Are Wizards good at PvP?

Mitsuo - Harshlands
Mitsuo - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Arigora Colosseum
Not very specific, I know. But as a Wizard, will I be able to PvP well at 80+? TW's too late for me, and I can't really attend it. I keep seeing 'mages rock at TW' and so on, and so I started thinking that the only kind of PvP they're good at is TW. And I'd like to be able to PvP normally.

Anyway, are Wizards good at solo PvP?
Post edited by Mitsuo - Harshlands on

Comments

• ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Worst class for PvP. Of course you can always argue "...with good gear..." but anyone can get that good gear.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    true, but not every1 will get as much benefit as wizards from good gear.
    Few ex:
    - Highest magic attk and +xxx% bonus on dmg coming from wpn
    - 100% (120 or 150 on sage/demon) pdef increase. Whatever you put on you with pdef it's automatically worth twice that amount ( via 60% for cleric).
    - full buffed a wizard is a killing machine, that's why PPL say in TW they shine. Solo PvP/unbuffed or only self buffed wizzard is ... so and so. Buff it and it's a totally different story. Wizards are the big guns in this game, and like every big gun, they lack some other abilities, they need some protection sometimes to fire their nukes, but man when those things hit ... . In a PVP squad, if u have a wizard and the others don't the outcome is pretty much clear.
    Wizard is made for PvP, but not necesarily for SOLO PvP. We're the guns your team brings to a knife fight.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chili - Dreamweaver
    Chili - Dreamweaver Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    in solo pvp you have to be carefull as wizard, especially as robe one. you just can't stand around and tank other ppl's hits usually.
    you depend alot on apothecary stuff and distance shrink is your best friend.
    group pvp is where we shine, blowing up stuff while other ppl keep enemies busy is what we can do best and it's lots of fun.
    anyway the higher your lvl the better pvp becomes as wizard, once you are around lvl90 and have some good gear archers probably won't 1shot you anymore lol
    venos will still wtfpwn you if they aren't stupid or low lvl but that's another story b:surrender
    if you search for a good solo pvp class for around ~lvl80 i'd rather suggest venomancer or archer, but if you plan to play that game for long and reach lvl100+ wizard might actually be worth it for solo pvp, but group pvp is more fun anyway =P
    b:quiet
  • ilystah
    edited August 2009
    Hm, is it possible for pure magic wizard to wear heavy armor? Because I read somewhere that if you got enough +STR and +DEX on equipment and your armor have high -%requirement you can actually wear heavy armor with just a pure magic wizard. Not sre how true the rumour is but they can make wizard super strong.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It's a very different playing style, you need to kite a lot, you need to keep a close eye on your chi, and you're very prone to dying to pretty much anything. You're also going to be murdered by any phoenix higher level than you.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Mitsuo - Harshlands
    Mitsuo - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well, thanks guys. Time to quit my Wizzy, and not re-roll this time b:sad
    Can't seem to find a class I like. Thought it'd be the Wizzy, but I'd only started one to PvP, and because TW's out of range...

Ah well. See you all b:bye

*quits*
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    No, they suck, I only got my **** handed to me like 50 thousand times b:shocked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • ilystah
    edited August 2009
    Well, thanks guys. Time to quit my Wizzy, and not re-roll this time b:sad
    Can't seem to find a class I like. Thought it'd be the Wizzy, but I'd only started one to PvP, and because TW's out of range...

Ah well. See you all b:bye

*quits*

Good bye. Hope you can find a game with class suitable for you. Only 6 class in this game is quite hard to choose for many people with playstyle not fit into any of those.
    Devs are means to wizard, they remain the worst class around.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Not very specific, I know. But as a Wizard, will I be able to PvP well at 80+? TW's too late for me, and I can't really attend it. I keep seeing 'mages rock at TW' and so on, and so I started thinking that the only kind of PvP they're good at is TW. And I'd like to be able to PvP normally.

Anyway, are Wizards good at solo PvP?

Yes wizards are very strong in solo pvp but not at lvl 80, not even that strong at lvl 90. They really don't become extremely powerful until 99+ when all ultis, masterys and other skills are lvl 11 and they have enough hp/def to take some hits. And still than you need to spend a lot more on gear and refine than other classes. But if youre willing to get lvl 99+ and spend a huge amount of money to get +8-+12 gear/weapon, you will have the strongest pvp char in game and doing 20-30k crit in pvp will be like normal <.<.

Wizards benefits so much more from refines than mele classes, the dmg spikes from magic gets very high with a +10+12 weapon. Barbs + BM with a +12 weapon doesn't come close to that. It even gets kinda imbalanced endgame when wizards does 10k from a normal spell, but the BM still hits for 1k with his +12 GX, and the wizards isn't squishy anymore like he was at low 90, since he has high hp and def from 99+ gear. But thats another issue.

If you're only aiming for lvl 80 i suggest you play barb or veno b:chuckle
  • altp
    altp Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well u guys really helped me figure that out, i started pw w a cleric but i was told by a few friends that i should try a bm an ive tried playin a wiz be4 the bm but i finally made a wiz an shes lvl 43 atm. but yea i have a bm but my wiz became my main in place of my poor cleric although i still have her b:victory but the comments r super helpful!!! THX
  • Wolfkight - Harshlands
    Wolfkight - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well ppl say wizard r one of the best end game char cus the major damage so ya i think thye could be good for solo at high lvls
  • Magicalfist - Sanctuary
    Magicalfist - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Wizards are good at PvP. But you will need a fast mount. Wizards got low hp and phys def, but they are very strong on long range. You can kill barbs with ease. But when someone is stronger than you are, it almost always immediately finished for you.
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    But you will need a fast mount.

b:laugh what? I hope you are kidding. There is a summon time on those mounts and you will be dead and canceled faster than you can get it out.
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    best endgame class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I was attacked, today, by a cleric and a wizard. So I killed the cleric and the wizard ran.

So... er... I am not sure if this even means anything.

No it does not. Except that you were PvPing against failures.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum