Player opinions on Oracles

Seiowan - Harshlands
Seiowan - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
There seems to be a huge stigma, on Harshlands server at least, about players who use Oracles to level up rather than grinding on other monsters. While functionally the same, oracles are a lot faster and as such seem to have earned the emnity of many of the players.

The most common argument against oracles is a lack of ability to function in a squad. Yet the Oracles themselves do not prevent players from also joining in team excercises such as Bounty Hunts (Treasure Hunter), Dungeons and of course, the essential spiritual cultivation quests. Perhaps people feel that advancing so swiftly through the levels means they do not get as much chance to fully introduce themselves to many of the newer skills before they unlock yet more skills.

What im curious about is your own reactions and thoughts on players who use Oracles, whether for purely spirit (siphoning XP into genies or comitting suicide) or for levelling. This is simply for sharing opinions not for flaming. Keep your witch burning ceremonies to yourself for now and let's try and get some constructive dialogue going.
Post edited by Seiowan - Harshlands on

Comments

• Meeplk - Harshlands
    Meeplk - Harshlands Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    thats it i give up *leaves the spam thread*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

magic mmmb:dirty
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Well, there's a good way to lock the thread.

I've used... two? Three oracles all game. (Mobs do occasionally drop them.)

I've ground... hmmm, maybe 10 one-man-army goes recently, probably double that?

I don't think anyone objects to that amount of grinding.

People object to "It's been a week, I think I should be level 75 by now" oracles.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    many of the quests past 30 are important to learning your class. even though they may be suck mobs for your class to fight, dealing with the various types of mobs and with their social aggro past 30 is what makes a player better.

some players oracle up high, then do their quests. that makes the mobs a lot easier and takes away the learning and challenging iaspect.

in my opinion it's best to oracle when you've truly reached the daily/grind and questless stage of your levels, and quest at the level they are available to you.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Chilo - Heavens Tear
    Chilo - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The problem are not players leveling on oracles but rather, forgive my latin, "oracle noobs" - players who have no idea how to play their class because they leveled on oracles... There were there always (saw lvl70 once who leveled on cs - that was before oracles) but now they are more visible... and more painful. Veno without a weapon because she preferres fox form? Or leveled tanking pet? Cleric not able to heal in instances? Barb who doesn't know what "roar" is? Name it and unfortunatelly you will get it.

In the same time I know many great players leveling their alts or sometimes even mains on oracles and I have no problem with it. Oracles are a tool, nothing more.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I don't have an issue with the concept oracle leveling.

I have an issue with incompetency, which may or may not be related to oracle leveling. After a certain point, there is only so much you can learn by grinding, so it seems reasonable to get to the next level or two via oracling.

I have an issue when someone who is average or poor in-game goes to buy a bunch of oracles to level, and then proceed to complain how they have no coins.

Personally I think BHs are a bigger issue, since people are leveling more quickly than before, and thus have less coin-to-level ratios. There are very obvious workarounds for this, but most players do not use them for some strange reason. In the past, a significant portion of income for the common player came from grinding. Now that a lot less people are grinding due to BHs (and Oracles), a lot of higher level people are simply poor since they have not done anything else to supplement their income.
  • Kitsuneh - Lost City
    Kitsuneh - Lost City Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    My opinion: Oracling is fine as long as you dont use real cash to buy oracles and you know how to play your class.b:victory
  • drjiggle
    drjiggle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I've encountered more than one 7x barbarian who doesn't have or know what tiger form is, and still more who have it but don't know that you should be using it to tank. And then there are the clerics who Ironheart themselves when they get aoe-ed, leaving everyone else including the tank to die (the cleric, of course, dies too soon after). Or the archer / wizard who 3-sparks immediately after the herc hits the boss, steals aggro, and wipes the party. Or the BM who thinks he can pull better than the veno and winds up with 20 mobs chasing him back to the party. They come in all shapes and sizes, but yes, it's the Oracle noob, not the Oracle, that people dislike.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    SERIOUSLY WraithKiller? Completely unnecessary!

On-Topic - Let them Oracle...there $$ in-game or out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Morraina - Sanctuary
    Morraina - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Personally, I think that Oracles are for the lazy and impatient.

From what I have seen, the Oracles really only help a great deal at lower levels. (20-30k XP per Oracle) At those levels, you gain levels so quickly that they are not really needed. I mean seriously, I can get a toon to lvl 30 in like a week of casual playing.

I also believe that if a person takes a new toon (esp. a class that they've never played before) and levels them up without doing quests, etc. that they are, in fact, hindering themselves when they attain the higher levels and want to participate in squad runs. As fast as you can level with Oracles through level 60 there's no way for you to learn how to best utilize the skills you have. Besides, do you even have as much coin and spirit to gain those skills?

I can however see the benefit when you're stuck grinding for days after completeling all of your quests. The 50s sucked so bad on my Cleric that if it hadn't been for finding my Faction, I would have scratched my eyes out. (HINT: Group grinding can be both fun and profitable.)

The truth is, Oracles are a fact of life in this game. Some people can use them to their benefit and still be a great player. Others can't. Those that can't will quickly find it hard to join squads or get BH, TT, etc. done because of their inexperience.

I don't ask if a person has used Oracles to level before letting them join my squads. But if they constantly make dumb mistakes while in that squad, I'll probably never squad with them again. (Even people who've never touched an oracle before can fall into that last category.)
  • fatboykkb
    fatboykkb Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    why can't you guys get this through you'r head. people who buy oraclers with cash is what makes this game f2p. if people didn't cash shop that much this game would be all p2p. so instead of hateing oraclers you should be really thanking them for letting you play this game.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    There are few situations that must be said.

a)oracle a class you never played
    b)oracle a class you played

While with b i have nothing against lets say if you start on a new server or what ever, it's fine, their money and they can use it as they please (if i had it i would).
    BUT with a i have probs, simply cause you have no right to say anything about that class like how to level what skills to use when to get a skill and stuff like that, and ppl like that i dont want it my squad b:bye
    b:dirty
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    again, the game chose to sell oracles when it could have been making money off of something else.

if the game released a charged insta-kill item in the boutique that allows you to kill anyone in PvP with just an activate, regardless of level or gear, people would be pissed but many would buy it and abuse it in TW right?

and by your logic some would be saying

"people who use this is what's letting you play the game for free so stop complaining"

that argument can only get you so far. there are reasonable sales and suck sales, figure out the distinction.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    fatboykkb wrote: »
    why can't you guys get this through you'r head. people who buy oraclers with cash is what makes this game f2p. if people didn't cash shop that much this game would be all p2p. so instead of hateing oraclers you should be really thanking them for letting you play this game.

I'm getting rather tired of this argument. PW had plenty of money and was making plenty of money through strategical use of the cash shop long before they started allowing mass oracles for sale. The reason that oracles are in the cash shop is because people buy them, in super large quantities, because they can level with little to no effort. They are not there because PW needs the money, they are there because PW can get tons of it without even having to try.

That being said, the single greatest attribute of a great player is experience. Not experience points, but experience. The argument that there is no difference between killing 10000 mobs and killing 10000000000, is true. But it doesn't apply because the people that actually play the game don't just sit and kill standard mobs all day to level. Oracles cause players to skip the game, and especially in the case of new players who do not have prior experience, this leads to the development of very lousy players. Forget the money aspect of it. People also use the argument, "if you could do it, you would do it too, you're just jealous cuz you can't afford it." I just spent well over 200 million coins out my own pocket on a serverwide event, trust me, I can afford it.

When two characters have equal gear, and equal level, the more experienced player will win nearly every time. It's true that some players are naturally better at games than others, but experience is a defining factor and it's clear that people don't understand this when they are level 95+ and are outclassed by a level 80 that knows the game on a deeper level.

My base opinion, I don't care if people want to oracle their way through, it really makes no difference to me. But I really don't see the point of skipping the entire game, since the purpose of a game is to play it. Standing in front of the same mob and killing it over and over until you hit 90, 95, even 100, does not give you what you need to be a true success in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    if people just wanted to level to end game in 2 days. why dont they just play one of those "other" servers? atleast they probably dont have to pay out the yingyang for levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    honestly oracles arent bad depending and can be quite ussefull on the way they are used if they are mass consumed so you can lvl at outrageous speed its bad but if you were grinding,got lucky on obtaining a few and say lets make some extra experience fast its ussefull and not bad

if you use 1 oracle a day on the average its not that bad at all, 1 oracle for lvl 30+ more if you need more exp ofc just to fill some grinding gaps not fully just a part

putting them in the cash shop is 1 off the worse things PWE did as it encourages mass ussage off oracles
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hiya, in an effort to keep this forum more clean, we ask that you please post in topics that are already active on the same subject, rather than posting a duplicate topics. Thank you.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=556271
This discussion has been closed.