Platinum Boxes?

Feroxine - Lost City
Feroxine - Lost City Posts: 80 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
Would anyone happen to know what prizes it is possible to get from a Platinum Box? From what I understand, they contain either 1,000,000 or 5,000,000 coins and I've seen a few being sold for 800,000 coins or so, so I'm rather tempted, but I shan't bother if there's a possibility of winning anything less than I payed for it.
Post edited by Feroxine - Lost City on

Comments

• Juggarjew - Sanctuary
    Juggarjew - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    you can get 1 coin or 5 mil coins,i think theres a 2 or 5 percent chance to win 5 mil
  • Feroxine - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Well, I just purchased one and it contained a 'sadness card'. Marvellous.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Would anyone happen to know what prizes it is possible to get from a Platinum Box? From what I understand, they contain either 1,000,000 or 5,000,000 coins and I've seen a few being sold for 800,000 coins or so, so I'm rather tempted, but I shan't bother if there's a possibility of winning anything less than I payed for it.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/11408

2% chance to win 5 million, which puts the average value of the box at 100k. I dunno why people buy it for more than that. I guess it's like how people buy lottery tickets or play slot machines even though the average payout is less than the cost.
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I laughed when I saw the %age for the sadness card and the excitement card.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/11408

2% chance to win 5 million, which puts the average value of the box at 100k. I dunno why people buy it for more than that. I guess it's like how people buy lottery tickets or play slot machines even though the average payout is less than the cost.

ya because if you get 5mil, that 200k-500k you spent on that box would be trivial.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ya because if you get 5mil, that 200k-500k you spent on that box would be trivial.

This single post explain how come the economy of PW is in the state it is.

And it make me believe that gold at 1million is really not that far away in the future.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    This single post explain how come the economy of PW is in the state it is.

And it make me believe that gold at 1million is really not that far away in the future.
    It's the same reason 1 out of every 3 people who win a million dollars or more in a lottery will end up bankrupt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The person selling that box figures it's worth, on average, a lot less than 800k.

And they are almost certainly right - 99 times out of 100 it's worth 1 coin.

Having said that - I open my boxes. The one cube run when they DID open for coin paid for maxing all of my skills.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I don't trust my luck any more. Gambled twice in game. Once on halloween and once with anniversary packs. Both times I became poor. First time I got lucky and got a lobster, which was more than I started with. Last time I hit rock bottom. No way I'm EVER gambling in game again. Real life is different. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Darkbrigade - Heavens Tear
    Darkbrigade - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I got 5million of that once, but that was just once, since then, no more Q.Q
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    2%.... that's like roughly 1 in 50 boxes. You could buy 50 of these and still have a chance of not getting one.
  • Feroxine - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I don't think I shall be gambling in-game again in the near future!
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have sold a few dozen of those boxes for many millions in profit. Why open a box with a 100k average payout when you can sell for 5 times more than that? Even if you can win a couple times there is no way to compete with a 500% return over large volumes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have sold a few dozen of those boxes for many millions in profit. Why open a box with a 100k average payout when you can sell for 5 times more than that? Even if you can win a couple times there is no way to compete with a 500% return over large volumes.

Take that math stuff back to the archer sub-forum where it belongs. Everyone in the general discussion forum knows math can't be useful in daily life.

WTS> Platinum boxes cheap (just 500K)! Hurry, while supplies last! (also have chests of coins available for adventurous gold market speculators)
    "?" IS my avatar.