which beetle

Options
Neylyana - Lost City
Neylyana - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Venomancer
I'm gonna get new beetle ppet and i'm wondering if i choose: Astral Beetle (Hept-, Pent-, Quadr-) or Qingfu (Emerald, Jaden, Verdant). Which one is better in Magic def? Is there any other pet that has much better magic def?
Post edited by Neylyana - Lost City on

Comments

• WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    At your level you should be able to afford the shaodu cub who has the most well rounded of defenses. An anstral beetle/qingfu are just poor man's substitutes for shaodu as is, so utilize these drops while you can, get some $ and get a shaodu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I'm gonna get new beetle ppet and i'm wondering if i choose: Astral Beetle (Hept-, Pent-, Quadr-) or Qingfu (Emerald, Jaden, Verdant). Which one is better in Magic def? Is there any other pet that has much better magic def?
    The astral beetles are basically poor man's cubs. About the same pdef as a cub, moderately lower mdef than a cub, and the same poor attack as a cub.

The qingfus are good magmite alternatives. Very good pdef (slightly better than the astral, though nowhere near as good as a magmite), poor mdef (much worse than an astral, though still pretty good, and nowhere near as bad as a magmite), and very good attack (moderately less than a magmite). Due to their higher attack and lower mdef, they are not a cub alternative.

There are lots of pets with better mdef, but they all involve some sort of compromise. Take a look at antelopes (poor pdef, low hp), carapests (poor pdef, not so low hp), and low-level penguins (decent pdef, low hp, nearly as good mdef, lower attack than the other two).

If you really want to level with a low-level pet, personally I'd go with a qingfu. You'll have to pay to put an aggro skill on it. And I like the color of the qingfus at Cit of Lost the least. b:chuckle But if you're looking for something with a decent balance of attack, pdef, and mdef, take a look at the guardian wolf/lunar lupin, frog, or penguin.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Gotta weigh the cost of skills when considering cost of a pet. A low level beetle isn't gonna come with the same value of skills as a Cub. Some of the rares can be worth the cost for the value of skills alone. Negative value if you have to remove them.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.