Fraps or Something Else?

Taurzo - Lost City
Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
edited October 2009 in The Fanatics Forum
I was just curious as to what everyone is using to record in-game videos. I recently got Fraps and it lags my computer out so bad that I can't even get a smooth video going. Please let me know if there is anything better xP

Thanks.
Post edited by Taurzo - Lost City on

Comments

• Kanye_West - Lost City
    Kanye_West - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Get out of here fail wizard!

<3
  • FuRiouS_One - Sanctuary
    FuRiouS_One - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If you want smooth video recording while gaming then you will need a good processor as well as 2 or more high speed hard drives (1 HD for the game other to send the recording to).

If your only using 1 hard drive it will greatly lag you out as it is trying to run the game at the same time as recording and storing the information on the same drive.
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    You could try xfire, although personally I won't recommend it. You will struggle to find any recorder that doesn't eat out a large portion of the workload of your system, except if you could record the monitor out feed from your computer.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I might prefer xfire... but maybe only because of my monitor (could be just getting old)

xfire recordings give me a clear nice screen
    while the fraps give me a screen that seems to have some screen fog
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    There is game cam the free version does not record sound and you only need 1 hard drive.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    Kott - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I'm curious about what to use too :/ Fraps doesn't log or anything, but every 2nd time after I press record I get a game error message... & that's not the best thing to happen when you're in the middle of an RB or a boss fight & the only cleric goes poof b:embarrass
    edited October 2009
    There is game cam the free version does not record sound and you only need 1 hard drive.

Its not about "needing" 1 hard drive. When you are playing the game the hard drive is in use working, now when you start up ANY recording device (xfire, fraps, freeware) this will greatly use recourses on that same hard drive the game is using. THIS is where you will lag alot from.

You can play and record on 1 hard drive but if you wish not NOT lag at all then get a secondary drive to send the recordings as well as having a decent processor (dual core or better for multitaksing).

Id recommend having at least a 2.8gig dual core CPU, 2 10k RPM hard drives and 2+gigs of ram for non lag recording.

The software such as fraps xfire or any freeware program for recording is not the problem :), the system would be where the lag problem is.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Its not about "needing" 1 hard drive. When you are playing the game the hard drive is in use working, now when you start up ANY recording device (xfire, fraps, freeware) this will greatly use recourses on that same hard drive the game is using. THIS is where you will lag alot from.

You can play and record on 1 hard drive but if you wish not NOT lag at all then get a secondary drive to send the recordings as well as having a decent processor (dual core or better for multitaksing).

Id recommend having at least a 2.8gig dual core CPU, 2 10k RPM hard drives and 2+gigs of ram for non lag recording.

The software such as fraps xfire or any freeware program for recording is not the problem :), the system would be where the lag problem is.

I have know a lots of other people use only 1 hd for doing this same going for playing music in the background.I have used game cam but it won't record some of my others older games for some reason.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited October 2009
    I have know a lots of other people use only 1 hd for doing this same going for playing music in the background.I have used game cam but it won't record some of my others older games for some reason.

Playing music in the background is no where near the resources used as recording does. Also yes it is possible for anyone with only hard drive to record while playing (even i do), but you will get alot of lag doing so. I was answering the OPs question why he is lagging, its not fraps thats laging its the use of only 1 hard drive and maybe a weak processor or both.

Think of it this way. can you read, walk, chew gum, and whistle at the same time? sure you can but your reading, chewing, whistling will lag as well :). now have 4 different people one doing each of those tasks you wont have any lag at all :P.

About your cam recording older games thats another story/problem. maybe the game and or cam is not recognizing one another why they dont work well together, fraps and xfire pretty much work reat for any game out there.
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Since I'm here anyway

QUESTION b:cute

How do you record without all the menus & other mesc screens but only the game action? I've seen a few videos like that, it was really nicen ot seeing all the buttons & chatrooms :/
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Magic Hamster uses XFire just fine. Also Kott theres a hotkey which makes your menus and other GUI disappear. me not in game right now so me can't check.
    Here be me friend's video recording suggestions:

* Try reducing your resolution in-game. High resolutions means that Xfire must do far more compression of your video as you're recording it to cap-out your hard drive.
    * If you are running at the lowest resolution, try making Xfire record at half-size to further record your video. Just note by using this, chances are, you wont have very quality-looking video (it will be blurry).
    * Have a separate hard drive that you normally don't use when gaming, and has adequate free space? Try setting Xfire to record to that hard drive, that way you wont have Windows trying to use the hard drive while you're recording to it.
    * Get rid of stuff. The more free space, the faster Xfire should be able to perform at recording.
    * Defragment your hard drive. This may sound like a dud thing, but for realtime software-based video recording, it is a genuine boon, and can possibly quadruple your systems' video recording performance (unlike the marginal one or two percent increases you may notice with general usage).
    This goes hand in hand with the previous step, getting rid of stuff increases the chance that you will have a large enough space of contiguous free hard drive space to record to so that the hard drive doesn't have to jump around to find free space to record to. Defragmenting will increase your contiguous free space without deleting anything. Also, using a specialty defragmentation program can work extra hard to move stuff around further, and not just defragment, but actually 'optimize' file locations on your hard drive by moving files to one edge or another of the disk and provide an extremely large portion of contiguous free space.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Xfire is ok, but for some reason i cant record sound. (Yes i did record sound in the options thing)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I tried using a free version of hypercam when I started doing IG videos. Unfortunately, it was impossible to get the settings fine-tuned correctly and my trailer entry ended up with an odd "echo" in the framerate.

I've since switched to FRAPS and it records MUCH smoother, but if you're still interested in HyperCam, you can find it here: [Link]

I should also point out that my rig is fairly high-grade, though not top of the line by any means.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core Processor 6000+
    3.11 GHz, 3.00gb RAM
    NVIDIA/MSI GeForce NX8800 GTS (320mb DDR3)
    150gb SATA HD (primary)
    500gb SATA HD (storage)

*The above is posted for comparison purposes, relative to the OP's system, and is not meant to be interpreted as bragging or e-peen. FRAPS does indeed write everything to the secondary drive, and so did HyperCam.
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    I tried xfire.... b:surrender omg it was horrid... the lag... I could barely move... was always fine with fraps - error msgs.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Since I'm here anyway

QUESTION b:cute

How do you record without all the menus & other mesc screens but only the game action? I've seen a few videos like that, it was really nicen ot seeing all the buttons & chatrooms :/

Alt+H (10char)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wolfsfang - Dreamweaver
    Wolfsfang - Dreamweaver Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i use 3 different programs

for uncompresses files i use fraps. cost money and dosent compress files

for best quality i use xfire and Wegame... both these programs are free and can record in HD

this is my 3 year old laptop

Manufacturer:
    Hewlett-Packard
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory:
    2046MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    237 GB
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Monitor:
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Sound Card:
    Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    GRAPHICS AND MOTION DESIGNER