PWI Portability

aponivi
aponivi Posts: 14 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Support Desk
I am at college a lot and on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I have nothing really else to do but to surf the web in between classes. I do not have a laptop that I can take with me though I do have an external hard drive of 320GB. What I am wondering is if it is possible to download PWI onto the external hard drive and then take that hard drive to any computer. From that computer, I would be able to access the game through the hard drive and play it on that computer without installation upon the computer of choice. Would this be possible for PWI to be plug-and-play in this method?
Post edited by aponivi on

Comments

• LordRaptor - Heavens Tear
    LordRaptor - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i have my pwi on a 8gb usb stick from SanDisk with U3

OK:
    just install pwi on your pc
    then search the folder perfect world entertainmet and drag it to your external hard drive. if you connect that hard drive to an other pc, just search patcher.exe and PWI will launch. the updater start and make the actual update and then you can play. maybe you have to play with low graphic (depending on the PC)

i hope that will help you

LordRaptor
    Equipment
    ☆Armor of the Assassin
    ☆Decaying Snow Shinguards
    ☆General's Bracers
    ☆Skywalker Shoes
    ☆Broad Land
    ☆Attendance Ring
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    moving this to tech support, our guys should be able to give you some insight on if this would work well.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As long as all the vital files are there it will run just great.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • aponivi
    aponivi Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    i have my pwi on a 8gb usb stick from SanDisk with U3

OK:
    just install pwi on your pc
    then search the folder perfect world entertainmet and drag it to your external hard drive. if you connect that hard drive to an other pc, just search patcher.exe and PWI will launch. the updater start and make the actual update and then you can play. maybe you have to play with low graphic (depending on the PC)

i hope that will help you

LordRaptor
    So it is possible. Computer depending though, it'd have to update which in itself could take up a portion of my break hours. If I use the same computer over and over again with the plug to play method after it updates for that computer, would I be able to avoid having to update each time? (There is a computer in the computer lab that not many people ever use. x3)
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2009
    The update would be applied to the game files on the external hard drive, not the computer you're running it on. So yes, this will work just fine.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    You might want to try putting your college time to 'slightly' better use - at least most of the time ;).

Otherwise, everything will work just like these guys have been saying - tried and tested.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Just keep in mind the USB bus has to be 2.0, the motherboard needs to have a fast speed, and the flash drive must have fast read and write speeds on small file sizes, and decent speeds on large file transfers.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.