umm, what just happened?

Options
XtinkX - Sanctuary
XtinkX - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
i was doing a quest that required me to kill wretched hydrolaces. i go there, kill a couple, and i notice something really strange. when i'm in the water (not swimming) i do half the damage i normally would do against this mob. I even checked my equipment, and its fine. for example, pre-patch i would hit about 6.2k with Sandstorm when i'm in the water and now post-patch, i hit half. i tested this out again by attacking this mob when i'm on the water and my attack did half damage. i immediately got back on land, did the same attack, and it dealed damage double that of what i did in the water. i read the content update and saw nothing about differences between land and water damage output. is this something new?
Post edited by XtinkX - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Amarta - Sanctuary
    Amarta - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Not a glitch, there's always been a formula where you do half damage against a target if you're not on an even field with them (i.e. on land attacking something in the water, in the air attacking something on land, etc.)
  • XtinkX - Sanctuary
    XtinkX - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    like i said, pre-patch i was able to attack these water mobs on their field (the water was at knee level) with normal damage. now when i do this, its half damage.

EDIT: i tested it again with other mobs i used to kill. when the water is about knee-level, the damage halves. this NEVER happened to me before the patch was released today
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Maybe new bug? All these patches makes more bugs >.>
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    GRAB TEH PITCHFORKS!
    You were probably just deep enough for the damage reduction to apply. The formula was always there; air-ground-water fights suffer a 50% penalty. You were just in a bad spot. The swamp is simply like that, veno's land pets get automaticlly stowed the second they step foot in the water in that place. Just move half an inch, shout land ho and nuke those mobs with all you got =P
    b:dirty
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    yea, its always been like that. you dont actually have to be in water deep enough to swim for the reduction to apply.
  • DemonicLight - Dreamweaver
    DemonicLight - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Im doing half of the normal damage when im in air.But sometimes im doing even less damag
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Im doing half of the normal damage when im in air.But sometimes im doing even less damag

are u fighting land/water mobs? If so that is why ur doing less dmg.. Stop sniping from the sky and fight the mobs face to face.. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    So if I'm understanding this topic correctly, since the patch anytime you're standing in water, even if you're not swimming, you're gonna do half damage?

I'm not gonna automatically dismiss this as a bad idea (not saying it's good either) but sometimes in the Swamp, it's hard to tell if you're swimming or not. This will be a good way to remember to stay on land at all times and may encourage people to party if they are having a hard time finding mobs on dry land.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Hmm, lemme test this before I give comment.

EDIT: Tested and working fine here. I hit full damage on Deathknights in knee-deep water.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Sorry to double post, but the OP is in fact right O_o

It appears now that in certain areas of the swamp where the water is just fractionally deeper, but still only knee deep, you get a 50% reduction as if you were swimming in water.

This happened on 4 different deathknights randomly. I noticed moving over a little to where the water seemed fractionally less deep (the surface in the swamps is a little uneven) would cause me to hit full damage again. Neither me nor the mob were even near being at swimming depth.

The annoying thing about this is it takes a while to notice. =/
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I hate the F#$%ing swamp. You never know whats gonna happen. Yesterday I found a spot that I swam across but my pet walked across just to stow a min later in very shallow water WTF. I don't think the game physics likes that place.
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I know, but like I said, that's the swamp for ya. Just a clipping issue I guess. Veno pets and mounts also get stowed in those spots, even if's not actually swimming depth. Always been that way.
    b:dirty
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Options
    True but I've never had the half damage issue before though. Seems like it's a new additional bug.

It's a pain, most mobs don't move, they just stand and spam magic so you can't lure them to a better area. Barely hitting 750-1200 off lv70 "increased life" mobs isn't fun. -.-