The Immaturity of Farming

2»

Comments

• Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I found fifty bucks on the ground in Times Square a month or so ago.

Years ago I was at Eckerd Drugs and found $100 and a few mins later a lady started to scream that she lost her money. I felt compelled to return it. Not even a thank you from her. Snatch and walk away. :-(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I find it really annoying when people PK because I farm a mat. You guys don't have to get butt hurt because I farmed it when I saw it. And the reason they don't fight someone over cash on the ground Irl is because they are too afraid, and they come to PW to feel tough. Same with RPKers, they feel tough over the game. Yet they are overweight punks, that got bullied in school and are looking for revenge in a game.

Fail much in psychology 101?

~S
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Years ago I was at Eckerd Drugs and found $100 and a few mins later a lady started to scream that she lost her money. I felt compelled to return it. Not even a thank you from her. Snatch and walk away. :-(

Your to nice. I would have kept it and walked away $100.00 richer.

~S
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Fail much in psychology 101?

~S

Oh, but of course, if you act disrespectful, you must be fat, ugly and unfortunate. There is absolutely no chance that you would be doing it for the lulz or anything of the sort, you must be absolutely evil and ugly and bad and unfortunate. Oh, and you must also hate kittens and steal candy from small children, not to mention kick old ladies and do drugs and participate it robberies and various other illegal activities.

I thought that much was obvious.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Oh, but of course, if you act disrespectful, you must be fat, ugly and unfortunate. There is absolutely no chance that you would be doing it for the lulz or anything of the sort, you must be absolutely evil and ugly and bad and unfortunate. Oh, and you must also hate kittens and steal candy from small children, not to mention kick old ladies and do drugs and participate it robberies and various other illegal activities.

I thought that much was obvious.

lol /thread

~S
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Your to nice. I would have kept it and walked away $100.00 richer.

~S

Says a lot about you then :P
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009

If I had seen the person who dropped it I would have returned it, but it was just...sitting there.

So I bought food and a Tshirt with the R train symbol on it. It was a good day. b:chuckle

/offtopic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009

If they are so irresponsible with $100.00 as to lose it, then they are better off w/o because it is obvious they can't handle money properly.

I'm 45 and have never lost more than the occasional pocket change (pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters) in my entire life.

And finally, Sorry but your moral high horse is pretty fail. It actually doesn't say much of anything about me other than I think that if someone loses something and I find it, then it's mine, not theirs.

Life is cut throat, if you haven't yet begun to understand that, then your not going to get far in life before someone takes advantage of your naivety.

~Saitada
  • zombienationz
    zombienationz Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    worst part about the ht server is theres to many people digging, not enough of them in pk... i say if u can kill somone to get a mat DO IT, least they'll learn not to cut u off or race u to every mat in the area b:bye
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I don't get annoyed anymore by people literally "stealing" my mats when I clear a mine or whatever. If you know mankind this sort of behavior should be taken for granted, the minority of respecting your claim should not be. I once went afk on a safe mine, I even had a person asking me if I was farming it, I will never forget him .

In a world where people would get you killed to save their own skin, one mat is but a sign of something more terrible :P
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    In a world where people would get you killed to save their own skin, one mat is but a sign of something more terrible :P

Life is cut throat, if it came down to you living or me living (and that was the only choices) sorry m8, but your going under the train. Bye Bye!

~S
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If they are so irresponsible with $100.00 as to lose it, then they are better off w/o because it is obvious they can't handle money properly.

I'm 45 and have never lost more than the occasional pocket change (pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters) in my entire life.

And finally, Sorry but your moral high horse is pretty fail. It actually doesn't say much of anything about me other than I think that if someone loses something and I find it, then it's mine, not theirs.

Life is cut throat, if you haven't yet begun to understand that, then your not going to get far in life before someone takes advantage of your naivety.

~Saitada

If everybody thought like this, no positive change would ever befall the world. You might think the world is a big black hellhole that is beyond redemption, but ironically it's the "naive" and idealistic people that bring about change.

You keep going on and on about how life is cuthroat, and nice guys come out last, and yet you don't realize the morals and ethics that you live by and take for granted daily were actually made to be by the very naive people you keep trashing on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zombienationz
    zombienationz Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I don't get annoyed anymore by people literally "stealing" my mats when I clear a mine or whatever. If you know mankind this sort of behavior should be taken for granted, the minority of respecting your claim should not be. I once went afk on a safe mine, I even had a person asking me if I was farming it, I will never forget him .

lol kinda reminds me of kane from kung fu
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    If everybody thought like this, no positive change would ever befall the world. You might think the world is a big black hellhole that is beyond redemption, but ironically it's the "naive" and idealistic people that bring about change.

You keep going on and on about how life is cuthroat, and nice guys come out last, and yet you don't realize morals and ethics that you live by and take for granted daily were actually made to be by the very naive people you keep trashing on.

Your assuming I live by any morals or ethics. And sorry, again your wrong, they were made by religion for the most part, although people that buy into religions are naive (and sheeple) in my opinion, so upon further reflection your probably fairly correct.

I don't 'think' the world is a big black hellhole that is beyond redemption, I know it is. Redemption of course again brings into play religion (which I again state, I personally consider Naive to follow). I like the world the way it is. Evil, Nasty, Vicious and Cold.

~S
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    From fun PK wars over mats to entertaining forum QQ wars over mats.

No wonder the devs made them a limited resource. They add so much more fun to the game when people can't suck it up and move on (or roll a PvP server and expect that they're immune from PK just because they're digging a mat).
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    From fun PK wars over mats to entertaining forum QQ wars over mats.

No wonder the devs made them a limited resource. They add so much more fun to the game when people can't suck it up and move on (or roll a PvP server and expect that they're immune from PK just because they're digging a mat).

So true so true.

~S
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Your assuming I live by any morals or ethics. And sorry, again your wrong, they were made by religion for the most part, although people that buy into religions are naive (and sheeple) in my opinion, so upon further reflection your probably fairly correct.

I don't 'think' the world is a big black hellhole that is beyond redemption, I know it is.

~S

I believe you're the naive one then, to live with no virtues in a world of ethics and morals. Yet it only works because the rest of us abide by what we call humanity. In a world of no rules, no ethics, no morals and no beliefs, where someone can just freely bash your face in, do you really think you would preach the same thing? There's always someone bigger and stronger than you, and to think you can survive in a world of the fittest without any limits and bounds is naivety in its entirety.

And if you really know the world is so, it's because you make it out to be, and it's because it's what you want it to be, so it can justify the way you live.

That said, "stealing" mats like Solandri and a few others discussed, is a subjective matter. Some think it's okay, some thinks it's wrong. But to downplay human virtues is no subjective matter and to exploit those who mean for a better place isn't subjective. It's wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    I believe you're the naive one then, to live with no virtues in a world of ethics and morals. Yet it only works because the rest of us abide by what we call humanity.

And if you really know the world is so, it's because you make it out to be, and it's because it's what you want it to be, so it can justify the way you live.

Your making assumptions of how I live. I said you are assuming I live by morals or virtues, I didn't say that I didn't live by them.

You are naive to assume the world lives by morals and virtues tbqh. Look around you. How many people do you see exceeding the speed limit (most if not all)? They break one little moral (obey the laws). How many people do you know that cheat on their taxes (probably more than you think)?. How many people take something home from work like a pen (they won't miss it).

How many people do you know that are 100% honest and moral and virtuous? (close to none I'd bet).

Sorry m8 but reality here, you live in a world of illusion if you think the world is led by morals and virtue. We are led by the ILLUSION of them, not the reality of them.

Where I grew up, it was survival of the fittest. People were frequently 'bashed in the face (or simply stabbed, or shot)' with no consequences other than what others in my neighborhood dished back to them. Cops and Laws didn't worry anyone. if they wanted what you had, they took it. if you resisted, it became a fight for survival.

I also spent 3 years in prison and a number of years through my life sitting in Jail cells. The jungle doesn't get much nastier than that, although at least the jungle is more forthright in how your attacked.

Again, the Naive one here is you. You have no clue or idea what life is really like other than what you see in your 'safe little illusion'.

~S
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Your making assumptions of how I live. I said you are assuming I live by morals or virtues, I didn't say that I didn't live by them.

You are naive to assume the world lives by morals and virtues tbqh. Look around you. How many people do you see exceeding the speed limit (most if not all)? They break one little moral (obey the laws). How many people do you know that cheat on their taxes (probably more than you think)?. How many people take something home from work like a pen (they won't miss it).

How many people do you know that are 100% honest and moral and virtuous? (close to none I'd bet).

Sorry m8 but reality here, you live in a world of illusion if you think the world is led by morals and virtue. We are led by the ILLUSION of them, not the reality of them.

~S
    Your assuming I live by any morals or ethics. And sorry, again your wrong.

If I assumed that you do live by any morals and ethics and you said I am wrong, then that means you don't live by any, correct?

You're right. There's plenty of people out there that preach righteousness and break it the next second. To be honest, I am probably one of those. But look at the changes mankind has faced throughout it's history. The ones that protect us from one another, and the ones that allow us to retain our basic rights. Do you think that was just whipped out of the air? Or fabricated by a bored person? Or perhaps you just don't believe in human rights and think the whole world is a giant PK fest?

I'm not saying the world is a beautiful place, because the truth is it isn't. But to discourage, shun and ridicule at people who do have a shred of compassion is not right. It may be an idealistic and as you put it naive way of thinking, but once again, the way we live our lives right now, were shaped by these "nice" and "naive" people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    If I assumed that you do live by any morals and ethics and you said I am wrong, then that means you don't live by any, correct?

You're right. There's plenty of people out there that preach righteousness and break it the next second. To be honest, I am probably one of those. But look at the changes mankind has faced throughout it's history. The ones that protect us from one another, and the ones that allow us to retain our basic rights. Do you think that was just whipped out of the air? Or fabricated by a bored person? Or perhaps you just don't believe in human rights and think the whole world is a giant PK fest?

I'm not saying the world is a beautiful place, because the truth is it isn't. But to discourage, shun and ridicule at people who do have a shred of compassion is not right. It may be an idealistic and as you put it naive way of thinking, but once again, the way we live our lives right now, were shaped by these "nice" and "naive" people.

the part where I said "And sorry, again your wrong.. was actually attached to the following sentence, and not meant to be attached to the previous sentence. Punctuation failure on my part.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to live in a world where people don't kill people for their NIKE shoes, or their cell phone, or murder entire ethnic groups just because they are 'different' or things like that, but I do live in such a world. That is reality. Pie in the sky dreaming doesn't change that. There are almost entire continents where morals are few and far between and it really is survival of the meanest, nastiest sob's. There are nations after nations where in the cities, the veneer of civilization exists, until you scratch past the surface and look under it. Far more nations are animalistic than there are nations that are not.

Sure even the dregs have 'rules' but more people live in misery, poverty, lack education, and are victims of 'authority' than don't in this world.

Granted my life has been pretty harsh and nasty and I have had to fight and scrape my way out of it. I will accept that that has colored how I see life pretty strongly. I also accept that others life experience shapes how they see life. I don't see life with rose colored glasses, but from my dark and grungy viewpoint. Others.. won't see things as I do. I would wager I am probably in a minority of people in the 'developed' nations that sees things this way.

~S
  • Elvarin - Dreamweaver
    Elvarin - Dreamweaver Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yes it does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I love how this thread has deteriorated into debating whether or not Saitada has morals. I love the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Actually, you're both right. If you study game theory, there are different types of situations which crop up. In most cases, a competitive approach like what Saitada advocates yields the best overall outcome for all parties involved. A negative suffered by one or a small set of individuals who "lose" the competition is overshadowed by the benefit of the competition to a larger portion to society.

But there's a subclass of problems in which competition arrives at a sub-optimal or even worst-case outcome, and cooperation yields the best overall solution. Altruistic behavior comes from dealing with these types of problems, whether you believe it stems from the wisdom of God or is a product of evolution.

The important thing is to recognize that both these possibilities exist, and you can't apply one rule to all situations. Sometimes the competitive approach is better, sometimes the cooperative approach is better. And sometimes it's obvious which approach is better (e.g. overfishing), while other times it's not so obvious (e.g. the Open Source software movement). Copyright and Patent law is founded on this distinction. For a short time, it takes the competitive approach by giving authors and creative a monopoly over their ideas. This encourages people to come up with new ideas. But after several years, the ideas and works become public domain, so all of society can benefit from it at no cost.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Meh, to each their own I guess.

Most people know the world is harsh, but joining in isn't exactly going to fix it. You can be nice and look out for yourself at the same time. If you found $100 you'd most likely keep it because you're convinced you're the only decent person in the world and that $100 belongs to some cutthroat who'd rob you blind if given half the chance....whereas in actual fact it might belong to some kind, honest person desperately trying to run a family.

Saying you "would love to live in a world where people don't kill people for their NIKE shoes" is absolute ****... basically you believe if you don't fight just for yourself you deserve to burn. Look around you, this isn't a life-death situation on the street...it's a virtual game player for enjoyment. There's no excuse to be rude to anyone bar the sake of it, being used to it or actually taking enjoyment in being rude.
  • IKnowRight - Harshlands
    IKnowRight - Harshlands Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    b:worriedi hate how people have to use pvp to get..."MATS!" I mean cmon, you get it fair and square and some immature dumbass has to kill you for a mat. I used to love farming mats when there was no problem at all now its like a fight for food or some ****. I hadn't noticed people get all pressed about getting one measily mat. If you are, you obviously are addicted to the game if your willing to go to lengths for a little piece of in-game material. If someone is getting a mat find another spot to farm. If your a pker and don't give a **** and would gladly pk, then congrats on killing someone because you can't do it yourself in real life. Stick to rpking some random noob at hidden orchid and leave the game fair.
    PS. Yea i don't care if you think this post was a waste of time, I'm free to do whatever I want.

DOOD IAM PICKING MATS!!!! I SUCK AT PVP SO LEAVE ME ALONE!! GO PK 30'S LIKE I DO WHEN I WANT COOL RED NAME!!
    I kill people over mats. It's annoying as **** to dig mats to begin with, and its even more annoying when some nub digs what you're just about to dig.

I think the Heaven's Tear server is calling your name

I needed mats for my elite leather yesterday. I picked like 10 mats and killed over 20 people lol (dude called back up and they came 1 by 1 by 1). Carebears pick pick and sell at 8k+.. If u do BH and stuff u will waste cash so why shouldnt i prevent people from making cash.. and help myself? lol >.>
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Meh, to each their own I guess.

Most people know the world is harsh, but joining in isn't exactly going to fix it. You can be nice and look out for yourself at the same time. If you found $100 you'd most likely keep it because you're convinced you're the only decent person in the world and that $100 belongs to some cutthroat who'd rob you blind if given half the chance....whereas in actual fact it might belong to some kind, honest person desperately trying to run a family.

Saying you "would love to live in a world where people don't kill people for their NIKE shoes" is absolute ****... basically you believe if you don't fight just for yourself you deserve to burn. Look around you, this isn't a life-death situation on the street...it's a virtual game player for enjoyment. There's no excuse to be rude to anyone bar the sake of it, being used to it or actually taking enjoyment in being rude.

I don't see where I was being rude actually. I was debating and sharing my overall viewpoint of life with people. If anything I said struck you as being rude, sorry, it wasn't meant in that manner.

I do believe that if I don't fight for myself, then I get what I deserve. I stand up for myself. I don't hesitate to defend myself, and I have no regard for those who expect society to protect them, and refuse to do it for themselves out of some failed sense of entitlement.

It goes the same for in game. If I am making for a Mat, and someone else gets there first and gets it then they are obviously entitled to it. If on the other hand, they are on a PK server and race for a Mat, and someone gets there before them and they can PK them before they farm it (so they will get it) or pk them after farming it (just because they can) then they are entitled to do that in game. Assuming because your farming a Mat on a PK server should make you Immune from being PK'd (as the OP seems to be trying to make it sound) is stupid and idiotic.

As for the $100.00's bit.. I feel, and will always feel that if someone is so irresponsible with their money as to lose it, then their loss is my gain if I find it. I don't care if they have 20 starving kids to feed either. If they can't be responsible with their money it's not my problem if they lose it, it's their problem for not being responsible with it in the first place and keeping it safely in their wallet, hand or purse (and if they have 20 starving kids to feed, they should have used birth control, kept their legs closed, got themselves a vasectomy or abstained.. breeding then expecting society to support your welfare brats is pure BS).

~Saitada
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Solandri's right in that a world of both extremes would quickly turn into chaos. You need a healthy balance of both to have a functioning society.

But this is what I wanted to say.
    Most people know the world is harsh, but joining in isn't exactly going to fix it.

If you really mean to live in a world where "people don't kill for a pair of Nikes", then telling people we're beyond saving is pointless and counter-productive.

It's one thing to know and to experience how harsh the world is, but it's another to turn that same sentiment back onto society. If you really wish for a better place, then it should be your experience that fuels you to act, rather than a reason for you to give up.

I share the same thoughts as you when it comes to people who just expect free lunches. But you have to know there's people who came here without a choice, and without a starting ground. And without external support, they can't possibly survive. It's all in your right to believe they should just die off, but that's where Solandri's point comes in.

You need both systems to have a functional society.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Solandri's right in that a world of both extremes would quickly turn into chaos. You need a healthy balance of both to have a functioning society.

But this is what I wanted to say.

If you really mean to live in a world where "people don't kill for a pair of Nikes", then telling people we're beyond saving is pointless and counter-productive.

It's one thing to know and to experience how harsh the world is, but it's another to turn that same sentiment back onto society. If you really wish for a better place, then it should be your experience that fuels you to act, rather than a reason for you to give up.

I haven't given up, I still actually do have a vestige of hope, I just don't think mankind is capable of cleaning up their act without a gestalt change of our collective psyche. I hold out hope for that change.

~S
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I haven't given up, I still actually do have a vestige of hope, I just don't think mankind is capable of cleaning up their act without a gestalt change of our collective psyche.

~S

I can't find anything else to say to that. Knowing you haven't given up is great. The second part is nothing but truth. The rest well...my life isn't long enough to finish that debate b:chuckle

so...

lalala~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    I can't find anything else to say to that. Knowing you haven't given up is great. The second part is nothing but truth. The rest well...my life isn't long enough to finish that debate b:chuckle

so...

lalala~

Mine either, but it's fun to debate it as we go. When I was younger... I was a bit more hopeful, then we moved to where I lived through my teen years and I became rather.. darker in my outlook. As I have aged, my viewpoint has fluctuated back and forth between the two, from hopeful to dismal and back again.

I always maintain 'some' hope otherwise life simply wouldn't be worth living at all but the older I get the less hopeful I am it seems. Probably a cumulative effect of all the negative that is nearly constantly thrown at us by the news. Maybe I should stop watching the news LOL.

~S