Assassins require the most skill of any class to play well?

Options
HollowMartyr - Raging Tide
HollowMartyr - Raging Tide Posts: 69 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Assassin
I find that more then any other class I've played to a decent level, Assassins require extreme diligence, multitasking and good timing to do well in PVE, at least. I've had times where I survive crazy scenarios when I have amazing timing and choose the perfect skills to use every attack...and I've had times where I slip and get killed in extremely silly ways XD Most squishy classes I've tried have a pretty basic setup for survival...Usually an exact combo that can be spammed over and over but we have to choose our skills very carefully for different mobs because we're so quick to kill... and to die XD One mistake can ruin us sometimes.

I love having a class so player skill based...It'll separate the good Assassins from the bad really quickly :D I still feel like a newbie to the class because there's so much to master and learn about it. ^.^ and here I thought I'd be maining a caster class like Psychic again after I left my old server heh.

Thoughts and opinions?
Post edited by HollowMartyr - Raging Tide on

Comments

• threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What other classes have you played? lol
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    try leveling a 0 vit bm sometimeb:chuckle
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Morty - Raging Tide
    Morty - Raging Tide Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    try leveling a 0 vit bm sometimeb:chuckle

Blademasters are the most simple class to play.
    Is Now On Lost City Under The Name; Mortyy
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

nope skill to play greatest required to least is as follows

all weapon bm
    cleric
    wizzie
    archer
    barb
    assasin
    vit axe bm
    psycic
    venomancer
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • kopetofu
    kopetofu Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    nope skill to play greatest required to least is as follows

all weapon bm
    cleric
    wizzie
    archer
    barb
    assasin
    vit axe bm
    psycic
    venomancer

im sry but thats a matter of preference and the players own skill and playing style
  • HollowMartyr - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Backing up your opinions with some kinda evidence would be helpful XD
    Though I suppose "I like this idea because I can" works too...Just not very helpful in a discussion haha
  • deathsremnant
    deathsremnant Posts: 7
    edited December 2009
    Options
    early level sins are pretty tough, since u have like 0 vit (since pure dex sins/archers hit their full potential late game) and u have no + def skills (like BMs get) and the fact dodge in general fails in pve (u can have the ultimate dodge rate and mobs somehow pull insane accuracy out of their bum and still smack u 9/10 times lol

dmg wise though i found sins pretty fair u can 3 shot most mobs, but yes very very squishy and unlike sins counter part the archer u cant kill things before they get to u XD

but i can already tell sins will be very annoying pvp wise late game (other then a small skill delay animations and hide sucking up too much mp that is) itll be like a annoying dodgy archer without a dead zone lol

any BM class i would put as the 2nd most skilled class they are pretty squishy with low dmg and high mp atks at lower lvls which puts off a lot of players not realizing they become epic late game

Barbs/venos i find to be the easiest to play (most survivable classes) with clerics/psys coming in at 2nd easiest
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I find that more then any other class I've played to a decent level, Assassins require extreme diligence, multitasking and good timing to do well in PVE, at least. I've had times where I survive crazy scenarios when I have amazing timing and choose the perfect skills to use every attack...and I've had times where I slip and get killed in extremely silly ways XD Most squishy classes I've tried have a pretty basic setup for survival...Usually an exact combo that can be spammed over and over but we have to choose our skills very carefully for different mobs because we're so quick to kill... and to die XD One mistake can ruin us sometimes.

I love having a class so player skill based...It'll separate the good Assassins from the bad really quickly :D I still feel like a newbie to the class because there's so much to master and learn about it. ^.^ and here I thought I'd be maining a caster class like Psychic again after I left my old server heh.

Thoughts and opinions?
    PvE ftl.b:bye
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Unfortunately, for PvE assassins may require some skill to figure out the good combos for cheap and effective grinding, for PvP it does seem like it will be some degree of no-brainers.

For them, they have only so much status causing skills, which have very long CDs. Meaning one use per combo of killing, so it won't really need much thinking for it. They build their attack self-buffs in the beginning, use slept time to do any sparking/prep work, and then unleash after doing their long term stun to get the damage in.

Mostly, look at the skills that prevent target from taking action. Look at their short durations and use the longer duration self-buffs first so that they don't wear off during the true spike. The long duration stun gets used for final spike chain that should have the most boosts all together.

Some thought will be needed for maximizing CD vs. Effects vs. cast/channel time. But chances are, most of the players will be relying on someone else to figure them out and post them. It's mostly the short duration of debuffs, and CD times that makes it seem like they jump in, beat the heck out of the target, then run off if it fails while waiting for the CDs to finish. If they don't maximize their skill effects, they won't succeed as often as they should.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    early levels used to suck even more because all these mobs were aggressive (like the werewolves)
    i think they were like that to encourage forming squads and working with other people, because that was incredibly tedious for some classes (like say wiz)
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Sneakret - Heavens Tear
    Sneakret - Heavens Tear Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thought I'd be an **** and place one in for ya to think about or make counters for. For this particular method having a spark block or anti stun is the key to surviving should the sin attack you without stealth (duel scenario)

(The much QQ'd stun and run technique for most assassin types)

59port/stun 0 dmg, 3 sec stun -

bleed, base +x amt -

sleep, small dmg, will take effect as stun is waring off -

gain 155 chi(lvl59) -

strike with 150chi gain skill, reasonable dmg and chi gain, (at this pt you have full chi again) -

apply 2 spark stun 3.2 sec -

re-bleed -

normal atk or slipstream to finish off, (for a cleric i prefer slip to out DD the IH heal, for others normal attacks work fine)

Lots of ways to go around this type of thing but it's just one that I find to fit the stereotype method. Effect will vary on the opponents genie skills, pots and whether or not you've caught them off guard and made the player too confounded to think quickly/calmly and react.

(Edit: woops forgot the test data) This is what I used on an 80 cleric and an 80 veno for .... test purposes. Both are robes, the cleric heal needs to be out DD'd provide they heal first, the veno pet is an issue and should be dealt with by type immediately.

ex: mele pet - as they are casting pet will run to you, let it get out just a bit, then port and start to get in skill w/o interrupt.

ex: nix.... well you're probably boned, get out of the cast range by running or something or sleep that damn bird, then drop the veno preferably before the KFC meal can make it to you and drop you with it's bleed which is similar to your karma reaming you back.
    I can see what you see not,
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be,
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  • storehammy
    storehammy Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PvE.....needs.....skills?
    pffft
    ya right lol...human created AIs be so mindless.....
    also assassins be a frigging easy class to play lols.....(squishiness is not a synonym for required skill level.....)
    b:chuckle

good combos for cheap and effective grinding.....that be what all classes have to figure out.......well mayhaps except venos lol....park yourself in the middle of a dense mob spawn area with plenty of MP pots, set bramble, and heal away.
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    b:shocked
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    A clone of MagicHamsta... wow. He's original but you're not.

Me are hibernating. *poof*
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

lol. In what way are blademasters the simplest to play?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't know about any of you, but my Assassin gets hit maybe 60-70% of the time. That's pretty good for a melee class, if you ask me. Although, when I do get hit, it's like a brick against a window.
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PVE can be very challenging for some classes...PVE is also dungeoning and partying and I'm sure we've all seen how badly that can go wrong >.> If people can fail that bad at partys...It clearly requires some kind of skill XD
  • Phoenix - Dreamweaver
    Phoenix - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lol. In what way are blademasters the simplest to play?

Blademasters are only simple to play if you play them wrong. And never PVP. I will say that Fist BMs are the simplest to play PVE, though...open with kick of choice, beat **** to death.
  • Daizengar - Sanctuary
    Daizengar - Sanctuary Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Knowing which marrows to use, timing stuns, effectively switching weapons(especially if you use 4) during fights is simple to you?

As Phoenix said, BMs are only simple if you're playing them wrong.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    storehammy wrote: »
    PvE.....needs.....skills?
    pffft
    ya right lol...human created AIs be so mindless.....
    also assassins be a frigging easy class to play lols.....(squishiness is not a synonym for required skill level.....)

good combos for cheap and effective grinding.....that be what all classes have to figure out.......well mayhaps except venos lol....park yourself in the middle of a dense mob spawn area with plenty of MP pots, set bramble, and heal away.

b:beatenup what the hell happened to your wiz? why aren't you posting under the wiz's avatar?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    b:beatenup what the hell happened to your wiz? why aren't you posting under the wiz's avatar?

From what I can tell, he ended up on the wrong end of a ban hammer.
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PvE ftl.b:bye

i actually regret not going to a pvp server. but its far to late to go to lost city now cuz well i already invested some money into my sin and got him to far. i dont feel like doing it all over againb:cry

so i guess ill just turn PK mode on when i turn like lvl 60 and hope there is ppl around to start abusing and killing that are my lvlb:surrender
  • IKeeeIU - Dreamweaver
    IKeeeIU - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    2 words: Life Powder

If you constantly have life powder going, playing the sin becomes MUCH easier.

On a side note, I also regret not rolling on a PvP server, but too much time/money invested now on DW between my 8 characters (yes, 8...one of each class, lvls 6-79).

~EDIT~

Hmm...my avatar didn't show up...odd.

Also, can u define "decent level"? You're only in ur 30s Personally, i view myself as a decent level when i get a character up to 60+ (3 of them now, and 1 not too far :))
  • DayzFade - Heavens Tear
    DayzFade - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I define "decent" level as wherever the majority of players is currently bulked up at.

On Heavens Tear I'd say it's about 70 where the masses have accrued themselves.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    All the classes around 15-35ish...I obviously don't think I have the experience to judge this 100% for myself thus why I brought the idea up here to see if more people agree with me...No need to try to put me down lmao. "Decent" is far from "Experienced" But it's better then newbie XD

(That's why the title is a question and not a statement ;))
  • rikako
    rikako Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    headhunt on lvl 4 already one shots most ppl & mobs b:chuckle
  • Murloc/ - Heavens Tear24
    Murloc/ - Heavens Tear24 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree with the OP. The assassin requires skill and timing to play effectivly. (or like any other class, the best gear you can possibly get to smash through things)

Many skills can either save you or sink you, and for the first time since starting PW I find that it actuially matter when a mob interupts a skill instead of me just spamming my normal rotation.

I've played:

Axe BM (Vit Based, and Str based.)
    Fist BM (Vit Based, Str Based, and Dex based)
    Axe / Fist BM (0 Vit build, insane damage, 2nd hardest class to play imo)
    Sword BM
    Veno (Arcane Build, LA Build, and HA build)
    Wizzy (Random Hybrid, found the class too easy to play)
    Cleric (Arcane Build, LA Build. Fairly fun to play)
    Archer
    Assassin (1 Str, 4 Dex build)

Only classes I haven't played are Barbs (I hate tanking, WoW taught me that), and Psychics, because they just seem too Wizzy like, and from what I've seen, Assassin is by far the most in depth fun class to play, though they don't have much flexability for build variations sicne anything but a 1 str 4 dex build would kill the dmg output.
  • DayzFade - Heavens Tear
    DayzFade - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    anything but a 1 str 4 dex build would kill the dmg output.

eh swappin a bit really doesn't gank ya so bad, I just finished my set vit cap of 50 at lvl 62 doin' 1 1 3 and managed to take out an 84 archer by just keeping my skills in good order.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree with the OP. The assassin requires skill and timing to play effectivly. (or like any other class, the best gear you can possibly get to smash through things)

Many skills can either save you or sink you, and for the first time since starting PW I find that it actuially matter when a mob interupts a skill instead of me just spamming my normal rotation.

I've played:

Axe BM (Vit Based, and Str based.)
    Fist BM (Vit Based, Str Based, and Dex based)
    Axe / Fist BM (0 Vit build, insane damage, 2nd hardest class to play imo)
    Sword BM
    Veno (Arcane Build, LA Build, and HA build)
    Wizzy (Random Hybrid, found the class too easy to play)
    Cleric (Arcane Build, LA Build. Fairly fun to play)
    Archer
    Assassin (1 Str, 4 Dex build)

Only classes I haven't played are Barbs (I hate tanking, WoW taught me that), and Psychics, because they just seem too Wizzy like, and from what I've seen, Assassin is by far the most in depth fun class to play, though they don't have much flexability for build variations sicne anything but a 1 str 4 dex build would kill the dmg output.

It's the only class I've played so far that I haven't gotten bored of at all yet :D and I'm never a DD in MMO's...I'm usually the healer but geez Assassins just feel great in this game and I always have some skill to look forward to (Mmm Blood Paint XD).
  • Sharian - Raging Tide
    Sharian - Raging Tide Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The only problem that i have seen is about spirit gauge. After that Assassin is like my right hand now :D
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I dunno I can macro most mobs at on a level 29 assassin but then again only got to 29 and its still really simple.

=_= although I beg to differ venos are not the easiest class to play.......BMs are hard too but venos are murder when its your first class. If you have it easy on a veno like the BM then you are doing it wrong. This does not hold true to barbs which are in my opinion the easiest class to play out of every other class albeit a bit more time consuming and sometimes more expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If a bm/veno is hard for you guys you are not playing your class good,fail or need new gear i got allmost evrey class to lvl 60 bm is fist thow easy pve and in pvp i 2 shot robes with crits and venos are simple i can gind fast as my bm faster at times and all you need 2 do in pvp is debuff amp with pets bleed + your skills anyone but a pro barb will be dead unless you cant play your class that is b:surrender
    ( both my alts have good gear for there lvl 4k hp at 66 on my bm with 5 vit) b:pleased