Wepon Question

Options
EntityZero - Sanctuary
EntityZero - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Archer
So ive seen a lot of people posting that Wind and Clouds is the best PVE weapon for archers 70-80ish. Well, heres my dilemma.

My 2 weapons:
-Wind and clouds +3 (beautiful garnet shard)
-Unicorn +4 (flawless garnet shard)

3314-4886 damage, 19% crit, .67 / second with the W&C
3512-5357 damage, 18% crit, .77 / second with the Unicorn

So in my eyes, my unicorn is better (aside from the crit and attack speed) but what honestly is better for PVE? I cant really see a difference but I have a lot of people saying Unicorn is a bad weapon for PVE.. yet mine seems to perform just fine.

Help?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by EntityZero - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Prediction - Lost City
    Prediction - Lost City Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    w&c for pve
    FPW > PWI b:victory
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    3314-4886 damage, 18% crit, .67 / second with the W&C
    3512-3357 damage, 19% crit, .77 / second with the Unicorn

Please fix this.

- The max damage of Unicorn cannot possibly be less than its minimum damage.

- I think you mixed the other things up. W&C gives you a 19% crit rate (+8~9 dex), and has an attack speed of .77 attacks / second.
  • Aerynx - Sanctuary
    Aerynx - Sanctuary Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    This is what I've heard:

xbow = best pvp weapon for archers
    slingshot = best pve weapon for archers
    bow = jack of all trades, meaning that it works for everything but it does not excel at one thing.

It seems that with the refines and shards that you added i would go for the bow too.

EDIT: I just saw Eleenacostel's post. No wonder why something didn't seem right lol
  • EntityZero - Sanctuary
    EntityZero - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Please fix this.

- The max damage of Unicorn cannot possibly be less than its minimum damage.

- I think you mixed the other things up. W&C gives you a 19% crit rate (+8~9 dex), and has an attack speed of .77 attacks / second.

1) Yeah lil typo.
    2) Again, typo lol.
    This is what I've heard:

xbow = best pvp weapon for archers
    slingshot = best pve weapon for archers
    bow = jack of all trades, meaning that it works for everything but it does not excel at one thing.

It seems that with the refines and shards that you added i would go for the bow too.

EDIT: I just saw Eleenacostel's post. No wonder why something didn't seem right lol

Again, typo o.O
    Did you mean:

3314-4886 damage, 18% crit, .67 / second with the Unicorn
    3357-3512 damage, 19% crit, .77 / second with the W&C

?

If so, your base dps with your W&C would be 3147 and your base dps with your Unicorn would be 3241. So, if everything else were equal, your unicorn would be slightly better. But if I were you, I would try both. If you kill 40 monsters with one and then 40 monsters with the other, you should get an idea of which works better for you on those monsters?

Ive been using both and the only thing I like about W&C is that I crit noticeably more often even though its only 1% difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kusider - Heavens Tear
    Kusider - Heavens Tear Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    dps is damage per second remember, not just per attack. Using ecatomb on my char... I took off my original weapon and used unrefined W&C/Unicorn.

W&C = 3102-4690.
    Average = 3896/0.77 seconds
    My dps with W&C = 3896*0.77 = 3000/s

Unicorn physical attack = 3185-5043
    Unicorn average = 4114/0.67 seconds
    My dps with Unicorn = 4114*0.67 = 2756/s

This matters most in terms of grinding and PvE because you use less skills and you can often get that extra attack. Though when you're skilling out in PvP, you probably do not want an ugly sling with no real spike damage. Skills are not affected by weapon attack rate. This has been said before.
    edited July 2009
    Options
    3314-4886 damage, 19% crit, .67 / second with the W&C
    3512-5357 damage, 18% crit, .77 / second with the Unicorn

W&C Average Damage: 4100
    Unicorn Average Damage: 4434.5

Unicorn deals 334.5 more damage per hit, on average, but take into account that it is refined slightly better. An extra refinement on WatC gives it a base damage increase of 20, which, if you use this helpful formula that Lady Annor provided:

Total Damage = (1+[dexterity/100]+[Skill Multiplier]+[Bow Mastery])x(Equipment Physical) + Static Skill Bonus

you'll see the difference in damage is fairly negligible.

That being said, the reason why WatC is better than Unicorn, for PvE, is due to its attack speed bonus. Please see this for more details (2nd post, specifically): Archer Attack Speed Basics.
  • f22araptor
    f22araptor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    so could i use soulsmasher for grinding?
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    OK, I have a question, how much W&C sells for? Can I buy it for 500k?
    I kill things b:victory
    edited July 2009
    Options
    f22araptor wrote: »
    so could i use soulsmasher for grinding?

Yes. I do.

Without the Gloom effect, it is roughly comparable to Wind and the Clouds. With the Gloom effect, it is better.

In reply to the cost of Wind and the Cloud, it costs 3 Mysterious Chips (plus some money) at the Mysterious Merchant in One Thousand Streams. Practically speaking, it is easier to find a pre-made one for cheaper; search for one with 2 sockets.