Advice for high level characters helping in FBs

geisterkatze
geisterkatze Posts: 48 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hallo!

First let me express that any help in doing FBs is really appreciated. And there might players, who want to be done with the quests as fast as they can. But there are others, who want to know, what the FB is about and what has to be done on the way. For these kind of people a rush through a FB is less fun.
So please, if you have experience with a certain FB and help somebody do it, please explain to them, what you are doing on the way or let them figure out for themself. I think it enriches the experience of new players, when they are doing a FB. Thank you very much.

With kind regards
Geisterkatze
Post edited by geisterkatze on

Comments

• Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    we kill all the mosnters what you need for quest and then kill boss what you also need for your quest and we get exp from it. i don't think there is anything else to explain. maybe have some certain questions, more concrete >.>
  • geisterkatze
    edited August 2009
    So far I have completed FB19 and FB29 with the help of higher levels, so I can only talk about the "specials" there.
    1. Which path you have to take to reach the boss. This might not be a great problem with a linear layout of the dungeon, where the boss is just located at the end.
    2. A player with a tab needs to know where to use that tab and all the necessities to use it successfully, e.g. being the squad leader as far as I know.
    3. There might be other goals during the run, such as killing a certain number of mobs first.
    4. Sometimes you have to kill a certain mob (FB29) to open certain parts of the dungeon.
    5. Some mobs have adds, which you have to defeat first.
    6. Special attacks of mobs/adds and the boss, which the new player should be aware of, e.g. area attacks, debuffs, dots.
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    to answer those questions would be easier to make screenshot of fb map and then draw lines where to go and do what
    it actually would be nice guide if someone would make something like that for every FB and maybe for other instances too
    and pillars to tab fb are at start and at boss/es
    i learned about how to do those FBs from doing many runs with other players
    and mobs don't have adds what need to defeat 1st, they just have chain agro if they are close. In fbs there are mostly 2/3/4 monsters chained together, no matter to who you attack 1st, they all gonna run to you thats why need veno who can pull them one by one if party isn't strong
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    fast made guide for fb29 lol
    it is much easier to show on map what have to do instead of trying to explain with words, but i doubt i will ever make guides for all the fbs and instances...
    and there always can add lots of more information like lanterns inside there blows up, same with tower....so tower would be best to kill by ranged players etc etc
    to much work for me

untitled-4.jpg

edit: already double posted, don't want to make 3rd post
    when i was low level and new to game i couldn't even memorize all those instances, if those high levels would explain every single moment where and what to do i think i would go nutz. i felt being lost by going 10 metres inside that fb already and i still feel lost when i go inside fb51 so if people would explain me what and when to do to finish it i wouldn't understand/remember it anyway
  • geisterkatze
    edited August 2009
    Why not explain it during the run?

Example:
    HL = High Level leading the run
    NP = New player doing the FB with a tab

HL: Do you a tab for this quest.
    NP: I think so.
    HL: Do you want me to explain this FB?
    NP: Yes, please. I want to know what it is about.
    HL: The final goal of this run is to kill boss <xyz>.
    HL: But we have to kill some mobs on the way. There are <abc>, <def> and <ghi>.
    HL: Please stay close behind our group. The mobs here are very aggressive, especially abc, who can poison you.
    HL: Do you have a quest which needs a certain number of number of mobs?
    NP: I don't think so.
    Party reaches a special room, which contains a mob needed to open another part of the dungeon plus guardian mobs.
    HL: Please stay outside the room while my mates and I will take on the guardian mobs. They are lined up the walls and will attack anyone who enters the room.
    HL: There is mob <jkl> which opens another part of the dungeon when killed.
    Party reaches room with boss
    HL: Please stay away from the boss because he uses a devastating area attack. And we will attack the adds first because there are too many of them to have them in the boss fight.
    HL: But before we start talk to the pillar over there to use your tab.
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    That's really forced and unnecessary. The lower level should know which mobs and the boss (Er...you've got the QUEST in your quest log).

In addition, all that you've said can be summed up in:
    HL: Stand back.
  • geisterkatze
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I've noticed that many players here in Perfect World aren't much of the talkative kind, except for those advertising their wares on any kind of channel, of course.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I've noticed that many players here in Perfect World aren't much of the talkative kind, except for those advertising their wares on any kind of channel, of course.

Very few people will take the time to go over stuff with you, you were lucky they even helped you with the side quests.

FBs are not the best way to get exp/rep in this game, they are a nice one, but not the best. The high levels that are helping ARE NOT doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are in fact chaining FBs to maximize the exp and rep they get. Taking time to explain things would slow down the FBs.

The best way to learn about FBs is to join a guild and have your runs with your guild. Guild runs tend to be far more relaxed, and people will always make sure you got everything done that you needed, and they will take the time to explain things to you.

The best way to run FBs is with your guild. Less stress, less rush, and everyone is much happier.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009

^^ This is because many are on vent b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • geisterkatze
    edited August 2009
    ^^ This is because many are on vent b:pleased

With vent you mean ventrilo or any similar voice communication, I guess? Within a faction or fixed group that is certainly the case but I doubt that this is the rule.
    edited August 2009
    With vent you mean ventrilo or any similar voice communication, I guess? Within a faction or fixed group that is certainly the case but I doubt that this is the rule.

the high levels are on vent, the tabber is stuck talking to himselves, since the high levels have their chat windows minimized.

Remember, they are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are "grinding" FBs, and you are only the holder of the tabs.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Ventrilo yes....

Rule? No, there is no rule to it. I am just saying, in fb's generally it is the same guild or close friends. In that case, they can communicate differently.

I try my best to let the tabber know what is going on...However, I have also been on some runs with VERY clueless people and in that case you just run to get it done.

At least I give Boss drops to the tabber...technically I do not have too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • geisterkatze
    edited August 2009
    Remember, they are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are "grinding" FBs, and you are only the holder of the tabs.
    I feel so used now. b:shocked b:sad b:cry
  • DarkYin - Dreamweaver
    DarkYin - Dreamweaver Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Man, I remember the first time I did FB29 (my tab, obviously).

The biggest problem was trying to get there, haha. Got killed by the tombstones by the Chest of Earth along the way. b:surrender
  • Keenan - Dreamweaver
    Keenan - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Random squads thrown together are almost always rushed. My faction offers to do runs for people though, and we always try to make it a fun smooth run with chatting in between. If I'm the one organizing the fb or was asked by the tabber personally, I try hard to tell them what's going on and things they should watch out for like side quests and tricky mob groupings. I feel like it's better to teach them now so that they know how to do their own runs later on. Three situations often end up happening for me:

1. The tabber could care less about the dungeon and just wants to get the quest done. In that case, it's hi, got tab?, kill fest, ty for fb, bye... which always makes me feel a little sad because I never get to know the person I just did the run for, and s/he got nothing out of it except the quest completed. I had one tabber who openly told me that my trying to explain things was too confusing and asked us to finish the instance as quickly as possible. Oh well.

2. The tabber is incredibly curious and has questions for everything. In that case, my faction mates and I are happy to point out things like which guard to kill in FB39, which bosses have aoe, etc. I love those runs because it's so much fun with all the chatting going on, and I often end up seeing the tabber again whether it's helping them on a quest later on after being friended or being asked to run another fb for them down the road.

3. I join a random group that needs a cleric, and the run is done in a very business-like way. If tabber has questions, they're answered shortly and very to-the-point. If not, tabber is forced to follow and keep back and watch wide-eyed as lvl 8x and 9x clear the dungeon in fifteen minutes. I've been in those cases seeing as how my lower fbs have all been done in these squad because my faction didn't have enough high levels in them at the time. The squads weren't unfriendly, but they weren't helpful either. You often end up feeling like an annoyance, and you thank the high levels profusely for helping out even though you don't feel like you learned anything.

I think case 3 really made me try hard to explain fbs to lowbies now, just because I know how confusing they can be and how nice a fun smooth fb run can be where you feel like you've learned something. With that said though, people have bad days, and people have different reasons for doing runs. I know I'm coming up on fbs where I'm likely going to be thrown into case 3 again, but I'm kind of used to it now even though it's not ideal.

I do wish higher level people could walk me through the harder instances or at least tell me what I need to watch out for as a cleric when I'm the one running them for others later on. I understand that if you aren't friends with the high levels though or in the same faction, it's probably not going to happen.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    HL: Stand back.

Quoted for truth
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I try to be as helpful as I can during runs, but to be honest I feel the burden rests on the tabber if they want to learn.

If I go in to a dungeon with a team of inexperienced guildies . . . I'm happy to walk them through it and give them as much advice as possible.

If I answer a random shout asking for help with a FB, I'm going to make sure the tabber gets his quests and drops, get my exp/rep, and get out as fast as possible.

I'll do my best to tell you what to do to keep you safe and make sure we succeed. If you have a question about specifics, it's on you to ask it. I'm happy to answer it, but if you don't ask I'll assuming you don't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • WickedSwords - Heavens Tear
    WickedSwords - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well to be honest one of the reasons i tag along on fb runs is to get some exp and rep(tho its not my main agenda for doing fb runs,since i help out lot of FB's for friends and sometimes to random squads.).I personally like to give full explanation to any newbie about FB run its currently in progress and if time lets me do so(if am not being attacked by bunch of FB mobs or forced to tank certain bosses.),and of course as helpful as i am there are some rules i stick to during FB runs with either friendly squad or random squad.
    But for anyone who needs any insight or FB help and am available to offer my assistance feel free to call me up (if you are in HT server of course xD.).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I strongly advise new players to not accept offers of help from random high level players.

It's really sucky and unfun.

Get a faction. A *nice* faction. The game is much much better that way.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2009

The best way to run FBs is with your guild. Less stress, less rush, and everyone is much happier.

+1 and more fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Xymantha - Dreamweaver
    Xymantha - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    the high levels are on vent, the tabber is stuck talking to himselves, since the high levels have their chat windows minimized.

wrong.. FB "grinding" is way slower xp than doing One man Army and Justice envoy. I just did 2 FB's today and 4 other boss fights - I earned 1% xp from it. In the time I spent doing that - I could have gained 20% XP. FB's are truly crappy ways to gain xp/spirit/rep, especially if you are much higher level than the FB run. The only reason I went back to fb 39 the other night was to help my sister with her FB. And I explained all of it.
    Quoted for truth
    quoted for lies. a squad who says "stand back" is one who doesnt want to heal the tabber. likely the cleric doesn't have the level of concentration or skill to heal the tabber. The only bosses I've ever "stood back" on were Jewel and Mantavip. AFAIK No one can take their AOE at the level they get those boss quests.
    Yeah, I strongly advise new players to not accept offers of help from random high level players.

It's really sucky and unfun.

Get a faction. A *nice* faction. The game is much much better that way.
    I actually turned down a higher level Barb from doing my sister's FB run the other night. Reason being - she wanted to actually participate. Doing FB runs with higher players leaves no room for participation and learning. Not just learning "where do I go and how do I tab" but learning how to play your class.
    I'm a man
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i tutored alot off low levels back when i did more fbs
    but yeah now helping makes me bored and my level ruins the item drop rates i just do 19s for my friends alts if they cant find anyone else quickly
    i stil do 29s but yeah after i can solo something it seems like less fun to do it
    i had my longest time doing lowbie fbs now

anyways if i helped someone i gave them some information about whats a fb is but you mainly get experience from helping in fbs
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
    edited August 2009
    wrong.. FB "grinding" is way slower xp than doing One man Army and Justice envoy. I just did 2 FB's today and 4 other boss fights - I earned 1% xp from it. In the time I spent doing that - I could have gained 20% XP. FB's are truly crappy ways to gain xp/spirit/rep, especially if you are much higher level than the FB run. The only reason I went back to fb 39 the other night was to help my sister with her FB. And I explained all of it.

I know :) however, what I am told by the people that run FBs is that they do it so they do not have to grind on regular mobs, so they are in-fact, FB grinding. The thing is, they are not doing it for exp, they are doing it for Rep. Even though you can match the rep of an FB by doing omas and justices, some people just hate regular mob grinding, so they do FB grinding instead.

Also, you better help your sister with her FBs and cult bosses!!!!! She is family :)