2nd Charac Choice-Wizard? Advantages?

Options
CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver
CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver Posts: 141 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Wizard
Hello! I am currently very happy as a Veno with a hercules, I had a Cleric but going to delete that one because I wasn't happy with it. I have gotten a handle on this game and have gotten a nice little sum of coins for myself on a regular farming/catshop routine. I want to spread out though and play one more character every other day.

I would love to have 2 characters in my Faction especially for FB runs and damage dealing. I am not interested in Barbs because they can't be female, not interested in BM's either but Wizard/Mage interests because of the spell casting.

What are the advantages of being a Wizard? Are there many skills? I heard it's costly but I'm not overly worried about that considering the amount of prepaid cards I have gotten lol.

One last question, how come I don't see many Wizards around and instead see all other classes? I will continue to read up on Wizards but wanted your personal opinions of your class. Thank you! b:pleased
Post edited by CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    wizard is a very difficult class and most people quit.
    Yes there is a lot of spells you can attain
    Once you learn how to play your wizard shouldnt be much of a problem
    Wizards are one of the highest damage dealing classes(i would say the highest but im being modest^^)
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I run a Wizard as a second character. It is challenging and fun.
    I initially started it due to the low number of Wizards in my faction.

There is a lot more to think about instead of just letting the pet tank all the time.
    I think it is worthwhile as in there are more opportunities for late game stuff to do as well.

Read the Stickies and heed the advice, because it is easy to slip into a character that is more frustrating than fun to play with the Wizard class.

my 2 cents.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Wizards can do three types of damage, attack from afar, knockback enemies, use good AOE at a low level (Dragon's Breath anyone?), sleep an enemy (only for 4 seconds though), and heal themselves as well.

That said, they are arguably the squishiest class. Until endgame they have abysmal Pdef, (unless sharded) and most clerics could 2-shot them. Crappy HP as well unless you shard and refine like crazy. And no flying until level 30 (20 if you get a CS sword) which gets really old, really fast.

I've got a wizard alt, but I prefer clerics. Vanguard Spirit+ Plume Shell+Ironheart spam FTW. ;D
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    If you want a secondary damage dealer you're probably better off going with archer or fist BMs. Those are also useful in HH and better for FBs/etc. Wizards are quite expensive if you want to make them able to DD properly while keeping some survivability. Also, in my opinion, if your wizard isnt your main it's not worth it, it's a pretty gimped class. But you can always try and see if you enjoy it.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Garmr - Harshlands
    Garmr - Harshlands Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    From my experience, and watching the damage done by others in my squads, I'd actually say Wizard and Cleric are the best DDs, at least early in the game. I was on my Archer last night (full dex) and the Cleric a level below me was doing far more damage than I was. It was impressive. And easy on my MP, I just had to fling a couple arrows while his spells were going and tadah, Dead Mob. It was beautiful.

I find Wizard to be the most enjoyable class to play for PvE, due to the great selection of skills (customize to the mob to take advantage of peak elemental damage!), animations, and smooth flow of skill casting. For PvP it gets a bit more scary because of said squishiness, but my wizard is still 3x so I have to wait a couple dozen more levels before things lighten up. Wiz's high damage balances well with the casting times, so the mobs are usually almost dead (or dead) by the time they reach you. Important thing is to choose your skills wisely and keep them leveled, and have some Life Powder on hand when you go on a quest that has more stubborn mobs. (On my Archer, I spend more time with the mob right up on me than my Wizard did at the same levels. It's definitely more annoying that it takes a bit longer for them to die. The Pdef is a bit better on archer though.)

Shame you don't want to try barb, it's my second favorite class. I'm more likely to work on the PvP aspect with this one because the HP bar promotes a little more security ;) PvE it's also great since i run as High Dex. Rarely Miss = great DoT relative to Vit barbs. Anyway, going offtopic.

I say give the Wiz a try. Don't delete your cleric because you can just keep it idle for a while in case you ever want to go back. It'll also be good as an extra storage space or a sales character. Just read up on the forum here about skills, keep yours leveled, and learn to kite since you'll probably be wearing robes. Light Armor is the kite-free option but isn't too common on the PvE servers since its real benefit comes in PvP.
    Leader of Howl on Harshlands (Recruiting.)

"Now Garmr howls loud before Gnipahellir, The fetters will burst, and the wolf run free..."

Howl! The winds of Ragnarok come borne upon this she-wolf's feet.
  • CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver
    CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    From my experience, and watching the damage done by others in my squads, I'd actually say Wizard and Cleric are the best DDs, at least early in the game. I was on my Archer last night (full dex) and the Cleric a level below me was doing far more damage than I was. It was impressive. And easy on my MP, I just had to fling a couple arrows while his spells were going and tadah, Dead Mob. It was beautiful.

I find Wizard to be the most enjoyable class to play for PvE, due to the great selection of skills (customize to the mob to take advantage of peak elemental damage!), animations, and smooth flow of skill casting. For PvP it gets a bit more scary because of said squishiness, but my wizard is still 3x so I have to wait a couple dozen more levels before things lighten up. Wiz's high damage balances well with the casting times, so the mobs are usually almost dead (or dead) by the time they reach you. Important thing is to choose your skills wisely and keep them leveled, and have some Life Powder on hand when you go on a quest that has more stubborn mobs. (On my Archer, I spend more time with the mob right up on me than my Wizard did at the same levels. It's definitely more annoying that it takes a bit longer for them to die. The Pdef is a bit better on archer though.)

Shame you don't want to try barb, it's my second favorite class. I'm more likely to work on the PvP aspect with this one because the HP bar promotes a little more security ;) PvE it's also great since i run as High Dex. Rarely Miss = great DoT relative to Vit barbs. Anyway, going offtopic.

I say give the Wiz a try. Don't delete your cleric because you can just keep it idle for a while in case you ever want to go back. It'll also be good as an extra storage space or a sales character. Just read up on the forum here about skills, keep yours leveled, and learn to kite since you'll probably be wearing robes. Light Armor is the kite-free option but isn't too common on the PvE servers since its real benefit comes in PvP.

I don't want to play a big burly male Barb lol. No thanks. :)

I won't be trying PVP and have no interest in it whatsover. I'm PVE all the way. I am already enjoying my level 11 Wizard and look forward to when she is level 29.

Thank you for your good advice!