Doubt about Skill leveling

Caotica - Harshlands
Caotica - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Cleric
Heil everybody.

I have recently started a pure damage priest, by following the Cayeon's guide.

Right now, i am level 12, but i don't know what skills to level first or what skills to have maxed.

The doubt is about Ironheart Blessing and Plume Shell.
The question is: what of such skills must i give points first, this is, with higher preference? Blessing or Plume Shell? And also, as a pure damage cleric, must i max those both skills or just levelup a bit?

In the other hand, about the Vanguard Spirit, may i level it up or just leave alone?

That's all. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Caotica - Harshlands on

Comments

• Newyn - Heavens Tear
    Newyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    To follow Cayeon's FAC (Full attack Cleric) U only take IH (Iron heart) as heal. And max it for ure lvl. IH is btw the best Heal skill in this game so far.

About Plume shell, I dont use it I foun dthat it use way to much MP. I think if u need it u waste MP beter to take fewer mobs and take it slower insted. Or the MP pots is going to get spamed. Try to get P-def (Physical-defence) in ure gear insted.

Vanguard, Magical and Spirits gift u shuld always keep up to lvl or close to it.
    I use Clestial to but only upped that one when I hade the other 3 maxed and extra spirit.
    To Lazy to make 1. b:infuriated
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Vanguard Spirit is a must to level up. It increases physical defense, which clerics need.

Ironheart is also a must. Cayeon's guide says to leave it as 4 or 5 I believe, but I would max it because it's your most common heal skill used. Plume Shell you don't have to worry about until higher levels with PvP and TW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    max p-shell too b:cold
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    About Plume shell, I dont use it I foun dthat it use way to much MP. I think if u need it u waste MP beter to take fewer mobs and take it slower insted. Or the MP pots is going to get spamed. Try to get P-def (Physical-defence) in ure gear insted.

Plume shell shouldn't be used in grinding at all. (unless you accidentaly get like 4 mobs on you, then it might just save your life). It's main use is PvP, or if you happen to pull aggro in a dungeon.
    The mp cost is indeed severe at lower levels, but I'd rather have 0 mp than 0 hp and die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    What now it's on said, you will almost guaranteed lvl plume shell sooner or later. and later works just fine, just kinda lvl it as you have spirit. but I didn't even start using it till I had it lvl since the mp cost is horrendous.

Also just so you know don't be thinking people are going to let you into parties and let you be a DD. indside dungeons or most squads you are a healer unless there is enough other clerics in the squad. If you try to say your dmg based and don't want to heal the squad, don't be surprised if you get booted, and possibly pk'd.

but basically the essential healing side skills to get are, ih (maxed), rev (atleast lvl 1 but try to lvl it, it really doesn't cost that much exp and spirir), purify (gunna need to max it by mid 60-70), and get bb. with those spells you should be able to do all squad based tasks.
  • Caotica - Harshlands
    Caotica - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    About plume shield... well, i got it at level 1, but... never used it. At least, i never need to use it. Just using Tornadom kitting and plume shoot (or whatever it's name), and mobs can't barely hit reach me, or maybe they hit me a single blow if i got some lag or something... I'm 15, and i kill lvl 15+ mobs.

So i don't see the real use of Plume Shield at these levels since the mana drain is quite horrendous, as someone said there, and i don't use it.

Well, i can't talk too much about later levels, but now, that's my oppinion.
    What now it's on said, you will almost guaranteed lvl plume shell sooner or later. and later works just fine, just kinda lvl it as you have spirit. but I didn't even start using it till I had it lvl since the mp cost is horrendous.

Also just so you know don't be thinking people are going to let you into parties and let you be a DD. indside dungeons or most squads you are a healer unless there is enough other clerics in the squad. If you try to say your dmg based and don't want to heal the squad, don't be surprised if you get booted, and possibly pk'd.

but basically the essential healing side skills to get are, ih (maxed), rev (atleast lvl 1 but try to lvl it, it really doesn't cost that much exp and spirir), purify (gunna need to max it by mid 60-70), and get bb. with those spells you should be able to do all squad based tasks.

Why that should happen?
    As i read in the guide, it seems that the Clerics inflinct much more damage than a mage, so, why a party should take a mage but not a pure-damage cleric?

If the cleric do more damage and can serve as a second healer/main healer helper, why not to take it into a party instead a mage?

Or does the mages have the same problem? Because i read on various topics that mages are not the allmighty class in this game, like happens in nearly all other MMORPGs.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i really wish they would delete that so-called "guide"..

Mages deal far more damage than a cleric for the most part.
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I agree with most of what's said above. Ironheart blessing is a MUST to have as it'll be your primary heal. The others aren't as useful and you can leave them be for most part, especially blessing of the purehearted. Max it to your level immediately, because it'll have your life and the lives of many others. Not to mention that most squads expect you to spam it on the tank.

Max out Vanguard spirit too. Clerics don't have particularly high physical defense, so it'll help a lot.

Plume Shell is important, but I would level it sporadically until you need it. Don't put it over your primary skills. It actually saved my life once, when I was being chased by four monsters, one of which was ranged and could slow me down. I used plume shell, which shot my mana down to zero but took out the ranged monster. Made fleeing a whole lot easier. Keep it for pvp, duels and emergencies. You never know when it'll come in handy.
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    As i read in the guide, it seems that the Clerics inflinct much more damage than a mage, so, why a party should take a mage but not a pure-damage cleric?

If the cleric do more damage and can serve as a second healer/main healer helper, why not to take it into a party instead a mage?

Or does the mages have the same problem? Because i read on various topics that mages are not the allmighty class in this game, like happens in nearly all other MMORPGs.

Mages are indeed not an ''almighty'' class here. IMO that's a good thing.
    However, saying clerics outdamage wizards is just wishful thinking if you ask me. I only noticed clerics outdamage wizards by far at lvl20- but those levels shouldn't take longer than a few days.

The main difference between clerics and wizards are the skills. Wizards and clerics have about the same stat build (though clerics seem to add vit more often) and generally wear the same armor and weaponry.

Clerics just have wield thunder, whirlwind and plume shot as nukes and razor feathers and tempest as AoE's.

Wizards have sandstorm, glacial snare, Gush, stone rain, pyrogram and divine pyrogram as nukes and will of the phoenix, blade tempest, black ice dragon strike, mountain's seize and dragon's breath as AoE's. Most of these skills are stronger than those of a cleric.
    And to top it all off, a skill that makes spells channel instantly for 6 seconds.

So basically:

-clerics heal and can do a fair amount of damage.

-Wizards deal great amounts of damage and can heal a bit (essential sutra + Morning dew can even outclass a cleric's heals).

Clerics have a high versatility with being able to do physical nuke damage aswel as magical damage, having the ability to shield themselves and heal themselves/others, but outdamaging wizards of the same level/equips just won't happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    cleric's can do fair amount of dmg
    compare wizzys skills - math dont hurt

ofc wizzy will be better DD but not so much as most ppl think

and also typical wizzy is pure DD while many clers are vit builds with bizarre weapons xP
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    The whole idea about clerics out dmging wizzy's isn't completely wrong, alot depends on your build. which their are alot of wizzy's who will put in vit or go LA for survivability since early lvls are really tough for a wizzy. then there is the fact that they have so many spells, for a cleric it's not too hard to lvl 10 all of your skills, and have your mastery maxed. but for a wizzy they have so many it's hard, and 3 different masteries. I think it's because of this that it came into being that clerics out dmg wizzy's. but by end game there is no way no how. I too really wish they'd delete that guide.

To the OP I think you might want to look into the psychic. They are like the wizzy only better dmg earlier on in the game. And why would a party not take a second cleric over a mage... well largly because mages don't exist in this game (QQ it makes me sad that there is so few). If a party wants a DD they find an archer usually, and I highly doubt a cleric is going to out DD almost any archer.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The whole idea about clerics out dmging wizzy's isn't completely wrong, alot depends on your build. which their are alot of wizzy's who will put in vit or go LA for survivability since early lvls are really tough for a wizzy. then there is the fact that they have so many spells, for a cleric it's not too hard to lvl 10 all of your skills, and have your mastery maxed. but for a wizzy they have so many it's hard, and 3 different masteries. I think it's because of this that it came into being that clerics out dmg wizzy's. but by end game there is no way no how. I too really wish they'd delete that guide.

To the OP I think you might want to look into the psychic. They are like the wizzy only better dmg earlier on in the game. And why would a party not take a second cleric over a mage... well largly because mages don't exist in this game (QQ it makes me sad that there is so few). If a party wants a DD they find an archer usually, and I highly doubt a cleric is going to out DD almost any archer.

I'd personally prefer a wizard over an archer. They both pull aggro but in my experience, archers pull aggro more than wizzies. The only reason why psychics do better damage in the beginning is because they get their legendary weapons earlier (and much easier) compared to wizzies.

I followed that guide and just made it into my own (since the guide tells you not to level this and that, so I did) and I found it giving the solid foundation of a cleric just not adding the "supporting" role of it.

Having no vit at all (which I'm enjoying but regretting a bit), I can outdamage wizzies to a certain degree (mostly LA wizards) but even then, their ults can outdamage me. b:surrender So I agree with getting that part removed from the guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Cleric vs Mage in raw damage goes to mage, no contest.

But when you look a little deeper, it's an interesting story.

Clerics have an AMAZING PVP skill set.

At level 90+, if you went demon, you will be one of the most feared opponents on a battlefield, and in 1 v 1 are almost unstoppable.

EDIT: Also, to chip in to the OP's question:

Level Ironheart ASAP, Plume shell moderately. Shell is really only useful in PvE when either charmed, or you REALLY need to not die, like in TT. If you're rolling FAC, though...

It's a necessity for PvP, even so.

My personal advice is to level all buffs to level 10, skip the AoE versions, get IH to level 10, Shell to level 10, and then focus on attack skills. This gives you nice damage, but you can also function as a main healer when you're needed.

Get blue ball and AoE heal when you decide that you need to start partying -- which you WILL need to do if you hope to get gear without paying a TON.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    skip the AoE versions

Get blue ball and AoE heal when you decide that you need to start partying -- which you WILL need to do if you hope to get gear without paying a TON.

Getting AoE version for buffs is important for squads especially if you're the only cleric as it saves mana rather than buffing everyone.

I don't get what you mean "if you hope to get near without paying a ton?" If you mean getting into squads for a lower price for wine cost in BH or TT, we get second pick besides barbs (as far as I know) and in BH, you still have to pay the full price for wine costs (ex. BH 69).

b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Getting AoE version for buffs is important for squads especially if you're the only cleric as it saves mana rather than buffing everyone.

I don't get what you mean "if you hope to get near without paying a ton?" If you mean getting into squads for a lower price for wine cost in BH or TT, we get second pick besides barbs (as far as I know) and in BH, you still have to pay the full price for wine costs (ex. BH 69).

b:bye

I'm referring to TT gear, specifically TT90 gear and all TT weapons. I don't know how BH ever came into the picture. And yes, farming it is cheaper than buying it.

And the "don't get AoE buffs" was in order to save the spirit for his attack skills since he's trying to be an FAC. I just didn't want the OP to have no buffs and fail miserably at later levels in squads. Having AoE buffs isn't a necessity, even if it is good practice.
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    I'd personally prefer a wizard over an archer. They both pull aggro but in my experience, archers pull aggro more than wizzies. The only reason why psychics do better damage in the beginning is because they get their legendary weapons earlier (and much easier) compared to wizzies.

I too personally prefer wizzies for DDs its just since they are so few, most squads get archers.

and Psy's do better dmg at the beginning not only because of the mold (not saying it doesn't help). but also just because of the difference in the modifiers of attacks, early lvl wizzy's have little to boost the attack. while early lvl psy, soulforce helps out. basically the modifiers for wizzy's work greater exponentially while psy's don't as much.

And get the aoe buffs, for 3 reasons (1) they are cheap, the expensive part is getting main buffs to lvl 10 (2) Saves Time and is easier (3) other clerics in the squad know it's a lvl 10 buff if you use the aoe, and if you don't use aoe buffs squad mates might think your fail.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The full attack cleric in my opinion has a goal to kill before you get hit. Level you attack spell before your defense. Always get the next best weapon. And don't be stingy to spend a few dollar on refining. (not to much at low level.)

I got an alt Cleric Level 25 that can kill level 40 mob alone. When confronting monster my level, if they hit me 1 time there dead before they hit again. I trow some genie attack in there sometimes and monsters don't even touch me at all.

But do not leave your defense skill in the dust. They are very useful to take higher target like lv40 mob. It's also useful when you agroo more then 1 monsters, because of my low HP since I don't put any vit in this alt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Why that should happen?

Did you look at the date of that guide when it was written?It was written when no one really knew how much dmge a Wiz can do if it is big magic dmge you want roll a Wiz.I wouldn't follow that guide to Tee.I would make up your own if it is something you are looking for.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • MissxCleric - Sanctuary
    MissxCleric - Sanctuary Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ironheart Blessing is a good skill to lvl or Blessing of the Purehearted.
    Also, I like to lvl my Plume Shot and Whirlwind.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Don't lvl purehearted keep it at 1 and only use it to build chi.it is Ironheart and wellspring surge.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Pure heart is not good in battle. Only good heal are Ironheart, Sun Beam and BB. Whit those has a full attack you can heal any boss.

Using any other heal skill in battle will result in a team wipe, unless the boss is really lower level.

And using pure heart or stream in battle take so long if your alone, that you have time to die.

Only Wellspring is acceptable but it will not beat Ironheart at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    u arent one of those 'just IH IH IH rest is ****' clerics- do u?

i thought those become extinct few months ago (in DW at least) when thy got 60+ lvl

all heals -except- pure heart shud be maxed and thats all.
    u may skip some at lower lvls but if u NOT gonna be hardcore solo-player then u need all later

• Skybelle - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Pure heart is not good in battle. Only good heal are Ironheart, Sun Beam and BB. Whit those has a full attack you can heal any boss.

Using any other heal skill in battle will result in a team wipe, unless the boss is really lower level.

And using pure heart or stream in battle take so long if your alone, that you have time to die.

Only Wellspring is acceptable but it will not beat Ironheart at all.

Wellspring Surge can actually help in a lot of cases when you're tank is dying and needs a quick heal. Stream of Rejuvenation is the same, it helps in certain cases. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TCHP - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    u arent one of those 'just IH IH IH rest is ****' clerics- do u?

i thought those become extinct few months ago (in DW at least) when thy got 60+ lvl

all heals -except- pure heart shud be maxed and thats all.
    u may skip some at lower lvls but if u NOT gonna be hardcore solo-player then u need all later

No not at all, I'm the Type, IH IH IH, Assist, genie debuff, Ele seal, dim seal, IH IH IH , 2x spark, assist, Thunderball, IH IH IH, start over. So far it's working pretty well. And when DD Hp goes down because of aoe or calamity I trow Sun Beam instead of ThunderBall. Or I do IH purify IH like in fb69 on tank or fb59 at drake. BB is very nice in fb79 when a pull fail. Now I can't say I'm not using the other skill cause it's not true. Well and stream can be a nice help on the tank sometimes. But there not used has often, maybe 2 or 3 time in an fb run.
    I use pure blessing .... like maybe 1 time in the month. And most of the time it's after Barb an BM duel in FB waiting....

If your alone in a team like I am most of the time, I don't see what you can do more.

HH run I like to stun, silence, dim seal Siren and sun beam. It all depend on the team also. I might be just healing. But at the boss same combination. I'm not sure why but cleric stun work better in HH ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    No not at all, I'm the Type, IH IH IH, Assist, genie debuff, Ele seal, dim seal, IH IH IH , 2x spark, assist, Thunderball, IH IH IH, start over. So far it's working pretty well. And when DD Hp goes down because of aoe or calamity I trow Sun Beam instead of ThunderBall. Or I do IH purify IH like in fb69 on tank or fb59 at drake. BB is very nice in fb79 when a pull fail. Now I can't say I'm not using the other skill cause it's not true. Well and stream can be a nice help on the tank sometimes. But there not used has often, maybe 2 or 3 time in an fb run.
    I use pure blessing .... like maybe 1 time in the month. And most of the time it's after Barb an BM duel in FB waiting....

If your alone in a team like I am most of the time, I don't see what you can do more.

HH run I like to stun, silence, dim seal Siren and sun beam. It all depend on the team also. I might be just healing. But at the boss same combination. I'm not sure why but cleric stun work better in HH ?

Two questions...

1. What's "sun beam"? Am I missing something here?
    2. Why Thunderball? Why not Whirlwind or Wield Thunder?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Belkas - Lost City
    Belkas - Lost City Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i Really Wish They Would Delete That So-called "guide"..

Mages Deal Far More Damage Than A Cleric For The Most Part.

+9999999999999999
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Two questions...

1. What's "sun beam"? Am I missing something here?
    2. Why Thunderball? Why not Whirlwind or Wield Thunder?

sun beam is another name for chromatic beam.

why thunderball... honestly have no idea. that is the most worthless skill a cleric has. The only thing I could think of is that it is the cheapest mp/dmg spell. but if your already willing to use chromatic beam I have no idea why you'd be worried about mp usage
  • Gala - Raging Tide
    Gala - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    As a general rule....
    wellspring can save yourself from being killed cause its low HP but then clerics never were tanks.

Ironheart always good to have in PvP(at certain low lvls) and if you have to heal a tank.

plumeshell is a must in my opinion cause it can save you from nasty physical damage.

get ALL buffs - they are ALL usefull.

thunderball isn't entirely **** - if you're in squad and another cleric is healing fine, then you'll want to DD. throwing in a combo of elemental seal->cyclone->wieldthunder->cyclone->thunderball->cyclone and repeat is good for damage. It might have some grinding uses too.

The only skill I don't understand yet is siren's kiss. Sorta pointless in my opinion. Maybe it has some use later on.

btw No cleric is "pure -this-". You gotta be ready for almost any situation be it light tanking, healing, dd, dead squads, AOEing, escaping, or being bait.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    thunderball isn't entirely **** -throwing in a combo of elemental seal->cyclone->wieldthunder->cyclone->thunderball->cyclone and repeat is good for damage.

thunderball is useless, the damage is sucky, and the channeling is suckier. you would deal more damage, in less time if u did elemental seal->cyclone->wieldthunder->cyclone->PLUMESHOT->cyclone

probably even more damage if u switched out Wield Thunder for Plume Shot, as WT has a long channel as well, unless the mob is Wood, then Id stick with Wield Thunder.

as for siren's kiss, it has its uses in pvp in very very dire situations, that random 3 second seal has saved my butt on numerous occasions while im being ganked. + it packs decent damage
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    yeah, sirens kiss is useful. also when aoe grinding it can be useful. as it's fast chan. does hit pretty well for when you need a good attack and only have one spark. also if your running in FF and have 2 clerics, it's a fun attack.

but yeah, it is a pretty for the occasion attack. but so are alot of the skills we have.