Question about the wizard class

2»

Comments

• Thrasymachus - Sanctuary
    Thrasymachus - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    On a pvp server, you don't always get the choice to pvp or not. Thus, many prefer LA for the additional survivability when they get jumped. That's not an issue on a pve server, so your extra survivability is against mobs. IMO LA can be an impediment to really learning the wizard class, because you don't have to kite mobs as much or as hard, you can afford to take that extra hit. But AA forces you to really learn to kite and dd from very early on, so you become much more of a powerhouse when you don't have to later on. But this is really the LA vs AA debate again, and to each their own, really.
  • Mahdust - Harshlands
    Mahdust - Harshlands Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    b:shocked
    does that mean me am playing the wizard class incorrectly?
    b:infuriated
    lols

Sneaking up on people and using an ult counts as correct, its ok. :D
    On a pvp server, you don't always get the choice to pvp or not. Thus, many prefer LA for the additional survivability when they get jumped. That's not an issue on a pve server, so your extra survivability is against mobs. IMO LA can be an impediment to really learning the wizard class, because you don't have to kite mobs as much or as hard, you can afford to take that extra hit. But AA forces you to really learn to kite and dd from very early on, so you become much more of a powerhouse when you don't have to later on. But this is really the LA vs AA debate again, and to each their own, really.

I don't know how it is on lost city, but on HL as long as you're white named people pretty much leave you alone. The most that will happen is someone will go pink punching me and try and get me to attack, but it would be pretty stupid of me to pick a fight with anyone that close. :P

Just remember as long as you're white you don't lose xp and you don't drop anything (except in extremely rare cases :P).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Naeva - Sanctuary
    Naeva - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    But is it possible to manage "ok" with a LA in the PVE server, since I can't afford buying "resetting-points-stuff" (gah, don't know the name) for real money and I have worked some to get my WIZ to lv 29 (I am a slow lv person) it feels kind of harsh to delete this one and restart from scratch again.
  • Thrasymachus - Sanctuary
    Thrasymachus - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I wouldn't really worry about it until you start getting into your higher levels. You don't have to spend any real money to buy reset scrolls, just grind coin, buy gold with that coin, then buy the scroll. This will be a lot easier when you get to higher levels, and the difference between LA and AA is almost insignificant at lower levels, except in terms of pdef. It's just something to keep in mind as you level, that you'll probably want to restat eventually.

And I believe you can still wear AA your level if you stat for LA, so if you decide to switch to AA, you can just stop putting those extra points in dex, and stop putting points in str for about 30 levels and put them all in mag instead. You've already put about 30 points in dex, and about 15 more points in str than you need for AA your level. Since you can recoup those str points as you level, and those 30 points in dex won't make too terribly big a difference if they were put in mag instead and further they increase your crit %, you're still at a low enough level that you can change your mind, imo. You'll be a little bit more gimpy than the pure AA user who started that way (too much str, 30 points in dex, and not enough mag) when you first switch like that, but will catch up fairly quickly. Eventually, when you get +crit gears, you'll want those dex points back, but by then, you should be grinding more than enough money to buy a reset scroll.

But really, lvl 30 up to probably lvl 60 are some of the hardest lvls for a wiz to endure, so there's not much sense in gimping yourself even a little during those levels either. LA will survive them better than AA, and the damage difference, though growing, is hardly enough to justify a change. LA is a perfectly fine choice that just makes slightly less sense on a PvE server, but can still be good at helping you survive those tough archer mobs, or if you get yourself into a difficult situation. It's got a wider margin of error, so it can even be the best choice for someone who's easily frustrated, or has trouble figuring out the best strategy for killing different mobs. Personally, it's not my choice for learning the class because of the wider margin of error; it lets newbs develop less disciplined strategies instead of always having to think about what they're doing, and since you die less, you have less time to think about how you could improve while you're regenning.
  • Naeva - Sanctuary
    Naeva - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I see, then I think I will wait until I reach higher lvs before considering using reset scrolls to switch to AA. Changing to AA to early maybe isn't the best solution for me, when training I need some space for errors, that way I will be able to learn more before I change to AA. Probably you will learn faster from being a AA from the beginning, but I think it is a matter which depends how you are as a person.