Smooth play on highest settings?

Feiric - Harshlands
Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Support Desk
Alright so you guys answered my question about Win7 very well and thank you.

On this computer I'm building (first time), one of the things I want to be able to do is play PWI at the highest settings with no choppiness, just nice and pretty. I know it's probably not possible in West Arch, but everywhere else is good enough.

So my question is what's the biggest factor in running with optimal settings at their best? Video card and internet conenction? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just in case anyone refers me to them, I read the recommended system requirements, but they were explained as "decent" gameplay, and I'm asking because I want "awesome gameplay." :P
Post edited by Feiric - Harshlands on

Comments

• Alexeno - Dreamweaver
    Alexeno - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i'd say... get the next-newest and/or next-better of each item on that list...

honestly, according to that list, i shouldn't even be able to play the game at all... what with my ancient-**** video card b:laugh

anyways, take that list as the equivalent of "Recommended Hardware" like you see on commercial video game boxes, that's my advice..

about the other part, video/internet... i've noticed that on the purely graphical level, video card means about 90% of it, while getting server lag causes graphical choppiness as well, but to a very small extent...

and about west archo, if you get the current (as of this post) top-of-the-line video card, you shouldn't have any graphical lag in west archo at all
  • cloezy1
    cloezy1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    IF you want a video card that can cover a very broad range of gaming with optimal settings, including Crysis on max with 30+ FPS, I suggest the ATI HD Radeon 4670. Its a cheap card nowadays and has 1GB Virtual Memory. It can and will play Crysis on max, but depending upon other factors such as Motherboard, CPU, RAM, it may not. It will on my custom PC.

I recommend DSL for internet.

There's one main difference between the more common broadband subscriptions Cable and DSL.

The difference is, with Cable, your speed may be high, but it depends heavily on how many other people are using the line as-well, where as DSL, its your own line and no one else is using it.
    (\-/)
    (o.o)

This is Bunny. Bunny wants to Rule the world.
    Put this in your sig to help Bunny to World Domination.
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Well I picked up this card the other day. I haven't opened the box yet, so I can return it. Seems like it'll be good though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

This the kind of thing we're talking about?
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Well, here's the card I got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

I'm hoping this is what you're talking about. My co-worker told me this should work for video editing and gaming. I'll find out next week when I finally get my RAM (6 or 12 gigs haven't decided yet) and power supply, so I can finally put this bad boy together.
  • cloezy1
    edited August 2009
    ummm 6-12 gigs is only usable by server pc's and 64-bit Os's. I would be very careful about using a 64-bit OS to play games. Video editing I imagine it would be excellent. Not very much software can be run by 64-bit OS's.

EDIT:

64 bit software works specifically for 64 bit OS's and hardware, however if you use a 32-bit software and use it on a 64-bit OS, the software will run in 32-bit mode only, and cannot utilize the functionality and increased performance of a 64-bit OS and hardware

So say for example you wanted to play this game and utilize all 6-12 gigs of ram. If this game is not 32-bit compatible, none of your hardware or software will change this, and you will only be able to use 3 gigs of ram for this game or any other 32-bit application. The same goes for a CPU that is 64-bit compatible. The CPU will only run the game with 32-bit in mind, not utilizing the other 32-bit.
    (\-/)
    (o.o)

• Feiric - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Really? I was planning on getting the 64 bit, so thanks for mentioning that. I'll look into it more. In my Win7 thread, someone said it worked fine with this game, or at least I think that's what he/she was reffering to ...

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=390782

I wish it were easy lol. Every time I do something like getting a computer, something always goes wrong and I gotta take an extra day or two to fix it.

I'm planning on getting Vegas or Adobe Premiere for video editing (it's my job.) So that's why I plan on getting the good stuff - the computers at work stink.
  • cloezy1
    edited August 2009
    Well the game might work in Win7 64-bit. I don't know how far along Win7 is in development with 64-bit and 32-bit backward compatibility and installation/execution.

I do know that Windows Vista 64-bit will play this game, but it will run it in 32-bit mode.

The only thing I'm saying is, sure you can have 64-bit, but 95% of the software out there is written for 32-bit hardware.... 64-bit is a ways away from being the norm mate.
    (\-/)
    (o.o)

• Feiric - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    I appreciate the quick answers. I'm wondering why my co-worker was telling me to get 64 bit. I should probably be second checking his recommendations, which should be common sense. I still use XP on my laptop, and don't have any knowledge of 32 or 64 bit - it's actually the first I've heard of it.

Thanks for the info.

I just talked to some guys who have the Win7 64 bit and they said it runs 32 bit programs fine. Apparently the Adobe CS5 is going to run on 64 bit, which is why I'm getting it. I hope everything works out lol. It's been hard for me to keep up with computers since they're constantly releasing new and better everything every few months. Maybe now that I'm getting my first custom desktop for home, I'll be learning a lot more.
This discussion has been closed.