What happens if Light Armor Cleric wears Heavy Armor?

Options
yethren
yethren Posts: 10 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Cleric
Light armor clerics are supposed to wear light armor, but I found that some heavy armor have higher physical resistance, so why not wear heavy armor if your cleric has the requirements?

What are the disadvantages to wearing heavy armor as a light armor -> 6 mag/2 str/2 dex build cleric?

Thank you.
~Yethren
Post edited by yethren on

Comments

• Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You can't wear heavy armor of your level(you'll always be a ways behind), you'll have even LOWER Mdef, and people will all laugh at you and call you a noob.
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I really don't judge experimental builds, but if you do a HA cleric, you fail. :|
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Kimbley - Harshlands
    Kimbley - Harshlands Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Eh >_< Don't use it exclusively =P If you know you'll be grinding on only phys mobs, then go for it =P But if you're not then, don't embarrass yourself ^_^
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It will be hard to catch up to magic weapon requirements because of the HA armor requirements. Just don't do it.

It may work on venomancers (HA venos w/nix, anyone?) and wizards (still pretty bad), but definitely not clerics.

Your heals will be bad, your magic defense will be bad, your magic attack and nuking will be even more limited.

b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I really don't judge experimental builds, but if you do a HA cleric, you fail. :|

Your sig literally made me lol.
  • yethren
    yethren Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    But I mean, if I have the requirements to wear heavy armor, shouldn't I wear it? lol I won't mess up my build or anything, it'll remain as light armor build..
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    is you extremely poor and can't afford teh decent light armor?
    or
    you happened to find a really really good 3 star lower level requirement HA that gives better stats then your current armor?

those be the only situation where you would willingly wear another class of armor.
    b:chuckle

(when you start getting and wearing TT gear you is going to be armor type "locked" (can still restat and depending on how far your stats be still have some of teh wiggle room.)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimbley - Harshlands
    Kimbley - Harshlands Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    -points to my above post- if you are fighting phys only mobs go ahead =p But if they're mixed mag or pure mag, don't.... ever... wear.... heavy...
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    main reason to not do it even though you can is you then sacrifice the mdef from the LA.
  • Aydamn - Lost City
    Aydamn - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    When I was 5x I wore terrible heavy armour when I was killing physical mobs for quests b:surrender I had too much dex then anyway
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    For the appropriate mobs, yes.

The OP isn't talking making a HA cleric, I think what they mean is, if HA gives better phys defence than the current LA (say, a 3* piece with multiple -req adds), should they try using it.

Obviously not on magic mobs, but it would definitely come in handy on phys mobs and even the odd bit of PvP vs BM's/Barbs. So yeh, go for it imo.
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Your sig literally made me lol.

Futurama. :P
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I dont know why a LA cleric would wear HA really. You'd only be able to wear HA of a much lower level because of your attribute point distribution. So actually there probably wont be a huge difference in phys resistance between LA and the lower level HA (but quite a lot worse mdef).

Only reason i'd maybe swap LA for HA is if you found a HA with some really good bonus stats I guess.
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Sabella - Harshlands
    Sabella - Harshlands Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Two words.....PLUME SHELL....nuff said b:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    HA for clerics is not BAD bad... its just the same as Barbs trying to wear Arcane armour cause they want the mdef.... if you think barb wearing arcane armour to build mdef is a joke... well .. time to rethink cleric HA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Ahira - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Options
    HA for clerics is not BAD bad... its just the same as Barbs trying to wear Arcane armour cause they want the mdef.... if you think barb wearing arcane armour to build mdef is a joke... well .. time to rethink cleric HA

Not sure if you meant full arcane or part, but its not really a good comparison because barbs would suffer alot from restating vit to mag to meet arcane requirement because they get comparatively more HP from vit than clerics.

Vit -> str for clerics can work better because its possible to get quite abit of the lost HP back from wearing a heavy helm/higher return from refines.
    --Retired--

• SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    TT90 Arcane Armor is definitely going to help clerics right? With a huge boost of vit adds from the armor and you can add phys shards to it and refine it?
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    To opening poster: I thought about that too when I decided to go LA build as cleric. If you notice the trends, the highest level HA you can wear at any given level has very similar, usually lower, physical defense than your same level light armor. So in general, there's no benefit.

If you do find an exceptionally great lower level HA that has dramatically better phy def than your high lvl LA, use it at your own discretion. Usually it means that your LA is subpar though, and you should concentrate on upgrading it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Not sure if you meant full arcane or part, but its not really a good comparison because barbs would suffer alot from restating vit to mag to meet arcane requirement because they get comparatively more HP from vit than clerics.

Vit -> str for clerics can work better because its possible to get quite abit of the lost HP back from wearing a heavy helm/higher return from refines.
    and then imagine yourself with mdef as low as a barb, with HP pretty much the same as a good sharded cleric, and weapons that are 20-30lvl below your possible up to date one.........................god thats gotta suck...by the time your 99, the arcane gear catches up. I personally thought of mixing in HA but the character simulation showed it sucked so bad...
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hmmm...what happens...well...they have heavy armor on. Gain some phys res lose mag res.

Helmet i could see........

But if you want the phys res get belt and necklace.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Unless your aiming for being a sitting duck just harder to kill, the simulation turned out you loose out more than you actually gain.
  • Jandira - Sanctuary
    Jandira - Sanctuary Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have a lvl 86 cleric, arcane gear w/ a crit build - no real problems with handling anything as long as I stay smart. (which if you knew me, you'd laugh)

I have a lvl 53 veno that I'm attempting to go LA - omg I am constantly behind somewhere, usually in my weapon as I have to put so many points in strenth and dex (for armor) that I don't have enough for magic. It's completely frustrating to me after my cleric to have a character with what I consider "not up to date" gear. My bf keeps pointing out that eventually it will all work out and I'll be a rockin veno that can handle getting hit.

I just can't comprehend giving up my magic on my cleric for LA gear, even though I have given alot in order to do the crit build, so for me a person playing a cleric that's thinking of going HA... I say wtf?

And then I remember that I'm always telling anyone that has a problem with how someone else plays that each and every person plays a different way and builds their character in a different way so leave them be. But in this case I have to agree with the HA for clerics being fail.

Just my opinion and mine alone. b:surrender b:bye
    edited January 2010
    Options
    put it this way.

If you technically dont care about your dmg output and your heals, then HA is the way to go! [insert business smile]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    put it this way.

If you technically dont care about your dmg output and your heals, then HA is the way to go! [insert business smile]

Yup yup b:pleased
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Now didnt play with stat points and gear so can only make a bold assumption.

But would HA have better p.def (ofc way less m.def) and decent HP ~lv100?
    Said this above, now lets compare it with full vit cleric sharded with p.def.
    Would the attack be the same? If yes, then would HA prove better in some parts, even more wanted then any AA build?

Just curios on this one b:puzzled
    b:dirty
    edited January 2010
    Options

Would the attack be the same? If yes, then would HA prove better in some parts, even more wanted then any AA build?

HA seriously lowers your magic attack and healing power because more points are added to strength rather than magic. Btw did you mean physical attack or magic attack? HA and AA build wouldnt have same magical attack power.
    edited January 2010
    Options

What SaintD said. if you simulate HA on chara calculator you with get about 3k hp extra or so, and about 2k more in pdef. Now... why only such a small diff.? its cause of the weapons we need to hold to do our usual jobs. We need SOME magic. That means even if you go HA, that HA gear is not the most up to date gear you can have if you were say like a BM. Your weapon will ALSO not be up to date as your lvl, and you would have to refine it higher than normal so you dont feel like a say lv8x cleric weilding a lv30 weapon.

If you are lv100 and try HA you will either;
    1-go full out HA up to date with lv and wield a lv20 magic weapon +12, which would probably only be on par with a lv70 weapon.

2-wear HA 20 levels lower to balance out stats to put in more for mag, thus being able to hold at least a REAL lv70 weapon.

3-go full out HA, hold a pole, and forget about heals.

if you go for the lol+12 #1 , youll most likely have the money to go arcane, full mag, lunar gear, pdef shards, anniv.pack gear, refined all to at least +6. and maybe only 1k less hp and pdef than HA. No joke.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Options
    and then imagine yourself with mdef as low as a barb, with HP pretty much the same as a good sharded cleric, and weapons that are 20-30lvl below your possible up to date one.........................god thats gotta suck...by the time your 99, the arcane gear catches up. I personally thought of mixing in HA but the character simulation showed it sucked so bad...
    put it this way.

Not sure which combination of HA/AA you were simulating- but pretty much most of the above should not be true if the build has been sensibly thought out. =___=
    --Retired--

edited January 2010
    Options
    Not sure which combination of HA/AA you were simulating- but pretty much most of the above should not be true if the build has been sensibly thought out. =___=
    read up at the options i gave out first, then post.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Options
    read up at the options i gave out first, then post.

I'd read them before i posted- i quoted what i wanted to respond to. b:beatup
    --Retired--