Running multiple instances of the game off the same files

Options
Solandri - Heavens Tear
Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
Since this patch is a big one, I thought I'd re-ask a question that never got an official answer in the tech support forums.

I have a networked file server. I have multiple computers in the house for playing the game. To save disk space and to avoid the long wait times for these huge patches to download, can I run each instance of the game (on separate computers) off the same copy of the game files? That is, I only keep the game files on the file server, but each computer runs their copy of the game by accessing those files over the network. Does PWI consider me to be in violation of the TOS if I do that?

Comments

• BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Spoons stated in another thread today or yesterday that as long as you are NOT running more than one client on a computer then you are not in terms of service. If you are asking what I think you are tho, yes it would be a breech. As you are running multiple clients from the same system. Even if it is a file server.

No, I'm not a GM :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Why don't you pay for the shipping and get a copy of the basic game sent to you

Link is here
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That isn't his issue. He has a file server. A place to store everything, so there is not a lot of room taken up on computers by files. Kind of like a file warehouse. Then as each computer needs access to the files since they are on a network they can access them as needed. The issue isn't that he needs a disc of the game. Its that he doesn't want to take up the room on each computer with the same files he could store on one server.

Why don't you pay for the shipping and get a copy of the basic game sent to you

Link is here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That isn't his issue. He has a file server. A place to store everything, so there is not a lot of room taken up on computers by files. Kind of like a file warehouse. Then as each computer needs access to the files since they are on a network they can access them as needed. The issue isn't that he needs a disc of the game. Its that he doesn't want to take up the room on each computer with the same files he could store on one server.

Hes got both problems time and space.

If he wants the proper answer just send a ticket into the GM's
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Wrong, its not merely a problem of time or space. Its a matter of preference. I know where he's coming from. But a good rule of thumb is if you have to ask if its legal then its probably not. I forget that you can PM the Gm's. That is actually a great idea. I've pm spoons a few times and he's very quick to respond. Usually within minutes if he's on. If he's not online its always within 24 hours.

Hes got both problems time and space.

If he wants the proper answer just send a ticket into the GM's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That sounds like it's a violation of the terms of service to me in the way you describe it. But it's like 50/50. Send a ticket to customer support for more information to be safe
This discussion has been closed.