Depreciation of Limited Mounts

coldice1000
coldice1000 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
If your a long member of the PWI game, you will notice that all limited mounts whether it be the Battlecat, Hell Hound, Nein Beast, or the Ninetails, will depreciate over the course of a month or two. From 50 gold to about 16 gold. So, I ask you, why should anyone even consider buying these mounts if they will go down so much? I don't know, if you really want the mount, I would suggest waiting a few months until the price really drops. Why should we even pay so much for a mount when the lobster mount which is worth under 3 mil, is just as fast. I think PWI should lower their mount and wing prices significantly for the new stuff. Take a look at the Serpent mount which probably got PWI less profit than any other limited edition mount due to the high price. I say, cheaper mounts and wings will cause more people to buy it, so more profit.b:thanks
Post edited by coldice1000 on

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If your a long member of the PWI game, you will notice that all limited mounts whether it be the Battlecat, Hell Hound, Nein Beast, or the Ninetails, will depreciate over the course of a month or two. From 50 gold to about 16 gold. So, I ask you, why should anyone even consider buying these mounts if they will go down so much? I don't know, if you really want the mount, I would suggest waiting a few months until the price really drops. Why should we even pay so much for a mount when the lobster mount which is worth under 3 mil, is just as fast. I think PWI should lower their mount and wing prices significantly for the new stuff. Take a look at the Serpent mount which probably got PWI less profit than any other limited edition mount due to the high price. I say, cheaper mounts and wings will cause more people to buy it, so more profit.b:thanks

Mounts depreciate in value much the same way a brand new car loses some of it's value the second you drive it off the lot. Over time that value in most cases continues to decline until an equilibrium point is met that is concurrent with want/need/value to other players.

Even Uber Rare mounts lose value after a while as other more potentially nice looking mounts enter the game.

~Saitada
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Mounts depreciate in value much the same way a brand new car loses some of it's value the second you drive it off the lot. Over time that value in most cases continues to decline until an equilibrium point is met that is concurrent with want/need/value to other players.

Even Uber Rare mounts lose value after a while as other more potentially nice looking mounts enter the game.

~Saitada

This.

b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    stay here playing long enough, and you will see the fastest mount/areogear trumped about every month. i remember when there was only about 3 flying swords for sale (nothing out as prizes then, of any sort) and my son drooling over the red and black flaming one. or when the blue eagle was the fastest thing out there....you'll go broke, trying to keep up with the Joneses.

its better to find something you like, and stick with it. i have my blue eagle, and my white horse, and i love them both. i would get a gryphon, if they ever fix the wings, and make it stop looking like a plane with burning wings, but like that is ever going to happen....bleah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • coldice1000
    coldice1000 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I agree with FoxRunning, that people will go broke as new mounts continue to get released. That's why I think PWI would be more fun if all mounts were permanent. This way, over time you can get to pick a mount that's right for you, rather than buying something for so much, and later on you find yourself wanting something else. I think PWI should allow us more time (permanent) to pick and choose how we'd like to ride.b:thanks
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010

~Saitada

Agreed. b:surrender
    Besides, every game has their limited edition stuff from the cash shop so let's just say PWI has them too?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    First off, i personally think that some prices of mounts are really insanely high for what it really is : a way to get from point A to point B.

The only reason i bought a simple polar (5G) was to move a bit faster on my very slowpoke cleric in towns and doing WQ.

for the rest, i don't see any need (for me at least) to pay through the nose for something that goes a bit faster. You spend time enough idling ingame anyways...1 or 2m/sec doesn't really make that much of a difference.

As for the design of some mounts: rediculous. (but to each its own taste)

As for the decreasing value : that's normal.

As for the continuous new mounts/wings pwi brings out : they wanna make cash, which is normal as well, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

As for their "income" : who cares wether they make loads of profit on something they bring out or not ? It's their company, and i don't really see the point in making a discussion on how they manage their income.

But i do think they should fire some peeps in their marketing division, or whoever sets the pricing of cs items. Like i'm EVER gonna pay 75G for something i will NEVER be able to use (yeh, the famous +10 refine ****), or something i will NEVER pay 50G for, especially when it's ugly.
  • lvl100ea
    lvl100ea Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    As long as they don't put anniversary mounts in the cashshhop or have any other way to get them, I'm happy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Murloc/ - Heavens Tear61
    Murloc/ - Heavens Tear61 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I bought the Chieftens Battlecat the day it came out. Why? Because I've always looked at Ecatomb, and when i saw that mount, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. I absoloutly love it. It's about the only limited edition anything that I've bothered with, and from what I can see, it's the only "limited" thing I ever will bother with getting in a hurry.

Aside from that my other splurges include:
    Virtuous Truth Tideborn Wings
    220 Widgets to upgrade them to 3.0 asap
    1st and 2nd Spurs for a Crimson Leaper Horse
    Hellfire Drake Untamed Flyer

BTW - I haven't charged any zen to get any of these things. I just save coin for when a sale goes on. ^.^
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    PWI is a free to play game... dunno why everyone cries about prices of cash shop stuff. This is a really great game compared to the other F2P games I've played, and it beats paying a monthly bill...

I agree 50 gold is ridiculous for anything - but some people can easily afford it, everyone else will just have to deal and try to enjoy this great, free game.

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _azure_ - Sanctuary
    _azure_ - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    In terms of limited addition mounts, there was a time when mounts such as the black raptor, bad panda and 9tails was really limited addition and very hard to get. To my knowledge there were maybe 1 or 2 black raptors, 2-3 bad panda's and just as many 9tails in the same category on the sanctuary server.

Nowadays there's an over abundance of Panda's and 9tails about that I believe they have lost the value of really being limited edition mounts anymore. On the other hand, say you buy a Hellhound from the boutique, (when you could) who on earth is going to want a HellHound now when there is or was a anniversary dark Hellhound mount covered in flames for those who had been on the game since it was released a year ago?

The point of the darkflame Hellhound was to reward players who had been playing this game near enough since it's release date well over a year ago, ie the anniversary mount. However with Dev's just throwing literally anything into the boutique to interest us into parting with our hard earned cash, such as putting in the anni packs, taking them out and in 3-5times. I wouldn't be surprised if the darkflame Hellhound eventually hits the boutique as well.

Now don't get me wrong on one hand I wouldn't mind a darkflame Hellhound for a new mount but at the sametime them putting that mount into the boutique would be a slap in the face of every person who earned that mount for playing longer then other players, alas it can happen, they did the same with the DQ mounts which countless players worked tirelessly towards to aquire.

TBH I'd rather have the gold lion in the boutique to buy as that would be a mount I'd definetly want 1st, with the darkflame Hellhound a very close 2nd. But if those mounts were to come into the online shop with the same outrageous price as the tidal serpant came has, I'd be dissapointed at the dev's selling us things at such stupid prices. End of the day having such mounts comes down to vanity of actually having or how badly u'd want it.
  • yesme
    yesme Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Agreed. b:surrender
    Besides, every game has their limited edition stuff from the cash shop so let's just say PWI has them too?

skybelle your char pic look like that whacko girl from harry potter that walk around with no shoes lol but she cute b:chuckle b:bye
    its a free game b:pleased
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I didn't like any of the poll options. Putting cheaper mounts in to stabalize their price won't happen. We saw this with the panther and the polar bear. They lowered the price by 5gold and the price has only went up. When I first started playing this game (dec 08) I could buy a panther in game fully spurred up to 11 m/s for like 1.4 mil. That won't even buy the slow one now I don't think.

Its not the price they put them for, its the prices people want to sell them for. I bought the spectral haze wings for my tideborn, in game. I spent 450k per gold. When I wanted to sell them, I asked for the price @350k per gold and the person actually blacklisted me. Yelling at me how things aren't worth in game what they are in the boutique. Give me a break these just came out not even a month ago and I can't even sell them for 3/4 what I paid for them?

People want something for nothing in this game. And for some reason everything I'm selling is always worth less than what the gold price is.. considerably less. But if I'm buying it, its always worth more? Something just not right.

tl:dr The in game economy is ****, the price of gold is ****, and some of the prices of mounts etc is ****. Game is fun to play.
  • Downloadzfox - Heavens Tear
    Downloadzfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i would go with cheaper limited mounts and more permanent ones
  • timmyg4
    timmyg4 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Totally off topic. But did the Untamed miss out on a 3.2 flyer in the boutique like all the other races get?b:sad
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    - The price of everything depreciates over time. This includes that uber rare mount you just bought on the game, that brand new spanking 1200x1920 monitor, and just about every other possible thing you can buy that has some relative value. Nothing like chocolate bars or candy.

- If they release new mounts, they can charge a high price for them. "New mount syndrome" is something that many suffer from - especially if they feel the mount looks pretty enough. This is the same with fashion as well. Today, Thunder coats may cost 3 million for a good looking one. Tomorrow? One million.

- If you want something that badly, save up. It's easily possible. If you don't want to pay IRL money for it, don't, pay in-game coin. If you don't want the mount... why do you even care about it's price?

The fact of the matter is, if you think $70 is overpriced for the Tidal Serpent (which I hated that mount anyway and the only serpentine mount I like is the Ancient Boa) then don't buy it.

Similarly, if you like a mount, save up to get it. I originally paid 11 million for a Midnight mount, back when they were being won from the Jolly Jones Halloween event. Bargain price, at the time, the others were all 14 million or above.

I have always wanted an Ancient Boa. Despite how the snake looks constantly depressed if you view it from either side angle, I loved that snake. I just didn't have the will to buy one at the time I bought Midnight.

Now Midnight is only worth 12 million at most. I tried to sell the horse, and didn't manage it, so decided to cut my losses and just trade for a Boa. Now on DW, the Ancient Boa is about 10 million, tops. Technically I lost money.

But I am happy with my Boa mount. I use it, unlike the Midnight one which I kept on my main who uses a Black Raptor, I enjoy using it, I still think it looks pretty. I don't care that I lost money, because I'm happy with my purchase.

Tl;Dr - if you're happy with it, why does it matter the cost? If you really wanted it, you'd work to get it, then be happy you got it. If you wanted it and could get it anyway, you would. See my point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Clayne - Lost City
    Clayne - Lost City Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2010

~Saitada

nicely said b:cuteb:cute

its better to find something you like, and stick with it.
    agree b:victoryb:victory
  • Selador - Heavens Tear
    Selador - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    PWI is a free to play game... dunno why everyone cries about prices of cash shop stuff. This is a really great game compared to the other F2P games I've played, and it beats paying a monthly bill...

I agree 50 gold is ridiculous for anything - but some people can easily afford it, everyone else will just have to deal and try to enjoy this great, free game.

b:victory Agreed.
  • Biafra - Heavens Tear
    Biafra - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I bought the Chieftens Battlecat the day it came out. Why? Because I've always looked at Ecatomb, and when i saw that mount, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. I absoloutly love it. It's about the only limited edition anything that I've bothered with, and from what I can see, it's the only "limited" thing I ever will bother with getting in a hurry.

Aside from that my other splurges include:
    Virtuous Truth Tideborn Wings
    220 Widgets to upgrade them to 3.0 asap
    1st and 2nd Spurs for a Crimson Leaper Horse
    Hellfire Drake Untamed Flyer

BTW - I haven't charged any zen to get any of these things. I just save coin for when a sale goes on. ^.^

man i was going to get that mount too but due to certain reasons i was unable to obtain it :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"For on its wing was dark alloy
    And as it fluttered--fell
    An essence--powerful to destroy
    A soul that knew it well."

Edgar Allen Poe "The Happiest Day"
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The rarer the item the more it is worth. If PWI decreased the value of mounts they wouldn't be as rare and less people would want them. By having limitied time sales they make people want to get those mounts while they can. By putting it into botique forever, less people would buy them in the same amount of time. The value of the mounts would also decrease, as would their rarity value. While that may be good for us, it wouldn't be as good for PWI.

PS:I might not be making a lot of sense right now. My minds all fuzzled. Ill edit this later when I can think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks