Prevent Account Hacking And Hijacking

2»

Comments

• Shadow_Katee - Heavens Tear
    Shadow_Katee - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You want to have very coplexe and unbreakable password... just let cat run throught keyboard during pass typing b:chuckle.

But jokes aside, it is true that around 90% "hacking" in game are result of more or less account sharing and 10 % <if not less> are true hackings however after watching couple debates about net security on other game forums as well i am little shocked how ignorant some people could be.

I was taught that golden rule which i should use during internet activity is
    "GUARD YUR PASSWORDS LIKE GOLD IN FORT KNOX AND NEVER EVER SHARE EVEN A ONE WORD WHICH CAN COMPROMISE YOUR ACCOUNT SAFETY".

But there always be a people wo will say "yea, yea whatever..." and when thier account will fail in hand of thief they will run to GMs and cry "that <insert unproper word here> **** my account but i trusted him/ her sooo much..."
    So to end i can only ask.
    "Start thinking people... this really do not hurt".
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    Foltern - Sanctuary Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    b:chuckle
    humans especially lack teh common sense.
    b:shocked

yay ty for this thread. me hope many read it and learn. d(^.-d)
    me vote for sticky. b:victory

Thank you. A sticky would be great.

Regards
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    Foltern - Sanctuary Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    12. Consider using password management software to make this easy on you.

Keypass is an example of a good program to use. It's the program I have always used.

1. It is a free program
    2. No spam, Adware, Adverts, Popups, Registration etc.
    3. It stores any passwords you have inside an encrypted file.
    4. It generates random passwords for you up to any reasonable length ( 30,000 ) and meet any complexity requirements ( Capitol characters, Lowercase, Letters, Numbers, Special characters, Brackets,Minus, Underscore, Spaces. It can generate passwords based on random mouse input.
    5. It can automatically type passwords for you. And more.

Call me dumb, but I can't execute all those tips together. Simply because I could not remember a very complexe password without writing it down somewhere (not on my pc ofc). Also I have the problem that any dam internet thing requires a password and I have to remember them all and find new ones everytime. Would I take a random number-symbol-letter password I could not enter when I am not at home or lost the paper where I wrote them down. That's why I generate my passwords differently (won't tell how ofc) not including symbols, each be unique and good to remember.

I want to add: Never share your login name as well, makes it much harder to pick your account as possible target.

So far I was well with having many different passwords letters&numbers and not telling anybody about anything.

Thank you for your reply and your insight. The 12th guideline suggests to use password management software so that you do not have to commit your passwords to memory in any way. Keypass is a great program for this.

I did not edit the post to include the username nor did I respond to the other user regarding usernames. Many times the username is either already known or public information. For example: Email addresses and instant message client usernames will have the same username when you actually log into your account. It is the password that usually makes the account secure, not the username. Of course if your username is unknown to the public, you should not share it and it should be just as sacred as your password.

If other users request I refine the document I will change it to include this information about usernames.

Regards
  • Blds - Lost City
    Blds - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I love it when idiots have their account name be the same as their Main's name; those people are the ones who are asking for it/deserve it
    9x Sage Wizard

Free to play! b:laugh
    Pay to win.b:cry