Sapphire shards make no sense?

woland
woland Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
I was wondering (no tests yet, just pure hypothetical thinking):

Sapphire shards give me +matk. I'm a veno, so this +matk, with any of my skills would be +wood attack. Now shards that give +wood attack:
- are cheaper
- give a bigger bonus.

So instead of putting a perfect sapphire to my weapon, wouldn't it just make more sense to imbue a +wood attack shard?

The same goes to cleric - why sapphire, when you can get +metal attack?

And here goes another question. If Cleric attacks with metal and Veno with wood - are cleric's healing skills and veno's pet heal also metal/wood and therefore affected with +wood/metal shards?

Anyone did the tests? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Because elemental shards only add damage to normal-non-skill-physical attacks. AKA, running up to the mob and doing physical damage to it.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Elemental shards only add to run-of-the-mill auto attacks. Like when you have a BM and you double click on a mob. It doesn't affect anything other than that.

Sorry. >>
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Because elemental shards only add damage to normal-non-skill-physical attacks. AKA, running up to the mob and doing physical damage to it.

This. Only relatively useful for BMs, Barbs, and Archers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As a Cleric I wouldnt use any metal shards at all, they only influence but a few of my skills and the rest will get neglected. Heals, plume shot and razor feathers are influenced by mag/mag attack which makes the use of metal shards obsolete. I don't know Veno's though :p But using wood shards would reduce the amount of your pet heal, that;s all I know.
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Juggernaut - Harshlands
    Juggernaut - Harshlands Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    This. Only relatively useful for BMs, Barbs, and Archers.

I wouldn't even say that... The only gems you should really have in your weapon are Sapphire, Garnet, or Amber.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mirabeth - Sanctuary
    Mirabeth - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As has been said, cleric heals are not based on metal damage but on magic attack. The higher your magic attack, the stronger your heal. And not all of our skills are purely metal-based. We have a couple of physical attack skills that are based off of magic attack as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Skybelle for the wonderful sig

Where did you go, where did you go? How did you know to get out of a world gone mad? Help me let go of the chaos around me, the devil that hounds me. I need you to tell me "Child be still". If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?
  • TehMage - Lost City
    TehMage - Lost City Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As has been said, cleric heals are not based on metal damage but on magic attack. The higher your magic attack, the stronger your heal. And not all of our skills are purely metal-based. We have a couple of physical attack skills that are based off of magic attack as well.

If I'm not mistaken cleric heals are effected by your base magic attack.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I wouldn't even say that... The only gems you should really have in your weapon are Sapphire, Garnet, or Amber.

Oh? I paid 100k for a perfect alabaster that I imbued. More matk would be wasted. More patk with Garnet would be much more expensive. Also, non Saphire count higher as dmg percentage with patks being faster.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mirabeth - Sanctuary
    Mirabeth - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    If I'm not mistaken cleric heals are effected by your base magic attack.

They are. But the point I was making was they are not based off metal damage. Our damage is based off our magic attack. Metal is just the elemental damage we do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Skybelle for the wonderful sig

Where did you go, where did you go? How did you know to get out of a world gone mad? Help me let go of the chaos around me, the devil that hounds me. I need you to tell me "Child be still". If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?
  • PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    read the skill description carefuly

it give wood dmg based on magik dmg
    not
    it give wood dmg based on wood dmg

so more m attk give u more dmg and more heal for your pet

i never found any use of elemental shard otehr then to make strong elemental armor set against for exemple water when u aoe fish
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Oh? I paid 100k for a perfect alabaster that I imbued. More matk would be wasted. More patk with Garnet would be much more expensive. Also, non Saphire count higher as dmg percentage with patks being faster.
    Keep in mind that elemental shard damage just gets added on top of your melee damage, while garnets get thrown into the formula for p.atk (i.e. your str, weapon mastery, and sparks multiply the garnets' value).

The two melee classes have weapon mastery and skills which do up to 200% weapon damage, multiplying the benefit of garnets while elemental shards get no additional benefit. They and the heavy veno also have high enough str (which also act as a multiplier) that the benefit from garnets exceeds that of similarly priced elemental shards. Sparks also act the same way, multiplying the effect of garnets while elemental shards are unaffected.

When I ran the numbers, the only class which could potentially benefit more from cheap elemental shards is a light or arcane veno meleeing in fox form without using sparks (IIRC, that's what your build is, which is why I never questioned the alabaster shard on your weapon). Factor in melee mastery and a flawless garnet vs. a perfect elemental shard, the garnet becomes better at around 80+ str.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Nice to know the math confirms my thoughts. -TY. If I'm able to steal aggro from Herc, I'm happy (prefer PvE). In both fox and mage I can do that.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.