do you think using all-caps in WC is rude? or any chat for that matter...

XtinkX - Sanctuary
XtinkX - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
personally i think of it as a way to point out something or to get someone's attention. recently i encountered someone who thinks that its rude, which i find pretty stupid since its just a game. what do you guys think?
Post edited by XtinkX - Sanctuary on

Comments

• FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I find it moderately rude.

Typically for me as soon as I see all caps, I stop paying attention to the person using them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I find it moderately rude.

Typically for me as soon as I see all caps, I stop paying attention to the person using them.

if you are using them in the ENTIRE sentence then yes. It indicates that you are yelling. I use them for EMPHASIS, if I really think it is needed in a sentence. I've put instances in which I'd use them in the above as you can see.

I don't think its rude. Its a preference. Just like some people type in pink or purple and its a preference. Altho as the above post stated, some feel its rude and ignore you all together. Which is kinda silly considering its just a style of text. WHAT is said is more important than the text in which it is said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Using it in an entire sentence is rude. On a single word, it's fine. It just emphasizes it. All caps usually makes you look like a nub anyway and gets you ignored. For example... typing.

WTB> Certain Item, offering 3m, please pm me, thanks =)

will most likely get more response than.

WTB> CERTAIN ITEM, I PAY 3.000.000!!! PM OFFERS FAST NOW PLZZ!!!
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't care about all-caps typists. Literally. Meaning if you type anything in all-caps, I don't read it. Which is particularly funny if you ask me to res you that way. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    REZZZ MEH NAO PL0X O_O!!!!11eleventyone!
  • Retributions - Heavens Tear
    Retributions - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I generally ignore the all caps WC.
  • Darkjagans - Heavens Tear
    Darkjagans - Heavens Tear Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Using it in an entire sentence is rude. On a single word, it's fine. It just emphasizes it. All caps usually makes you look like a nub anyway and gets you ignored. For example... typing.

This.

I don't wanna be mean or anything... but sometimes I just can't help but feel that those who constantly type in caps, even in normal chat are somewhat ****/noob... or well... childish.
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    People like to shout over the internet... why don't you let them :(
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    personally i think of it as a way to point out something or to get someone's attention. recently i encountered someone who thinks that its rude, which i find pretty stupid since its just a game. what do you guys think?
    I think writing in all lowercase is just as bad. b:chuckle

Proper capitalization and punctuation is used to help the reader see where the writer's separate thoughts and clauses begin and end. Writing in all caps or all lowercase is basically saying, "I am lazy. I don't want to bother with doing a little extra work while writing this, so I'll make the reader do it for me instead." I suppose that could be considered rude.

For short sentences or things that are typed in real-time it's ok, because those cases are usually time-constrained, and usually there's only one clause so it's pretty obvious where the thought begins and ends. And for texting it's understandable because of how difficult it can be to type on those devices. But for forum posts IMHO it just tells me that the author is somewhat selfish and lazy. No offense intended, but that's just how it comes across to me.

Edit: I should add that I don't expect you to change because of me. I don't expect anyone to change, so I generally don't complain about this. But just as you would think it would be wrong for me to try to change you, it's also wrong for you to expect people like me to change how we come up with our opinion of you. If you want us to have a better opinion of you, you'll have to make the change of your own volition. Or you could not care. Either way suits me.
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It's petty to even care.
    edited August 2009
    I personally consider 'shouting' in all caps to be the equivalent of a little kid screaming for attention, therefore I consider it rude.

Just because you don't care doesn't make my opinion petty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Here's a good guide for online behavior:

The Guidelines
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    tweakz wrote: »

The Guidelines

This is all very true. Too bad most people don't realize that there is some form of etiquette that should be adhered to on the internet. When all caps are used in any post, it usually tells me that the person is one of four things:

1) A whiny 13 year old that thinks he/she is always right, regardless of the topic.

2) A person who is trying a little too hard to make his/her point (works very closely with #1).

3) Someone who has very poor grasp of grammar, internet etiquette, or is just plain socially inept.

4) Someone who is genuinely angry, and feels that using all caps is the best way to show this.

Although, these all do have something to do with each other and are often seen hand in hand, they can be taken separately as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    People like to shout over the internet... why don't you let them :(

True, I mean, they are all the way over the other side of the world. How would they hear you otherwise? O.O
  • nederlandse
    nederlandse Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    True, I mean, they are all the way over the other side of the world. How would they hear you otherwise? O.O
    10characters
    +1

l\led, Level 4x Barbarian, Dreamweaver
    b:sad Had to leave his home in Kinetic b:sad
    (that's lower-case "L" btw)
    I love all these people who look at my level
    and assume I'm some nub that doesn't know
    what he's talking about... Sorry, I've been
    around since the East Coast servers launched.
    b:chuckle
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I do find it funny that the same people using Caps usually have the worst grammar. I ignore them immediately at that point.
    edited August 2009
    tweakz wrote: »

The Guidelines
    Too bad that these or any other rules don't seem to apply in an MMORPG. Otherwise, people would always be polite at spider lines, ksing would never happen. And there would be no such thing as "PK" :)

This is all very true. Too bad most people don't realize that there is some form of etiquette that should be adhered to on the internet. When all caps are used in any post, it usually tells me that the person is one of four things:

1) A whiny 13 year old that thinks he/she is always right, regardless of the topic.

2) A person who is trying a little too hard to make his/her point (works very closely with #1).

3) Someone who has very poor grasp of grammar, internet etiquette, or is just plain socially inept.

4) Someone who is genuinely angry, and feels that using all caps is the best way to show this.

Although, these all do have something to do with each other and are often seen hand in hand, they can be taken separately as well.
    Please refer to the above. Also I'd like to note, that not everyone has English as a first language. Their grasp of grammar may be skewed because of that. So grouping that person with the socially inept might be just a bit harsh.

I do find it funny that the same people using Caps usually have the worst grammar. I ignore them immediately at that point.

Sometimes I accidentally hit my caps button. Or forget that its on when I've used it. So it is sometimes a mistake to write in all caps. But if someone announced they was selling gold charms for 350k all in caps, I bet you wouldn't ignore that.. umm pretty much no one would!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Too bad that these or any other rules don't seem to apply in an MMORPG. Otherwise, people would always be polite at spider lines, ksing would never happen. And there would be no such thing as "PK" :)

Please refer to the above. Also I'd like to note, that not everyone has English as a first language. Their grasp of grammar may be skewed because of that. So grouping that person with the socially inept might be just a bit harsh.

Sometimes I accidentally hit my caps button. Or forget that its on when I've used it. So it is sometimes a mistake to write in all caps. But if someone announced they was selling gold charms for 350k all in caps, I bet you wouldn't ignore that.. umm pretty much no one would!

I would. Don't really need charms. Fox Form Veno. I've got plenty of ways to keep my HP up. :D
  • FoxyFelicia - Heavens Tear
    FoxyFelicia - Heavens Tear Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It's funny... In some/most games I played so far, whether they be MMO or MMORPG, typing in all caps would get you a warning then banned if you did it again...

I'm not saying they should implement this rule HERE, but still... typing in all caps IS annoying.
    [My personal quote]

"Sometimes you just wanna break away from it all but can't... so what do you do?"
    [An accident]

Aside from the sig I'll be using once it's done being colored (thanks for making it, Flauschkatze), I refuse to post any more pics on these forums. I've learned my lesson, and I don't wanna risk getting in trouble again by accident.
    [Special thanks]

=ಥ.ಥ= <-- Thank you, Konariraiden, for making this kitty sauce face for me, nya~ =^.^=
    edited August 2009
    I would. Don't really need charms. Fox Form Veno. I've got plenty of ways to keep my HP up. :D

Please note I did not say HP charms, I said gold charms. That can mean either HP or MP charms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuraSun - Sanctuary
    MuraSun - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I Prefer The People Who Think It Is Proper To Use Caps At The Begining Of Each Word. Major Headache To Anyone Trying To Read It. b:chuckle
    Audeamus Member
    edited August 2009
    I Prefer The People Who Think It Is Proper To Use Caps At The Begining Of Each Word. Major Headache To Anyone Trying To Read It. b:chuckle

I Do Give Them Credit For Putting More Of An Effort Into Being Annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxyFelicia - Heavens Tear
    FoxyFelicia - Heavens Tear Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Ooh, what do ya know... found something about all caps chatting in the ToS (http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms)...
    [My personal quote]

"Sometimes you just wanna break away from it all but can't... so what do you do?"
    [An accident]

Aside from the sig I'll be using once it's done being colored (thanks for making it, Flauschkatze), I refuse to post any more pics on these forums. I've learned my lesson, and I don't wanna risk getting in trouble again by accident.
    [Special thanks]

=ಥ.ಥ= <-- Thank you, Konariraiden, for making this kitty sauce face for me, nya~ =^.^=
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I Do Give Them Credit For Putting More Of An Effort Into Being Annoying.

You could do it the German Way, and capitalize the first Letter of every Noun. As well as string together all the Adjectivesdescribingeachnoun to make a Superlongnoun. b:chuckle
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You could do it the German Way, and capitalize the first Letter of every Noun. As well as string together all the Adjectivesdescribingeachnoun to make a Superlongnoun. b:chuckle

German is not a language, it is an infliction of the throat.

Topic:
    I find typing in all caps or (as Solandri has pointed out several posts back) all lowercase somewhat annoying but I can deal with it. I don't really mind poor grammar either as long as I can get a basic idea of what the person is saying.

What I absolutely hate are people who refuse to use any form of punctuation (at the very least use periods to end sentences). I know that I'm not exactly a shining example of perfection in this regard (I love using parenthesis) but at least I try. It's hard to understand what someone is saying when everything they say is one huge, jumbled mess.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't really mind people talking in CAP. The key purpose of speech is to get the information across, and talking in CAP still occupy the chat box as much as non-CAP.
    About the rule against CAP in TOS, it is only applied when you use to disrupt other people. Mens rea is important as always.
    As for grammar, not everyone know English, and I bet even British or American still get their grammar wrong. As long as it don't cause confusion it's fine.
    But then again, I don't find it rude for people to shout at me IRL, so that's just me <.<.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    punctuation > capitalization.

I'd rather see an all lower-case thought with punctuation than a properly capitalized thought with none at all.

But by and large, I give all-caps a glance if they're using decent grammar. If they're TYPN LYK DIS WUTLOLQQ I simply ignore them. I suppose all-caps doesn't annoy me (when decently proper grammar is used) nearly as much as it used to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    So, if someone was selling a Boa mount for 500k on WC in ALL CAPS. You wouldnt buy it?

Yeah, real smart.

Its kinda funny how the CAPS LOCK KEY is very prone to "breaking" but all the other keys seem to be invincibile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Cbastor - Lost City
    Cbastor - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i like it,gives me something to read while grinding or bored
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Why did you changed the wording on the all caps? If the all caps word exactly the same as the non-cap...then it is not all that bad. The point is you should based your decision on the tone/attitude of the sentence(s) and the message in that sentence not just because it's all cap and you wouldn't read it. I sometime use all caps to sell/buy stuff in west archo...due to there so many people yelling out to buy/sell/trade. Cap is just something to make your sentence stand out. On the other hand, if a person use all cap at all time and in every situation....now that is annoying and deserve to be ignore (like some of the WC spammer b:irritated)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]