Pickaxe ripoff's....

Mavado - Harshlands
Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Does anyone else get really annoyed when you see the a catshop selling pickaxes at twice the price they are at the merchant....... The only real reason this bother's me is because it's aimed at new players who don't know any better b:angry

And yeah.... i know this wont achieve anything, i don't really want it to, i just wanted to vent a little b:surrender
>_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
Post edited by Mavado - Harshlands on

Comments

• Darkjagans - Heavens Tear
    Darkjagans - Heavens Tear Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well there's always gona be people selling stuff at ridiculous prices even if they are cheaper at NPCs (Crazy Stone shards) to pick on the newer players, unfortunately there's not much we can do about it :\
  • Luxado_Ranks - Harshlands
    Luxado_Ranks - Harshlands Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    There are alot of con artists. And sadly for some it works. They sell pickaxes for 8000, regular lvl 30 flight gear that everyone gets for free for 60000, useless stuff like ragged fur and buddha's hand, free quest reward equipments and noobs buy them like wedding dresses on a sale. Always be reluctant when buying stuff from players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the everlasting stormbringer.
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well theres always gona be people selling stuff at ridiculous prices even if they are cheaper at NPCs (Crazy Stone shards) to pick on the newer players, unfortunately there's not much we can do about it :\

We can make a cat shop next to them with "<-- Rip off sales" as shop name images-11121.jpg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    99% of the vendors sell for higher prices because of bonuses the item comes with.

Or they are a 1-2 star upgrade from the original.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Darkjagans - Heavens Tear
    Darkjagans - Heavens Tear Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    We can make a cat shop next to them with "<-- Rip off sales" as shop name images-11121.jpg.
    well ok... you go ahead and do that while i spend my time more productively b:chuckle
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    b:laugh 3 star pickaxe <
    halves channeling time needed to farm material b:victory
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    b:laugh 3 star pickaxe <
    halves channeling time needed to farm material b:victory

I'd love to see something like that implemented - like level your blacksmith skill and farming mats is faster.

It does upset me when I see scammers specifically aiming at new players - the pet collars that you can get from Mrs. Zoologist are a prime example of this. That NPC is out of the way so it's not like new players know that the pet collars can be purchase from an NPC. I remember scouring the boutique avidly for them when I first joined.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Seraphe - Dreamweaver
    Seraphe - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Not too long ago while I was still doing Qingzi BHs I saw a catshop in the Secret Passage labeled something along the lines of of Extremely Rare Axe or w/e. It was a normal pickaxe for 1mil... b:angry

Also I don't think selling quest items are scams since some of them have a lv requirement that is lower than when you can pick up the quest. And seeing as they're not bound they're resellable. b:victory
  • ahhao
    ahhao Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    read before you click?
  • Daerina - Heavens Tear
    Daerina - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    lol i hate this too like when i see people in lost city around the pet manager selling collars for 15k when they're sold in arch for 10k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Daerina~Lvl79 Venomancer
    Sunny_Dae~Lvl41 Cleric
    follow me on twitter b:victory twitter.com/Daerina
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    lol i hate this too like when i see people in lost city around the pet manager selling collars for 15k when they're sold in arch for 10k

This doesnt seem like a scam. Since not everyone can get to archosaur before 20. the pet manager will allow you to rename, right in Lost City, but you cant get the collar yet. the extra 5k fee is a convenience fee or relocation fee. I've never done this myself but it doesnt seem that wrong. Now if it was 50k then it would be a rip-off.
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Not too long ago while I was still doing Qingzi BHs I saw a catshop in the Secret Passage labeled something along the lines of of Extremely Rare Axe or w/e. It was a normal pickaxe for 1mil... b:angry

I've done this a couple times as a joke. I would hope that anyone who has 1 million coins would know better than to buy a normal pickaxe for so much. Seriously though, I doubt that anyone who falls for something so obvious could have gotten 1 mil in the first place.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    This doesnt seem like a scam. Since not everyone can get to archosaur before 20. the pet manager will allow you to rename, right in Lost City, but you cant get the collar yet. the extra 5k fee is a convenience fee or relocation fee. I've never done this myself but it doesnt seem that wrong. Now if it was 50k then it would be a rip-off.

I agree. There's really nothing wrong with a convenience fee of 5k. It's the same concept as people selling DQ a little higher than NPC price. It's how an economy like this works. I'm selling something to you at a higher price than I could get for it otherwise, since I took the effort to get it, and you want it without the effort. You win, I win, we both go our separate ways a little better off.

Now... Pickaxes, and starter mounts for five times their amount? Those people just suck. Period. HOWEVER. And I will say this. If they were selling starter mounts at a little higher price than the rebuy of a mount you lost, to save people the effort of gathering the DQ for the quest, I see no problem with that. Selling a mount for say... 12500 actually would be okay in my book. Player A doesn't have to gather the DQ to do the quest, Player B makes a 2500 profit per mount. And I'm okay with that.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It comes with 150 stamina. A mirage gives you 15 stamina when you add it to a mount. So you would need 10 mirages to refil a noob mount.

10 mirages times 20k (lets low ball it), is 200k.

As long as they do not sell the mount for more than 200k, it is not technicaly a rip-off, since you it would cost you that much to refill yours to the original 150 stamina.

Anyone can go the NPC that gives out the quest aerogears and pay 20k for a replacement... if they choose to buy it from a shop.... it is their choice.

The item may be very overpriced, but it is still less than refilling it..... although way more than going all the way to the npc and getting a new one for 20k...
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Refilling an aero with mirages? Are you high or something?

3 perfect chi stones = 2 mirages... and is a far cheaper alternative since you can get them for ~1k or so each.

Better yet, mine some pig iron and coal dust, buy a red (or broken orange) jade from a merchant, and hope to make a 2 star peice of equipment. If you did, congratulations: you now have 120 or more yiyuans you can use which will have you ~30 away from a fully refilled aero.

That aside, anytime I see a starter aero going for above 25k, or a pickaxe at all (and I've seen people trying to seriously sell them to lowbies for 50k) I just kinda shake my head in amazement.
    edited August 2009
    Right on being cheaper to refill.
    15 pc x 1k = 15k
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    3 perfect chi stones = 2 mirages...
    Wrong on the value, 2 mirage = 3 perfect chi.

....>___>;

I don't see the difference....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
    edited August 2009
    ....>___>;

I don't see the difference....

Not enough caffeine..... pay no attention to me for another 30 minutes please....
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i know people who go extra to main citys for noobs and sell lucky notes for 100k to them...b:angry
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Andromaka - Heavens Tear
    Andromaka - Heavens Tear Posts: 925 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    or apothecary healing orbs in shops named "Ultimate substance" and advertising it at lower price then the market price b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Selling item that can be purchased from NPC available in most place and easily accessible at the higher price than NPC price is considered scam in all MMORPG I played.
    Same for buying item for the price lower than NPC price.
    I wonder if PWI has the same rule.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    A new one seems to be those "Gold foil" items, advertised as "Boutique Gold, 100k per 1g".
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Some people sell Buddha Hand or Organic Glue or other useless stuff, a large fraction of them is newbie who don't know that it is useless, especially when the description of the item clearly tell it is a mats. It is the devs's fault for making these useless item, so don't be so hard on the newbie.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ilystah wrote: »
    Some people sell Buddha Hand or Organic Glue or other useless stuff, a large fraction of them is newbie who don't know that it is useless, especially when the description of the item clearly tell it is a mats. It is the devs's fault for making these useless item, so don't be so hard on the newbie.

Have you even been paying attention to this thread? The ones we're annoyed with are the people selling either things you get for free, things that are useless, or things you can just buy from the NPC for an excessive amount.

On a side note, you're wrong. The basic DQs and mats that aren't actually used for dragon quests or manufacturing do not say they're used for anything in the descriptions. Once any newbie obtains the real things and checks the descriptions, they should notice the difference and be able to assume those basic items are either NPC fodder (true) or have some use they don't know about yet... which tends to lead to them asking what the items are for and then being told they have no use aside from NPC fodder.
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You could also add the people that sell the in game mounts for 50k when they sell for 20k. If the newbies read the game tells you where to get a pickaxe so it's their own fault
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
    edited August 2009
    You could also add the people that sell the in game mounts for 50k when they sell for 20k. If the newbies read the game tells you where to get a pickaxe so it's their own fault

The only way to "fix" this "problem" would be to remove all player-to-player trading (that includes CS). If players could only sell to npc and buy from npc, than there would be no issues... and for those that want CS items, get a job, and charge some zen... problem solved.

Are you sure this is what you want to see happening?
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The only way to "fix" this "problem" would be to remove all player-to-player trading (that includes CS). If players could only sell to npc and buy from npc, than there would be no issues... and for those that want CS items, get a job, and charge some zen... problem solved.

Are you sure this is what you want to see happening?

this is the main reason why I try to use the auction system for everything that I can. Cat shops are cool and all, but I don't have the free time to spend comparing prices that much
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    this is the main reason why I try to use the auction system for everything that I can. Cat shops are cool and all, but I don't have the free time to spend comparing prices that much

o_O Can i take that as meaning that you would agree with my idea displayed in another thread that improving the AH would be a great idea XD
    edited August 2009
    o_O Can i take that as meaning that you would agree with my idea displayed in another thread that improving the AH would be a great idea XD

I would love to see the search by item name option implemented, have have molds also subdivided by type
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I would love to see the search by item name option implemented, have have molds also subdivided by type

Agreed. :<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."