Webpage Designers Report In

Options
DarkSniper - Lost City
DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
So yea I'm taking class in school.

By Friday I have to have finished my webpage, and upload it to the schools servers. I made the site on my computer with my laptop using sharepoint and then uploaded it to the schools servers.

Only problem is that when I upload everything to the servers my images do not show up and hyperlinks to other pages I uploaded don't work.

Anyone has any idea of how to fix?
The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
Post edited by DarkSniper - Lost City on

Comments

• DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Um...you spell the tags right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    The tags are spelt right. Everything works fine when I view it from my laptop but when I view it from the server is when the images don't load and the hyperlinks don't work.
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It could be that the location to the resource is different in relation to on the server, including the root. For example, if your .html file asks for root + "/images/stuff/icecream.jpg" when either directories or image doesn't exist or is in the wrong place then you'll get a 404 error. Right click on the image and click "Properties" and you'll see the entire address for the image/hyperlink.

I bet it's because they specify the root address too, which might be different naturally.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Along with the path name changes, if on a windows system capitalization doesn't matter, but when uploading to a *nix web server it does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    Options
    It could be that the location to the resource is different in relation to on the server, including the root. For example, if your .html file asks for root + "/images/stuff/icecream.jpg" when either directories or image doesn't exist or is in the wrong place then you'll get a 404 error. Right click on the image and click "Properties" and you'll see the entire address for the image/hyperlink.

I bet it's because they specify the root address too, which might be different naturally.
    Say the exact same thing, only simplified.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Say the exact same thing, only simplified.

When you created the file your images are something like "c:/mywebstuff/images/picture1.jpg" which doesn't exist on the server.

Or you put everything in /images when creating but when you uploaded you didn't put them in the right directory, or you put them in /pictures

If you put the pictures in the same directory as the web page just use a simple img src="picture1.jpg"

If you put them in a directory past the web page you can do img src="/images/picture1.jpg"

Or just do img src="http://mydomain.com/mypath/picture1.jpg" and never have to worry about using relative path names again.

On your uploaded site, right click on where a picture should be and choose properties, cut/paste the address/image location here so someone can tell you exactly what you did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City
    Ryo_Hazuki - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Did you, perhaps upload the images?

Also, put the images in http://yourURL.com/imagedirectory/image.png format in your image tags.

The http:// does help a ton.
    Owner of MadAngels Lost City Faction.
    MadAngels Forum at sonictheplumber.com/forum