would be leave them all alone with themselves.. Funny imagination. But utopic. So we cant do anything more than tell them, show them.
    Maybe those people will realize one day, they did wrong and that they got a lot to learn.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Nicely said b:victory

Maybe those people will realize one day, they did wrong and that they got a lot to learn.

But this is too much of wishful thinkingb:chuckle
    b:dirty
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I dunno, it kinda feels like people want to be babied through the game until level 90+, presented with end game gear and to somehow pwn everything (won't happen). Risking a bit of exp or trying something different is completely unthinkable.

Frost squads are a good example. When the instance was open, lots of 7x-8x squads ventured in with no knowledge and managed to win through good teamwork and coordination. The general verdict was "fun as heck :D" .....Now the instance is only run for exp and squads are strictly 85-90+ and 1 barb + 2 clerics.

Wine for every bh, fully charmed, several barbs and clerics in every situation, highest level help possible requested for the smallest things, relying purely on dailies and even oracles to spam-level.... sometimes feels like the only way people know how to play is on "super-easy mode" :/
  • Ittoogami - Sanctuary
    Ittoogami - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I wanted to help a squad with Farren on my lvl 86 BM...they kicked me cause "only one cleric cant heal me enough"...
    Next time ill ask a sage barb to come tank Farren for them...b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's because people are jackasses.

This level 5x cleric was looking for a barb for BH 39, and I offered to tank it for him instead - just to prove he didn't need only a barb. This guy lists his entire collection of toons, including some 8x barb and suchlike, and then tells me at lower levels, you need a barb. Then he called me a noob.

I found it funny that he made himself wait a good half an hour longer than he could have done by telling me I was a noob and couldn't tank for him. Maybe the silly fool didn't know I had solo'd that thing for a friend without a cleric earlier on during the day.

I guess people are just living under rocks these days and can't be bothered to let other classes perfectly capable of tanking some mobs actually tank. =)
    .....Now the instance is only run for exp and squads are strictly 85-90+ and 1 barb + 2 clerics.

Two clerics? Since when? I've NEVER run an FC with two clerics.
    That aside, I agree with your post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LingBanamu - Sanctuary
    LingBanamu - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Even more depressing is bh59. There is not a squad alive that will listen to you when you suggest letting the wizzy or cleric tank drake or qianji. Doesn't matter how much you ramble on about "magic mob" and "weak DoT, easy to purify"... it goes in one ear and out the other.

Yesterday I joined a Qianji squad. There were already 3 other clerics in the squad. The leader of the squad starts spamming in common chat for a "tank". Apparently, he got a pm from another cleric, saying they could tank Qianji. The guy starts spamming the "LOL" smiley in squad chat after he invited said cleric. The new cleric asked what was so funny, and the guy's reply was, "5 clerics" followed by more of the smileys. She said, "Not funny."; then a bm was invited to the squad as the cleric left, and his first comment was, "get a barb." A veno was then invited to the squad. Then the bm gave us the name of a barb and left the squad.

More of my BHs are looking like this across all of my toons. For example, on my Veno's BH I have had a level 67 bm completely fail at tanking Wyvern. That was just a bad BH, now that I think about it. Half of the squad was hopelessly lost(the bms and the sin in the squad were always arguing with me about where to go), we had a bm who was suicidal(he rushed Wyvern before everbody was ready. I honestly think he though he was god because he had a platinum charm.), the other bm blamed me for his death because I was in foxform meleeing the boss(he said the cleric couldn't click on him to heal him because I was in the way O_O), we had a sin there for the token quest, and the other veno and the cleric were having lag and connection problems.

The squad ended up disbanding after the second attempt at Wyvern. The attempt went something like this: Wyvern was sitting on top of the bm, so I sent in my magmite to him him. Then put my magmite on follow and kited wyvern while telling the squad my intentions; I was going to kite Wyvern until they were ready, then bring him back. The bm resed and started chasing after me, not giving the cleric a chance to buff him. He stopped and waited at the end of the hall after the last guardian. I notified the squad that I was coming back. As I brought wyvern up on the BM, the cleric had just ran up, the bm didn't self buff, and after the first debuff he was dead within 2 hits even with the cleric healing him. By my experience as a cleric, I wouldn't have had time to use purify after the debuff hit him. The only reason the BM was tanking was because I told the squad that one of the bms should be able to tank, and was I wrong about that. I was expecting them to be somewhat competent and not be total idiots when it comes to working in a squad.

On a different BH, I had a level 64 HA Veno in foxform tank Wyvern with no trouble. This was after the cleric in the squad had failed to heal the barb because she was spam healing the archer. Luckily, I had brought my cleric along on that BH; I had my cleric following my Veno for most of the bh. While I was healing the veno, the cleric was spamming IH on the archer, and the barb was still dead.

On my barb, I normally never had trouble holding multiple aggros on BHs. That is until I had a surge of noob DDs hit me. In normal situations DDs target the same mob as the Barb so they don't get aggro. Since the Rising Tide expansion I can't even hold aggro on one mob because I try to keep aggro of all mobs on me. Now, it seems like, no matter what the DDs in my squad always target the mobs I'm not targeting, and even using knockbacks on the mobs that I do have targeted(even after I had said multiple time for them to not use knockbacks! I realize that Landslide is an awesome skill, but come on; I don't want 5 more mobs aggroing on me while roar is on cooldown). I started noticing this surge of bad DDing about 2-3 weeks ago. Not to mention the cleric with level 3 IH who would/could not heal on Farren, or the cleric who told a Psy to tank Farren over a higher level barb(the Psy being early 50s and me being a late 50s Barb with close to 6k hp; it worked out, but it would have been easier to heal a barb, right?).

Most of the BHs that have been "interesting" like this have happened in the past 2-3 weeks. I normally have no trouble finding squads that run with no trouble and no quarrel. I don't know if it has been my luck recently or if random squads are really getting to be this bad.

On a more on topic note, I have been seeing more world chats for barbs. The reasons have varied from low level bhs, to mid level bosses, and high level instances. Is there a sudden lack of barbs? Have they gone into hiding because of the abuse from the low levels? I know that I have had higher leveled barbs be called in for bh39, 51, and 59 on many occasions. There have also been times in each of those bhs where a barb wasn't necessary or would have run just fine without one.

Honestly, in most situations a Barb really isn't necessary, especially in lower level instances or for lower level bosses. Better yet, having a higher level barb brought in over a lower level barb for bosses such as Jewel, Viriddis, the 49 culti bosses, and Khewy; I have had it happen to my barb. A friend of mine, a 9x barb, couldn't help with the bosses at the time so he asked me to help since my barb was in the level range of the bosses needed. The cleric was level 84 and shortly after I was invited an 86 barb was brought into the squad.

I'll end my rant here. It went on longer than I was wanting it to, lol. Sorry about the wall of text. b:surrender

-Ling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Sorry for second post in this topic but...

I <3 doing things on my own. What's the point of a game if it doesn't have challenge (I was trying to solo FB19 at level 2x, and didn't stop trying 'till I did in my 3xs-- I can bet you some squishes would look at me, at 6x, and say, "You can't tank FB19.)

That said, I had a veno on my BH today. Knowing she had the last spot in squad, (she had pm'd me on my common chat of, "One spot left for BH51 Wyv and Fush") and she said... "I have an 85 barb that wants to come." as if expecting us to kick someone for the barb. We had a completely rainbow squad, all 6xs... and I sure as hell wasn't kicking anyone so a high level could coddle us through.

And as for saying a 8x BM can't tank Farren... lmao. Idiots. I hope they squad wiped with the barb they went and got.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    On my barb, I normally never had trouble holding multiple aggros on BHs. That is until I had a surge of noob DDs hit me. In normal situations DDs target the same mob as the Barb so they don't get aggro. Since the Rising Tide expansion I can't even hold aggro on one mob because I try to keep aggro of all mobs on me. Now, it seems like, no matter what the DDs in my squad always target the mobs I'm not targeting, and even using knockbacks on the mobs that I do have targeted(even after I had said multiple time for them to not use knockbacks! I realize that Landslide is an awesome skill, but come on; I don't want 5 more mobs aggroing on me while roar is on cooldown). I started noticing this surge of bad DDing about 2-3 weeks ago.

I hate this. Not that you don't keep aggro, but that the DDs keep taking it.

I've said it before and I'll just rage about it here again, fail DDs are starting to give the competent ones a bad name. I'm joining squads these days and am being told to "nerf my damage" and "not go crazy" - and as much as I appreciate the fact these people don't want me to steal, I know very well already how to play my class.

Not to moan at people being safe, but it irks me that people now assume I cannot play my class worth a dime and walk me through what firing an arrow at a mob does. And this aside, even if you tell a bad DD what to do, they're still going to **** up anyhow because they don't know WTF to do when you tell them to play properly.

Then again, over the past few weeks, there has been an influx of failures in EVERY class. Like the level 92 barbarian who had no idea what tiger form was, and was confused when the entire squad decided to kick him from the run we were doing and acted like we were in the wrong.

Somebody needs to make a thread so we can share all our stories of failure and hiss and spit and laugh at the idiots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    Lenn_ - Sanctuary Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i dont get why people are so ignorant sometimes either :|. the other night, my 35 assassin and a cleric/psychic of the same level healed me while i tanked krixxix with a bow. sure it was a bit painful, but the job got done, and we didnt need no stinkin barb.

it was fun getting a charm and showing to my companions in BHs my archer could solo 59 :P, they acted as if it was some magnificent feat. ...any archer or wiz or cleric can do it too ~_~...
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    this has already been discussed a lot.

people are dumb, you'll just have to live with it. a wizaed or a cleric can do a better job tanking Slitt or Mantavip yet they only ask for barbs =P

HAHAHAHAHA....I'll DD for Mantavip but I will not tank him. I let clerics/Wizzies tank that one. I may be a barb but I know my limits.

Slitt doesn't bother me too much though.

But yes, some people have been conditioned to think that only barbs can tank, and that's just wrong. There are certain bosses that can be tanked by other other classes and tanked very well. There's a few that, IMO, barbs do a better job at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • LingBanamu - Sanctuary
    LingBanamu - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll just rage about it here again, fail DDs are starting to give the competent ones a bad name. I'm joining squads these days and am being told to "nerf my damage" and "not go crazy" - and as much as I appreciate the fact these people don't want me to steal, I know very well already how to play my class.

Bad DDs give everybody in the squad doing their job right a bad name, especially the barb and cleric
    Not to moan at people being safe, but it irks me that people now assume I cannot play my class worth a dime and walk me through what firing an arrow at a mob does. And this aside, even if you tell a bad DD what to do, they're still going to **** up anyhow because they don't know WTF to do when you tell them to play properly.

I've had people try to tell me how to play my cleric before. The best time I remember was on Wurlord. I don't remember if it was 2-2 or 2-3, but I am feeling pretty sure that it was 2-2. The other cleric is the squad was using BB and I was to be the secondary healer. So after every magic attack from wurlord I would stack a few IH and toss a couple WS on the barb. The cleric told me several times to stop using WS. I kept using it until I was tired of listing to him. It wouldn't have aggravated me as much as it did if the cleric noted to the barb that altracity does interrupt the channeling of the attack. Then again, I might have been the only one in the squad who knew that.
    Then again, over the past few weeks, there has been an influx of failures in EVERY class. Like the level 92 barbarian who had no idea what tiger form was, and was confused when the entire squad decided to kick him from the run we were doing and acted like we were in the wrong.

Nothing beats the barb I had on one Zimo run on my veno. He rushed a group of 3 mobs, 2 were sac assults and the other was an increased magic attack. I think we can all imagine how that ended. The entire party wiped except for a cleric and maybe the wiz, but they were still under fire. So the barb got resed while the mobs were distracted, and he roared(i think) and died again. After we finally killed the mobs, he blamed his deaths on a "glitch". I lold so hard at that.
    Somebody needs to make a thread so we can share all our stories of failure and hiss and spit and laugh at the idiots.

Agreed, I have had too many fail people and fail squads. b:chuckle

-Ling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I hate this. Not that you don't keep aggro, but that the DDs keep taking it.

Join my squad and we play the "steal the aggro" game. It's pretty fun in a good squad.

If you're not joking, that has got to be the most fail of all barbs.

Agreed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Wow. I'm so glad I'm a veno.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    Lenn_ - Sanctuary Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i was doing someone's FB70 the other day.... 85 barb who didnt have true form or any tiger skills because he thought they sucked... my archer ended up tanking polearm >_>; BB + IH = win!
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i was doing someone's FB70 the other day.... 85 barb who didnt have true form or any tiger skills because he thought they sucked... my archer ended up tanking polearm >_>; BB + IH = win!

LoL this reminds me of bh69, when a bm (lv88) wanted a BB. And there were 3 clerics...lol's did i laugh and i didnt stop laughing for 1h.
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    whats wrong with asking for the class that is made for tanking to tank?

think of it this way, if you had one spot left for the squad and you needed a cleric, would you take a wizzy instead?
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options

What's wrong is that people will snub other classes (some that could do a better job than a barb of the BH/FB's level-- like an 85 BM) to wait longer for a barb. Even on magic bosses where it would make sense a robe would tank.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Options

Nothing really, whats wrong is in thinking it's 100% needed when it's not.
  • Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

think of it this way, if you had one spot left for the squad and you needed a cleric, would you take a wizzy instead?

no one is saying its wrong to ask for the tank class, what we are saying is that people are dumb for not accepting help from someone that under certain circumstances can help them.
    for example if you had one spot left and needed cleric for hercule trioc, but came a level 8X wiz, charmed, and offered his selfless help, rejecting this gesture just because dey are not da tanking class is utter foolishness.
    we are asking for people to think. nothing less nothing more.