Do the Devs know or care.....?(semivent)

FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Chronicles
...that a large number of players here are low income, or on fixed income, and have no way to buy the expensive pets and items in the cash shop? or that there are players who put every coin they make into leveling their skills and those of their pets, leaving none to spend/save up for things like hercs or phoenixes? (despite the urban legend, not all venos are rich).

in online games, there is a large percentage of people who are disabled, who live on SSI/SSDI, which means there is no money at all for spending on things like cash shop items. and many other are 'the working poor', who live below the poverty level, who play this to try to escape the misery of having nothing you really would like to have. in both cases, time online is often limited, which means little or no time to grind up enough coin to save. we try to do our best, but we cant afford to buy the best armour, the best weapons, spend the hours in TT to find mats for the weapons/armour, to buy and save up SoFs or feather for phoenixes or hercs. and despite the fact that we do the best we can with what we CAN get, many ingame and inforum ridicule us, belittle us, as if we are not trying hard enough.

and it hurts. God, it hurts.

i wish that those rich people who are so cruel to those who cant afford the expensive game items could spend a week living our lives....the pain, confusion, loneiness of the disabled players, who come here seeking escape from pain and often soulkilling depression. or the man/woman whose job barely puts food on the table, and comes to this game to enjoy beauty they do not see otherwise. and then when both peoples meet with thoughtless cruelty or -sometimes worse- suggestions intended to be helpful,but are simply impossible- the pain of the IRL situation hurts even worse.

Please, someone....anyone. pass this on to the devs? please find a way that the loyal fans of this game, who are not well off in the real world can have things that the rich/well off/better players have?

and, please....let us have a way to turn off the announcment that tells us of the good luck of all the players who can get the wonderful pets? it is too painful to have to see this constantly on weekends like this. i speak for myself in this, especially....i have tried so many times to save up for a phoenix, but have had to sell the tiny collection of feathers, in order to buy skills for myself or my pets. i am so glad for those so lucky to have their wonderful new pets and mounts....but, i wish to God i could too!

(im really sorry...im terribly depressed this weekend. we have had a terrible month. my beloved greyhound, who had been my service dog, escaped and was found drowned 4th of July week, and we have been hit with a number of massive medical bills, in addition to losing some dear friends here and in the real world...please, dont be mean to me, or flame me?)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
"Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
Playing here since '08b:heart
Post edited by FoxRunning - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    and, please....let us have a way to turn off the announcment that tells us of the good luck of all the players who can get the wonderful pets?

As for this little part, I agree with it. Maybe not for the same reasons, but at times it gets irritating, especially during times when there are sales that are announced through system announcements (Nightmare comes to mind). The reason you can't turn them off is because they're part of system announcements, and PW needs to be able to send out system announcements to everyone.

It should be separated into "social announcements" (name contributed by Sile, the genius <3), and give us the option to turn it off. That way, we don't have to read the marriage/item announcements, but PW can still get in contact with the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Squeaker - Lost City
    Squeaker - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    if only there were a way to play this game without spending any money

maybe we could call it "free to play" or something

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    We do get exploited more than people know, speaking to someone who quit the game a while ago because of the Dev's here I was made aware of numerous underhanded money making methods they use.

Glitches that promote the loss of money take the dev's months to fix, some are never fixed. Whereas exploits that appear allowing the player an advantage in money making soforth are fixed in a week or sometimes even less. They spam sales onto us hiking up the gold prices whilst not adding real content into the game.

No doubt the GM's will lower depth's this as it makes the company look bad.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • nederlandse
    nederlandse Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    foxrunning, i can do nothing but give you respect for having the willpower to come out and say something that most likely will get you backlash from the entire pwi forum community, as well as possibly the GMs

i'd also like to say you are not alone in your situation, although you are definitely better off than i am

sorry to hear about your losses, i can empathize with the pain of losing those who you care about deeply

keep tough, and hang in there, something good always comes for those who are patient, and do what they can to help, and not hurt, others

and to all those who will inevitably flame/troll/denounce/ridicule/etc, stfu, gtfo, and go hang yourself from a tree. what foxrunning has posted here is straight from the heart, and deserves the proper respect thusly

l\led, Level 4x Barbarian, Dreamweaver
    b:sad Had to leave his home in Kinetic b:sad
    (that's lower-case "L" btw)
    I love all these people who look at my level
    and assume I'm some nub that doesn't know
    what he's talking about... Sorry, I've been
    around since the East Coast servers launched.
    b:chuckle
  • Cholla - Harshlands
    Cholla - Harshlands Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Even low level characters, like me, can earn quite a few coins in this game, if they choose to do so. I am sorry you have not done well, but I believe, if you made earning coins a priority, you could earn enough coins to by enough golds to pay for a legendary pet, in month or two. (Or a bit longer if you can only play for an hour or so a day.)
  • Kapseisin - Dreamweaver
    Kapseisin - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes, it is better to appreciate what you do have instead of wanting what you don't have. Of course it's easier said than done, but I think moving into that mentality might make you happier than just filling up material voids. I hope you find your peace, somehow. :)
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    in online games, there is a large percentage of people who are disabled, who live on SSI/SSDI, which means there is no money at all for spending on things like cash shop items. and many other are 'the working poor', who live below the poverty level, who play this to try to escape the misery of having nothing you really would like to have.

800$ a month barely covers bills and food :|. (excuse my spelling, im rather hurt, my rent just got raised again ;[)

hitting the nail on the head makes me cry. i feel you fox, all i can say is, from my perspective, its been a blessing to have the ability to earn those legenddary pets off ing game coin. if you realllllyyyy wannt to get one, the oppurtunity is there, it just takes dedication, a little bit of pain, but its all worth it in the end. just be glad you have the oppurtunity, i mean most games dont even give you he chance to acquire cash items w/o paying for them, and when they do, theyre timed :|, pwi is a wonderfully ran game, i mean ill occasionally slip in like 5-10$ off recycled cans for a charm or two lol, but other than that all my cash items i own are bought with coin.

keep your head held high, itll feel rough now, but we can get through this economic trouble bad things wont last for us SSI/SSDI recievers forever.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    This topic gives me an idea....b:victory
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    IMO, PWI has been great in terms of the cash shop items. Many other MMOs force you to buy cash shop items with RL money. They are untradable and unattainable with in game currency. PWI offers ALL of the cash shop advantages to everyone. You can easily buy what you need from the CS with in game currency. I know tons of people who did not spend any money on the game and have nix/hercs/well refined gears/etc. Its tottaly possible for those who do not spend any money on the game to buy hercs/nix. I got both my nix and herc without spending a single dollar on them.

Edit: sorry if I missed the entire point of the topic. TBH, I didnt read it all.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • ThirdEye - Dreamweaver
    ThirdEye - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I honestly never expected to see a thread like this. I myself never had the courage to admit such things. At least not in a public manner like you have. I also live off SSI. It's difficult at best to make ends meet, but on rare occasions I've been able to purchase a little zen for charms. Personally, I dislike seeing all the messages of who got a herc or a nix. It's aggravating when my veno and my archer both put every coin possible into get a herc to make farming easier and yet after two months I've got all of about 600 source of force. That's with both characters being completely broke. My archer has all of 9k coins to it's name at the current time. My veno has somewhere around 100k I believe. At the very least, some way to be able to make coins a little easier would be very much appreciated by many of us. I fully support the idea of being able to turn off the global announcements. All it does is remind me of the incredible struggle to get one of my own. At the rate I'm going it may well take another 6-8 months before I get anywhere near enough to get a herc.

@FoxRunning I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I wish you the best. Thank you for having the courage to voice the thoughts most of us won't.
    IMO, PWI has been great in terms of the cash shop items. Many other MMOs force you to buy cash shop items with RL money. They are untradable and unattainable with in game currency. PWI offers ALL of the cash shop advantages to everyone. You can easily buy what you need from the CS with in game currency. I know tons of people who did not spend any money on the game and have nix/hercs/well refined gears/etc. Its tottaly possible for those who do not spend any money on the game to buy hercs/nix. I got both my nix and herc without spending a single dollar on them.

Edit: sorry if I missed the entire point of the topic. TBH, I didnt read it all.

What you don't seem to realize is that some of us are on servers where the gold price has reached 180k+ each. Just for an example, say you grind on foxwing supremes for an hour. You might make about 100k if you're lucky on drops. The average price for one source of force or nix feather is around 3.2-3.5k on Dreamweaver (not including the brief discounted price from the sale). So let's do the math shall we? Assuming you buy at 3.2k each and you gain 100k every hour after repairs, potions, etc. you're looking at nearly 320 hours of grinding. For those who get an hour every day or every other day, that's a very long time to be working on one goal.
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Since we've been in the same guild for some time, I know a bit about your situation.

While I do understand what you are saying, you have to understand that the main goal of this game is to bring money into the pockets of the owners.

So yes, those who inject a lot of money into the game will have an edge over those who don't. They'll be able to buy the best equipment, all the cash shop items they want and such. But this wont make them good players if they are not to begin with.

Yes, those who spend a lot of time in this game will have an advantage over those who cannot. If I had a full time job, I would definitely not be level 98 by now. And people with disabilities are clearly at a disadventage here. Many of them don't have the money and cannot play as much as others.

But...

You don't need that 50 gold mount to run around. My cheap jag does the job as well as an expensive ugly green lion.

You don't need a full set of gold TT with 4 sockets set with the topmost shard refined to +12 to be able to perform in this game. Up to level 90, I almost only used standard 2* or 3* crafted/dropped items.

You don't need an hercule or phoenix. Granted, they help a lot, but on an other version, I made it to 91 with only a golem and a wolf as main pet.

Granted, the game would be more fun if I could buy all that I want, but I can't. So I try to go along with what i can put my hands on. I admit that having played another version of the game before helped me.

Equality between players exist mostly in pay-to-play games, where real life money don't play a part into what you can get/accomplish ingame (an even then....)

This game is a mirror of real life in many ways. Some rich people will have it easy, some poor ones will have it hard. And most of the others are sandwiched between those two extremes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • honkeycrusher
    honkeycrusher Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    do not do that
    edited July 2009
    Hey Hawk, Please ban that guy who posted the pics of dead dogs.

He deserves it.

You are way to lenient with this moron.

Also ban his main account, He clearly used a second account because he knew what he posted was against the forum rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I don't have the ability to ban anyone. That responsibility falls on the admins.
  • honkeycrusher
    edited July 2009
    Hey Hawk, Please ban that guy who posted the pics of dead dogs.

He deserves it.

You are way to lenient with this moron.

Also ban his main account, He clearly used a second account because he knew what he posted was against the forum rules.

Oh yes I have made a second account to conceal my hidden furry fetishs, please mount me my beloved Blancheneige, MOUNT MEEEE!!!

OH YESSS1@#!

also couponbug.com
    edited July 2009
    hawk wrote: »
    I don't have the ability to ban anyone. That responsibility falls on the admins.

Awww, sorry. I really thought you were one of the PWI official forum mods.

Mmm, ok, please report him to the admins then? b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    u can always make different class and you won't need to worry about costly pets. and you are level 72...u had to time to get to that lvl but no time to farm money for herc?
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Awww, sorry. I really thought you were one of the PWI official forum mods.

Mmm, ok, please report him to the admins then? b:laugh

All of the green tagged "mods" you see are volunteers, so none of us are actual PWE employees. The red tagged ones are the guys on the payroll - they do everything that we can't (like ban people).

Also it's as easy as PM'ing an admin (I would recommend eatswithspoons since hes quite active on the forums) to report someone like "Honkeycrusher".
    edited July 2009
    hawk wrote: »
    Also it's as easy as PM'ing an admin (I would recommend eatswithspoons since hes quite active on the forums) to report someone like "Honkeycrusher".

I would, but you erased the evidences b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• honkeycrusher
    edited July 2009
    I would, but you erased the evidences b:chuckle

I see you love bears!?
    I LOVE BEARS TOO, b:dirty

pedo20bear.th.png
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Ive made an oath to never spend money on "Free-to-play" games.
    Lets see how far I get in PWI without spending money before I quit :

EDIT: Wtf does dead dogs and pedobear have to do with spending/not spending money on an International MMORPG based on CHinese mythology..?

DOUBLE EDIT: What is SSI? If its a US thing I wouldnt know because I dont live in the USA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2009

I got as far as I am now without it.

FoxRunning, is that how your name is spelled in the game?
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    IMO honest opinion i think they are doin their best. U can buy gold ingame. And from my standpoint of being a gold seller (to keep the servers up) it shouldnt be all that hard to buy it ingame considering how fast my gold sells. Perhaps handicapped zhen price reduction can solve this delema.The only thing is that people might claim they are handicapped and are not. Maybe they can have a way to reduce the prices for em. its just my opinion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited July 2009

What you don't seem to realize is that some of us are on servers where the gold price has reached 180k+ each. Just for an example, say you grind on foxwing supremes for an hour. You might make about 100k if you're lucky on drops. The average price for one source of force or nix feather is around 3.2-3.5k on Dreamweaver (not including the brief discounted price from the sale). So let's do the math shall we? Assuming you buy at 3.2k each and you gain 100k every hour after repairs, potions, etc. you're looking at nearly 320 hours of grinding. For those who get an hour every day or every other day, that's a very long time to be working on one goal.

The newer servers also have a greater chance of earning money. Such as selling TT mats. I assure you that sanctuary's TT1-1, 1-2 drops are so cheap that its just a waste of time. You cannot even sell chintien armour shards for 500coins each. Tome fragments are also like 10k each. Yes, the newer and more competitive servers have higher gold prices, but also a higher chance of making money.

Also, you mentioned time... What difference does it make if you're in sanc/HT/dw/harshlands?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • nederlandse
    nederlandse Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited July 2009

EDIT: Wtf does dead dogs and pedobear have to do with spending/not spending money on an International MMORPG based on CHinese mythology..?

DOUBLE EDIT: What is SSI? If its a US thing I wouldnt know because I dont live in the USA.

SSI is goverment benefits you obtain after completing a certain number of work quarters (simplest way of putting it)

SSDI is same as SSI, but instead of working a certain number of quarters, you get it due to an INABILITY to work, be it physical handicap or mental problems.

it is possible to get both, but a pain in the **** to do so.

l\led, Level 4x Barbarian, Dreamweaver
    b:sad Had to leave his home in Kinetic b:sad
    (that's lower-case "L" btw)
    I love all these people who look at my level
    and assume I'm some nub that doesn't know
    what he's talking about... Sorry, I've been
    around since the East Coast servers launched.
    b:chuckle
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    thank you, guys, for understanding.b:heart

i've often wondered if someone would ever think of putting in a way that we could earn the feathers/sofs. my golems do fine for me, but from the beginning, last year when i started, i've wanted a phoenix to help me in the air, especially now, that the mobs are getting harder. have a piggy, but she has to really struggle to help me bring down the mobs now, and even watching her so carefully, dies so often.

or maybe the devs might let us catch the horses in the game, for us to ride or at least play as pets, as well as the kittens and pups you see all over in towns. they wouldnt be as good as the rares, or the beautiful ones you have to buy, but they would be nice pets

SSI is a government program that pays for some medical care, housing and food for the disabled. in my case, it was for PTSD, and since my husband has a job, it pays very little, but at least i have some med care. but rarely do we have enough to buy cash shop things, and never enough to gamble on feather boxes, eggs or the other chance items.

yes,Zoe, that is the correct spelling. its from a book about a Navajo girl who learned to be an Olympic level runner by running in the night, racing desert foxes.

akvgv6.gif
    I got as far as I am now without it.

FoxRunning, is that how your name is spelled in the game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    LinZeta - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    u can always make different class and you won't need to worry about costly pets. and you are level 72...u had to time to get to that lvl but no time to farm money for herc?

I've played this game since the end of March, that is how long it has taken me to get to lvl 73. I don't play EVERY day and my time is limited. It is not as easy as people make it seem! Being on a PVP server is challenging enough, but grinding every hour I have, to obtain the feathers or SoF needed for a legendary pet would drive me off the wall. I don't know how people do it. Fox, I know exactly how you feel. It relieves me that someone with the right mind set and words has spoken up about this.

The husband managed to gift me a panther mount, and since then everything I've had and owned has been due to hard work and dedication. It's VERY VERY HARD work, and not many people realize it. It's upsetting and aggravating seeing those red system announcements. I've seen SO many within the time frame that the packs have been on sale. I've felt like face-rolling over the keyboard and just giving up. I don't even have support from the husband, he just says "It's not even worth it!" It's hard hearing that when I've spent so much time playing a game I really enjoy.

But, there's always an up and down to everything. If it weren't for those scheming individuals trying to make a profit themselves, we wouldn't have the accessibility to those items despite our hate towards them. I don't even bother buying gold. I don't have the patience to bid and gamble. There is only so much in game you can do to make a profit and not feel scummy.

b:surrender
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    hmm i dont see why you have to buy gold to get them, even when gold inflates in price, feathers on my server were always 1.9-2.1k, sometimes its way cheaper just to buy them individually, than to gamble away off silly pet bags from the CS. it resulted in a 19m phoenix when feathers went down not too long ago
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I sound rotten but,who cares?

We all got our problems irl,and its nothing to do with devs in this game,or their prices.

Infact as gold and cash shop goes this is one of the easier games to make it rich.

Although...hey zoe i got a migraine hun,mind sparing me a few mil?:)
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    You sound more than rotten. I'd like to remind anyone from the states that its usually our disabled who has paid the taxes years before you ever started to pay for stuff you now enjoy. It is also them who has fought in wars and some left without limbs. They deserve to be respected period.

Apparently there are a lot who care, as this specific topic got plenty of response from people who do. HELLOO have you heard of a senior citizen discount? Elderly people usually get one because they are on limited income. It wouldn't be the first time they have earned that treatment. Unless you have ever dealt with a disability, you haven't a clue.

I have a cousin who is a social worker. Do you have any idea how many elderly people or those on disability (limited income) don't get to eat?
    Or the elderly man this last winter in michigan with dementia who forgot to pay his electric bill and they cut off his electricity in the middle of winter when it was like 20 below. He actually froze to death.

Anyways... I think that PWI could in fact try to plan things a little better. After all it is the hardcore longterm people that will continue to make their pay checks. And she's right about one thing, rich people are usually out doing things. People on disability or poverty stricken stick to games like this because they can't afford to do much else.

/giant wall of text.
    I sound rotten but,who cares?

We all got our problems irl,and its nothing to do with devs in this game,or their prices.

Infact as gold and cash shop goes this is one of the easier games to make it rich.

Although...hey zoe i got a migraine hun,mind sparing me a few mil?:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.