Has no one thought of this?

13»

Comments

• eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Actually, I can think of one game out right now where it's possible to become invulnerable with game mechanics. It actually happening though ends up being prevented through itemization, not letting stats get high enough for it to occur at any given time.

That's what I mean b:laugh
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have to wonder about this though, if the skill says that it raises your def.level to 99, then it must go at least that high right? Unless there is some sort of formula it runs through and it doesn't actually reduce that much.

Even at defense level 99, if a player took ...say....500,000 damage, they would only receive 5k. PKing Psychics could even survive hits from guards if this was the case. That being said, something tells me it probably doesn't work exactly like people are thinking it does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • HikariHinata - Heavens Tear
    HikariHinata - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have to wonder about this though, if the skill says that it raises your def.level to 99, then it must go at least that high right? Unless there is some sort of formula it runs through and it doesn't actually reduce that much.

Even at defense level 99, if a player took ...say....500,000 damage, they would only receive 5k. PKing Psychics could even survive hits from guards if this was the case. That being said, something tells me it probably doesn't work exactly like people are thinking it does.

That's because everyone looked at ecatomb for the skill
    Ecatomb is WRONG they INVERTED both bonus and malus! b:cry
    01001100 01100101 01110011 01110011 00100000 01010001 01010001 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01001110 01111001 01110101 01001110 01111001 01110101 00100001 00100001 00100001
    b:thanks
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The skill does not lower your damage taken by 99% like you are trying to say.

Nobody comprehends anymore...

okay... let me try this for you (not sure if anyone else did yet or not) - methinks you are the misunderstood one.

Lets go with white voodoo level 4, on my level 29 LA psychic:

base stats:
    physical attack: 196 - 230
    magic attack: 435 - 536
    --
    pdef: 506 (30% damage reduced from same level enemies)
    mdef: 734 (39% damage reduced from same level enemies)

White Voodoo level 4:
    Increases defense level by 46.2
    Decreases attack level by 69

What is an attack level / defense level? Well to answer that question... look at the warsoul weapons page: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/guide/ultimate
    (click the attack level link). according to the link, it says that you would deal 1% extra damage per point in attack level, so one would assume that defense level would work similar.. ie every point in defense level allows you to defend against 1% more damage. But since we know that with white voodoo and a piece of gear that adds def level of 1, it is impossible to be "invincible" -- we can assume that what is actually happening is the following:

the percentage gain from white voodoo will result in the following (on my toon)

pdef becomes: 506 * 1.462 = 739.772 (now giving me about 39% damage reduction against same level mobs)
    mdef becomes: 734 * 1073.108 (about what an arcane wearer would have without white voodoo)

But my max magic attack becomes:
    536 * .31 = 166.16

sounds pretty shoddy right? however, from what I've seen thus far.. torrent is not effected by white voodoo or black voodoo's attack level effect. thus.. can be beneficial to use white voodoo + soul of vengeance + torrent when fighting elite mobs/minibosses.
    SO... I hope that clears things up for you. def level =/= damage reduction percent. However, the higher your defense goes, you begin to get diminishing returns on defense numbers. Whereas 200 points for me now may gain 9% additional defense, when I have 2000 defense, the same def level buff will undoubtedly give less damage reduction in return, however my attack level will still drop at a constant rate. Therein lies the catch 22 of white voodoo. Black voodoo otoh will likely, in higher levels, with higher defense numbers, yield a higher attack strength while giving a lesser amount of damage reduction loss as compared to now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    yea, but that doesn't last long enough to kill harpy waith. it only lasts 1 minute. so you go kill harpy wraith in 1 minute, record it too please
    I wonder what you would say if this applied to only a sin. Would you QQ as well or defend the class like you are doing now, or are you defending only because it is your class?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Softie - Harshlands
    Softie - Harshlands Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ud make a good cata puller if u cnt take damage
  • wtvdie
    wtvdie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    just a thought.... doesnt harpy wraith also have attack lvl to cancel some of your defence lvl?
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    Psytrac - Raging Tide Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I wonder what you would say if this applied to only a sin. Would you QQ as well or defend the class like you are doing now, or are you defending only because it is your class?
    way to completely misread my post..

my point was it is IMPOSSIBLE due to time limitations, not that it WAS possible..

and if it was any other class, I'd say the same.

tell me how you see that as defending the class?
  • StratosFear - Lost City
    StratosFear - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    yea, but that doesn't last long enough to kill harpy waith. it only lasts 1 minute. so you go kill harpy wraith in 1 minute, record it too please

Yeah but just cast it again after the 1 minute. 8 second cooldown.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    way to completely misread my post..

my point was it is IMPOSSIBLE due to time limitations, not that it WAS possible..

and if it was any other class, I'd say the same.

tell me how you see that as defending the class?
    Yeah but just cast it again after the 1 minute. 8 second cooldown.

or for that matter...

White Voodoo -> aqua -> spirit -> landslide -> water DoT -> earth DoT, repeat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • LilWolfy - Heavens Tear
    LilWolfy - Heavens Tear Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If the information on ecatomb is correct...

White Voodoo Level 10
    Mana 112
    Channel 1.0 seconds
    Cast 1.4 seconds
    Cooldown 8.0 seconds
    Weapon Soulsphere

Requisite Cultivation Spiritual Adept
    Increase your Defense Level by 99.
    Reduces your Attack Level by 66.
    Lasts 60 seconds.

If you combine this skill with the cube necklace (+1 defense) you will be able to reach 100 defense level! So basically psychics will be invulnerable and be able to solo harpy wraith and basically everything b:victory

im not sure if this is right but from how i understand it each lv u take a little less damage from all mobs or players cuz u get farther way in lv from them or closer in lv to them , from my understanding a def lv basically makes u take damage as if u were that many lvs higher ...so with +100 def lv u would take the amount of damage u would as if u were 100 lv higher then u r , im not sure if thats right if its wrong someone plz tell me but that is how it was explained to me
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Are we sure the defense level provides a percentage of defense like p.def does? Or does it provide a percentage of extra defense similar to a cleric buff?
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • _Juno_ - Heavens Tear
    _Juno_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    It is not possible to become invulnerable through defense. One of the base mechanics of any game includes a limit that would prevent this.

That is, unless you're a GMb:shocked

-Throws Spoons to the Harpy Wraith
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    -Throws Spoons to the Harpy Wraith

Spoons already has Harpy Wraith trained to use the litter box. b:sweat
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad