What is the best pet for pulling?!

Options
Delmarte - Lost City
Delmarte - Lost City Posts: 216 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
Not tanking on land or in water or in air, and not PKing. What is the best pet for pulling bosses and mobs to where they can be dealt with?

It sounds odd but a prickly oddfoot pup or a sable miniki seem like good choices for lower levels. They have low attack but decent defences and dodging, and they're faster than magmites.

So if you could have just one more pet slot, then what would your choice for pulling be?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If I'm here I'm bored or procrastinating. b:cute
Post edited by Delmarte - Lost City on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Armored Bear or Eldergoth Marksman / Sharpshooter
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Baraya - Dreamweaver
    Baraya - Dreamweaver Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    You'll want something that can be commanded to attack from a nice distance away and that has good speed. Beyond that, many pets would be good. I like to use my snow hare for that stuff, but that's just my preference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Delmarte - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Options
    How about the pets I mentioned? Are those good? I mean you don't need DPS for pulling. it's everything else that counts.

http://www.ecatomb.net/petstat.php
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baraya - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Just check the best pets thread for the fastest. They'll probably have good attack distance, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Just check the best pets thread for the fastest. They'll probably have good attack distance, too.

I think the myth of speed = better lure has gone out the door.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    In my opinion (after working with Meliah) the ideal luring pet would have max leveled tough and slow.

I have not been able to find any pets which come with both skills built-in, but no one seems to have a list of all available pets, either. Boost could also be nice.

But Longshot is right -- unless you have a really good luring pet, genie lures are probably safer. Venom stinger, for example, works nicely.
  • __Longshot__ - Sanctuary
    __Longshot__ - Sanctuary Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Use the genie!!!!
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    In my opinion (after working with Meliah) the ideal luring pet would have max leveled tough and slow.

I have not been able to find any pets which come with both skills built-in, but no one seems to have a list of all available pets, either.

There are some bosses and phys mobs that resist slow.

I've found that using phys/mag tanker (armored bear) with Tough and Threaten is good for clearing out the phys mobs, then a magic tanker with slow (carapest terror comes with it) for the magic mobs. I could put slow on my armored bear, but I like it's skill set the way it is.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Use the genie!!!!

Cost per use, and I think Tame works as good?
  • Baraya - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    I think the myth of speed = better lure has gone out the door.

Actually, what I was thinking was that the fast pets usually have a nice distance. Now that I think about it, though, my slow tanker has a nice distance too. ^_^ Eh, just ignore me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That part confused me so I just overlooked it. For distance, a ranged pet is nice. After sending it in, you can back up just under the distance it's going to save you by using range. (without pet resetting)

Eventually you'll find yourself luring in tight conditions where a debuff lurer is nice.
  • Lolite - Heavens Tear
    Lolite - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    How do you make marksman do a long ranged attack b:sad I can't find that thread which explains it...b:cry
    Moved to WoW b:bye
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    There's a highlight around the pet's default skill. Right click it to un-highlight it.
  • Delmarte - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Yah, I think I will us a snow hare on my alt. I can't afford or am too low a level for the other stuff. And it seems like it can double as a magic tank if I need it instead the magmite, so it's cost effective. (I got it for 25k lol)

Too bad. The Marksman seems like the real best choice because of its range. Oh well. Thx people!

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Yah, I think I will us a snow hare on my alt. I can't afford or am too low a level for the other stuff. And it seems like it can double as a magic tank if I need it instead the magmite, so it's cost effective. (I got it for 25k lol)

Too bad. The Marksman seems like the real best choice because of its range. Oh well. Thx people!

b:victory

Well, marksman is free, and you will be in their area for quests at 46. So not all is lost :)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Liebe - Heavens Tear
    Liebe - Heavens Tear Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I like to use my Kowlin because its fast b:cute
    9x Veno - Liebe
    9x Cleric - /\ngellus
    8x Archer - Xaixu
    6x Barb - \/ladamir
    Heaven's Tear b:dirty
  • Vixe - Heavens Tear
    Vixe - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I like to use my Kowlin because its fast b:cute

It seems there's a huge argument on which pet is best for luring; either the kowlin or the marksman. I think it's really based on player's preference and stuff, really. Any pet is good for luring, but the best depends on who's behind the computer. I'm with you, though, I like using my kowlin. ^^

P.S. HI LIEBE!!! =D
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    It seems there's a huge argument on which pet is best for luring; either the kowlin or the marksman. I think it's really based on player's preference and stuff, really. Any pet is good for luring, but the best depends on who's behind the computer. I'm with you, though, I like using my kowlin. ^^

P.S. HI LIEBE!!! =D

Actually Marksman is far superior for multiple reasons. Some people just need bells and whistles to tell them when to un-summon. Those bells and whistles don't really play a part in how good the pet is for luring, it's more how good the pet is for the user /setup. -(Can't blame the pet because you're on a 4" monitor, or have ADD.)
  • Anders - Lost City
    Anders - Lost City Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Urself Ftw
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I personally don't really like the marksman because it's ugly, slow, and has too much of a start up lag to attack with its .5 attack speed. Also it doesn't have nearly as much range as I thought it would before I got it. Leveling it is a pain because it sucks attack and def wise and I keep missing my cmag. I personally am going to exchange for a cub when I get one or a knowlin at 60 and see what he's like. I just seen the red fire glow when he attacks. It's cool yet maybe overdone lol; but I know the knowlin is crazy fast.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I like very Cuddly Pup. It's small, cute, less expensive than Kowlin and very fast too. Have good hp, dmg and def. I pulled mobs in Froscovered City(single mode) which was like 89 lvl and my Cuddly(61 lvl) rarer take dmg and if, HP was like 75% or 50% not less. b:victory
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Delmarte - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Well, it took forever to do this but I did it, and it was all thanks to my snow hare! (And the volcanic magmite of course.) Having another pet for a puller is hard as heck when you're trying to level 3 more pets. But being able to do this is worth it.

20090716220659.png

b:pleased

PS: Not that I'm the first person to be able to solo a FB at level 31, but I'm still proud of myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I personally don't really like the marksman because it's ugly, slow, and has too much of a start up lag to attack with its .5 attack speed. Also it doesn't have nearly as much range as I thought it would before I got it. Leveling it is a pain because it sucks attack and def wise and I keep missing my cmag. I personally am going to exchange for a cub when I get one or a knowlin at 60 and see what he's like. I just seen the red fire glow when he attacks. It's cool yet maybe overdone lol; but I know the knowlin is crazy fast.

I *think* this is sarcasm, but for those that don't get it:

A projectile from a marskman is faster than a Kowlin. Attack speed plays no part in single hit luring (unsummon as soon as the attack starts). The marksman has adequate range to avoid short range AoE on multiple bosses, spends much less time if any in aggro radius when luring than any non ranged pet, and can set you back outside of AoE on some bosses for healing when assisting on a boss. As stated by multiple people here, pet atk is over rated: Going from 4 or 3 to 3 or 2 hits on same level mobs consistently can take a large difference on pATK, and a pet skill like Howl is more likely to help kill faster. Howl isn't nearly as effective on a slow pet like a magmite.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    pet atk is over rated
    wrong. it only does not matter in pulling. pet attack has a huge amount of importance in keeping aggro, as golems and scorpions do it way better than pets like cub who have half their attack.
    A projectile from a marskman is faster than a Kowlin.
    kowlins can run faster than a normal mount.. and fast as a spurred mount at 100. the projectile and time it takes to get off is NOT faster than a kowlin

quit misleading people, golem hater.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Options
    wrong. it only does not matter in pulling. pet attack has a huge amount of importance in keeping aggro, as golems and scorpions do it way better than pets like cub who have half their attack.

I use an Armored Bear with even less attack, and have no issues with it and aggro. People who use these pets learn to work effectively with them and that applied skills that don't even cause damage produce decent aggro.
    kowlins can run faster than a normal mount.. and fast as a spurred mount at 100. the projectile and time it takes to get off is NOT faster than a kowlin

Actually the projectile is much faster than the kowlin, but it's not like we have a stat on it. It's just plain obvious though. The time it takes to throw the projectile: again irrelevant to luring.
    quit misleading people, golem hater.

quit flaming with nonsensical posts golem worshipper?
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I use an Armored Bear with even less attack, and have no issues with it and aggro. People who use these pets learn to work effectively with them and that applied skills that don't even cause damage produce decent aggro.
    using how many aggro skills/how heavily invested are they in levels? a good veno can easily steal aggro from an armored bear. its base skills arent enough to keep aggro.
    Actually the projectile is much faster than the kowlin, but it's not like we have a stat on it.
    you cant prove that, so youre going off opinion.
  • Delmarte - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Well, it's a little off topic but it's my thread so, has anyone soloed untamed FB 19 at lv 31 and under?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    With a golem or similar tanking pet you should be doing just fine in FB19 at L31.

Knowlin and Marksman are both good lurers, if you know how to use them. Marksman has a lot more versatility.... but then again, I have 10 pets slots...

I don't NEED the animation to lure, if you're worth your salt as a veno you don't AND even if you lure badly or unsummon too slow and your pet dies, the mob will still come for you anyway, so it's not like you need some fantastic tank to pull, anything that moves will work, BUT the animation makes it easier. Speed HELPS the pet get past mobs and take a minimum of hits, if you can get out of magic channeling range fast enough, just like with player skills, the mob channel will cancel and it will run up in range and start channelling again, and by that time you should have gotten to the boss/mob in question, hit, and unsummoned.

I hate those giant monkeys, they're so ugly. We all know tweakz hates the golem, so don't call people irrational for hating the monkey =p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]