Venomous Scarab distance vs Winged Blessing?

bettycheng2
bettycheng2 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
I just upped my venomous scarab to lvl 8 (the max i can go). Since can't do my cult/fb yet (the bug so far unfixed for many days).

My question is, which of these skills shoots longer distance? It seems each lvl i up scarab it increases distance, how is that compared to Archer's passive range skill - Winged Blessing?

If there's not much difference than Archer isn't getting the upper hand for being long ranged shooter then. Plus the skill doesn't need arrows. lol
Post edited by bettycheng2 on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    When both skills are maxed, venos will have 25.5m attacking range while archers will have 30m range (more if they have + distance gear).
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Xymantha - Dreamweaver
    Xymantha - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    you are forgetting that archers wear LA, not HA so they have a moderate amount of magical defense + they get a magical barrier to reduce all forms of damage. Archers hit faster than venos do, and if you go for the arcane build (or a variant thereof) you will fall dead to them quickly. Best to send a fast flyer at them if you want to stand a chance - since even in fox form you cant get to them in time.
    I'm a man
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, standing twenty six metres apart is a good way to die fast to an archer.

Standing 25 metres apart is a very slightly slower way to die.

Either move in really close (his arrow attacks get worse when toe-to-toe, your spells don't) or be several hundred metres away throwing smilies at him.
  • Xymantha - Dreamweaver
    Xymantha - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    (his arrow attacks get worse when toe-to-toe, your spells don't)
    when you say "worse" you of course mean "weaker" and not "more devastating" - correct? the archer weapons have a minimum "effective" range of 5 meters (although its hard to judge this distance in game) I'm tempted to say that you'd be better off at killing him if you were in fox form (for better pdef) with level appropriate melee mastery (stronger attacks), summer sprint (to move faster than him), leech (strong attack with a chance of regaining health), fox wallop (to slow his attacks down further than the max speed of .71 times per second), hex mist (to decrease his accuracy in hopes to avoid being hit too much), stunning blow (keep him from kiting too much), and soul transfusion for a quick swap of mana -> health when you get critical.

amp damage and purge would be nice to use as well but neither deal damage themselves. I'd perhaps use one or the other (depending on buff presence) as an opener in open PvP mode if (s)he has their concentration elsewhere. however in a duel setting its been my experience to be a bad thing to do.
    I'm a man
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Sorry yes, at close range his attacks become worse for him, not worse for you :)

Admittedly, I've only duelled and my only archer duels have been pretty low level. But my best success was indeed to drop into foxform and have a pretty fast pet pile in as well.
    Befuddle was basically useless - on an archer it reduced accuracy from "I can hit a fly on the other side Mars" down to "I can hit a fly the other side of the city" which didn't cause many misses.

Amp damage, timed to just before my pets attack landed, worked great however.

Foxwallop didn't seem to help much, but since it delays casting I guess it helped some. Purge, since the archer was only selfbuffed, didn't help much. But then, it's also only one cast.

Oh, my OTHER advantage of foxform was having not used up all my mana, so I had a lot more when I did the hp/mp swap. That's a lot less of an issue at later levels though.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Vitenka, using skills = mana usage regardless of class. :-( Just the way that works.

For dueling, whoever gets a stun off first is usually the winner, depending on the pet you're using. I recommend Kowlin for Land because it comes with a L4 Flesh Ream (the bleed skill) and it also has two debuffs (for phys. def. and mag. def.) and Bash. The Nix is said to be the ultimate PvP pet, but if you're in a dungeon killing time while someone catches up to you, Kowlin is your better bet. Herc doesn't make a very good PvP pet unless you're going to stand inside it to make it harder to target you and because it's slow, it can be pretty easily kited around.

Lucky Scarab -> Caster stun skill. It lasts long enough to disrupt channeling if they're channeling one of their longer skills.

Venomous Scarab -> basic spam skill.

Ironwood Scarab -> Phys Def debuff skill and it hits damn hard.

Noxious Gas -> AoE skill with a Poison DoT (damage over time for those that don't know), it also hits hard.

In order, I recommend starting with Lucky, then Ironwood, after that you can spam Ven until Lucky/Ironwood has cooled to be used again or you can use Gas but it takes a little while to channel.

For your Defense -> At L59 you get Bramble Hood. Get it. 75% Damage reduction 200% Damage Reflect, this does not reflect on ranged attacks, you want it for the reduction. It's a better PvP skill that Parasitic Nova, the L59 AoE skill you get for caster form, because that takes 4 seconds to channel. By then, they've pretty much lost.

**Note**
    Demon range on skills is only 27 meters.