New To A PVP Server?

Atheum - Harshlands
Atheum - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Perfect World main website on PVP/PVE
http://pwi.perfectworld.com/guide/pvp

Perfect World Wiki website on PVP/PVE
http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Dying

From these two sites you can get a generalized feel as to what the rules are in this game. These rules will more then likely never change. Just roll with them.

This thread is pertaining to the PVP aspect of playing on a PVP server, my experiences, and how I view it, so note that I have my opinions about it. This is not a guide, due to, I am new to this game, and not very far into it. As I get deeper into the game, and experience new things or find the answers to the questions I have, I will edit this thread. The reason why I am posting this thread is because I have questions, tried searching the forums for this information, but the key words I used come up with nothing. I'm basically adding to the information that was left out from the two websites. So to get a better idea of what I am talking about, read up on those two websites. Anyone, please feel free to commit on what I am posting in better informing not only myself, but others as well.

1) Your faction/players online is your user guide, so is the PWI forums/wiki. Note: can not fully rely on the two websites above because some of it contradicts itself, or is not fully explained. Hopefully PWI will correct this information.

I was early level 30 when this all happened to me. ALRIGHT, time to PVP!

a. A dark-red named high lvl came up to me to kill me, I was hit once, I was able to fire a shot off, and instantly my name went from white to pink. I died, and rez'ed at the nearest safe zone. My name went back to white, and I did not loose a single inventory item or gear. There is a chance to drop an item though.

b. I noticed a white named lvl 30 Archer around me. I fired on them, though it was a winged elf, and they were able to fly away. As soon as I attacked them, my name turned from white to pink. I did not kill him. After they flew off, I attacked a mob (1st hit against the mob) and my name went back to white. Mob needs to be equal or higher lvl then your current lvl.

c. I was questing and noticed a white named lvl 30ish wizard near me. I fired on them, and successfully took him out. He did not drop anything. Upon first fire, my name went from white to pink. The color did not look like it had changed after I killed him. I went on questing and killing the mobs in the area but noticed my color did not change back to white. I didn't take notice at the time if the mobs were equal lvl to me or if I was higher level then them.

I didn't understand this and asked a faction member. If you mouse over your protections button next to your mini map, I noticed that the wait time was two hours before I would go back to being a white name.
I was told that no matter what, I have to wait that two hour period before it would go back to white, meaning I can't go kill equal or above mobs to make it change. Mind you that, you have to wait in game that whole two hour period. You can not log out and come back two hours later and expect it to be white again.
I was also told that if suppose you keep on PK'ing (pvping) and you get your name to be Dark Red, you are then able to fight mobs equal or higher lvl to reduce your color to pink. However, once you get to pink you have to still wait that two hour period. Also, if you are dark red, when going into a town/city, the guards will come at you to kill you. This is where I would really like it if an experienced/expert player could comment on this.

d. I logged off for the night and came back the next day, and yes, my name was still pink. Looking at the first website I posted, I took the chance to go turn in a quest. I figured if I die, I may loose an inventory item but no big deal. When I got to the the guy to turn in my quest I was rpk'ed (randomly player kill(ed). Then I noticed I dropped 15ish health potions, 15ish spring water, the next tier of water 10ish, and one piece of my gear, boots.

e. Last night I noticed a lvl 30ish light-red named Cleric, and decided to try and take him out. I successfully did so, and upon first hit my name turned from white to pink. After I killed him, I ran back to the safety zone for fear of what happened the night before this. I did not attack a single mob. After two mins. or so of being in the safe zone, my name went back to white. BTW, this Cleric didn't happen to drop a single item or equipment.

I figured out that because the Wizard (section C) was a white name when I killed him, that you get a higher infamous rating or greater death penalty if you die. Your name will go from white to dark red. Though, on my screen it didn't look like the color changed, it looked pink. According to what happened with the Cleric (section E) since he was already a pink or above color, I didn't get such a high infamous rating.

Now, from the looks of it, the PVP system makes better sense. If you kill a white named player, you're going to become instantly more infamous. If you kill a pink named player or above, you don't have to wait that two hour period, because it's like you're bringing justice or whatever. The confusion is, the color on my screen looked pink. I wish I had taken a screen shot now that I think of it. I will go kill another white named player sometime again to do that.

Now here is where my opinion(s) come in on the PVP system and playing on a PVP server.

I was upset. Now, mind you that I'm not upset that I was rpk'ed, or the fact that I lost inventory and a piece of gear. I can always just go make a new pair of boots, and get the inventory stuff back. No big deal. What I was upset about was the fact that prior to this, I didn't have a clear idea of the chance I had taken when I had decided to go turn in that quest, due to I was basically not fully informed.

I just killed one person. Statistically speaking, I suppose I just was just very unfortunate?

It's very hard to know if my name was pink or light red apparently due to the death penalties that I endured, but I swear it looked pink. Looking at the death penalty for being pink, the website contradicts itself about dropping any gear and that amount of inventory. This is from the first website listed, in comparison to the explanation of the color names vs. the chart below it. No where did I find that when you kill a white name the consequences are higher then killing a pink or above named player. I also didn't know about PWI Wiki at the time either.

My thoughts about the whole PVP system on a PVP server is that it isn't meant for the low levels to do. If I just want to kill one person, and have this much of a penalty for doing so, then what's the point of PVP when you will get ganked by a higher lvl anyway. I do believe the PVP rules are good as it appears to be set in place in an attempt to stop higher lvls from ganking the lower lvls or those who just want to quest. The only way not to loose gear is to purchase items from the cash shop, have enough coin to trade for gold for the items, or buy them from a player. I don't plan to buy these things right now because I lvl out of the gear to quickly, and I don't have enough coin at this low level to be able to buy/trade from another player.

So, the only logical thing to do, in my opinion, is to take my lumps over and over again, wait until I'm max lvl and have the epic gear I want to put the binding stones on. That way the real money I may spend isn't a waste. To buy the doll is an option too, but again, no point in buying it now as it is a one time use, I am going to get ganked, and I don't have the coin to do so anyway. Don't let my opinion sway you if you want to use real money to purchase these things. Do as you wish.

TIPS:

i. What makes a PVP server different over a PVE server is later on in the game you won't have to hunt down those who do want to PVP.
ii. If you want to play this game and get into the story line (read quest dialogue) as you go along, a PVP server won't be for you. Not unless you always have a super high lvl friend with you or tons of people to protect you. There are many quest givers that are not in safe zones. These areas maybe camped, and you don't want to be sitting there reading and boom, you get ganked. Word of advise, just grab your quest and go!
iii. Join a faction, they will help you with quests, back you up, and can answer your questions. You better return the favor to them, as this will make a great bond between you and your guild mates, thus make the guild stronger.
iii. Your mini map is something I recommend you constantly watch. A green dot means there's a player around. You can not hide from anyone due to this, then again, they can't sneak up on you either.
iiii. You can not drop coins upon death.
iiiii. You can not drop your genie upon death, unless it is in trade status, though I could be wrong about the trade status.

There's some other tips out there that I could list, but I won't. These are things you'll just have to figure out for yourself. I don't want to take away the tactics from rpk'ers, or pk'ers, due to I will use those tactics as well, and will be my building blocks to develop my own.