Perfect World has MALWARE?!

Zackey - Sanctuary
Zackey - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Support Desk
As i went through a couple of regular things with my computer, i found out that one of my trusty malware scanners picked up one of Perfect world's files as "High risk" malware.
C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\patcher\SysInfo.dll

Anyone else run into this?

I use a-squared freeware type software distributed by CNET's download.com and has been "tested spyware-free". I am running on version 4.5.0.11 of the program. This is the only malware related type problem i've ran into since i reformatted 3 days ago prior to this post. I've installed this program at the time when i found out about it; when my computer was in OOB condition system-wise.

But heres what tricks my train of thought, i burned PWI. So either that new program i just installed is really good, and there is something fishy about the coding in that file. OR...

I may just be utterly screwed beyond belief as the knowledge of the fact that this is a supervirus (and has attached to this file when i burned the game onto a disk and is going to **** my hard drive till kingdom come) slaps me in the face... >:O
What signature?
Post edited by Zackey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    No problems with my "Paid for" Antivirus/Malware software.

What Freeware program are you using? This is sometimes the problem with Freeware they cannot afford the time/money to keep it up to date.
  • Zackey - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    In my post i said i use a-squared. Also i listen carefully to the reviews and ratings on the download site, so im sure because of the good input its a good program thats up to date.
    What signature?
  • Spinehealer - Sanctuary
    Spinehealer - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i read up that its a falce positive for most antiviruses. TrendMicro and i believe Macafee dont detect this as a virus, while others do.

I think it is because when you X it out in windowed mode, it goes to the start bar.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The game changes its own files, which can be viewed by some security apps as bad when it isn't.

Please review this post: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=850742&postcount=18
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    AVG is perfectly fine with it. Im pretty sure Avast! is cool with PWI too. Happens to a lot of games, especially games with gameguard (cant remember if PWI uses it). Most of the time its a false positive.

What anti-virus are you using? I recommend either AVG or Avast. Not a huge fan of Norton... pain in the ****, requires another program to even uninstall it.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Zackey - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    The game changes its own files, which can be viewed by some security apps as bad when it isn't.

Please review this post: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=850742&postcount=18

Well in this link theres stuff like security things and things to speed up my pc, which im not exactly keen to do because my pc is already in good state, and my hard drive is 70gb =\ So ill stay away from having 200 scanners and AV's but seeing as patcher needs to be an exception in that post ill take this file as an exception too and keep it in the "safe" list.

But you might want to add the actual SysInfo.dll file to your exception list in that post because the patcher seems to need it to run.

thx for the info though darthpanda
    What signature?
This discussion has been closed.