Slingshot vs xbow

Options
Admante - Dreamweaver
Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Archer
Yeah yeah, there's two other threads on related topic, but I want my own.

So I just bought chained jail in auctions, 2 soc +1. I immediately replaced it with my wind and clouds 2 average garnet +4. To my dismay... Lvl 80 tt xbow did no better than lvl 69 peashooter in speed of kills, perhaps even a bit worse. (I have no -interval gear)

Am I just going to have to stick with WoC for best dps until the 90s? If so, I made a pretty good investment in it then.
Post edited by Admante - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    EDIT: Oh sorry, I misread your post, so my reply was not proper. Short answer: yes, you can use W&C in the 80s. I saw an archer effectively grinding on Undines with a +4 one. He was level 86 or 87, I think.
  • Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear
    Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Personally- and I want to note this very clearly- IMO...

I am using the 69 Wind and Cloud right now. It by far outpowers both my Unicorn and my Thundercrack[yes, I got them all intentionally- no I didn't buy ANY of them], and that is largely due to the fact that it simply shoots faster, and ergo deals more damage.

As for Chained Jail... tbh, I was never a fan of that particular bow's stats- I am getting the Returning Sqall [Interval Between Hits -0.05 seconds, HP +205, Critical Hit Rate +2%]... Obviously, with the same interval buff as the WaC, I'm going to see a damage increase based on the attack stats alone, not to mention the +2% crit rate....

Now, as far a the CJ is concerned... my issue with that bow isn't actually its stats, but the stun buff it's famed for. First off, I would love to see a study on how often it actuall activates [much like the recent study of the CH:S "gloom" rate- that was impressive work, btw...] to determine if it's even worth thinking about. As far as I'm concerned... Archers have Stunning Arrow, Aim Low, and Knockback- using any of those two skills in conjunction with eachother should be enough stopping power for nearly any foe that can be affected by such things. I guess what I'm getting at is that this buff, when compared to the other 80 crossbow buffs, seems to pale in comparison... Unless you look at the Soulfreeze, but really- who does? b:chuckle

Any way you go- best of luck with your selection.
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention, if you are planning on doing Rebirth, then I *think* you want a weapon with high damage per hit (independent of attack speed) so that your Barrage does more damage. In that case, Chained Jail is better than Wind and the Clouds (assuming same refinement).

Nonetheless, I vaguely recall someone saying they did Rebirth using Wind and the Clouds.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Personally- and I want to note this very clearly- IMO...

I am using the 69 Wind and Cloud right now. It by far outpowers both my Unicorn and my Thundercrack[yes, I got them all intentionally- no I didn't buy ANY of them], and that is largely due to the fact that it simply shoots faster, and ergo deals more damage.

As for Chained Jail... tbh, I was never a fan of that particular bow's stats- I am getting the Returning Sqall [Interval Between Hits -0.05 seconds, HP +205, Critical Hit Rate +2%]... Obviously, with the same interval buff as the WaC, I'm going to see a damage increase based on the attack stats alone, not to mention the +2% crit rate....

Now, as far a the CJ is concerned... my issue with that bow isn't actually its stats, but the stun buff it's famed for. First off, I would love to see a study on how often it actuall activates [much like the recent study of the CH:S "gloom" rate- that was impressive work, btw...] to determine if it's even worth thinking about. As far as I'm concerned... Archers have Stunning Arrow, Aim Low, and Knockback- using any of those two skills in conjunction with eachother should be enough stopping power for nearly any foe that can be affected by such things. I guess what I'm getting at is that this buff, when compared to the other 80 crossbow buffs, seems to pale in comparison... Unless you look at the Soulfreeze, but really- who does? b:chuckle

Any way you go- best of luck with your selection.

I'm pretty certain all "additional skills" have a 5% chance to proc. Returning Squall is quite disappointing imo, so you're maybe better off with a CH:S.
    Oh, I forgot to mention, if you are planning on doing Rebirth, then I *think* you want a weapon with high damage per hit (independent of attack speed) so that your Barrage does more damage. In that case, Chained Jail is better than Wind and the Clouds (assuming same refinement).

Nonetheless, I vaguely recall someone saying they did Rebirth using Wind and the Clouds.

Yes, I think you can use W and C for RBs. You can easily make up the damage loss by bumping BoA up another level or two, since most Archers who run Gamma have BoA at 6 or 7 and have no problem.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I have done RB with other using W&C +4, and BoA was level7. Damage was kinda lackluster.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For any area where you'd use normal attacks, W & C. For areas that are skill heavy, CJ.

While you can use W&C for barrage, the xbow is normally better for the greater damage potential.
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    WatC in gamma is fine.. just an xbow will outshine you during barrage.

I used a +5 WatC for all of gamma and all the way up till level 88

and during those times my only competition for aggro on mobs/bosses were those with crimsonsoul bows
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Oneshotu - Lost City
    Oneshotu - Lost City Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Niether, go with HH80 gold bow.it hits just as hard as returning squal,i think like 80 damage lower on top.like 2k damage higher on bottom.Gloom fails.the 2% crit is better on xbow bu the bow also have interval,i would go with HH80 gold bow.and for one of u eas up above me.i have thundercrack and WOC.i would same they are about the same....honestly i like the thundercrack better.

ps/just go with sling.i didnt see u were on pve server at first T.T jklol
    So the Dead guy says "LOL you fail, you didnt even one shot me"
    Nuf said.
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    <- Not a fan of bound items.

Anway, I guess I'll keep Chained Jail for gamma runs, though I've done fine with WoC (since I have no idea how much better xbow barrage damage is). The str bonus is kind of nice though. With tt 80 bracers and that, I can wear helm of aqua viciousness.

What are you guys' opinions on flash fire?
    edited October 2009
    Options
    People keep it to make ☆Blinding Radiance. Otherwise, I don't think it has much use. Chained Jail has a better proc, and the extra Strength can be treated as Dexterity (even without a reset note; just don't raise Strength up until you get rid of Chained Jail).

However, since you plan on swapping weapons often, you really don't get much from the Strength bonus.

I'd say keep Chained Jail for now, and if you plan on obtaining Blinding Radiance later, you can trade it for a Flash Fire.
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I suppose that extra 1% crit still won't make it better than WoC ^^

Thanks for the info.
  • Caldaster - Lost City
    Caldaster - Lost City Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    i had a +3 woc and a +5 chained. I say the chained is a lot better than woc. You might be seing differences coz your woc is +4 anc chained is +1 ... get them both to same lvl and shard it with 2 flawless or so and see the difference. The main thing is chained has a gud proc rate and the max dmg of the chained is way higher than that of woc making it perfect for pvp situations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Poor thing ... lucky me b:victory