Providing reasons when a thread is locked

Falcondance - Heavens Tear
Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Chronicles
Hey eatwithspoons and other GMs, don't get me wrong here, I like your upbeat activity on the forums very much. :D But I've been noticing a bit of a trend, and that's where I see a thread asking a legitimate question, and it is locked with only the comment 'less spam posts please' or something of the like. The only reason I can think of this happening is because the poster is low-levelled, which I do not think is fair at all. This may not be the case, but it's my observation.

For example, a player making a topic about the strength of a Heavy Armor Cleric in PvP. It's not too hard to see that a cleric like that would not have much going for it, but there wasn't a reason provided at all for its locking besides that it was a spam post.

The following is all speculation : I suspect that you may possibly be taking the advice of other players about which threads deserve locking and why, and as the number of locked posts increase, I'd like to suggest to the GMs that if this is the case (and if they are not already doing this) to use their own judgement more in the locking of these threads. And if you are indeed conducting investigations before these threads are closed, it would be appreciated if there was a clearer reason provided so that the lock-ee would not be completely lost as to why their thread was closed.

I know that's a lot of work to someone who might have a 50% chance of being a troll, but the current system is just a bad aftertaste to someone who has a 50% chance of being a new player, taking a look at new builds.

Thread was not written to be an attack, just a statement.

Thanks. ^^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
Sig pic by Nowitsawn
Post edited by Falcondance - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    It isn't that the poster is low leveled. It's that often enough that's the alt of a high level, just out trolling for reactions. If it's on the same account as their main the GMs can even see that it's just a troll, so they get locked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    Ixiel - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    The thread I assume you're referring to in the PvP forum was not posted by a lvl 2, rather it was posted by a lvl 5x who has over 110 posts.

So I'm not seeing your point about the whole "low level players" thing. O.o

Unless the same thread was posted elsewhere by a lvl2. In which case I can see why it was locked for spam. :D
    A B and C, abandoned but controlled.
    M can't you see? Half of me was sold.
    X Y and Z, Xerox your zombies then
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I don't know why that thread had been locked either, it could have went into some nice discussion about Heavy Clerics and the benefits/cons of the build in PK. :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Alot of these posts by 'noobs' are repeat threads, troll alt threads, and tards looking to get a rise out of people. How many times do people need it driven through their heads we will -not- get new servers, or 50 free gold on the new update before theyll finally get it? 'Legit' questions dont exist 905 of the time :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    The thread I assume you're referring to in the PvP forum was not posted by a lvl 2, rather it was posted by a lvl 5x who has over 110 posts.

Unless the same thread was posted elsewhere by a lvl2. In which case I can see why it was locked for spam. :D

Very true, I confused it with another locked post made by a lvl2. I'll edit, but if it was made by a level 5x with 110+ posts, then it would logically have even less reason to be locked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
    edited October 2009
    Alot of these posts by 'noobs' are repeat threads, troll alt threads, and tards looking to get a rise out of people. How many times do people need it driven through their heads we will -not- get new servers, or 50 free gold on the new update before theyll finally get it? 'Legit' questions dont exist 905 of the time :P

True, I see your point, but who decided whether making post about a cleric with Heavy Armor made that post lockable? >>

It's just that these posts that are being locked could so easily be legit questions. There's just no reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009

err 5x is a low level.
    lol. b:cold
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    err 5x is a low level.
    lol.

More mid-level. I consider "low" level 30 and lower.
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Disappear - Lost City
    Disappear - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    tl;dr reported for a flame-bait topic.
    edited October 2009
    tl;dr reported for a flame-bait topic.

tl;dr Thanks for getting GM attention faster. ^^;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    tl;dr Thanks for getting GM attention faster. ^^;

You missed the concept of tl;dr. b:surrender

On topic, I've only once seen a thread locked for no good reason, and that was just because the GM misunderstood what the OP was trying to say. And by the time it was locked the question was answered anyway, so it didn't make a difference. Locks aren't pointless; if a question has been asked and answered multiple times, or the topic is only there to incite flames, it's locked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    edited October 2009
    You missed the concept of tl;dr. b:surrender

On topic, I've only once seen a thread locked for no good reason, and that was just because the GM misunderstood what the OP was trying to say. And by the time it was locked the question was answered anyway, so it didn't make a difference. Locks aren't pointless; if a question has been asked and answered multiple times, or the topic is only there to incite flames, it's locked.

THAT one is a special tl;dr. Instead of too long; didn't read, this one is Too lame; did rage.

[/adlib]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    THAT one is a special tl;dr. Instead of too long; didn't read, this one is Too lame; did rage.

[/adlib]

Protip: Never admit you raged. Then the trolls win. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Protip: Never admit you raged. Then the trolls win. b:surrender

Don't do it~
    D:
    you will make me cry~
    (T.T)'
    now me want you to call ceiling cat. (>.<)'
    funny-pictures-ceiling-cat-laptop-lolbible.jpg
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Absoluth - Heavens Tear
    Absoluth - Heavens Tear Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Some threads clearly deserve closing for not making much sense or are simply rants or unnecessary spamming. Others however, get locked because the GMs simply dont know (or dont want to) how to answer a question and gives that vague reply+lock combo and/or gives a link to some old thread. Whats funny is that if we post in a thread like 5 days old or more, they lock it with the reason of 'necro'.

Personally, i think the moderation on this forum is horrible. Most of the times the players get no assistance or threads get locked for the slighest possibility of it having any 'flame' towards PWE. I remember even some threads that get locked out of nowhere and GM saying "this might have flaming in the future, so ill lock it now". Its impressive. Meanwhile, we have offensive threads like these http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=483402 that are simply left untouched when it should've been locked instantly.

What bothers me most is that this forum leaves no room for any disussion. Whenever the players want to debate an interesting topic about the game, GMs either dissapear or give the vague answer+lock combo. Their lack of game knowledge amazes me. Almost nothing is answered.

Lets not forget also the increasing number of posts/threads bing flat-out deleted. I dont think theres anything more ignorant than a GM/Mod burning comunication like that, be it flame or whatever message the poster is giving. Whatever happened to editing the poor content without destroying the entire content of the post?
    PWI:
    "Free to play. Pay to win"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Some threads clearly deserve closing for not making much sense or are simply rants or unnecessary spamming. Others however, get locked because the GMs simply dont know (or dont want to) how to answer a question and gives that vague reply+lock combo and/or gives a link to some old thread. Whats funny is that if we post in a thread like 5 days old or more, they lock it with the reason of 'necro'.

Personally, i think the moderation on this forum is horrible. Most of the times the players get no assistance or threads get locked for the slighest possibility of it having any 'flame' towards PWE. I remember even some threads that get locked out of nowhere and GM saying "this might have flaming in the future, so ill lock it now". Its impressive. Meanwhile, we have offensive threads like these http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=483402 that are simply left untouched when it should've been locked instantly.

What bothers me most is that this forum leaves no room for any disussion. Whenever the players want to debate an interesting topic about the game, GMs either dissapear or give the vague answer+lock combo. Their lack of game knowledge amazes me. Almost nothing is answered.

Lets not forget also the increasing number of posts/threads bing flat-out deleted. I dont think theres anything more ignorant than a GM/Mod burning comunication like that, be it flame or whatever message the poster is giving. Whatever happened to editing the poor content without destroying the entire content of the post?

I agree with everything that was said here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Some questions are unable to be answered by the GMs - such as release dates, content, bug fixes etc for the simple reason that they don't know themselves yet. A lot of this stuff comes from outside the office and they know about it when they get it. Other stuff is topsykret and even if they wanted to, they couldn't share. I'm not sure that I've seen a legit question about how to play a class or something, get shot down without due cause. Often when a thread is locked, it's not even the fault of the OP - thread hijackers are in operation, making everything about them...
    There are very few moderators on this forum, given its size. And those that do moderate here, are also moderators on other PWE sites. For that reason alone, not everything is going to be caught. And the moderators will often try to make their job easier by preventing potential problems arising before they happen. There is no "report" function on this forum, and I'm sure things would improve a lot if there was. Other than pointing that thread out here, did you go and report it for moderator attention? A simple pm to one of them probably would have done the trick.

Also, you have to remember that PWE is a company that is trying to make money. If it allowed people to continuously post negative remarks about it, and let the discussion degrade into a company bash fest, it really wouldn't help their image to potential new customers. Bitching is all very well and good, but most of the posts/threads that get locked do not contain any hint of evidence as to having thought out a well balanced argument, or provide any suggestion as to a solution to the problem. What good do these threads therefore serve, other than to let people let off a bit of steam by raging at the GMs? If you're looking for a forum in which to do that, try some fan sites!
    I have seen plenty of discussion occurring on this forum. This forum is actually quite lenient on what it lets its members discuss compared to other games' forums. Remember that GMs are human and work office hours. So this "dissappearance" could just coincide with them going home for a snooze. Or, as stated above, the fact that they either don't have the information to divulge, or do, but can't say anything.
    I don't know of any forum that flat out deletes threads. They're often moved to a forum that's not in public view for review. This generally only happens when there's something that deserves a ban that's been posted. If that content is edited, then there's no evidence on which to base the ban.

And I say the above as a former forum mod for another game. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (and the grey hairs from being constantly hated on... b:surrender)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    when something negative has been said about the game that has no basis, often the player community will come to the defense of the game. there's never a time when something completely out of whack gets said and people let the poster alone about it. remember the "supply stash not really free" thread? immediately there was "quit QQing you don't have to open them" all over the thread.

it's only when something gets said and enough people agree that there is a problem when you have a collective negative air about the company going on. that should indicate that something is really wrong and someone should look into it. even then, some players will quickly point out the irrational in people's arguments, such as that it is not the GMs fault for certain happenings in-game, or that the game may still be fine, or that there are ways to get around it.

all in all, i do believe you can pm a mod for re-open if you have enough reason for it
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Morganna - Lost City
    Morganna - Lost City Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    More mid-level. I consider "low" level 30 and lower.

Agreed. I see 30 and lower as low level, 50-60 as mid and 70+ as high level. 70 is a lower 'high' level though, but considering the nature of my server, probably 40% or less of the people who start a char actually get any to 70, since they get burned out with pk or grinding or what-have-you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Your multi-tasking, Stephanie, is EPIC." --Aadi
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
    edited October 2009
    Agreed. I see 30 and lower as low level, 50-60 as mid and 70+ as high level. 70 is a lower 'high' level though, but considering the nature of my server, probably 40% or less of the people who start a char actually get any to 70, since they get burned out with pk or grinding or what-have-you.

me consider 80-90 mid.
    1-69 low.
    70-79 low-mid.
    90+ = high.
    100+ = end game
    b:victory
    moderator-cat.jpg
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2009

QFT. i agree completely.

edit: actually, i disagree with that thread you linked to being "offensive". its clearly a joke, and having it locked/the person repremanded for "flaming" or being offensive would be a perversion of the TOS and an abuse of power exerted by gms or anybody who might have pmd the gm demanding the thread be shut down.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Out of curiosity I took a look at the locked topic and I see absolutely no reason why it should be locked. The only thing I can think of is the OP has been going a little spam-happy posting lately, but that doesn't mean they suddenly deserve legitimate topics instant-locked while many other trolls roam the forums free.

Also, I have a HA cleric. The class is referred to by some as a "Paladin", is rarely used and little known of, sucks in PvP, performs very nicely in PvE and is as fun as heck to use (fun playing your class being something that needs to be encouraged in this game). Basically a nerfed BM with buffs and heals. So...why the lock?
  • Absoluth - Heavens Tear
    Absoluth - Heavens Tear Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Being it an attention seeking joke or plain out insult, how is that any diferent from the simple "**** pwi" threads with zero discussion points? You think those should be left open aswell? Theres a huge diference between someone throwing a 'shove it' humor post in the middle of a on-going thread and a mere stupid spam thread.
    Also, I have a HA cleric. The class is referred to by some as a "Paladin", is rarely used and little known of, sucks in PvP, performs very nicely in PvE and is as fun as heck to use (fun playing your class being something that needs to be encouraged in this game). Basically a nerfed BM with buffs and heals. So...why the lock?
    Did this make any sense to anybody else?
    PWI:
    "Free to play. Pay to win"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Did this make any sense to anybody else?

Yes. The thread that seemed to "provoke" this thread was in the PvP forums, about HA "attack" Clerics. He's just stating he has one, and some details about the HA Cleric class.
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I see what you mean looking at the thread in question. I know the OP, and I know he wouldn't spam the forums on purpose, so it seems rather odd that his topic would be closed due to spam.

Although, if you look at the threads created that day by the same person, they involved:
    1. An all class herc and nix
    2. Two duplicate threads of each other

So it could have been mistaken for spam given the nature of the most recent posts...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    So it could have been mistaken for spam given the nature of the most recent posts...?

Indeed, not every decision that the mods and admins make are going to be the right call. If this is the case, I'm sure a friendly note to them (in PM) explaining that the thread had not been intended in the way they percieved, would rectify the situation. They're only human after all b:chuckle Perhaps one day RoboMod will take charge of the forums, and will be faultless with each decision that it makes. Until that day however, we have to expect a few mistakes to be made here and there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    Enzio - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Why would a thread be locked for just describing a character? If they want to show how they are building a character so be it. Why stop them?
    Why is the Rum gone? TELL ME NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUb:angry
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    This thread got locked as a necro because someone asked a legitimate question about how to use the formulae in the OP. IMHO it was probably one of the top ten most useful threads in these forums; probably would've been stickied anywhere but in the general discussion forum. But was locked because one of the GMs/mods, who I'm sure are very busy and can't spend much time reading each individual post, mistook it for a necro. He tells the poster to start a new thread asking the question, when the question was about the earlier content of that thread.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=214921

Spoons also has a bad habit of locking question threads immediately after he gives an answer. No chance for followup questions and the thread can't be bumped, so the answer quickly sinks to page 2 where few people will ever see it. And if you make another thread to ask a follow-up question, it hastens the process of bumping the original answer off page 1. Maybe they're afraid of their answers being lost in a really big, multi-page thread. But most boards have a "see only GM/admin posts" option to avoid this problem. They should add it to these forums.
    Some questions are unable to be answered by the GMs - such as release dates, content, bug fixes etc for the simple reason that they don't know themselves yet. A lot of this stuff comes from outside the office and they know about it when they get it. Other stuff is topsykret and even if they wanted to, they couldn't share
    Then the correct answer is, "We don't know." Or as Xarfox gave as the reason for Cube room 27 being broken, "We know, but we can't tell you."
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure why this was posted, sending a PM is much more effective, and then there's one less thread for me to move b:victory
This discussion has been closed.