LV 14 veno has hit an XP wall

2»

Comments

• iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I guess they mean you top use quests. Good and bad. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the FG's. I dumped my highlevel archer because I tend to solo - and he was stuck because of FB's. This veno is an experiment to see what happens at FB19 (Is that it with tail? I think it was with tree huggers).

Well, not exactly, as you get higher up, quests don't always fill the xp bar all the way to the next level espeically if you die for whatever reason. And if you want to have a bit more coin, you'll end up spending time grinding for drops to npc and/or auction house.

As for the FB's, there are almost always people willing to help out on your FB. The first FB, FB 19 is given at around level 19 and gives a very nice weapon at the end of the quest. Depending on your class, that weapon will last all the way from level 20 to your late 20/late 30's (depends on your class).

Most of the earlier FBs are easier to do if you have someone higher in level assist and help it clear it out for you and with that kind of help, most will be done within 15 minutes to half an hour. It's possible to do at level, but it's quite a bit more difficult and requires a full squad that knows what they're doing to carry out.
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    <Clears throat> <Former Presidend Ronald Reagan Impersonation>:

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall!"
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • idontneedanick
    idontneedanick Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    And your point is? No, I'm serious. Continue your stupidity so I can increase my post count as I flame you. I'd really appreciate it.

You're going to die. Horribly. You might get to the boss but you'll die. Yes, venos are solo classes. No, they can't solo their own FBs at the level they're given (unless the veno has a herc).

By "high-level" archer, what are you talking about? Low to mid 60/70s? Or do you mean 80/90s? Just a general idea would be nice (I know it's off-topic but I'm curious).

And what exactly was the point of the second part of your "PS"?

Is that it with the tail meant - is it over for the veno at FB19. It was the end for my archer - elf. (Treehugger --- really big tree at plume).

Well, I didnt mean highlevel in terms of the overall community. I meant it was over the point at which it got that quest. Something in the low to mid twenties. Which in the context of the community isnt high. I meant relative to the point you receive the quest. I was soloing - running through everything very easily - until I hit that cave. I was crushed so hard that it was obvious that my solo career was over. Too bad really. I was having a great time with that toon. I'm hoping that my veno with a crystaline magmite leveled into the 20's somewhere will be able to get through whatever is in that cave. (I have everything and am just now at lv 19.8

The second part of the PS was just about an amazing experience. The kid would actually race me to my drops as soon as the mod died and stand on top of the drops. I asked him not to do that - and he responde ... why should I. Thats all he did. Just follow me around trying to take my drops. Later, I concluded that the toon probably belonged to his older brother and he was just running it around being a pest. I cant see how he could have leveled it, captured a 'higher level minkii' etc otherwise. ..... remember back when you were a little kid. Did you ever have another little kid slide into a chair just as you were setting down? That is what he was trying to do with my drops. (I know that doesnt work ... and obviously he didnt know that).

You know a funny thing happened. Just after I rescued the - whatever it was in front of the cave from the mob - I was jumped by a 'wolfkin' that absolutely tore my crystaline to pieces. Shocked me. Nothing has done much more than 40-50 (maybe 80) points damage to the thing. (Ironwood->Venomous->Heal->Venomous has kept it pretty healthy). As I was leaving for the night, I noticed something on the ridge named something wolfkin master. I bet that is what got the crystaline. Someone there commented that a mob on the ridge - he wasnt specific which mob - had a level that was a lie (it was higher than stated). If I can find which mob it was, I would love to have it as a pet. It was viscious. :) (I was damaging it - might be tameable.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You know a funny thing happened. Just after I rescued the - whatever it was in front of the cave from the mob - I was jumped by a 'wolfkin' that absolutely tore my crystaline to pieces. Shocked me. Nothing has done much more than 40-50 (maybe 80) points damage to the thing. (Ironwood->Venomous->Heal->Venomous has kept it pretty healthy). As I was leaving for the night, I noticed something on the ridge named something wolfkin master. I bet that is what got the crystaline. Someone there commented that a mob on the ridge - he wasnt specific which mob - had a level that was a lie (it was higher than stated). If I can find which mob it was, I would love to have it as a pet. It was viscious. :) (I was damaging it - might be tameable.

Those are elite mobs. I don't believe they're tamable, actually.

As well, you can solo FB19, perhaps, but it's really intended to be a 6man instance. You won't be able to solo everything, and you can't just skip some things: culti bosses for example.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Those are elite mobs. I don't believe they're tamable, actually.

They are tamable, if you are in HT, let me know and I will tame one for you (the OP). They are not that amaizing, but if you like wolves, they are pretty darn cool.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Probably Darkbreed Wolfkins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Actually, I am in HT. My main toon is Htvenomancer - as opposed to Htcleric. (Ht for the server) Which is mainly a farmer to generate coin that I mail to the veno. I didnt want the veno to be too bothered about coin.

I have a lv (1-2) sharptooth leveled to 19. (I know I know). It does somethings surprisingly well. It cant take the damage the crystaline can. But it evades and does fairly good damage all things considered. Once the crystaline gets leveled it will do much better I think. I was just dazzled that I was really fighting to keep the crystaline alive against that wolfkin - and failed. :) I havent seen any hercules - which are probably in a different category all together.

I may not make it to the levels needed to get a hercules anyway.
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    I had been in front of the cave at my last game exit. I just restarted and was instantly under attack by two darkbreed wolfkins - one attack and Im down 2/3 of my health. I take off at a dead run and they are on my heals to within visual sight of wellspring. I have never been followed that far by mobs.

darkbreed wolfkins are nasty. And if I was correct and saw a darkbreed wolfkin master on the ridge - it must be really tough.

UPDATE - I was wrong, they didnt stop and there were THREE of them. While I was doing some business with the banker - they actually came into wellspring village. I am currently standing on the roof of a building. :)

I guess two chased me and another untamed there was chased by the two I shook and one more and he actually brought them into the village.
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    Koltrast - Sanctuary Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    One thing you've missed is, if you insist on soloing dungeons, you may as well stop now anyway.

You can not solo a tabbed FB run. A squad, which you are the leader of, is required to use the tab. You can be solo in the dungeon, maybe even get really lucky and do the boss, but it won't complete your call to duty tabs.

Also worth noting, you need 80 rep to tab, something lots of people who grind early levels and don't quest miss. You pretty much need to have done all or nearly all of the low level quests to get it, else you're stuck doing one man armies until you meet the requirement.
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    I have it. I just havent done it.

As the thread explains ... the XP rate is so low as to be irrelevant. I'm surprised they even award XP for killing mobs. The last quest I did awarded over 7000 XP and that was typical. (Well ... 3000 to 7000 might be typical). They mean this be quest based. The quests are easy and quick.

I can and have solo'd everything except these FB things. I have considered bringing my clan to this game just to have a permanent guild in game. I havent decided if that is a good idea or not. Or even if they would agree. They are mainly an FPS clan.

If I can get past the FB's, then I'm good. (Or enough of them to avoid being absolutely stopped). It didnt work out for my archer.

Besides, its just a game that I play during down time.
  • Karst - Dreamweaver
    Karst - Dreamweaver Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    First of all, I suggest you do more research. Second, the FBs aren't required. There's no "getting stuck". You can just skip them.
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    To be clear, you do not need 80 rep to get the tabs, but you do need 80 rep and to be leader of a squad to use them.

The early levels are without a doubt intended to be quest based. As you level up, that changes drastically. At my level if my quests each level get me 5% of a level, that's grand, but mobs get much more xp.

Killing higher level mobs than you is not efficient anyway: past a certain amount of levels (4? off the top of my head) above you, you start to take a damage reduction. The more levels between you, the less hard you can hit them, but they're still hitting you just like normal. They have more hp too + you're hitting 20% less, = they take a lot longer to kill than just doing mobs your own level, for less xp per mob but much more xp per hour. Your best drops and xp ratios will nearly always be mobs +/- 3 levels of you either way.

Also water and air mobs have less hp/more xp than land mobs, if you really must grind already, grind on those where possible.

And as mentioned, fb's themselves are not required, although frankly, you're gimping yourself if you do skip them, the quest rewards for several are easily the best items for their level. But the only ones required for actual game progression are the cultivations (the orange titled ones) because you need to gain culti levels to learn new skills. A whole lot of those take place in FB dungeons anyway though :)

And in the end, what really is the big problem with fb's? A tabbed fb 19 run takes like 5 minutes flat for a squad my level. Getting a squad is crazy easy, stand in the middle of archosaur and say "need squad for tabbed fb19" and you'll be flooded with pm's.

You can always go back in and solo it later, for kicks and drops and just to see if you can, but this way you get a quest done, and we get some of that hard-to-find-elsewhere rep (you do know we get rep for these? it's not you asking a big favour of people, it's a symbiotic kind of thing). If you're on sanctuary, drop me a pm here with your in-game-name, I'd run it for you in a heartbeat.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Tabbed FBs aren't required. However, some of the later spiritual cultivation quests require you to kill the bosses in the FB for those quests so you might as well do the Tabs at the same time.

Even so you can put them off for 10-20 levels if you really wanted to at which time if you have a half decent tank pet you can solo them. Especially if you wine the FB.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Elite mobs are really scary. Even if you are 10 levels above it youll still have a hard time with it..
    Unless you have a herc of course.
    Of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    As some other posters have pointed out, if you will not squad to get stuff done then my advice would be,

Uninstall the game.
    Play something else.

First off, why would you want to play a MMO and solo everything, I just don't get it. Second, whilst everyone else is having a great time doing bounty hunts and TT runs later on, what are you planning on doing? You've already said you think grinding is a waste of time.

Seriously, this game is better played with others.

Give it a try, go to where the Wolfkin you are having problems with are, and say in common chat "anyone killing darkbreed wolfkin?" and play it from there.....
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    First of all, I suggest you do more research. Second, the FBs aren't required. There's no "getting stuck". You can just skip them.

Yeah, unless you don't want sparks or your higher level skills.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idontneedanick
    edited August 2009
    Its rare that I see people in this game in groups. Occasionally. But not often. I saw one over the weekend gathering for a contest over a territory. I think it is probably more common at higher levels. What that implies is more people probably quit this game (and games like it) than advance to higher levels since advancement is meant to be the product of squad play it appears.

I love grinding. I have done that for as long as six months combined (two toons and it was farming really. I would suicide at ends of levels to avoid leveling) in other games. I have said its surprising that XP is even awarded for killing mobs given that leveling - at least at my level - is clearly meant to be the result of the completion of a quest.

I have never said that I WOULD NOT SQUAD. I have said that I enjoy solo - I think alot do. I have said I havent brought my clan to the game. I have said that my archer failed to solo FB19. I have said that I was going to try a veno on FB19. I helped a fellow last night with a quest and he enjoyed being teamed so much he split the instant it was done. Meaning - he like me is a solo player. Dont get that? Find him and give him a " ... I'll never understand ..." lecture.

As a note - no one needs lectures on why your personal taste in games is the correct one. To paraphrase - I honestly dont understand why anyone cares how or why anyone else plays any game.

I was asking about why level 14 seemed flat in terms of XP. It appears that the game is flat in terms of XP but that the total amount of XP needed at starting levels is so low that you level quickly. At a point, the requirement of XP to level increases faster than the amount of XP per mob - which flattens the leveling process. That is speculation - I havent put a pencil to it.

Later - as some have said - the game returns to leveling by XP accumulation. That is probably nothing more than the designers running out of quests. Maybe not. I have seen that in other titles.

By the way, player personalities would cause me to unistall quicker than anything. In particular players that are defenders of the faith, truth and virtue of the one true online game who insist that for whatever reason you should just leave having offended their choice in games.

I hope everyone has fun. Are you known as an important character in an mmo ... I dont care. I do hope you have fun.
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    I think you are reading more 'defenders of the one true way' into some of our posts than are really there.

What I was trying to tell you was, there are quests, several of them, the FB's being the most obvious which you cannot complete solo. If you are not leader of a squad containing at least one other person, the pillar will simply not accept your tab.

TT's, once you get a lot higher, require a squad in some modes. If you aren't at least 4 in it, you cannot enter, and you can't do the quests inside in solo (actually 1-4 people) mode, because the npc's you need to talk to won't be there. That there is a solo mode at all though, should say something.

Higher FB's where you might use wine to clear out the mobs on the way to the boss, also have other quests inside, which you can't do if you are solo and wined, because again, the npc won't be there to talk to.

I'm not telling you that you can't do it because it's too hard, I'm telling you that some content is not available unless you get together a group.

As for 'running out of quests' that may be true, I'm not a PWI developer. I personally find the storyline well developed for PWI, but on the other hand, a lot of people breeze on by the quest dialog to get to the 'what do i kill' part, and don't care in the slightest about plot. That said, a quest I just took now, at level 80, differed from the one my husband got, due to different choices we made 30 levels ago. There are a few series of quests that extend over similar distance of levels, building a story, with a new 'episode' every level or two (the Seven Seals quest, starts in the 20's, and is complete in the late 60's from memory, for one example, but there are others.)

But in the end, while my quests may now add up to 300k in experience each level, that's not that big a dent in the million+ it'll take for me to get another level. But there's still choice. I can do daily quests (solo = boring timewasting flying around the map, but get lots of xp for little actual effort, or group = battling a boss, for lots of xp for not much more effort, for me more fun but your mileage will vary). I can grind (solo or not) for coin, drops and experience, or run instances (rebirth, for example) in a group.

And just like you, I like to choose, I like to have the choice. I'm glad there are choices most of the time, and I personally choose to accept the few places there is not one because they are relatively few and far between and that's good enough for me. Again, your mileage will vary.
  • MrChrist - Heavens Tear
    MrChrist - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    He's also said he's a physicist and a programmer.

And Jesus.

b:scorn
    If you see this message, it means there is something Jesus-related and I am trolling it.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Its rare that I see people in this game in groups. Occasionally. But not often. I saw one over the weekend gathering for a contest over a territory. I think it is probably more common at higher levels. What that implies is more people probably quit this game (and games like it) than advance to higher levels since advancement is meant to be the product of squad play it appears.
    People group all the time for quests and dungeons, it's just not that obvious since they aren't following eachother around closely, or always attacking the same target. Grouping helps with kill quests since both people get credit for each mod kill, regardless of which party member killed it, making the quest go faster. Parties are required for most dungeons though, as has already been explained. Solo work is still possible at higher levels, it will just be boring as hell since you're just grinding on the same mob for 20 hours a level. Groups are a way to break from the grind and do something fun. If you're looking for something entirely solo play, you won't find it in a MMO since that kinda defeats the purpose of online play.
    I love grinding. I have done that for as long as six months combined (two toons and it was farming really. I would suicide at ends of levels to avoid leveling) in other games. I have said its surprising that XP is even awarded for killing mobs given that leveling - at least at my level - is clearly meant to be the result of the completion of a quest.
    Clearly missing the point of early levels. Although quests alone will level you for the first few levels, after about level 8 or so, you start earning a sizable portion of your exp from killing things. At levels 30+, you get more exp killing the things for the quest than you get rewarded. Quest exp is bonus. That's all it is. Stop complaining.
    I have never said that I WOULD NOT SQUAD. I have said that I enjoy solo - I think alot do. I have said I havent brought my clan to the game. I have said that my archer failed to solo FB19. I have said that I was going to try a veno on FB19. I helped a fellow last night with a quest and he enjoyed being teamed so much he split the instant it was done. Meaning - he like me is a solo player. Dont get that? Find him and give him a " ... I'll never understand ..." lecture.
    He wanted some help, he got help, he probably didn't have reason to stick around... Frankly I don't blame him.
    As a note - no one needs lectures on why your personal taste in games is the correct one. To paraphrase - I honestly dont understand why anyone cares how or why anyone else plays any game.
    And yet you're here, complaining about how everything is not up to your expectations. If you don't like it, leave.
    I was asking about why level 14 seemed flat in terms of XP. It appears that the game is flat in terms of XP but that the total amount of XP needed at starting levels is so low that you level quickly. At a point, the requirement of XP to level increases faster than the amount of XP per mob - which flattens the leveling process. That is speculation - I havent put a pencil to it.
    First time playing a MMO? That's generally how it is. If it wasn't, people would be max level in a few hours, get bored, and leave. If level 1 takes 5 kills of a similarly leveled opponent and same with every level after that, it's only 500 kills until you reach level 100... Kinda stupid if that were max level no?
    Later - as some have said - the game returns to leveling by XP accumulation. That is probably nothing more than the designers running out of quests. Maybe not. I have seen that in other titles.
    Right... Or a clever ploy to force people to learn how to play their class and spend an excessive amount of time playing their game, buying stuff from the Cash Shop, and remaining interested longer than a week.
    By the way, player personalities would cause me to unistall quicker than anything. In particular players that are defenders of the faith, truth and virtue of the one true online game who insist that for whatever reason you should just leave having offended their choice in games.
    No, I have a feeling that most of their offense is because you only seem to complain, and everything you say seems like you're just trolling or looking for attention. You obviously seem to have no intention of playing the game as it is, don't care to consider things as they might be seen by others who, perhaps, don't want to isolate themselves and play alone. You are clearly not enjoying your experiences in this game, so why stick around?
  • ascubastevej
    ascubastevej Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    CLICK MOUSE, KILL THINGS!

at least that's how I do it.

I want to do quests and things and I cant find them, the arrows just point up.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have two good pets (lv 14 sharptooth and lv14 saw fly) and am in Timberfield preparing (trying to level) to get a crystaline. At lv 14 I dont have any trouble with mobs up to about lv 20 - but I only get ... average ... 80 to 90 XP.

At this rate I will never level (I need three for a crystaline and six for a bunny).

Is this a dead spot in veno XP or should I be doing quests?

Or is there a KickMyAssForEasyXP mob that I dont know about?

You say you are Timberfield and there is no quests for Venos there go back to WellSpring Village as well as the one south of there.You want to look in your quest finder.The ony quests where you are are for Blademasters and Wizards.Go back and forget about the C. Mag you can buy one in Wellspring and at your even when you reach lvl 20 you won't be able to tame the bunny.

You won't have the gear for it and most who do this are higher lvls.I would keep that sawfly if I were you as it will get better the more you lvl it.I would suggest you go read the Veno forums on pets.Leave BM and Wizzies alone.I hated it when BMS came down to Plume to kill things stealing my kills.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If you want to solo FB 19 as a veno i think you will need to be about lvl 40 - 43 to do it safely. That would be my best guess. And it would take you at least an hour probably 2 hours to complete it. What do other venos think they could solo FB19 at?
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I solo'ed my first fb19 on my alt veno at lvl 29-30, I believe. Fairly cerain people have done it well before that. Just takes patience and lots of mp pots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This place is a trolls heaven
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I give OP 8/10 for content, but 3/10 for believability.

I just didn't buy the "Unfrozen Caveman MMO Player" persona. Most people who manage to find these forums read through them *before* they post their first "I can't find/figure out how to X" thread. OP just waded right in without bothering to even *look* at the "Beginner's Thread".

Sorry, not plausible.

C+.

RedMenace

\really don't want to be snarky at a new player
    \\but this is really beyond the pale, honestly
    \\\this was my first MMO, but I managed to look for a FAQ before i opened my mouth
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    This place is a trolls heaven

b:avoid
    why do you think I'm here? ;D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I want to do quests and things and I cant find them, the arrows just point up.

LOL

i almost took that seriously. its a joke right? right? o.O
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited September 2009
    LOL

i almost took that seriously. its a joke right? right? o.O

You just have to jump really high b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]