Kaaina - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Venomancer
63 Veno, with a phoenix !

Currently my stats are (without buff)

VIT 5
STR 32
MAG 288
DEX 10

With my phoenix I find my magic to be almost useless ... I mean one venemous is enough with nix attack. Should I start pumping vit ? Or will i need a lot of Matk in higher level ?

Sure I plan on TW in my later level but right now PvP isn't my priority.

Thanks for taking your time !
Post edited by Kaaina - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sleekit - Heavens Tear
    Sleekit - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Eh well, first off, what's the random Dex for? A robe, human form veno has no reason to have dex; those are wasted points. I'd restat those into magic, or vit if you decide to pump it.

So did you follow like, 9mg 1 str per two levels? A lot of it boils down to playstyle [it's like personal preference], but personally I think pure magic is the way to go until level sixty or so [for quickest levelling], then full vitality until 90, and then HA/AA build.

How much HP do you have? If you start running TTs and stuff [which you probably will, around now], you'll need a set amount of hp in order to survive AOE. This can of course be sort of remedied with shards, +hp/vit gear, and refines. A lot of venomancers say that a certain amount of base vit is helpful - like 50 or 100 or something, depending on your preference.

It's about picking between damage output and survivability. You could always go hybrid, like 8-1-1 or 7-2-1, for more of a balance. With full vit matk is a bit nerfed.

Think I read somewhere that full vit venos are the third most common pwnful Veno PVP build, after LA and HA/AA. A Venomancer's mg dmg isn't all that high anyway in comparison with the other caster classes, so [especially since you have the bird], it's sort of about surviving while your nix **** face.
  • Kaaina - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    The random dex was becasue I believed at first when I started (20ish) that every 10 dex you gain 1% Crit ... Mistake as you noted lol ...

I keep my STR enough for armor/weapon that's all and rest into mag.

I only grind and do BH time to time. But 90% of the time I grind air mobs and I cut trough them like hot knife in butter !

My hp is real low 1.8k

My armour aren't really up to date, my weapon is but since I'm only grinding my armour are the last thing I worry about.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't think the 5 points is worth worrying a lot about a restat scroll unless you can find a deal or have the spare coin for one. I do PvE and do fine with Pure Mag.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Sleekit - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Ah yeah, there's a few arcane venos running around who made the same dex mistake. You're not the only one, think I probably did the same on my first veno.

So you're pure mg. Pure mg til around your level is generally advised.
    1.8k is familiar, I had the same amount when I was your level, haha, because I was pure magic right up until... seventy or so.

Armor that isn't up to date isn't a big deal, for PVE. As a venomancer on a PVE server it doesn't matter so much. My gear is way outdated but it isn't a problem for me.
    PVP, however, is another matter, everybody loves venomancers with crappy gear, haha, because they're easy to take down.
  • Kaaina - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    So Basically,

From now on should I finish my dex to have that 1% That would mean 10 more point ?

Can I let my Mag that way until I have 75-100 VIT ? And just update my weapon for damage or I won't keep up ?

For PvP as stated, I will only do TW and only at high end level, 90+. So well ...
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    dont worry with pvp. your build is far less relevant than your pet.

I don't recommend adding 10 more dex. crits are a bad deal for venos because of aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I would not add dex, pulling aggro is so b:cry. I would recommend re-statting 7 of those 10 points to your choice of Vit or Mag. I can't advise on which - I prefer Mag personally.

Weapon is most important for both damage and pet healing, armour can lag behind (I'm still wearing some level 7x molds).
  • Sleekit - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    So Basically,

1. From now on should I finish my dex to have that 1% That would mean 10 more point ?

2. Can I let my Mag that way until I have 75-100 VIT ? And just update my weapon for damage or I won't keep up ?

3. For PvP as stated, I will only do TW and only at high end level, 90+. So well ...

1. No lol. Dex on a arcane-wearing veno is next to useless.

2. Where you cap your vit is up to you. Playstyle, personal preference. So long as your mg stat [without gear add ons] is 6 points every 2 levels, you can wield the most up-to-date weapon. I dunno, does that work out at three times your level, or something? I'm not good with the math, I think about it in terms of points assigned/two levels lawls.

3. 90+ and PVPing you'd either have good arcane gear, or be considering going LA or HA/AA. Til then it doesn't really matter, you could practically run around naked. My gear is fifteen levels outdated and it really doesn't freaking matter because I'm a veno, on a PVE server.
  • Serinregis - Lost City
    Serinregis - Lost City Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I would not add dex, pulling aggro is so b:cry. I would recommend re-statting 7 of those 10 points to your choice of Vit or Mag. I can't advise on which - I prefer Mag personally.

Weapon is most important for both damage and pet healing, armour can lag behind (I'm still wearing some level 7x molds).

I would put the extra points in vit, but that's just me =). Since your pet is doing most of the damage anyway, an important thing for you would be survivability, since the longer you live, the more damage your pet can do.

Ofc, survivability is more about PvP, but if you were grinding one day and were hit ganged by mobs from behind, the extra hp can save you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    I would put the extra points in vit, but that's just me =). Since your pet is doing most of the damage anyway, an important thing for you would be survivability, since the longer you live, the more damage your pet can do.

Ofc, survivability is more about PvP, but if you were grinding one day and were hit ganged by mobs from behind, the extra hp can save you.

Better to just use some defense / vit equips as needed. Most of the time you don't need that much. Putting in vit also takes away from mag which is also mdef as well as mprecov, mp, and pet healing (which keeps you alive).
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I disagree with tweakz. At level 81 I have 55 base vit, and I couldn't imagine trying to play without it.

Now, if you're like tweakz, and have more money than you will ever need, go ahead and shard your armor with HP/physical defense. If this is the case, you don't really need vit. But remember, vit is free HP.
  • Sleekit - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Some of tweakz' reasons is something like, HP pots are cheaper so with soul transfusion is cheaper to keep your mana bar full.

I also disagree lawls, mainly because it's to do with personal preference and playstyle, man, Player A really doesn't want his pet healing power reduced, say, while Player B really feels a lot safer and more at ease with twice the amount of HP as a base even before shards and refines and whatever. Difference of opinion. Player C is pretty pro and works PVE like a god, so the extra HP is not needed; Player D maybe isn't so quick or gets a lot of lag, so they like the safety net to get them out of tight spots. Difference of circumstance.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    dont worry with pvp. your build is far less relevant than your pet.

Not so, if a person is smart enough to take out the pet, which I've noticed they often do now days, you are the next target, so you'd better be able to take/deal out damage without a pet.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Not so, if a person is smart enough to take out the pet, which I've noticed they often do now days, you are the next target, so you'd better be able to take/deal out damage without a pet.

that's the point. rather than pvp builds a Veno must learn how to keep pet alive at any cost. while pet is alive you have a great advantage. if pet is killed, checkmate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    I disagree with tweakz. At level 81 I have 55 base vit, and I couldn't imagine trying to play without it.

Now, if you're like tweakz, and have more money than you will ever need, go ahead and shard your armor with HP/physical defense. If this is the case, you don't really need vit. But remember, vit is free HP.

I think I've only spent $30 on the game, and more than that value has been stuck on my alt char since switching to Veno, so it's irrelevant. If you get your XP the easy way like WQ, CS, etc, then you don't have the coin, and you also don't really need vit anyway for your playstyle. -lol! If you actually play the game, you'll be able to afford the refines, and imbues. Actually a ton of shards drop from doing OMA quests if you do them, and you get mirages from them for refining. -Again, it requires actually playing the game. *poke*

If you are pure mag and have decent Arcane Armor, your mag defense is already high. This means you can focus a lot more on phys def with MUCH cheaper Garnet Shards letting the refines take care of your HP. If you sacrifice Mag for vit, your pet healing suffers unless you spend a fortune on weapon refines (wasteful with TT green weapons). You mdef also suffers so you spend more on HP and filling HP. I wouldn't even bother investing much into armor at lower levels because you shouldn't be keeping it long. Starting at level 77 is Sleeves of Sea Captain which I plan to keep to 100+ so I put perfect garnets in, and refine high. Since some of these equips are semi permanent now, they're not such a waste to invest in.

There are rare times when I do want more survivability, and for those I swap on some vit+9 rings that I found cheap, along with some higher defense / vit equips. I ALSO have equips for solo tank / spam healing with lots of extra +magic. -imagine that on a pure mag build. The times you actually need the extra vit, you don't tend to need the extra channeling, mag etc.
    edited August 2009
    I've "played the game" for 81 levels and I still can't afford to shard/refine my (very bad) gear. Though, after I finish selling everything I own, I may have enough to finally get a Hercules.

And when I said "money" I meant "in-game coin".
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    I've "played the game" for 81 levels and I still can't afford to shard/refine my (very bad) gear. Though, after I finish selling everything I own, I may have enough to finally get a Hercules.

And when I said "money" I meant "in-game coin".

I was pointing out that my in-game coin came from "in-game". There's nothing I'm doing that anyone else couldn't do.

Gems fall from mobs plentifully. Mirages can be acquired from quests including OMA (unlimited repeatable). - No reason you can't imbue or refine.
    edited August 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Gems fall from mobs plentifully. Mirages can be acquired from quests including OMA (unlimited repeatable). - No reason you can't imbue or refine.

From my own experience, I get a shard drop from one mob in about every 300 I kill, and it's usually an elemental shard. If this is what you call "plentiful", you may need to get yourself a dictionary.

I do get mirages quite a bit, but let's not forget the dragon orbs that are pretty much required if you ever hope to refine anything beyond "+1".
  • tweakz
    edited September 2009
    From my own experience, I get a shard drop from one mob in about every 300 I kill, and it's usually an elemental shard. If this is what you call "plentiful", you may need to get yourself a dictionary.

I do get mirages quite a bit, but let's not forget the dragon orbs that are pretty much required if you ever hope to refine anything beyond "+1".

That is plentiful. You have to kill way more than that just to get enough xp to level at your level, and how much until your next armor? Many people refine beyond +1 without orbs, some up to +3. Shards can also be bought and sold. With Arcane, you can sell the Citrines and buy the cheaper garnets. The amount of coin you can get from selling DQ and other valuable equips that are dropped should be more than enough to get whatever else.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    It's cheaper to buy orbs and refine than to refine up to +2 or +3 without orbs. Orbs on DW are 40k each, Mirage are 28-33k. 200k gets you a +1 and +2 orb, throw in the 2 mirage and you're looking at about 260k. Unless the odds would let you get a +2 with no more than 8 mirage otherwise, orbs are cheaper.

Anyways... WQ is evil for coin and if you don't make much coin you don't really attempt to. Just grinding I get about 500k a day, if I actually do something like TT it becomes insane.
    edited September 2009
    I do plenty of grinding. The problem is, my Shadou Cub's low damage output combined with me still wearing a TT70 weapon means I grind far more slowly than most venos my level.

I need to raise a new pet, but I don't know what, if anything to replace the cub with, since he's also my tank.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well, you're level 81 right now. I'm not sure how far into 81 you are so these numbers will be slightly off however... goto Immolation and kill oreliths. They're Earth element so the impact of your pet will be minimized assuming it can hold aggro, being 83 these will be good for you at no penalty to 85, and should be easily killable now (I could give you another type that's more OMA friendly so you get lots of rep, but you'll be sacrificing the earth element property). I just worked out the average value of their drops, according to the DB their average coin is 262 per kill, and the value of their drops is an average of 904.59 per kill for 1166.59 coin per kill. Each kill will give you a base of 416 exp, with about an extra 25% from mob bonuses for 520 exp per kill. According to the exp chart for each level you would need the following number of kills:
    81 8366.43
    82 9378.26
    83 10496.06
    84 11735.54
    85 13101.95

A TT70 sword uses 7.5 coin per nuke, and nothing for a heal. I assume you'll get hit some but not much, so lets go high and say 50 coin per kill for repairs, that's 854.59 coin per kill bringing you to these coin values for a pure grind:
    81 7,149,845.67
    82 8,014,545.06
    83 8,969,801.13
    84 10,029,042.39
    85 11,196,757.08

Current gold prices mean a herc will run you about 36,240,600 coin which is what you would have a bit into 85, or more likely if you're halfway or so through 81 right now, about the time you finish 85. While not the fastest way to get the coin (infact, it would take you 74 days at 6 hours a day, and 2 mobs a minute) that's one way you easily have available to you right now to get the coin for a new tank. Once you have it your coin options become a lot more varied. This isn't the best way to get coin or anything, but it's the absolute minimum. Given your current level, if you don't have your herc by 85 you've done something wrong. Some good ways of making coin don't even require you to kill anything, but instead finding and using inefficiencies in the market to your advantage, but specifics of those are up to you to figure out. What I will tell you though is, if you're average at it you can make about 2 mil a day for around 30 minutes of effort.

Anyways to the OP. My opinion on it is, you need to decide on if you want to be arcane or light (don't go heavy until later levels when it's more viable). Once you decide, start stating so that you can wear gear. Beyond that it's up to you where you want to put the points. My advice if you went arcane would be to dump it all (beyond 1 str every other level) into magic. I'm a believer in enhancing strengths, not trying to eliminate your weaknesses. The reason for that is, if you focus on your weaknesses you end up being mediocre at everything rather than excelling in one area. Being on a PvP server though, you may or may not want more HP, I don't have the experience with that to say.