Dexterity for clerics?

Elliannya - Heavens Tear
Elliannya - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Cleric
I have a couple of questions. First, does dexterity give crits to the healing skills or just the damage skills?

I mainly play my 29 cleric with an archer. We usually kill things before they even reach us so we rarely need heals unless we get surprised by extra mobs or fight elites. I am so tempted to put points into dexterity because I LOVE getting crits. Right now i have 25 pts in dex and i have 2% crit chance. I noticed a big difference going from 1% to 2%. I have a lot more fun now getting whopping big crits. But... I don't want to be a useless cleric in later levels when I plan on joining squads (i think they are called zens?).

I'm hoping some knowledgable people can give me their opinions? Anyone have a cleric build that is 8mag, 1str, 1 dex every 2 levels? No points in vitality? Right now vitality seems a waste of points. When I get aggro I throw on plume shell and stack a couple heals and/or fly out of range if it gets dicey. I do die anyway sometimes but is a few extra points in vitality every 2 levels going to make much difference when I wear arcane armor?

Thanks ahead of time for any input.
Post edited by Elliannya - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Clerics do not really need Dex.

And as far as vit, adding some is not a bad idea. But to each there own. I know some that have a lot of vit and others minimal to none.

I personnally have a base vit of 50 and have never added any Dex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I would strongly recommend not putting points on dex. If you want extra dex, get gear that has dex bonuses. And you are right in thinking that vit is mostly a waste. I'd say 1 vit every 3 or so levels, whatever str you need for equipment, and the rest on mag. Someone once told me to add 1 vit every lvl, but didn't tell me when to stop, so now I have 60 vit and desperately regret it. b:cry

And flying away from mobs is going to get you killed. In the time it takes you to activate your wings, you could have run a much farther distance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • HolyMokona - Lost City
    HolyMokona - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    HI well first im just gonna say this is my 1st forum post/reply^^
    Be kind =D

Anyway...back to topic,
    First im pretty sure heals dont crit at all, so dex wont affect that.

As for "Anyone have a cleric build that is 8mag, 1str, 1 dex every 2 levels"
    an interesting idea that would work, its pretty much pure mag, but i doubt the 1 dex per 2 lvls will really effect your crit that much.
    I think its 20 dex per 1% CRIT...(not sure)

As for me...(being a cleric and all)...b:chuckle
    Im a light Armor cleric so my build is 3mag, 1str, and 1dex, each lvl.
    so its 6mag, 2str, 2 dex every 2 lvl's.

You say you have 25 dex so far, what are your other stats?

Depends what you want really, you want more crits i would say go LA, I personally love my cleric, i do good damage, do good heals, have decent all round defence, and my current crit is 3%, nearly 4...(i think)
    Not much but like you say, you do notice the difference.

Though anything other than light armour for a cleric i wouldnt say add dex, The crit in the end isnt really worth it.
    You could say what about 7mag, 1str, 2 dex each lvl, and still be a robe, but well you might as well sacrifise one more mag, for LA.

Being an LA cleric i know what its like to have no VIT and low health, but like you say when things get dicey you have your heals and plume shell to use then run/fly away.
    I havent really needed vit, and i like having a well rounded defence, so i dont mind having a lower magic defence for a higher physical defence, and the ability to heal is always nice =D

Just my opinion though, hope i helped^^
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Might wanna take that dex off =x depending on your build and how you stat, your normal attacks will be so high you dont need to rely on crits like other classes. Unless you just like seeing crit for eyecandy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    Chrisssss - Sanctuary Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yeah putting stuff into Dex will hurt your heals because your heals are also based on your base mag. If you want crit find a arrow that has a 1% crit on it and place it in your arrow slot. Or you can get a x-mas blessing or a tome that gives + something in crits.
  • Elliannya - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts :)
    My base stats are Vit(10), Str(21), Dex(25), Mag(94). My buffed stats are Vit(12), Str(24), Dex(25), Mag(101). I have 10 unused waiting until i figure out how to spend them.

I guess adding any more dex is a bad idea lol even though I DO like seeing the crits (eyecandy as Deceptistar said). I never thought about adding gear that adds a percentage to crit like some of you suggested (arrows? on a cleric? lol would have never thought of that!)

HolyMokona: LA cleric sounds like fun BUT it kills me to think about putting a ton of points into strength when it will not benefit my spells at all. Do you ever melee mobs then?
  • Xerow - Dreamweaver
    Xerow - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    If you want crit find a arrow that has a 1% crit on it and place it in your arrow slot.

...does that actually work?
  • ChronicDose - Harshlands
    ChronicDose - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Um yes.
    I have 6% crit at lvl 70, 7 points away from 7%

Use the worst bow you can find, from the noob city, equip it , then the arrow, then equip your magic sword.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think the arrow thing has been widely contested and after some quite impressive testing by some, it's been shown that it likely makes no difference. The Christmas Blessing works to add 1%crit, if you want to spend your money on such a thing.

No point in getting a crit heal, if the rest of your heals are bad because you've got points in Dex. I'm not even sure if heals do crit but think that for a cleric, constant mid heals are better than lots of smaller heals and one high one every once in a while.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    If you're wearing robes DO NOT add dex. At all. If you want crits, go with light armor and even then do not add any more dex than your current set needs.

As for the crit arrow thing, it doesn't actually work. Official GM word is, if it actually worked, it would've been a bannable offence.

Also, there's no such thing as a crit heal.
    b:dirty
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The GM's have tested the crit arrow. (This has been discussed in depth on the BM forums) And it only applies when using the bow and arrow. Even though it shows up in your stats it will not add crit to your magic attack.

Rings, weapons, and equipment that adds tons of dex is your best bet at getting more crit.

Hmm...i have a cleric alt i am a pure magic build. And i make sure to have at least a 2 star weapon or better. The best rings i can find. And i kill 90% of my mobs before they ever even touch me. When i do crit....its awesome...but not needed.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HolyMokona - Lost City
    HolyMokona - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    To answer your question-
    "Do you ever melee mobs then?"
    NO....NO...NO...NOOOOOOOOOOOO...XD

I know it seems odd...WHY ADD STR!?!?!?!? IM A MAGIC CLASS!?!?!?!?!? >.<
    True that it doesn' benefit your spells, but ive never seen it as a hiderence, I added the 1STR, 1DEX, each lvl because i wanted light armour, for the extra phisical defence.
    It may seem like id have a lack of magic compared to other builds, but ive never had a prolem with it^^

So even though im never gonna use the STR for attaking, ive always seen it as a means of wearing LA. Same as adding DEX, ive only ever seen it as a means of wearing LA, not for the crit, but the crit is just a small bonus of it.

As for adding a crit arrow, its ammusing wether its true or not =)
    id never thought of it, i but dont think it will work because id would think that the arrow needs to be used/fired for it to work...i dunno.

In the end it all depends what you want, if you want to stay as a robed cleric i wouldnt say add dex, if you wanna try LA go for it =D
  • Elliannya - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Thanks everyone for the responses. You've really helped me figure out how to build my cleric. I'm not going to add any more dexterity. I bought a couple of +crit % items to wear and i'm now at 4% crit which is lots of fun :) I do like to see those big numbers! b:laugh

I did try to equip a crit arrow but was unable to. I'm going to try what ChronicDose suggested and equip a bow first. It's worth a try. b:pleased
    edited July 2009
    I did try to equip a crit arrow but was unable to.
    get a lv1 bow and equip it. then just take the bow off and the arrow remain.s
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • ChronicDose - Harshlands
    ChronicDose - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The GM's have tested the crit arrow. (This has been discussed in depth on the BM forums) And it only applies when using the bow and arrow. Even though it shows up in your stats it will not add crit to your magic attack.

Rings, weapons, and equipment that adds tons of dex is your best bet at getting more crit.

Hmm...i have a cleric alt i am a pure magic build. And i make sure to have at least a 2 star weapon or better. The best rings i can find. And i kill 90% of my mobs before they ever even touch me. When i do crit....its awesome...but not needed.

I cried a single tear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    I cried a single tear.
    I demand more