Rerolling a Barb instead?

Delmarte - Lost City
Delmarte - Lost City Posts: 216 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Blademaster
I can't do it! I tried the barbarian for 10 minutes and couldn't stand it. Wack wack wack! It was maddening... b:cry

Here's my question. Have any of you played a BM most of your PWI life, tried the barb just for kicks, and then quit it because it just didn't feel right?

The other classes were fun, but none of them I made past lv 43 (veno).

Am I being unfair? I mean I don't really have the time or energy to reroll anyway.

I'm mostly posting this question to people who have tried both and given them an equal chance.

Actually, if there are any barbs here, have any of you stuck with a barb, tried a BM, and then quit because THAT didn't feel right?

Is it just that melee classes get annoying after a while and you only wanna play your own out of attachment? b:chuckle
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If I'm here I'm bored or procrastinating. b:cute
Post edited by Delmarte - Lost City on

Comments

• kamikaze101
    kamikaze101 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I tried barb.......I can't believe how painful that was D=...I love my fists, spear, axes, swords =3
  • Crazy_Panda - Dreamweaver
    Crazy_Panda - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I tried barb.......I can't believe how painful that was D=...I love my fists, spear, axes, swords =3

i like how the spears glow yellow b:thanks
  • Malley - Lost City
    Malley - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    didnt like being the incredable hulk and I hate axes
  • Chilo - Heavens Tear
    Chilo - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have lvl50 barb alt. It was very painful on lower levels but got much better after 40-45 and i'm pretty sure is fun on 60+. It's cool to have that insane hp and ph res and to have pretty cleric girls ride on your back ;-) But the damage is sooo looow, what makes questing long and boring. BM is much better for me b:victory
  • Aquarian - Lost City
    Aquarian - Lost City Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ^^ i tried barb once....didnt last long lols

as fun as it is to run around as a kitty and as much as i wish i could steal their hp bars, I missed my damage 2 much T.T

Beisdes its also nice to beable to play as a girl...genderlock suxb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:cool Im so awsome they named a poleaxe after me XD
  • NecroWyvern - Sanctuary
    NecroWyvern - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I've played a bm most of the time, but I have also played a barb before. The truth is that barbs just dont fit my playing style. b:irritated I decided to keep on playing my bm as my main. Besides I love going all aoe crazy with my bm. b:pleased
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Playing barb has to be the most boring thing i've ever done...

Tried because i was curious one day... omg... never again. I don't like being a teddy bear either.

So yeah, my main is a BM and no way im going to play barb again XD
  • DraykeHeart - Heavens Tear
    DraykeHeart - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I started out as a BM, lvl'd to 81 and thought
    "Hmmm maybe as a Barb I can be more useful, and I think it'd be awesome to be able to tank all those wb's! oh oh oh, MASSIVE HP OMAGODDD"
    I also figured, since a barb is essentially the same build so I can just exchange gears when needed to save on costs.
    So I rerolled to a Barb, and lvl'd it to 90, went sage, achieved 16.4k HP with TT80 Gold Armor.

Heres a summary of my thoughts and opinions based on personal experience.
    Barb
    -I can tank WB's
    -I can give the always wanted hp buff to squadmates
    -I have massive hp (For my lvl at least.... I think =| need to get mahself some tt90 >.<)
    -Grinding was.... managable. I learned to aoe grind with some efficiency, though nowhere near as good as an axe bm.
    -Sage/Demon True form, I love the constant high average speed. Mount? pffftttt. Supa Tiger speeedz ftw.
    -Absolutely did not like charms =|. Sure they keep me alive for things such as wb's and tw's. But one, they're expensive (specially with todays gold prices >.<), two, I hated grinding with them. When I grind, I only heal when I really need to with a simple ToP or Sunder. But with charms, my hp ticks at 6/8k =(. Maybe its just a personal thing, but rargh i did not like that lol.

BM
    -Loved the sense of ninja-ness
    -Loved the versatility with all the gear/skills/tactics you could utilize.
    -LOVED grinding. Why? Aoe grinding ftw man. I could actually make a decent 300k Profit per hour. I got quite efficient with grinding that i only burned off <100k per hour on my charm. (Though then again, this was back in the day when gold was 100k (give or take a few k))
    -Personal thing, I like the look of humans better generally. Nothing against the untamed of course, just a personal preferance.
    -Stuns. Nothing better than hitting ppl while they cant hit you =D
    -personal fave: AoE skills, not just from axe, but from all different tree's + main tree. Seeing a bunch of monsta's die in a nice orderly fun fashion is quite entertaining. And efficient O.o.

Summary
    Essentially, I personally feel that Playing as a Barbarian enables you to (as a melee toon) tank tougher things and gives you the privelege of being a "needed" or "critical" squad member, though at the cost of some fun and entertainment towards yourself.

Playing as a BM, you will enjoy being a very versatile player with many tools at your disposal, fun times killing lots and lots of mobs at the same time over and over again.
    You may not be particularily "Needed", but you can tank many bosses that barbs can, and you serve as the "all around guy/girl". However, to use your bm to its full potential, getting quality weapons to use all the skills maybe a bit costly.

For me, once the expansion comes out, I'll start playing my bm again as I'll be able to transfer my TT80 Gold which is bound to my barb, onto my bm (Assuming the rumors to be true that you can pass bound stuff through shared bank). I really do miss playing as my bm, and i will always have my sturdy barb on the side when i start playing the bm =D.

Thanks for reading

Final note: "Fun" of course is a subjective term. What i stated above is what I think is fun, though everybody has different "fun's" ^^
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    I don't like to sacrifice the fun of playing just for the feeling of being "needed" or having a "critical" role on a squad. This is a game after all... and i play it to have fun. And when u avoid a party wipe starting a AoE party focused on yourself or simply by the fact of stunning u suddenly have a "critical" role on a squad. As well as doing things faster on Bosses.

And don't lie to us... grinding managable on a barb? It was boring b:chuckle lol
  • Centuar - Dreamweaver
    Centuar - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I tried a barb once mostly because i got the idea in my head hey i can take insane amount of damage in endgame and i would be a cool tiger, however once i made it to lvl 11 i realized omg barb is only good for tanking so i decided i would do a bm, because i like taking damage and doing damage and pwning alot.

Swords suck, Polearms are ok if you have patience, Fists are terrible unless agaisnt pve grinding or pking a mage,Axe/Hammer Bm FTW! oh and if your wondering why i have a lvl 1 veno advatar im in the process of rerolling atm back to my bm
  • NPH - Harshlands
    NPH - Harshlands Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Barbs,like wiz's are the best 2 end-game classes, assuming you have nice gear. I had a lvl 73 bm, and tried a barb to see how it was, and now, I'm done with my bm. I have almost 2x the hp, more physical attack, and can do almost anything a bm can. I like pvp alot better with a barb, because I can actually take a hit and wiz's dont 3 shot me like bm's.
  • TheUnjudged - Heavens Tear_1274701008
    edited December 2009
    Playing barb has to be the most boring thing i've ever done...

Tried because i was curious one day... omg... never again. I don't like being a teddy bear either.

So yeah, my main is a BM and no way im going to play barb again XD

yeah I felt the same way when I wanted to try venos and wizzes. I wanted to DIE with the barb tho and the venos and wizzes. lets just say I like venos but they both make me UGH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Unjudged's power is like that of a flower..Just to be in his presence is like being washed by the healing dews of the morning. To ask for his incredible Wisdom and Knowledge is to drink of the sweetest Honey. The Unjudged is one not to be reckoned with though. Along with Copassion is a Fiery personality and Great..great Power.....
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Started out as a BM and i thought i would roll a barb, since our faction was having a bit of a shortage. While I must say that the HP was awesome, the attack speed and accuracy drove me nuts. I assume it gets better as you go, so I'm going to keep working on it.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    <
    never goes physical class if me can help it.
    b:chuckle

me has tried a "tank" archetype in other games.....down right doesn't fit me at all.
    b:shocked

me did make a barb & bm alt to check out their skill listing and stuff though like me do in all other games.
    just to get more insight into their weaknesses.
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gordolion - Lost City
    Gordolion - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    being a barb early game was hard, struggled allot in pvp and takes loong time to quest etc. however when i hit 6x it got allot better, now i realy enjoy this class allot, barely looses any pvp close to my level and totaly owns pve b:pleased so being patient is a must :P
  • SaberArturia - Dreamweaver
    SaberArturia - Dreamweaver Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If you want to be a walking meat shield then, yes, you should be a Barbarian. However, if you'd rather be a damage dealer on the front lines, Blademaster is the choice for you to take.

If you don't want to take any damage ever, be a little girl on any class that is not these two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Virtia - Lost City
    Virtia - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Im a lvl 56 barb
    Ive got a 40 bm
    sure the damage is better.
    Makes questing a little faster.. The stuns are cool too.
    But the barb fits me, im more of the 'meat shield' guy anywhoo.
    Happy gaming b:victory
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Back when I was in the 70's and trying to get TT gears, the lack of Barbs annoyed me. There was like no Barb in my faction and hard to find one over WC. There are times that I really wish I were a Barb since waiting to find a tank was really annoying. By all means, I tanked all my bosses except for Jewel and Krimson, but TT bosses were above me. So I made a VIT Barb. ZOMG the miss, miss, hit, miss miss hit drove me insane. I'm sure it's easier after BloodBath, but I could not stand it. I barely got it to its FB19 and it's currently at level 21. It was then that I realized why Barbs were so hard to find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Barbs,like wiz's are the best 2 end-game classes, assuming you have nice gear. I had a lvl 73 bm, and tried a barb to see how it was, and now, I'm done with my bm. I have almost 2x the hp, more physical attack, and can do almost anything a bm can. I like pvp alot better with a barb, because I can actually take a hit and wiz's dont 3 shot me like bm's.

You can do almost anything a BM can do, except what makes a BM being a BM. You fail at that. And i can do almost anything a barb can do, but not what makes a barb being a barb. I fail at that.

So its all about having fun and personal preference... and playing barb drove me nuts... poking a mob 2 mins and see it die it was soooo not fun. Yeah, i can't die because of my insane HP...yay me... doesn't make it any funnier for me.
  • Bladespelll - Heavens Tear
    Bladespelll - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Well i originally played a BM thinking that it was the tanking class, then i was informed that it actually is Barbs who are more of a tanking class(my opinion not total fact) so i rerolled it. I have loved my barb but i enjoy the damage output of BMs. So my advice is just do what you like to do and have fun!
    With His Armor(Ephesians 6:13), I go into battle.
  • Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I gotta aggree with Bladespelll. Do whats fun to you. A lotta the barbs in my guild actually enjoy tanking. Me, I can tank, and its kinda fun, but its just not my thing. But seein 10-12+ mobs die all at once? Now thats fun. Plus, i like how BMs can do different stuff based on what weapons they use. From my experience with a barb, youre pretty much locked into 2 different styles of play, based on wether you use your humanoid or tiger forms. Being a barb just aint my thing.
  • KimEunMi - Dreamweaver
    KimEunMi - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    My first character in PW was a BM, and since, I've always preferred BMs. I made a Veno, a Wizard, and a Cleric recently, but playing them just felt really strange. Veno is my highest-level alt at level 14, while my Wizard and Cleric are levels 4 and 5 respectively.

Veno's okay, but I got bored with it pretty fast...not really considering making a Barb either. Someday maybe, but not now.

There needs to be more love for female BMs.b:victory Whenever I play the game I never really come across any.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]