Help me find a pet

Brael - Dreamweaver
Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
Looking for a pet. Can anyone think of a pet with high hp (would prefer atleast 40/level but 35 would do I guess) and good to high magic resist? Preferably with a low tame level. Also it's preferred that it has shriek but I could just spend the coin to add it if necessary.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a pet that I won't buff, can interrupt some/most nukes, and has the hp to take an occasional hit. I would only use it when removing almost all mob melee from the equation so resistance isn't nearly as important as it's ability to survive one hit every now and then.

Anyone have some ideas for this? So far my lead choice is an antelope pup.
Post edited by Brael - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Reane - Sanctuary
    Reane - Sanctuary Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Shaduo cub seems to fit your bill, its got good overall def and has a decent amount of HP
    Reane-archer-82
    HeavensRage-blademaster-65
    HeavenSorrow-venomancer-74
    Abby_G-assassin-57
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    A cub is among the lowest pets around for damage output though. It's pretty much useless for what I want as a result, a 1 hour fight doesn't do me any good, and ends up costing a fortune in stamina/mana potions. Not to mention, the repair bill and inconvenience of repairing after each fight. A cub is also at the lower end of what I was hoping for at 35 hp/level but I might have to live with that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at growth charts, it seems a tuskmoor or something in the guardian wolf family might fit the bill. The problem with the wolves being the lowest tame is level 45. Or the antelope which lacks HP but would hopefully make up for it with high attack, a dead mob can't kill a pet after all, and less chances for me to **** up stopping attacks.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    I must have glanced over wolf4, but ya that's another possibility although I would go guardian wolf instead for the higher stats and better skills (howl is useless when it would be a situation where I'm not doing any spell damage).
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    You could alway replace howl with shriek but the guardian does look good I couldn't see all individual stats of each.I would go for one.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As I love experimenting with pets, I have some free bag space and currently keep two magic tanks. A Frost Antelope and a Frog. They both do well, but the Antelope works better for me. Not so rounded and average in everything, but with it's incredibly high attack mobs die pretty fast, even if I don't do any damage just farm some mats and throw a heal when needed. Her lvl3 Icicle and lvl2 Howl helps alot also.

Funny thing is, that she dosen't need more healing than my other pets (except Golem), even when facing a phys mob. People believe, that Antelopes are too fragile for fighting even normal monsters, but if you look at their growth chart you see, that the phys def is actually just an inch under average. HP is low, yes. But I think there is no magic tank with high HP AND decent attack, we have to deal with that.

Edit: I can't say anything about the Guardian Wolfs and their fellows, never tried them out. One of my friends have it, and she is happy with it, but use it as an easily disposable member of her pet bag.
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Korren - Lost City
    Korren - Lost City Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As I love experimenting with pets, I have some free bag space and currently keep two magic tanks. A Frost Antelope and a Frog. They both do well, but the Antelope works better for me. Not so rounded and average in everything, but with it's incredibly high attack mobs die pretty fast, even if I don't do any damage just farm some mats and throw a heal when needed. Her lvl3 Icicle and lvl2 Howl helps alot also.

Funny thing is, that she dosen't need more healing than my other pets (except Golem), even when facing a phys mob. People believe, that Antelopes are too fragile for fighting even normal monsters, but if you look at their growth chart you see, that the phys def is actually just an inch under average. HP is low, yes. But I think there is no magic tank with high HP AND decent attack, we have to deal with that.

Edit: I can't say anything about the Guardian Wolfs and their fellows, never tried them out. One of my friends have it, and she is happy with it, but use it as an easily disposable member of her pet bag.

b:nosebleedi still cant understand why ppl want a magic tank, what is it used for?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Queelen - Lost City
    Queelen - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    b:nosebleedi still cant understand why ppl want a magic tank, what is it used for?

On later levels you face more and more monsters with strong magic attack, and even if it's not necesarry (you can always use a Golem, Eldergoth, etc. and heal it more than once) it can be fun and useful to experiment with pets that make excellent performance in these areas. Also, when you fight bosses which require a bigger group, you often end up as a DDS. Just becaue you have a pet, you don't have to tank everything.

Big bosses with big aoe are a pain in the ****, but you can use either a ranged pet to keep yourself (and the pet as much as you can) out from the boss range but you will have to heal it more frequently OR a magic tank, parking it down in a range it can use it's attack skills and you can heal it without being damaged, ending up doing more dmg, 'caouse the pet will be 2x times more resistent to the aoe magic than your ranged ones, needing less heal.

But that's just my opinion.
    This is the dark present, this is who I am,
    Long forgotten dead, deep in a cold cavern.
    Errant who got swallowed by volatile time,
    Fallen angel on the brink of endless abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Heck even as early as fb 39 you're facing a magic-only boss. And the exploding things - as early as fb29 - that's magic and does nasty things to golems.

So yeah, there are some early uses for a pet with a good magic defence.
  • Korren - Lost City
    Korren - Lost City Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Heck even as early as fb 39 you're facing a magic-only boss. And the exploding things - as early as fb29 - that's magic and does nasty things to golems.

So yeah, there are some early uses for a pet with a good magic defence.

Thats true but i still cant find a pet that can bear at least 3 magic hits from a boss at same lvl, especially in TT. So whats the meaning to waste time on training these '1 shot' or '2 shots' pets. Just to tank few magic mobs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]