Veno w/o nix or herc?

2»

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    killajemz wrote: »
    i dunno about all these pets, ive had my sharp tooth wolfling and its lvl 63 now and its doing me just fine

hp 1782, phy att 1212, phy def 4161, mag def 4577, acc 1404,
    let me know what u think
    Yeah some people do fine with them, and RL friend of mine has used a Rhinodrake he calls "Sherman" for almost two years now, another uses a similar one and calls it "Brodie". Personally, I preferred the herc, which is why I got one (then a Seamonster on the second veno), but if it fulfills both yours and the squad your looking for's goal, then good on you no matter which pet you choose.

On another note, that was a hell of a necro.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    whahahhaha how stupid! the pet is not the" main" ITS the ** veno - and her ** skills lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    killajemz wrote: »
    i dunno about all these pets, ive had my sharp tooth wolfling and its lvl 63 now and its doing me just fine

hp 1782, phy att 1212, phy def 4161, mag def 4577, acc 1404,
    let me know what u think

If u learn to use Amplify damage on bosses , put bramble guard to the appropriate squad memebrs ( barbs BMs , maybe sins or archers if those 2 wish) use ironwood scarab , purge bosses and pass sparks to those who need and do decent amount of dmg + protect squishy guys in squad , then ur doing 90% of what a good veno should do imo. The pet can come after that , but with the right skills , it can support u pretty well.

yes u will not find some squads for certain dungeons easily , but hey , that's why a faction is for , to do things together for fun.

Overall it is u playing this game for urself , and if u do have fun that is what matters , having herc or not. just find people who respect you for ur abilities as a veno (mentioned above)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Euer_Bunny - Sanctuary
    Euer_Bunny - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    If u learn to use Amplify damage on bosses , put bramble guard to the appropriate squad memebrs ( barbs BMs , maybe sins or archers if those 2 wish) use ironwood scarab , purge bosses and pass sparks to those who need and do decent amount of dmg + protect squishy guys in squad , then ur doing 90% of what a good veno should do imo. The pet can come after that , but with the right skills , it can support u pretty well.

Above is so true. The Herc and Nix are nice, but one can't really appreciate what a veno does when using these pets. I have had a herc for so long that I never needed to learn to amp or purge. Only after going through FCC, I learned that no one really cares if you have a herc at end game groups, but whether you have amp, purge or lending hand. I have been saying to my faction that I have been nothing but an extra DD in FCC and the herc isn't exactly tearing it up with damage. But I use my pure magic skills to work and can do a decent amount of damage without taking aggro from the tank. I have also recently added a pet with debuff skills to help while I am in groups.

I am not advocating not getting a herc, it definitely helped a lot between 20 and 100 for me, but if you can find traditional groups with a tank, a cleric, and DDs, then they can definitely use a debuffer in the veno.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Above is so true. The Herc and Nix are nice, but one can't really appreciate what a veno does when using these pets. I have had a herc for so long that I never needed to learn to amp or purge. Only after going through FCC, I learned that no one really cares if you have a herc at end game groups, but whether you have amp, purge or lending hand. I have been saying to my faction that I have been nothing but an extra DD in FCC and the herc isn't exactly tearing it up with damage. But I use my pure magic skills to work and can do a decent amount of damage without taking aggro from the tank. I have also recently added a pet with debuff skills to help while I am in groups.

I am not advocating not getting a herc, it definitely helped a lot between 20 and 100 for me, but if you can find traditional groups with a tank, a cleric, and DDs, then they can definitely use a debuffer in the veno.

QFT.

The herc/nix compliment the veno. They don't make her.
  • Seqbridge - Archosaur
    Seqbridge - Archosaur Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    herc/nix are nice but not a necessity. sure a herc will help you past your culti bosses etc more easily, but if you have a good faction you wouldn't need one too badly.
    a reason why people want herc venos in squads though is due to it's survivability against AOE bosses, where you don't have to keep healing your pet = more DD from you

but venos at higher lvls are meant to be more of a support class with amp and lending hand anyway. (correct me if im wrong though, not of appropriate lvl to be exactly commenting on that, it's just from what i gather from reading other threads)

btw necroooo, the OP was in 2009?
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    but venos at higher lvls are meant to be more of a support class with amp and lending hand anyway. (correct me if im wrong though, not of appropriate lvl to be exactly commenting on that, it's just from what i gather from reading other threads)

This is more or less true, although venos tend to fill the support and DD roles. Generally, it's support if you can, but DD if the support won't work/isn't needed.

For example - 100+ high APS FF runs generally don't need amp/soul degeneration. The bosses are dead before you can get back into mage form. Many Nirvana bosses are immune to Amplify Damage.

But then there still are plenty of support roles. One example is RB: ticket runs in the first 2 waves and farming the back room for beans. Later waves venos will often grab a boss and keep him occupied as well as help manage waves (along side the barb) for the rest of the squad. Warsong is another endgame instance where venos really shine.

But regardless of whether you're gearing yourself for support or not, you do need to be able to dish out a fair amount of damage.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    If you want into an endgame TW faction, prepare to shell out for both, or at least one. Rank 8, or Nirvana gear as well.

Alternative is to re-roll as a different class.

That's just if you want to get into a TW faction. I've got a Nix... Though I'm not sure how much help it will be in TW against 180+ heavy cash-shoppers. >_> So, I'm leveling my Archer for TW instead.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • maestro120
    maestro120 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    For example - 100+ high APS FF runs generally don't need amp/soul degeneration. The bosses are dead before you can get back into mage form. Many Nirvana bosses are immune to Amplify Damage.

To be quite frank... 100+ high APS FF runs don't need any other classes, full stop... and that includes Clerics/Barbs/Venos/Wizzis/etc... for the exact same reason you gave above... bosses are dead in a heart beat. This is all simply part of the unbalance to the game that everyone's been moaning about since the introduction of aps.