Clarifying PvP

Sabichi - Sanctuary
Sabichi - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
Hey Everyone,
I'm newer to PWI and picked a server (Harshlands) without knowing the PvP rules. I have pretty much 1 of every char type up to level 20, the highest are level a 26 cleric and veno. I also got my wife to start playing and she's level 20. I'm not a PvP, really, the rare occasion being with a friend when we're bored of questing, and that's called dueling in this game. She definitely won't be, but she's not really a gamer either and I'd hate to ask her to start over in a new server, so a few pk questions.

What does PvE stand for (player vs environment? player vs. everyone?)
If you're "white" and get pk'd, can you lose stuff?
Can you turn off pvp mode or go into a safe mode?
In a PvE server can you duel or turn on pk mode?
Do you only drop inventory, equiped gear, or either?
Do item prices (coins) change between servers much?
Anyone got a good sticky on pvp rules?

...oh! and when picking a server they say 96 ms or something. Is higher or lower number better?

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by Sabichi - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I think it's Player vs. Environment since you're just facing the monsters (unless you go on PVP mode).

- Chances are pretty low when you're a white-named player.
    - I think safety lock (don't take my word on this) will prevent you from dropping items, but not being PKed.
    - Yes, in a PVE server, you can still do duels and do on PvP mode.
    - You have a chance of dropping both inventory and equipped items.
    - Item prices doesn't really change that much from server to server. (again, I'm not sure about this)
    - Try checking the PvP Ponderings Forum.

Hope this answers your questions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    See link for PWI official information.

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/guide/pvp
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited December 2009

...oh! and when picking a server they say 96 ms or something. Is higher or lower number better?

Thanks for any help!

The lower the better. b:victory
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • Sabichi - Sanctuary
    Sabichi - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Awesome, thanks guys. Skybelle, NoNameWiz, see you in Sanctuary. That link was a good one, Tatuaje. Thanks b:bye
  • Bunella - Harshlands
    Bunella - Harshlands Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm newer to PWI and picked a server (Harshlands) without knowing the PvP rules. I have pretty much 1 of every char type up to level 20, the highest are level a 26 cleric and veno. I also got my wife to start playing and she's level 20. I'm not a PvP, really, the rare occasion being with a friend when we're bored of questing, and that's called dueling in this game. She definitely won't be, but she's not really a gamer either and I'd hate to ask her to start over in a new server, so a few pk questions.

If you're "white" and get pk'd, can you lose stuff?
    Can you turn off pvp mode or go into a safe mode?
    In a PvE server can you duel or turn on pk mode?
    Do you only drop inventory, equiped gear, or either?
    Do item prices (coins) change between servers much?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Sabichi,
    I was new to this type of game also, and picked harshlands not knowing what in the world pvp was. There was so many new words, who knew? Dueling and player killing is two very different things. You have the "choice" to duel, no choice about getting PK'd.
    I really suggest you get your wife started on a pve server, lvl 20 is still a really low level and not hard to reach again. I can almost guarantee she will stop playing the game after she hits lvl 30. Her name will go white and shes fair game for anyone to kill. A lot of people sit in wait at the lvl 30 areas and kill everyone, over and over and over and.... you get the point lol. They tell you once you get past your 30's its easier, which is true for a few lvls, then you have to go to the swamps and its a pk fest all over again.
    I didn't want to change servers when I found out what was going to happen, but I am more persistent than I am smart, I get killed a bunch, then go somewhere else for a while. But, I truly think you wife would enjoy the game so much more if she could do quests in peace and not watching over her shoulder constantly.b:shocked
    I hope you guys enjoy this game as much as I (even with all the death b:laugh)
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i second this- i came to PWI from WonderlandOnline, and had never heard of PvP/PVE, and just signed up on Lost City, since it was on the top of the list last year. once i hit lv30, i was totally miserable, especially since RageQuit had KOS out on all venos and clerics at the time. i couldnt get anything done, and finally fled, leaving everything behind, including newly bought mounts, clothes and all. i came to HeavensTear and will never go to a PVP game again....killing others is not my idea of fun, especially in this beautiful gameworld.
    Hi Sabichi,
    I was new to this type of game also, and picked harshlands not knowing what in the world pvp was. There was so many new words, who knew? Dueling and player killing is two very different things. You have the "choice" to duel, no choice about getting PK'd.
    I really suggest you get your wife started on a pve server, lvl 20 is still a really low level and not hard to reach again. I can almost guarantee she will stop playing the game after she hits lvl 30. Her name will go white and shes fair game for anyone to kill. A lot of people sit in wait at the lvl 30 areas and kill everyone, over and over and over and.... you get the point lol. They tell you once you get past your 30's its easier, which is true for a few lvls, then you have to go to the swamps and its a pk fest all over again.
    I didn't want to change servers when I found out what was going to happen, but I am more persistent than I am smart, I get killed a bunch, then go somewhere else for a while. But, I truly think you wife would enjoy the game so much more if she could do quests in peace and not watching over her shoulder constantly.b:shocked
    I hope you guys enjoy this game as much as I (even with all the death b:laugh)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If you're "white" and get pk'd, can you lose stuff? Yes, but its a 1% chance to lose things in your inventory, and impossible to drop things you have equipped
    Can you turn off pvp mode or go into a safe mode? In pvp servers, you cant turn it off, but there are safe "zones" which are basically the cities and towns. Inside a "safe zone" you cannot be pked, but you can duel.
    In a PvE server can you duel or turn on pk mode? Yes to both. If you turn on PK mode in a PVE server you have to stay in it for 10hrs
    Do you only drop inventory, equiped gear, or either? Depends on your "infamous level". If you kill someone, you become "infamous" The more infamous you become the redder your name becomes. If youre a red name you have a high chance of dropping everything. At lower levels of infamy you can only drop inventory but later on you can drop equipeed gear. There is an item in PW called "guardian scrolls" which make you drop nothing when you die. You can also "bind" equipment which means you cant sell, trade, drop, discard, decompose or anything. But you can "destroy" it at a special NPC. And lastly theres a thing called safety lock which you can turn on. Every time you log on safety lock will be turned on for a set amount of time (you choose) during safety lock you cant drop, sell, trade anything.
    Do item prices (coins) change between servers much? THey only change between PVE and PVP servers. EG price for a "guardian scroll" could be 300k on sanctuary, 310k on heavens tear, but on lost city they could be 400k

...oh! and when picking a server they say 96 ms or something. Is higher or lower number better? This is ping. A lower number is better. (Ping is the delay between the server and your computer, so its better to have a lower delay between when you press the button and when you cast the skill). Theres nothing you can really do to change your ping, other than stopping downloads or moving house closer to the server :P

Answers are in green.

And just a thing for you to know, that whole thing of people killing level 30s is totally overrated. I have a 34 wizard on lost city server and as long as you quest away from towns you will be fine. (There are lots of fights between rival guilds just outside the safe zones of towns. A lot of the time you will get killed in those fights if you quest near there). Basically, if someone sees you, they wont automatically charge up to you and kill you.

I guess its your "idea of fun" as FoxRunning said. During high levels people get bored of the usual questing, grinding so they turn on PK mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Partyanimal - Raging Tide
    Partyanimal - Raging Tide Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Trust me, go PvE server and avoid makeing a future thread like this
  • Hash_Brownie - Lost City
    Hash_Brownie - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hey Everyone,

What does PvE stand for (player vs environment? player vs. everyone?)Player Vs. Environment is what PvE stands for.
    If you're "white" and get pk'd, can you lose stuff?No, Unless you take off safety lock then you have a 1% chance to lose something
    Can you turn off pvp mode or go into a safe mode?No, Once you hit lvl 30 you can get pked by anyone, leaving safe zone means you can get pked so if you were doing a quest and u were lvl 30+ if a lvl 70 wanted to pk you he could
    In a PvE server can you duel or turn on pk mode?I don't know never played on a PvE server
    Do you only drop inventory, equiped gear, or either?If you r white named and you have safety lock off u have a chance to lose stuff, If you r infamous "red named or even pink for attacking someone" you can lose stuff
    Do item prices (coins) change between servers much?I wouldn't know
    Anyone got a good sticky on pvp rules?Don't pk at lvl 30

...oh! and when picking a server they say 96 ms or something. Is higher or lower number better?lower the better

Thanks for any help!
    Zomg I deleted it the first time and had to retype it.QQ
    QQ I'm lvl 8 you fookers
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Trust me, go PvE server and avoid makeing a future thread like this

Going to a PvE server isn't going to stop you from dropping things. No matter what, you have a chance to drop inventory items if you die.

Go PvP server, because by the time you're high 9x, there isn't a whole lot more to do than PvP.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Ayekim - Harshlands
    Ayekim - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hey Everyone,

What does PvE stand for (player vs environment? player vs. everyone?) Player Vs. Environment
    If you're "white" and get pk'd, can you lose stuff? On a PVP server, YES. It is possible to lose up to 20 in a stack of items. When "Pure White" (didn't fight back... just sat there and died) your chance of dropping a SINGLE item is low! almost 1% If you fight back... the chance is around 3%... Don't be mistaken though. I've had a newbie white name fight back to defend his wife's honor. He dropped me a Platinum Guardian Charm (worth 6 gold in the cash shop)
    Can you turn off pvp mode or go into a safe mode? On the PVP server, No. On a PVE server, you can Switch back and forth between PVP to PVE dependent on how nice you have been... and the 10 hour time-lock of being in PVP "mode" before you can switch back.
    In a PvE server can you duel or turn on pk mode? Yes, on both. refer to previous answer for info on the PVE server.
    Do you only drop inventory, equiped gear, or either? That is dependent on the color of your name. If you are "Pure White" or "White but fought back (purpleish)" You only have a chance of losing an item in your inventory. If you kill another player that has a "pure white" name... you attain "Red Hours" Each "PURE White Name" you kill gives you 2 hours of "Red". You can obtain a maximum of 200 Hours of red. When you have a red name, your chance of dropping an item from your inventory is increased to about 50% and your chance of dropping an equipped item goes up to about 20%. The more red hours you have, the higher the chances are of dropping an item from either your inventory or your equipped items. 3 ways of preventing drops are "binding" an item. Making the item just yours, and can not be traded or sold. You could Use your "Safe Lock" which prevents you from using your character to it's fullest until the lock is released. Finally using "Guardian Scrolls" which can be purchased from the cash shop... Each death uses up a guardian scroll but prevents dropping any items.
    Do item prices (coins) change between servers much? Each server varies by about 50k coins dependent on the amount of people on each server. (basicly more people that use cash shop on a server... have cheaper gold)
    Anyone got a good sticky on pvp rules? i dont, but good luck!

...oh! and when picking a server they say 96 ms or something. Is higher or lower number better? 96 is pro! Lower the number, the better the response rate from the server will be!

Thanks for any help!

Have fun! Stay on Harshlands... when you and your wife get up to level... ill show u how PVP works ^.^