How do you Grind effectively as a cleric

Aelebera - Heavens Tear
Aelebera - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Cleric
Im just wondering how you people grind effectively as a cleric

I find that im casting Wield Thunder-cyclone, then running away while casting cyclone to keep slowing the creeps down

while effective, its slow, and kinda irritating to do

any other ideas on how to grind without it being such a pain ?

( keep in mind im using a 8-1-1 build, so i am rather squishy and have little physical defense to speak of )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Aelebera - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• RezzErection - Harshlands
    RezzErection - Harshlands Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you got wt at lvl 19 0.o
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you got wt at lvl 19 0.o

^ This ^ b:shocked

IF you are using Wield Thunder, what level is your other character? This skill is not available until level 45 (?) roughly.

Cleric grinding depends on what mobs you are going for, especially once you get into aoe in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    you got wt at lvl 19 0.o

maybe he meant thunderball o.o

best way to grind:

well 1st off.. at lvl 19 u dont need to grind, do your quests.

2nd. Find a Blademaster to grind with, use him as your meatshield and heal him.
  • Aelebera - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    you got wt at lvl 19 0.o

ermm,..... Thunderball 0.o

the one you get at level 16 that does damage over time :P

regardless, my question remains the same
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009

best way to grind:

well 1st off.. at lvl 19 u dont need to grind, do your quests.

2nd. Find a Blademaster to grind with, use him as your meatshield and heal him.

current quest requires me to kill 90 level 20 monsters, so thats grinding to me

and personally ,i prefer to solo when possible, its just kinda slow, and i was hoping there was a more effective way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    current quest requires me to kill 90 level 20 monsters, so thats grinding to me

and personally ,i prefer to solo when possible, its just kinda slow, and i was hoping there was a more effective way

at your level its slow. I personally squaded with people doing the same quest to finish as soon as possible.

Faster quests = Faster leveling
    edited November 2009
    at your level its slow. I personally squaded with people doing the same quest to finish as soon as possible.

Faster quests = Faster leveling

when you squad, do you both get credit for each kill , or do you need to kill twice as many monsters ?

i have been making that thing at the apothocary that increases health regen by 50/second ( the name escapes me now ) which helps me tank them out, but even though i farm my own mats, its wasted gold :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited November 2009

b:shocked

Ok....well makes more sense then. But Thunderball b:surrender
    when you squad, do you both get credit for each kill , or do you need to kill twice as many monsters ?

i have been making that thing at the apothocary that increases health regen by 50/second ( the name escapes me now ) which helps me tank them out, but even though i farm my own mats, its wasted gold :\

When you squad, the exp is "split" between the squad members and if on the same quest, yes you will both get kill credit. (there are some quests that are odd in that one may get credit and the other not, but usually people will stay until all party members have the quest completed)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    edited November 2009

all squad members get the credit for the mobs killed "if you are close enough to each other. Dont spread out too much" (like to the point where you cant see each other)

and for pots, as you mentioned you take more time farming mats. I wouldnt bother with them.

and like rose stated(kinda).. thunderball is a **** skill. 2nd most useless skill only to blessing of the purehearted.
    edited November 2009

When you squad, the exp is "split" between the squad members.

its not the exp that concerns me, but when the quest says "kill x monsters", do we both get credit for each kill, or does only 1 person get credit for the kill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    its not the exp that concerns me, but when the quest says "kill x monsters", do we both get credit for each kill, or does only 1 person get credit for the kill

I answered....you quoted after I added that part.

But yes both will get kill credit except in some "odd" drop quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Newyn - Heavens Tear
    Newyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    all kills in the squad that is close enough counts. If u se the mob in the mini map u get the kill mostly.
    To Lazy to make 1. b:infuriated
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I answered....

so did i x_x, you all get credit for the same mob killed.
    edited November 2009

When you squad, the exp is "split" between the squad members and if on the same quest, yes you will both get kill credit. (there are some quests that are odd in that one may get credit and the other not, but usually people will stay until all party members have the quest completed)

thanks everyone

so either squad up, or just go slow i guess 0.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamcleric
    iamcleric Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Thunderball is not useless. Gives damage over time, sometimes saving you the extra 1 last hit (saving on MP at the same time). Useful also on those with high HP mobs (or other classes).

Sage Blessing of the Purehearted saves on MP as well as healing a huge amount of HP. Pretty useful on sudden dip of HP when you have time to cast or when you anticipate a sudden dip.

As far as grinding and levelling goes, squadding up and completing quests quickly is a fast way to level. Going pure MAG with minimum requirement for STR to equip armor and weapons will also give you an edge as you quickly kill mobs. You can later on add VIT if you want, but going pure MAG and relying on your armor VIT and HP add-ons, HP/Pdef shards, and refinements will give you high HP with HIGH DAMAGE.

Yes, I am pure MAG with more than 5k hp unbuffed (only one armor is +5, the rest is +2 or +1 refined). Awesome damage, decent Physical def (that is without BM pdef buff yet), great survivability and healing in TT/Rebirth delta.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    iamcleric wrote: »
    Sage Blessing of the Purehearted saves on MP as well as healing a huge amount of HP. Pretty useful on sudden dip of HP when you have time to cast or when you anticipate a sudden dip.

You can cast a WellSpring and 2 IH in the same time as it would take you to cast PureHearted b:surrender

^ The above would yield you an extra 2k heal at the minimum (I am too lazy to do the math) and a heal over time.

The MP save is ok but most would rather survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    iamcleric wrote: »
    Thunderball is not useless. Gives damage over time, sometimes saving you the extra 1 last hit (saving on MP at the same time). Useful also on those with high HP mobs (or other classes).
    it takes way too long to cast for the little damage to make up for it. Not to mention it takes more mana than cyclone and plumeshot. So it doesnt save on MP because of
    a. the ammount of mana needed to cast.
    b. the time it takes to cast

It might save on mana. But 3 Wellsprings heal about the same, if not more hp than 1 blessing of the purehearted, in about the same ammount of time.
    10charsblah
    edited November 2009
    well, i use thunderball as an open, after that its totally worthless
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anikia - Dreamweaver
    Anikia - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Thunder ball isn't a bad opener but I find it less and less useful as I level. I wouldn't recommend leveling it up because you will soon be getting a lot of really useful skills and be hurting for spirit points. I wish I could un-level some skills b:surrender

It's better if you can find a squad but sometimes you can't find people that want to party or you just want to do it alone. I have a different strategy for each monster type (magic resistant, increased life, . . .) this is what I usually do.

Normal Monster: I start with whirlwind for the slow effect and then use plume shot and then whirlwind again, basically switching back and forth between those two skills. That usually kills it before it hits me but if its still not dead and gets close enough to hit you stack 1-2 Iron Hearts on your self and then continue attacking with plum and whirlwind.

Increased Life: I start out the same as above but once the monster gets close to me I cast plume shell (be careful this will suck up all your mana so make sure to have pots!) and then stack about 3-4 Iron Hearts and then attack till it dies.

Magic resistance: Ill start off with a whirlwind just to have the slow effect and then spam Plume shot (plume shot does physical damage not magical b:cute) If you don't kill it before its in range to hit you stack a 1-2 Iron Hearts and then spam plume again.

Also look for monsters that are weak or a sacrifice (forgot exactly whats it called). They die in about 3 hits.

I am still a low level but I find that those strategy usually keep me from dying and get the job done. Be very careful with ranged monsters I always stack about 2 iron hearts on myself before I start attacking a ranged monsters and then continue stacking it on myself. If you get a lot of monsters on you at once don't be afraid to cast plume shell and then run away.

In case you didn't read my huge wall of text use plume shell and heal yourself. I have seen a lot of clerics just keep attacking something and never heal themselves and end up dying. You have a lot of survival skills use 'em b:victory
    edited November 2009
    thanks for the help

i admit, i dont heal much, as i prefer to try to tank it out and kill them fast

not dead yet, but on the level 15 boss, i finished with about 50 hp left and no mp :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anikia - Dreamweaver
    Anikia - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Well I probably over heal myself but Ive also only died twice in my time of playing. The two times I did die was when me and a friend where playing with the emticon action things next to a boss spawn spot :p. And try to keep up with your buffs those things are life savers!
  • Campbell - Lost City
    Campbell - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Grind wood based magic mobs, Vipons are a great mob to grind. I have killed so many vipons in pw its not even remotely funny. Plus vipons drop enough that you can keep yourself supplied in pots. I buy 100 mana pots, go grind vipons untill I run out and then go buy more. Most the time I can turn a small profit doing this. If you choose to grind physical attacking mobs you will probably find your self spending alot on pots/charms and turning no profit. As for attacks I never use anything but cyclone and plume shot on vipons, just create a macro with a great cyclone and plume shot x5 and it makes grinding simple, one click and you do cyclone and plume shot combo 5 times this enables you to focus on using mana pots asap. Because vipons have a spell that drains mana, but if you can use them pots asap your mana can keep up.
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I never started grinding until I hit my mid 70's. I just complete all quests I get and do the hourly quest of the justice envoy. I usually use powders or keep killing until I run out of MP then I'll go harvest some mats until my MP bar is full, or just meditate somewhere and do something else. You won't progress in financial terms if you keep buying pots, I buy pots once a week and it's never more than 50. But if you are a cash user, then go ahead.
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Highestelf - Heavens Tear
    Highestelf - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    All comments regarding Thunderball are opinions - none of them bad or wrong!

Think about it.... "Any" damage to mob/boss over time is a PLUS!!!!

Using it as opener, followed by cyclone to slow mob balances out the casting lag.

I use Thunderball as opener religiously.

I usually wait to see how hard a mob hits before I use Plume shell - it burns mp fast!

I cast Thunderball, Then cycle thru Cyclone and plume shot - Cyclone should wield more damage than Plume shot but use plume shot while cyclone is in cooldown.

If mob hits hard I will stack 2 or 3 Ironhearts before Plume shell fades.

Powders are your best friend. HP/MP regeneration powders save a ton of money!

At lvl 25 you can start using the low grade Yuanxiao for MP/HP.
    These are far more economical than ANY charm or pot.

Herb Yuanxiao is 5000 mp in 10 sec. under 1500 coin each these are almost 25% cost per mp unit than any charm and restores more MP than any pot you can use!

I use Yuanxiao exclusively and "Never" run into issues of not keeping up with MP burn.

On lengthy boss kills I use MP/HP regen powders and saves me **** load of MP/HP burn.

Anyone familiar with the req lvl 25 Yuanxiao names plz provide for clarification.

One more thing - squading on quests has always sucked for me - others seem to get drops and I have nothing to sell to recoup expenses from repairs and MP/HP costs.

Squad "Only" on mobs you really need help with - the loss of exp and Drops is offset by getting the difficult quest behind you.
  • rst777
    rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    make these two macros and you are good to go for a very long time (im still using them at 73)
    macro 1: cyc, ps, IB, cyc, ps, cyc, ps, cyc
    macro 2:cyc, ps, cyc, ps, cyc, ps, cyc
    use macro 1 when the mob can actually hurt you (strong phys mobs or archer type mobs, or mobs with bonuses like hp up or def up) your hp will be full at end of fight and mob will be dead. end of story. move on to next mob.
    use macro 2 on everyone else. at most you might need a wellspring afterward.
    i dont think its possible to be more mana, or time, efficient than that.
    if you die while doing this, you are doing something wrong.
    edited November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndroidXVI - Sanctuary
    AndroidXVI - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Just spam IH on yourself and you should be mint
    Tell Eos we tried ... but sniper on stone crusher.
  • Weiste - Harshlands
    Weiste - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    rst777 is so spot on it ain't even funny
    edited November 2009
    i made some macros, quite nice actually

thanks for the advice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HieiCleric - Lost City
    HieiCleric - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    and like rose stated(kinda).. thunderball is a **** skill. 2nd most useless skill only to blessing of the purehearted.

not true... it is the most useless skill. Blessing can be used as a good chi builder. 15 chi per cast doesnt even show on ur mp bar due to regen. its already restored by the time ur done casting.
    If you attack some random monster, then all of its friends will come over to attack you back. And if a Cleric throws a heal at you, all of those friends will then hate the cleric more than you, and so will rush over to kill the Cleric. Who will hate you forever.